Thomas Cook Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Thomas Cook CEO Peter Fankhauser
Peter Fankhauser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work environment is really good, You get to learn a lot (in 17 reviews)

• people, culture, buzz and ability to manage your work life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Can be long hours especially if there are issues at the airport with delays etc and wearing a full formal uniform in very hot countries (in 17 reviews)

• blich; es kommen permanent weitere Aufgaben dazu, ohne Entlastung, work-life-balance eher schlecht (in 8 reviews)

"1 out of 5 stars is still generous- if you value your health, do not work here."

Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Satisfaction from booking dream holidays for customers
    Meeting people from different walks of life
    Learning and Development team are excellent.

Cons

Shocking salary with the promise of an increase eventually. The increase had to be chased weekly and even 3 months down the line they still had 0 motivation to change this until the mention of legal action taking place.

I’d like to also mention how poor HR is at Thomas Cook...I had mentioned to HR that I was being bullied by my manager which had been witnessed by customers and colleagues and the feedback given by HR was just a load of sniggering in my ear. I actually found emails between my former manager and a manager in a neighbouring store discussing members of staff in an unacceptable manner and stating that they were so bored with nothing to do.

Clique atmosphere. Management sucking up to each other and often sitting back to leave new starters to be unsure of what they are doing with no leadership and no training until they go to Peterborough for around 1 week at first to get basic skills within Thomas Cook.

Thomas Cook is turning into a company with a high turnover of staff at a rapid rate but quite honestly I haven’t at any point seen how they’ve ever tried to keep loyal, hardworking staff on board, as I feel they have a mindset that they can just get employees who cost less and are happy to have no lunch breaks (or any breaks) over a 8 hour stint, happy to have the responsibility of a manager at an apprentice wage, and happy to stay longer on the average day with no chance of being paid overtime, or time back or even an ounce of praise.

If you’ve ever thought that head office would support you in this company please think again. HR will not help you, Payroll will not help you, and even some Thomas Cook in house contacts for customers are even hesitant to help despite the fact you are trying to do your job efficiently and to a high standard. Management are quick to criticise you and completely crush your confidence, but they very rarely there to praise you unless it is because you are really close friends with a regional, cluster or store manager. Either that or you work in a flagship (concept) store.

If you care about your health. I would not recommend Thomas Cook to anyone. If there was a reshuffle of management I’d like to think things would be different but I find that very hard to believe.

Advice to Management

I don’t think anything can save the overall morale of staff with the current management in place. I would say listen but that probably wouldn’t happen. I would certainly suggest that ALL of your HR department have training especially with dealing with mental health as they have no clue what on Earth they are actually doing.

A review of management as many members of staff are terrified to speak out due to the close knit environment higher up.

Realistic targets for annual reviews, as many implied that you weren’t cut out for the job...I am aware of many people leaving because they felt constantly put down by head office.

2. "Awful company to work for"

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working at Thomas Cook

Cons

Terrible Pay
    No Benefits
    Had to clean our own shops !
    Would not pay to maintain shops
    Forced to sell customers extras they don't need !
    Management that had no clue what it was like to work on the shop floor

Advice to Management

Spend some time on the shop floor with customers to understand what its like for employees on the front line
    Spend some money on the staff back offices and pay for cleaners
    Offer better pay

3. "Run for the hills! Avoid like the plague!"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working alongside good colleagues (while they last) passion for travel n customer service

Cons

expected to work all day 8:45-5:30 without a break, lunch and not allowed to leave the store to get food and be losing 1.15hrs pay everyday atleast, sometimes staying upto 2hrs overtime aswel n being told "wel we work in travel" like that's ok?! A heavily pregnant women expected to work all day non stop in FE until she had to get rushed to hospital! Manager does what she likes and different rules for everyone else with the excuse that she has worked for the business for 10yrs. Yet customers avoid her like the plague when they see her on the shop floor and waits till she's left to return or come back on her day off. Low staff as people leave ALL the time which means more pressure for what staff are remaining. I seen 5 come and go within 8months. Only concerned about targets and numbers. Manager would ring customers to check why they didn't book even after they had a good reason which is humiliating. Expected to hound n bully customers until they book. Get shouted at by manager across the store infront of ques to check u have mentioned every single thing. Not able to talk to any other member of staff which is higher to discuss issues. Unfair commission compared to FE. Rubbish discounts. All in all a horrible experience but bonded with a great bunch of girls which we all needed to support each other in a horrible daily environment.

