Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Updated April 19, 2017

Philadelphia, PA

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital President & CEO Stephen K. Klasko, M.D., M.B.A.
Stephen K. Klasko, M.D., M.B.A.

Pros
  • They offer great benefits and are located in a great location within the city (in 9 reviews)

• Competitive hourly wage compared to other Center City hospitals (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement, Jefferson is paid 40 percent less than the other area hospitals, and pension is nothing even after 30 years (in 5 reviews)

• more flexibility for work life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. "Student Nurse Extern in nursing school."

Current Intern - Nurse Extern in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Intern - Nurse Extern in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Very experienced and intelligent staff, supportive and teach you a lot of important things.

Cons

Hard to balance with school.

2. "Too Corporate for their own good!"

Former Employee - Staff Technical Support Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Staff Technical Support Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Doctors, nurses and support staff are outstanding!!

Cons

Worked at Jefferson for 25 years and saw quite a few different Senior administrations come and go. Tom Lewis was the best President this hospital ever had. This new establishment is running this hospital like a corporation. I have never seen the moral level so low as I did when I resigned my position. They are too busy buying up all the real estate around the campus and not supporting the employees needs. I truly thought that I would retire from here but I could not stay any longer to see where this hospital is heading to. This used to be a true Jefferson family but now it seems to be about greed. Nurses are over worked and truly understaffed. I am not a disgruntled employee as I stated that i resigned from my position. All other Hospitals in the area pay much better than Jefferson and this is always the way its been the case.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be the next Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania by purchasing all the buildings you can and put more of your resources into your employees. Stop outsourcing to outside companies that have no clue how to run a hospital correctly!!. Stop choosing quantity over quality!!........

"Rudeness all around"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Always over-the-top busy. Most of the time there is too much to do but it is interesting work and a learning experience.

Cons

Management is a rude, exclusive club.
    NOT a positive work environment.
    NOT respectful of employees AT ALL.
    NO appreciation for extra efforts made trying to keep up with their ever changing whims.
    Too much effort is NEVER enough.
    The place is crawling with entitled, know-it-all interns (who they pay nothing).

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves.
    Walk a mile in someone else's shoes - and NOT your senior management colleague's latest Berlutis.
    Stop being so disrespectful and rude to people. You don't walk on water.

"Anonymous Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Company to work for.

Cons

Employees aren't treated well as a whole. HR is very slow in getting back to you.

6. "Good Work Environment"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst II in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst II in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

The people working here are very friendly and helpful.

Cons

There are no cons worth noting

7. "Nurse Extern"

Former Intern - Nurse Extern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Nurse Extern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital as an intern (More than 8 years)

Pros

Paid internship, great exposure to various nursing skills, formed good professional relationships with supervising nurses and techs, competent staff, good teamwork, transportation benefits, provided networking opportunities with nurses and nurse managers

As a nurse extern, they helped develop my skills and confidence in clinical practice. Nurses were competent and I highly recommend the program to nursing students. Jefferson is transitioning to Epic and I think that this system is more superior than the one we had.

Cons

I do not really have any cons for this company. Perhaps, increasing the hourly rates for externs would be beneficial.

Advice to Management

I have no cons for this company. Perhaps, increasing the rates for externs would be beneficial.

8. "Surgical Technician"

Former Employee - Surgical Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Surgical Technician in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

It is one of the greatest Health care systems in the United States, I learned so much was treaned and educated for the entie length of my career. I retireffersons Surgical ed from Main Line Health Systems and very proud to say that I sero ved there for fifteen years.

Cons

I have no down sides concerning Jefferson HospitAL

Advice to Management

Know that you represent the greatest Health Care facility in the city, I served on the best Trauma Team that a care facility can provide.

9. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant I in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant I in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Great institution to work for! The One Jefferson mission is really driven home. Everyone was always working towards the same goal. Effective communications on all levels.

Cons

They need to pay their nurses better

10. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Volunteer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Volunteer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital full-time

Pros

I is not far from where I live in North Philadelphia, PA.

Cons

I am sure that I would be asked to work on the weekends. That would not be a problem as long as it is every other weekend.

Advice to Management

Yes, I love working for a company where advancement and growth are opportunities that are available.

11. "Community, Family hospital"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Community Hospital with a family atmosphere. Warm, supportive, caring people

Cons

Too much control ceded to Center City managers, rather than on-site administration