Thomas Cook Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Thomas Cook CEO Peter Fankhauser
Peter Fankhauser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some great people in this business (in 12 reviews)

• New working environment, the open plan layout includes senior management so they are not tucked away in closed offices (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely tiring, long hours and airport runs in the middle of the night (in 16 reviews)

• No clear direction from Senior Management (in 9 reviews)

1. "Fast-Paced, Great People and Interesting Product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been with Thomas Cook for almost two months now and I've had a great experience so far.
    There is a great Learning and Development team, they have a really good induction course called "Check In" which is classroom based, but there is also a huge amount of online content on the TC Academy, some of which you can access even before you join so you can start e-learning at your own pace. They offer a wide range of courses for employee development.
    I'm based at Head Office and the office itself is open plan, modern, meeting rooms are holiday themed and each based on a different destination. There are always events going on, such as a USA Buzz day where employees could learn more about our US destinations and charity raffles for the Thomas Cook Children's Charity.
    The people are all extremely friendly - I had lots of people coming to say hello in my first few weeks either in neighbouring teams or just generally. Lots of people have worked at Thomas Cook for a long time which is really impressive to see and they have a lot of knowledge to share on the company and it's history.

Cons

Thomas Cook is a very large global organisation with lots of different departments within the wider Group so it can take a while to understand those different areas and brands and how they fit together, but there is a good amount of support to help new joiners to do this and have a good understanding of the wider organisation.

Advice to Management

Thomas Cook prides itself on being "Customer at the Heart" and this has really been reflected in my experience so far - maintaining a positive culture in a large organisation is not easy to do, but I definitely have experienced a very open and friendly culture and have had a great experience so far.

"Amazing"

Pros

Great place to work, team are amazing. Perks & benefits are fab too

Cons

Salary is quite low and bonuses aren’t consistent

Advice to Management

Keep up great work but listen to your staff

3. "Kids rep"

Former Employee - Kids Representative in Varna (Bulgaria)
    Former Employee - Kids Representative in Varna (Bulgaria)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Training overseas, everything included, working hours

Cons

You never know where you will be :D

4. "Senior Administrator"

Former Contractor - Senior Resort Administrative in İzmir (Turkey)
    Former Contractor - Senior Resort Administrative in İzmir (Turkey)

I worked at Thomas Cook as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Thomas Cook has great benefits, encourages team working within multi-cultural environment, variety of work and excellent salary opportunities. Never a dull moment

Cons

Can be long hours especially if there are issues at the airport with delays etc and wearing a full formal uniform in very hot countries.

Advice to Management

Revise the uniform for ALL staff to ensure it appropriate to wear in hot countries. Review accommodation for staff - only choose it for them if you are prepared to stay in it yourself

5. "Holiday rep"

Pros

Lifestyle. Great apartment. Fun working environment. Some of the hotels are excellent and treat you very well

Cons

Extremely tiring, long hours and airport runs in the middle of the night.

Advice to Management

Avoid favoritism

Thomas Cook Response

Nov 30, 2017 – Senior Resourcing Manager

Hi, thank you so much for the feedback, we love hearing what our colleagues have to say! We also hope that you enjoyed your summer out in resort!

6. "A great platform for young adults entering the world of work"

Former Employee - Team Manager/Placements Executive in Palma de Mallorca (Spain)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the most challenging yet rewarding experiences
    Learn to work with and experience other cultures
    Develop a strong skill set in dealing with all kinds of situations
    The role of an overseas representative has so many career development opportunities especially in a company such as TC

Cons

There will always be difficult days, you´ll be tired, you´ll miss home, you´ll always want to earn more money. For every difficult day overseas there are 10 amazing, brilliant and unique days.

Advice to Management

I still consider many of the managers based in destination support as role models and I wouldn´t be where I am now in my career without the support and investment from them.

7. "Exceptional Company to Work for"

Current Employee - Senior Learning and Development Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The flexibility of start/finish times at the Peterborough head office on Lynch Wood is great.

Excellent induction and on-going training at all levels. The UK&I L&D team has recently introduced a brand new Retail induction including a 4-day residential training course delivered at head office. Managers also receive a 3 or 5 day managers' induction depending on which area of the business they work in.

A new suite of 18 business and soft-skills workshops is also available to all colleagues and there is a fantastic online training portal called The Academy.

Good company benefits available to all colleagues, including good holiday discounts, childcare vouchers, ability to buy/sell annual leave etc.

Autonomy of decision-making for managers is good - you can take real ownership and responsibility for your team, which speeds up decisions.

Age isn't a barrier to career progression here, with lots of younger colleagues holding senior roles.

Cons

Standard annual leave allocation is quite low at 23 days or 25 for managers. However this can be topped up with up to 5 additional days annual leave as part of the salary sacrifice scheme.

The business is always very busy with lots of projects on the go, so there can be a work hard/play hard culture.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - I think you're getting it just about spot on!

8. "Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good training
    Career progression opportunities

Cons

Profit culture to hold back creativity

Advice to Management

More transparency

Thomas Cook Response

Aug 1, 2017 – Senior Resourcing Manager

Hi, We really love hearing people's feedback so thank you for leaving us some!

9. "Great Experience"

Former Contractor - Holiday Representative in Cales de Majorca (Spain)
    Former Contractor - Holiday Representative in Cales de Majorca (Spain)

I worked at Thomas Cook as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are just getting into the work environment but also want to see the world make friends for life and do it while working for a company that looks after you and helps you grow, then this is the job for you

Cons

In the high season you can work long hours but it is only for 6 weeks in the middle of the seaon.
    The pay isn't great but that is not why you do this job

Advice to Management

You might want to spend a bit more time training the resort managers/supervisors so that there is a bit more consistence across the brand

"Excellent Working Environment"

Current Employee - Commercial Graduate in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Commercial Graduate in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working Environment - I really appreciate the culture at Thomas Cook. It is a FTSE 250 with high ambitions and talented people, yet at the same time nobody takes themselves too seriously. In turn, this engenders a strong ethos of teamwork and there are loads of fun events at the the head office in Peterborough, which everyone gets involved in! For example this week we had the Coast-Coast USA Cycle Challenge whereby Thomas Cook colleagues collectively cycled from one coast of the USA to the other in 48 hours. During the event there was a real buzz around the office, bikes were set up in the Street (open plan working area) where the cyclists could ride and motivational US music was played throughout the office. We raised a great deal of money for charity and the feel-good atmosphere during the event typifies the friendly working environment at Thomas Cook.

Senior Management - The management structure at Thomas Cook is relatively flat. As a a result there is no strict sense of hierarchy and I feel very comfortable approaching the managing director or any other senior leader. In fact, the managing director and all the senior leaders sits in the office with everyone else. They are not enclosed in their own space so they are very accessible and if you have a question they are more than happy to answer it for you.

Skills & Knowledge - I am currently on the commercial graduate scheme so I am rotating around 4 departments; Product, Yield, Commercial Sales and Relations and Marketing. As I complete each rotation, I become increasingly aware that there are a huge number of experts at this company. I have learned so much already and because everyone here is so approachable and happy to help, I feel I will acquire even more skills and knowledge.

Diversity - At first glance people may just assume that Thomas Cook is just about selling holidays. In fact, the company does so much more than this. As a FTSE 250 company we undertake a variety of activities such as planning the UK's largest winter music festival, organising NFL and Premier League match breaks, arranging weddings and raising a lot of money for charity through a variety of fun activities. There is a great deal of diversity in this business, which means there will always be something exciting around the corner.

Cons

My only criticism is that there could be more interaction between employees at the head office and those in retail.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open, honest and transparent - you are doing a great job so far!