Advice to Management

Listen and give opportunity for staff to voice their opinions and worries and take them on board and act. If over 15 members of staff have come and left within 2years in a very small store ask y? Investigate. Pay more or expect less. Make sure staff have breaks. Thomascook are breaking laws on a daily basis! It's been a real eye opener!

4. "Put under consultation for redundancy twice in four years"

Former Employee - Editorial Executive in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Editorial Executive in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big brand can be good for your CV

Cons

Unsustainable job instability. Oppressive management. Clique culture.

Advice to Management

Promote a culture of opportunity and reward. Genuinely innovate internally not just as external marketing.

"In retrospect I'd rather have done a Kurt Cobain"

Former Employee - ITSC in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - ITSC in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The low level people who are committed to making it better and social aspect are good.

Cons

The management structure is not flat as they claim by any stretch of the imagination. More managers conflicting which results in reduced productivity, outsourced support to countries that have zero english speaking ability. Painfully obvious clueless management. Favouritism, one set of rules for one and another for someone else, failure to identify and capitalize on talent...the list goes on...

Advice to Management

Stop trying to save your own miserable hides by hiding under all the red tape and passing the buck. The only success you've achieved thus far is turning vibrant lively employees into a bunch of ambling dry lifeless husks.

6. "Over 10 years of service"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in North East (India)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in North East (India)

Pros

Ability to find the cheapest deals for yourself. Reasonable discount on own holidays, but only if you have worked many years.

Cons

Treated like a slave. No breaks, no organisation, no consistency. There is a lack of communication, and it's different rules for different people. Your bullied into working overtime and not getting paid for it, and bullied into joing Facebook pages which never stop from morning till night.

Advice to Management

Value your loyal employees, instead of having a high turnover of staff that don't really care about the job. Make targets more realistic, and stop expecting to run shops on 2 members of staff. There needs to be more praise, instead of constantly being put down by higher management. Treat us like humans, instead of a payroll number.

"Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think Thomas Cook is a good company to learn and move forward.
    - Always pay at the en of the month
    -Cheap holiday

Cons

-I have to work at least 15 mins without being paid.
    -Never had a Saturday off in one year
    -Ridiculous targets
    -Poor training

Advice to Management

When I first started working for Thomas Cook I was left on my desk with customers with 0 support from managament.
    Good place to learn and move forward.

"Thomas Cook Experience"

Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Information available to you if you want to increase your destination knowledge.

Discounts on holidays.

Cons

I worked here for 4 and a half years and when I left I didn't receive a letter from the company, reference or nothing. Just a card and some chocolate from my colleagues.

Victimisation by bullying manager.

Unnecessary disciplinary action taken on myself and others.

Catty cliques which have formed over the years.

No educational trips.

Management question and question why customers didn't book even if there is a perfectly understandable reason. My manager would call the customers to check if I was telling the truth about why they didn't book.

Advice to Management

There are more constructive ways to manage people, everyone is different so should be managed differently and treated with respect no matter what their age.

Thomas Cook Response

May 25, 2017 – Senior Resourcing Manager

Hello, I am very sorry that this might have happened during your time at Thomas Cook. If you’re happy to speak with a member of HR we would like to investigate this for you. If you could contact... More

"morale at an all time low"

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Holiday discounts, but the amount of discount is no where near as good as it used to be.

Cons

Pay does not reflect the pressure and conditions we are under. IT systems are abysmal, there seems to be one rule for management and one for general staff. You are expected to work very long hours, have constant pressure to the point that it has made me ill. It is impossible to take all your annual leave as nearly every request submitted is turned down.

Advice to Management

Start appreciating your staff, good staff are leaving at very fast rate. Put staff first and they will put the customer first.

"Think twice before you join"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice new office to work in.

Cons

Management too focused on what they do now and numbers and not the people, knowledge and experience they bring.
    Departmental snobbery, major communication issues, no visible governance. Sinking ship syndrome.

Too political and a lot of cliques within the organisation that shouldn't really exist. Sometimes acts like a new company rather than an established one.

People not given any time to prove/shine and bring experience, knowledge and NEW ideas leading to "we do it this way" syndrome.

Advice to Management

Everyone has a voice you need to listen to them. Embrace change and invest and trust your people.