Thomas Cook Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Thomas Cook CEO Peter Fankhauser
Peter Fankhauser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some great people in this business (in 12 reviews)

• New working environment, the open plan layout includes senior management so they are not tucked away in closed offices (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely tiring, long hours and airport runs in the middle of the night (in 16 reviews)

• No clear direction from Senior Management (in 9 reviews)

1. "Company do not back up their staff and don’t support their staff"

Current Employee - Cabin Crew in Littlehampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Cabin Crew in Littlehampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good travel opportunities and good pay. Mostly pleasant staff. Easily able to contact management. Variety in travel routes and hours worked.

Cons

Unsociable hours, bad staff treatment. Lack of reliability in getting your full pay of commission this must be monitored monthly.

Advice to Management

Treat staff better

"Was great at first then the life and fun was sucked out of it"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- People, had some great colleagues.
    - Used to be a fun place to be

Cons

- Salaries - terrible and nowhere near market rate (at my last salary review I was told they had benchmarked it - I left shortly after and got a 30% pay increase by leaving into a similar level role
    - Workload since dramatically reducing finance headcout
    - Was put under redundancy consultation twice in 2 years, no job security
    - Profit improvement focused on chopping costs rather than business growth - Thomas Cook are not even the number 2 operator any more since being overtaken by Jet2!! (who have many former Thomas Cook employees....)
    - Too many old faces who are getting senior roles on reputation rather than ability
    - Little recognition for a job well done

3. "Cliques and Old Timers. The senior IT management is not great.."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

some great people at TC

Cons

Lots of people who should have left a long time ago.. A mix of new blood and people who have been at TC between 10-25 years.

Advice to Management

Look at your exec management - teach them how to manage.. some of them are appalling. They do not know how to manage people.

Thomas Cook Response

Nov 3, 2017 – Senior Resourcing Manager

Hi, We really appreciate it when people take the time to leave us some feedback and I would like to let you know that we always share this with the business areas so we can make a difference for our... More

4. "Not an Analyst role."

Current Employee - Revenue Management Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Revenue Management Analyst in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good work life balance. Work will stay in the office.
    - Recently renovated offices.
    - Academy training programmes (not role specific though)
    - Good synergy between different teams across the business.
    - Thorough induction
    - Travel benefits are excellent.

Cons

- The role is purely an implementer job, the limited systems mean the majority of your time will be fixing issues or running tasks which can easily be automated. The role involves little to no financial analysis or training to do so.
    - Negative outlook on performance, people going above and beyond in the role are not recognised for their achievements.
    - Poor compensation package compared to industry standard's for this role.
    - No clear company vision. Same mistakes repeated year after year with next to no learning from upper management.
    - Management roles on service length rather than merit. Limited career opportunities within this role.
    - Higher management seem to have little to no trust in the Revenue Analysts. Future of the role seems bleak.

Advice to Management

Listen to your analysts more, we're right in the heart of current trading!

Thomas Cook Response

Sep 25, 2017 – Resourcing Apprentice

Thank you for taking the time to leave us some feedback we really appreciate that, we also listen to what people say and take everything on board, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

5. "Treated like a number"

Former Contractor - Overseas Representative in Thessaloníki (Greece)
    Former Contractor - Overseas Representative in Thessaloníki (Greece)

I worked at Thomas Cook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to travel around europe

Cons

Employees treated like number - not valued

Advice to Management

Treat employees better

"Lack of incentive"

Pros

The only good thing about working at Thomas cook is the people that you work with, they are the loveliest people and are alway laughing and bubbly regardless of what is going on.

Cons

Minimum wage, no incentives unless you work in a city store, people higher up make changes that are only at the interest to their pockets not their staff or customers.

Advice to Management

Think about the retail staff that do the selling and make the company the money.

"It is mentally draining"

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Have a laugh with work colleagues in your branch.

15% discount of TCTO holidays, however this used to be a lot more - Thomas Cook is becoming so much more right.

Incentives, however I earn £1 per thousand. Where it used to be a lot more than that. I could walk away with £300-500 incentives in my pocket.

Providing customers with a good service and making them happy with the holiday booked.

Cons

Management - is horrific. I have never known a company to be such a shambles. Rostas are done 2 weeks before each month as per our contracts it is supposed to be 4 weeks in advance. Short staff, work 9:30-5 and you do not get a lunch break and you are NOT allowed to leave the shop even if you don't have any food or drink on you.

Treated like sheep, your just another number and easily replaced. Thomas Cook have lost a lot of valuable staff and replaced them with greggs staff. Shocking.

You are spoken down to like you are in school. The managers will you your underperforming but they don't help you to improve, they do not have any examples of what I can do to drive sales.

Advice to Management

Have a clear concise structure.

Treat your employees a lot better, you will find your company will be a lot better.

It works two ways

8. "Unprofessional"

Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Accrington, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Accrington, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook (More than 5 years)

Pros

Educational holidays and free trips, meeting new friends at work. Good salary when you have a good month of sales, cheaper holidays.

Cons

Terrible management constant changes to bonus structure which penalises you when you have hit a target. If you have hit a target then their theory is that the target is too low, let's make it higher.

Advice to Management

Not to treat your staff like slaves, accept that you have some exceptional staff and look after them. Maybe take a leaf from Virgin's work ethic. They look after their staff and feel appreciated.

9. "Reaction & Panic!"

Pros

The Travel Industry is an exciting industry to be part of and therefore, by default there is a sense of love and pride in being part of one of the UK's largest travel businesses.
    It's a cliché but it is the people that make it - there are some wonderfully talented people in the business and I have always felt there has been great camaraderie within teams.

Cons

Expect to work in continual panic mode; there is no clear direction - continual switching of strategy and focus. There always seems to be a weekly reaction tactic/focus which, due to timescales and resource, naturally creates an environment of anxiety and often, inefficiency - which can be both disheartening and demoralising..
    Nothing is given time to become established to actually gauge successes and failures, thus, lessons never seem to be learnt.
    Extra hours and expected for the love of the company.
    High blame culture - understandable as resource is so light and everybody is so paniced, that objectives and deadline are often missed, so a dog-eat-dog, 'save yourself' ethos is pretty standard.
    I love this company - but it can take its toll on your health at times!

Advice to Management

Clearer strategy and an investment in the resource, tools, systems and processes to help us to deliver. We all want to succeed - there is no better feeling for staff morale than being part of and seeing both progress and results.

"Toxic"

Former Employee - Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some great people in this business. Exciting product and good benefits. Had faith in the core business and the product.

Cons

Diabolical , chaotic management. Appalling decisions made by HR. Discrimination & subjective bullying rife in HR team, concerning as you would expect HR to set an example.

Advice to Management

Check out the behaviours in the HR team.