Thomas Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Tony Uphoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work/life balance here is also the best of any place I've worked (in 13 reviews)

• Unlike most agencies, it's pretty 9-to-5 and you rarely have to work beyond those hours (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible environment to work in with no room to move up or have any say in your work (in 7 reviews)

• The only down side is the room to grow is little (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work with some great people"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Thomas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The location across from Penn Station is great
    - This company had more of a family feel than any place I've ever worked. I never made so many lasting friendships at any other work place before or since working at Thomas.
    - Both the teams I worked on applications engineers, and project managers, were led by great people who always made me feel valued and welcome.
    - The work/life balance here is also the best of any place I've worked. You rarely need to put in hours beyond the 9-5, and often ended with workplace drinks.

Cons

- The work can get a little stale after a while if you work on some of the more repetitive projects.

Advice to Management

-Keep treating your people great, and coming up with new products to make the business more viable and your people energized to do great work.

2. "Helping US Manufacturing Companies Grow"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Thomas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, Great products, Great customers

Cons

The sales reps are 1099 contractors

Advice to Management

Consider changing to an all employee model to be able to recruit and retain millennial and top talent Sales professionals

3. "Don't work at Thomasnet RPM, and beware of recent reviews."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Thomas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easily accessible location. nothing else comes to mind.

Cons

Management'll fire you without thinking twice. In my short time there, they fired 4 people in less than 3 months, one guys was there only for 1 week, and was fired for being a "bad cultural fit". If you are looking for a job, go ahead and take it. If you already have a job, don't jump ship, wherever you are is better than this snake- filled environment. And don't be fooled by recent reviews, RPM is an advertisement agency and they know the power of reviews: take a look at how reviews changed over time and who wrote the reviews (current employees). You've been warned.

Advice to Management

Improve your hiring process, so you can see people long enough to remember their name.

4. "Content Analyst"

I have been working at Thomas full-time

Pros

Health benefits, paid time off and easy commute from just about anywhere.

Cons

No growth opportunities, a lot of micromanaging.

5. "Project Manager"

I worked at Thomas full-time

Pros

No late nights, decent PTO, office location,

Cons

No career development, lack of management and direction, minimal raises, office is drab and antiquated, too many managers within the time working there

Advice to Management

There is no I in Team.

6. "Good and bad"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Thomas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of freedom. Product works well for most. The money is very good if you are having a good year.

Cons

Usage of the site is going down. Client retention is decreasing. It is getting harder to sell new business.

Advice to Management

First and foremost, find a way to increase traffic. Better comp and bonus structure needed.

7. "Good company going through some changes"

Pros

The work life balance is great and if you are on the right team and you're vocal about what new skills you want to learn, you'll get to do a lot of great work. The new CEO is making an effort to build up the company culture and create a stronger community.

Cons

The company doesn't have a 401k match and the health insurance is horrible. That would be the one thing I'd change.

Advice to Management

Listen to the younger folks and see what they really want and need.

"Changing for the Worse"

I worked at Thomas full-time

Pros

Salaries about average or higher, relatively generous benefits, good work life balance (pretty strict 9-5, not a lot of late nights required).

Cons

New C-level management making a lot of changes. Precise end goals are unclear (and, where they are clear, are incredibly shortsighted), but the changes are breeding an atmosphere of fear and discontentment. There's some very high quality SVP/VP-level managers, but their hands are largely tied by C-level mandates. Lots of older mid-level employees refusing to retire, blocking advancement opportunities for the younger (and honestly more talented) set. Lots of talent here that's getting wasted.

Advice to Management

Show your employees that they're valued in *meaningful* ways (not sporadic for-show ways), and do more to engage and advance young talent.

9. "Not a job, this was a career"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Union, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Union, KY

I worked at Thomas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, an opportunity to make a much better income and still have control of your time and environment.
    I was given the opportunity to create a a multi million business with the support ofThomasnet. A great team at the home office lead by professionals. I just retired after 22 years.

Cons

None really I loved my job.

Advice to Management

Always listen to the sales associates and management team.

10. "Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people with infectious energy and talent. Innovative leadership allows employees to add their ideas in a good way to projects big and small. Lots of digital designers and engineers on staff make for a very creatively-charged environment. Well respected industry leader - I always get positive statements when people hear I'm part of this company. Interesting work with a diverse group of clients in industry, manufacturing, purchasing and engineering gives me a chance to always learn new things. Clients are usually long term so relationships are strong. Located right near Penn Station which makes for an easy commute.

Cons

Inside digs could use an update but I hear that is in the works.