Thomas Cook Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

3.2
Thomas Cook CEO Peter Fankhauser
Peter Fankhauser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some great people in this business (in 11 reviews)

• nice people, super locations, beach, sun, views (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours over and above core hours are not recognised (in 14 reviews)

• No clear direction from Senior Management (in 9 reviews)

1. "Marketing Manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good training
    Career progression opportunities

Cons

Profit culture to hold back creativity

Advice to Management

More transparency

Aug 1, 2017 – Senior Resourcing Manager

Hi, We really love hearing people's feedback so thank you for leaving us some!

2. "Limited room for progression."

Former Employee - Learning & Development Consultant in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great new head office in Peterborough. CEO is focussed on the customer.

Cons

Long standing employees don't like change or new ideas which is difficult to take in a creative, digital environment.

Advice to Management

Think longer term for investments in people and technology. Push existing colleagues to develop and learn more to keep the company evolving as technology and trends do.

3. "Put under consultation for redundancy twice in four years"

Former Employee - Editorial Executive in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Editorial Executive in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big brand can be good for your CV

Cons

Unsustainable job instability. Oppressive management. Clique culture.

Advice to Management

Promote a culture of opportunity and reward. Genuinely innovate internally not just as external marketing.

4. "In retrospect I'd rather have done a Kurt Cobain"

Former Employee - ITSC in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - ITSC in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The low level people who are committed to making it better and social aspect are good.

Cons

The management structure is not flat as they claim by any stretch of the imagination. More managers conflicting which results in reduced productivity, outsourced support to countries that have zero english speaking ability. Painfully obvious clueless management. Favouritism, one set of rules for one and another for someone else, failure to identify and capitalize on talent...the list goes on...

Advice to Management

Stop trying to save your own miserable hides by hiding under all the red tape and passing the buck. The only success you've achieved thus far is turning vibrant lively employees into a bunch of ambling dry lifeless husks.

"Photography/Publishing"

Former Employee - Photographer in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Photographer in Peterborough, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great industry & great to travel as part of job. Good discounts on personal travel. Fantastic team of people dedicated to a historic brand, although this loyalty is somewhat taken for granted by senior management.

Cons

Below average salaries at Head Office, progression is impossible in some depts where promotion is a dead-mans-shoes scenario & then based on length of service more than merit.

Management/Senior Management roles are filled externally 95% or the time, which is very common in the incestuous travel industry - this create a very obvious glass ceiling for everyone else.

Advice to Management

Your strength lies in your dedicated staff. Promote from within, and create clear progression ladders,

"Retail Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Assistant in Sudbury, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, great job,

Cons

nothing really, I like working in Thomas Cook

Advice to Management

nothing

May 26, 2017 – Resourcing Apprentice

Hello, thank you for your feedback we really appreciate it! We are so glad you are enjoying your role :)

"Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Leeds, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think Thomas Cook is a good company to learn and move forward.
    - Always pay at the en of the month
    -Cheap holiday

Cons

-I have to work at least 15 mins without being paid.
    -Never had a Saturday off in one year
    -Ridiculous targets
    -Poor training

Advice to Management

When I first started working for Thomas Cook I was left on my desk with customers with 0 support from managament.
    Good place to learn and move forward.

"Excellent Working Environment"

Current Employee - Commercial Graduate in Peterborough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Commercial Graduate in Peterborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working Environment - I really appreciate the culture at Thomas Cook. It is a FTSE 250 with high ambitions and talented people, yet at the same time nobody takes themselves too seriously. In turn, this engenders a strong ethos of teamwork and there are loads of fun events at the the head office in Peterborough, which everyone gets involved in! For example this week we had the Coast-Coast USA Cycle Challenge whereby Thomas Cook colleagues collectively cycled from one coast of the USA to the other in 48 hours. During the event there was a real buzz around the office, bikes were set up in the Street (open plan working area) where the cyclists could ride and motivational US music was played throughout the office. We raised a great deal of money for charity and the feel-good atmosphere during the event typifies the friendly working environment at Thomas Cook.

Senior Management - The management structure at Thomas Cook is relatively flat. As a a result there is no strict sense of hierarchy and I feel very comfortable approaching the managing director or any other senior leader. In fact, the managing director and all the senior leaders sits in the office with everyone else. They are not enclosed in their own space so they are very accessible and if you have a question they are more than happy to answer it for you.

Skills & Knowledge - I am currently on the commercial graduate scheme so I am rotating around 4 departments; Product, Yield, Commercial Sales and Relations and Marketing. As I complete each rotation, I become increasingly aware that there are a huge number of experts at this company. I have learned so much already and because everyone here is so approachable and happy to help, I feel I will acquire even more skills and knowledge.

Diversity - At first glance people may just assume that Thomas Cook is just about selling holidays. In fact, the company does so much more than this. As a FTSE 250 company we undertake a variety of activities such as planning the UK's largest winter music festival, organising NFL and Premier League match breaks, arranging weddings and raising a lot of money for charity through a variety of fun activities. There is a great deal of diversity in this business, which means there will always be something exciting around the corner.

Cons

My only criticism is that there could be more interaction between employees at the head office and those in retail.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open, honest and transparent - you are doing a great job so far!

"Thomas Cook Experience"

Former Employee - Travel Sales Consultant in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I worked at Thomas Cook full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Information available to you if you want to increase your destination knowledge.

Discounts on holidays.

Cons

I worked here for 4 and a half years and when I left I didn't receive a letter from the company, reference or nothing. Just a card and some chocolate from my colleagues.

Victimisation by bullying manager.

Unnecessary disciplinary action taken on myself and others.

Catty cliques which have formed over the years.

No educational trips.

Management question and question why customers didn't book even if there is a perfectly understandable reason. My manager would call the customers to check if I was telling the truth about why they didn't book.

Advice to Management

There are more constructive ways to manage people, everyone is different so should be managed differently and treated with respect no matter what their age.

May 25, 2017 – Senior Resourcing Manager

Hello, I am very sorry that this might have happened during your time at Thomas Cook. If you’re happy to speak with a member of HR we would like to investigate this for you. If you could contact... More

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Falkirk, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant in Falkirk, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Thomas Cook full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary increases yearly based on performance
    A multitude of employee benefits and perks
    Plenty of chances for progression
    Open planned office space,

Cons

Not enough clarity throughout the business, one managers rule can be different to others
    Not a lot of opportunities for inhouse fam trips,

Advice to Management

Focus more on handling complaints pre departure, a lot of focus goes in to the customer relations team, and on several occasions when going to managers for a resolution, I have been told to tell the customer to wait until there back to complain, instead of handling and resolving the complaint in the first instance