Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

Thomas Jefferson University Hospital Reviews

Updated July 26, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital President & CEO Stephen K. Klasko, M.D., M.B.A.
Stephen K. Klasko, M.D., M.B.A.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They offer great benefits and are located in a great location within the city (in 9 reviews)

• Competitive hourly wage compared to other Center City hospitals (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Also when you work on hospital units there is no room for growth (in 5 reviews)

• more flexibility for work life balance (in 3 reviews)

1. "RN"

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital full-time

Pros

Very innovative and welcoming community. Working at Jefferson makes you feel like you are a part of something.

Cons

Sometimes you can feel like just a number. No matter how much you attempt to contribute you feel unnoticed and unappreciated.

Advice to Management

Show individual attention to each and every one of your employees and show us that we matter and you care.

2. "Good place to start"

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital full-time

Pros

Hire lots of new grads, decent benefits, easy to move between units, tons of overtime available, 2% annual increase for cost of living adjustment, night differential for inpatient. Managers try to work with your schedule.

Cons

lots of change in management, definitely tries to keep staff bare bones, no differential for weekends, every third weekend required.

"Office aid"

Current Employee - Office Aid in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Office Aid in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very flexible and nice team to work for. Everybody is humbled and care about the students there. My coworkers were the best

Cons

None. Jefferson was awesome. I learned a lot while being here. My advise go to Jefferson and learn from the best people in the healthcare field

4. "life saver"

Current Employee - Nurse Extern
    Current Employee - Nurse Extern

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital part-time

Pros

the best university hospital to gain experience

Cons

I do not have bad things in Jefferson

5. "RN"

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Parking tickets can be payed for pretax.
    Easily accessible by bus or train.

Cons

Unsafe nursing assignments. No union. Although Magnet, nurses are not considered in decision making that directly impacts their job. Holidays will be assigned or changed without notification that they are even considering making a change. A permanent day shift and permanent night shift employees will have an entire six week schedule changed to the opposite shift on the same schedule with only two weeks notice. Prefer to hire staff with little to no experience because pay scale is according to experience.

6. "Chaplain"

Current Employee - Chaplain Resident in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Chaplain Resident in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great hospital where you experience a variety of Hospital settings. i. e. Traumas, NICU's, MICU's, CVICU's, SSICU's, oncology,and more from an educational standpoint

Cons

Limited staffing in department do each person's abilities are taxed

Advice to Management

Spend more on new hires

7. "Cancer Network Program Manager"

Current Employee - Cancer Network Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Cancer Network Program Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital full-time

Pros

Supportive leadership, opportunity for career growth

Cons

Cost of parking, long commite

8. "SKCC Clinical Research Coordinator/Research Assistant"

I worked at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great Co-Workers
    -Great Location near great restaurants
    -Right Next to Train

Cons

Clinical Research Management Office is not that great in understanding the needs of there employees or shows no real empathy for those above them. After working there for about a year I realized that this center was scamming there employees.
    -Firstly, myself and other employees were working about 60 hours per week and many coworkers felt burnt out at the end leaving them to be forced to leave.
    -There are groups called MDGs which I do not understand how that works. I have worked in research prior and this concept does not work. Firstly, you are unable to work with a PI and PIs are completely out of luck. I feel bad because some of the doctors working there are so great they are completely out of the loop as to why they cannot publish within adequate time and complain often and I do not blame them. There are people working in management and the directors and associate directors who have no clue how to manage a team and they lie to the physicians. Instead of pushing out adequate research they are all about the money. Which is sad and unwarranted .
    -I have been to many meetings. Which within 1 week you have about 15 hours of meeting. I have worked at other institutions and there are more meetings then anything else
    -The MDG I was working for had extreme lack of resources. Many employees were doing 2 peoples jobs under one title. Two employees I knew that were working on my team were working for 2 MDGs at the same time. Other employee was working on data and was expected to meet with patients at the same time. Yet they were still getting money!
    -NEVER COMPLAIN! It will get out forced out. I remember 4 employees complained about work flow and how this goes against working laws and they were immediately forced out. These hard working managers and high level over qualified experienced researchers were then forced out. One employee complained about a situation with there team leader and how they did not like how a physician was running the team. They were forced out. Made accusations and threatened to sue the employee if they spoke. Instead the team leaders go around saying the employee quit which is not completely true. They just throw them under the bus.
    -What made me angry was several mangers did not have a adequate degree in a science field and was hired straight from Data entry. However 3 of my colleges were working in research for several years with Masters and PhDs and nurses who have worked for the company yet did not get to be a manager. Why? Because they never became friends with the Director.
    -Lastly, because the SKCC is getting in trouble for this they instead hire "in person" friends who know someone else so they do not get in trouble or they hire from "aerotek" a private company. Problem with this is that they can let anyone go at any given point no questions asked.

Advice to Management

-Take a look at what is happening in the company. If no one is staying, there is something really serious going on.
    -I think it is so terrible people are leaving as this is CANCER research and people are willing to work hard. However if you continue to treat people poorly it looks badly on the institution

9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Epic Analyst in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Epic Analyst in Phila, PA

Pros

People and atmosphere are great

Cons

Tough to move advance professionally/financially - resulting in many people leaving for high salaries only to come back later on

10. "NP"

I have been working at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital full-time

Pros

nice group of immediate co-workers, good benefits and pay

Cons

high stress, always short staffed, upper management (non clinical individuals) makes most decisions based on business models and not based on patient benefit

Advice to Management

busy schedules and lack of time creates burnout and unsafe care