Thomas Cook Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Thomas Cook CEO Peter Fankhauser
Peter Fankhauser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some great people in this business (in 11 reviews)

• nice people, super locations, beach, sun, views (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours over and above core hours are not recognised (in 14 reviews)

• No clear direction from Senior Management (in 9 reviews)

1. "In retrospect I'd rather have done a Kurt Cobain"

Former Employee - ITSC in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - ITSC in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The low level people who are committed to making it better and social aspect are good.

Cons

The management structure is not flat as they claim by any stretch of the imagination. More managers conflicting which results in reduced productivity, outsourced support to countries that have zero english speaking ability. Painfully obvious clueless management. Favouritism, one set of rules for one and another for someone else, failure to identify and capitalize on talent...the list goes on...

Advice to Management

Stop trying to save your own miserable hides by hiding under all the red tape and passing the buck. The only success you've achieved thus far is turning vibrant lively employees into a bunch of ambling dry lifeless husks.

2. "Over 10 years of service"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in North East (India)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in North East (India)

Pros

Ability to find the cheapest deals for yourself. Reasonable discount on own holidays, but only if you have worked many years.

Cons

Treated like a slave. No breaks, no organisation, no consistency. There is a lack of communication, and it's different rules for different people. Your bullied into working overtime and not getting paid for it, and bullied into joing Facebook pages which never stop from morning till night.

Advice to Management

Value your loyal employees, instead of having a high turnover of staff that don't really care about the job. Make targets more realistic, and stop expecting to run shops on 2 members of staff. There needs to be more praise, instead of constantly being put down by higher management. Treat us like humans, instead of a payroll number.

"Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think Thomas Cook is a good company to learn and move forward.
    - Always pay at the en of the month
    -Cheap holiday

Cons

-I have to work at least 15 mins without being paid.
    -Never had a Saturday off in one year
    -Ridiculous targets
    -Poor training

Advice to Management

When I first started working for Thomas Cook I was left on my desk with customers with 0 support from managament.
    Good place to learn and move forward.

"Thomas Cook Experience"

Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Information available to you if you want to increase your destination knowledge.

Discounts on holidays.

Cons

I worked here for 4 and a half years and when I left I didn't receive a letter from the company, reference or nothing. Just a card and some chocolate from my colleagues.

Victimisation by bullying manager.

Unnecessary disciplinary action taken on myself and others.

Catty cliques which have formed over the years.

No educational trips.

Management question and question why customers didn't book even if there is a perfectly understandable reason. My manager would call the customers to check if I was telling the truth about why they didn't book.

Advice to Management

There are more constructive ways to manage people, everyone is different so should be managed differently and treated with respect no matter what their age.

Thomas Cook Response

May 25, 2017 – Senior Resourcing Manager

Hello, I am very sorry that this might have happened during your time at Thomas Cook. If you’re happy to speak with a member of HR we would like to investigate this for you. If you could contact... More

"morale at an all time low"

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Holiday discounts, but the amount of discount is no where near as good as it used to be.

Cons

Pay does not reflect the pressure and conditions we are under. IT systems are abysmal, there seems to be one rule for management and one for general staff. You are expected to work very long hours, have constant pressure to the point that it has made me ill. It is impossible to take all your annual leave as nearly every request submitted is turned down.

Advice to Management

Start appreciating your staff, good staff are leaving at very fast rate. Put staff first and they will put the customer first.

"Think twice before you join"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice new office to work in.

Cons

Management too focused on what they do now and numbers and not the people, knowledge and experience they bring.
    Departmental snobbery, major communication issues, no visible governance. Sinking ship syndrome.

Too political and a lot of cliques within the organisation that shouldn't really exist. Sometimes acts like a new company rather than an established one.

People not given any time to prove/shine and bring experience, knowledge and NEW ideas leading to "we do it this way" syndrome.

Advice to Management

Everyone has a voice you need to listen to them. Embrace change and invest and trust your people.

"run run run!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

if you are ambitious enough and don't value your relations with others, you can have opportunities to grow.
    Ciklum is the best that happened to Thomas Cook, but still they are not recognised as such.
    Everyone is free to work from home as they need.

Cons

There is no real development here. It's only surviving the jungle of politics and internal fights and transformations. They don't even get to know what they want for an outsourcing strategy.
    They pay under the average and don't do regular increases.
    They don't follow any rule, just politics and friendships.

Advice to Management

if you care about devs, show it

8. "Cornershop"

Current Employee - Group Director Level in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Group Director Level in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can not think of anything - it is like being in a care home, or a retirement home... Not inspirational

Cons

Too big, full of old-traditionally minded people, who have not seen anything other than TC for 15-20 years, have no idea what other companies do, or what customers want.
    Creative finance to keep numbers reasonable and continued cost cutting, no chance for change - until significant change in management.

Advice to Management

Find new jobs - you are not in the right place.

"Joke of a company"

Pros

Training abroad
    inclusive
    bad experience turned to a life lesson

Cons

- Unorganised chaos
    - Disrespectful staff
    - Unfair pay
    - Confidence ruiners

Advice to Management

Treat people with a bit of respect and attempt to not ruin young workers confidence!

10. "Customer Services at Thomas Cook"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Larbert, Scotland (UK)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Larbert, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The company experiences very high staff turn over at both team leader and management levels so career advancement is a possibility.

Cons

None of the managers are skilled at managing or developing a company consistently. There are weekly changes of direction and policy, including 180 degree reversals.No training and no product knowledge passed to staff dealing directly with customers.

Advice to Management

Management need to listen to their customers and their front line staff to develop a coherent policy to enhance customer experience.