Thomas Cook Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas Cook CEO Peter Fankhauser
Peter Fankhauser

Pros
  • Some great people in this business (in 11 reviews)

• people, culture, buzz and ability to manage your work life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours over and above core hours are not recognised (in 12 reviews)

• No clear direction from Senior Management (in 8 reviews)

"morale at an all time low"

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Holiday discounts, but the amount of discount is no where near as good as it used to be.

Cons

Pay does not reflect the pressure and conditions we are under. IT systems are abysmal, there seems to be one rule for management and one for general staff. You are expected to work very long hours, have constant pressure to the point that it has made me ill. It is impossible to take all your annual leave as nearly every request submitted is turned down.

Advice to Management

Start appreciating your staff, good staff are leaving at very fast rate. Put staff first and they will put the customer first.

2. "Stagiaire thomas cook"

Former Intern - Chef de projet junior in Clichy (France)
    Former Intern - Chef de projet junior in Clichy (France)

I worked at Thomas Cook as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

En tant que chef de projet junior j'ai eu la chance de travailler avec les différents services ce qui m'a permis d'être au centre de l'activité et du coup d'apprendre énormément sur les différents services d'une entreprise

Cons

travaille redondant et au bout de 3 mois de stage je n'avais plus de missions c'était l'ennui total

Advice to Management

donner des missions plus interessante aux stagiaires, payer plus vos stagiaires, pas de proximité avec les chef d'entreprise ce qui à mon sens est important

3. "Think twice before you join"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice new office to work in.

Cons

Management too focused on what they do now and numbers and not the people, knowledge and experience they bring.
    Departmental snobbery, major communication issues, no visible governance. Sinking ship syndrome.

Too political and a lot of cliques within the organisation that shouldn't really exist. Sometimes acts like a new company rather than an established one.

People not given any time to prove/shine and bring experience, knowledge and NEW ideas leading to "we do it this way" syndrome.

Advice to Management

Everyone has a voice you need to listen to them. Embrace change and invest and trust your people.

5. "run run run!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

if you are ambitious enough and don't value your relations with others, you can have opportunities to grow.
    Ciklum is the best that happened to Thomas Cook, but still they are not recognised as such.
    Everyone is free to work from home as they need.

Cons

There is no real development here. It's only surviving the jungle of politics and internal fights and transformations. They don't even get to know what they want for an outsourcing strategy.
    They pay under the average and don't do regular increases.
    They don't follow any rule, just politics and friendships.

Advice to Management

if you care about devs, show it

6. "Cornershop"

Current Employee - Group Director Level in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Group Director Level in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can not think of anything - it is like being in a care home, or a retirement home... Not inspirational

Cons

Too big, full of old-traditionally minded people, who have not seen anything other than TC for 15-20 years, have no idea what other companies do, or what customers want.
    Creative finance to keep numbers reasonable and continued cost cutting, no chance for change - until significant change in management.

Advice to Management

Find new jobs - you are not in the right place.

"Joke of a company"

Pros

Training abroad
    inclusive
    bad experience turned to a life lesson

Cons

- Unorganised chaos
    - Disrespectful staff
    - Unfair pay
    - Confidence ruiners

Advice to Management

Treat people with a bit of respect and attempt to not ruin young workers confidence!

8. "Customer Services at Thomas Cook"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Larbert, Scotland (UK)
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Larbert, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The company experiences very high staff turn over at both team leader and management levels so career advancement is a possibility.

Cons

None of the managers are skilled at managing or developing a company consistently. There are weekly changes of direction and policy, including 180 degree reversals.No training and no product knowledge passed to staff dealing directly with customers.

Advice to Management

Management need to listen to their customers and their front line staff to develop a coherent policy to enhance customer experience.

"not a good company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Thomas Cook (More than 3 years)

Pros

Travelling, meeting interesting people, learning how to survive

Cons

Very low salary, very big responsibility and expectations of the managers. The salaries have been reduced even more last year when CHF became stronger. They forced us to sign new contracts in the middle of the season. Many things needed for work you have to buy from your own money and no one will pay you back. No food provided, according to the contract. It is not good seen if you have your own opinion and express it loudly.The commission system very unclear and dishonest. During the last season many people left the company because they were fed up. The employees are treated unfairly.

Advice to Management

There are people working for you, not machines.

"don't get sucked in."

Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked in various branches and always been lucky with the teams I have worked with. We kept each other going and upbeat

Cons

Low wages, long hours often with unpaid overtime or missed breaks and if you question it you will get the response oh "it's travel" as if this should make it ok and normal. Scary thing is you end up brainwashed into thinking it's ok. It took me a long time and a lot of other people telling me that it was not normal before I took the plunge and finally left the business. The problem is you love your customers but the background politics and ridiculous paper shuffling suck the fun out of what was and still should be fun.
    There is also no pay rise structure. Never go into travel expecting to get paid for your workload. I now get paid more for doing less.

Advice to Management

Re think wages. Think about the workload you are giving staff and pay accordingly. Stop moving the goalposts on incentives. In the past the low base wage could be made up but you have made it near impossible. There is absolutely no need to have a travel agency open on boxing day. Iv worked it numerous times and it's pointless. If you must insist pay the staff who draw the short straw a bonus for doing.
    Go back to loving our customers and not pushing concept and charter risk on people it may not suit. Also reduce the amount of form filling. Definitely go back to having travel and fe staff. You are losing all your dedicated long serving staff because of work conditions and bad management.

11. "Very stressful"

Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Unknown (Bangladesh)
    Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Unknown (Bangladesh)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Holiday concessions,Educationals (although there aren't many these days), relatively nice head office, Some lovely colleagues. Sorry, I really can't think of any more.

Cons

The amount of stress staff have to deal with for the amount we get paid is scandalous, we are treated like a number rather than a human being. The IT systems are Stone Age and forever crashing. targets are unacheiveable and our workload is added to constantly, so much so that many errors are made and management wonder why. The hours we are made to work are very unsociable and I don't feel like I have any quality time with family or friends. Morale is shockingly low across the company. Something needs to be done and soon.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff, then the staff will look after the customers.