Thomas Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 7, 2018

3.8
Tony Uphoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The work/life balance here is also the best of any place I've worked" (in 14 reviews)

• "Great people with infectious energy and talent" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "And no 401k matching and not very good insurance" (in 7 reviews)

• "High-deductible health insurance is a killer" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Thomas full-time

Pros

Fantastic people to work with. Everyone is extremely nice and helpful. Flat organization, so you're able to work with all levels of people. Fun activities around the office. Great CEO who is interactive and tons of communication around how well departments are doing and contributing.

Cons

None that I can think of. Keep up the great work everyone!

"Management Needs Help"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some room for growth if you got about it the right way. Easy 9-5. Good PTO. You can learn something new everyday with the right attitude.

Cons

Higher ups have every opportunity to change company negatives, but turn a blind eye to put money in their own pockets. Training is weak. When you ask questions to management they can't explain answers. Management picks favorites dependent upon your position, Favorites are given better treatment while others are left to figure things out on their own. Company is overly cheap when they don't have to be. Not everyone gets a laptop even though they need one. Younger management has no prior management training. They are too focused on their own workloads or too lazy to teach. Managers pass on their responsibilities to strategists under them even when they have their own large accounts. Requests for changing get ignored. You'll hear "coming soon" a lot. Lack of common courtesy between coworkers. Gossip spreads like wildfire and if you're not a favorite you're ignored and not invited to do things. Separates employees in a big way. If they like you they'll groom you to fit in. Friends are favorited over skilled employees so the wrong people climb in power. Make sure to cover yourself because you can get thrown under the bus. Culture is bad and though acknowledged barely changes, Old school workforce mentality. Not a startup atmosphere if that's what you're looking for. Employees are afraid to talk, office is quiet. Floor space is limited. High turnover rate of smart coworkers.

Advice to Management

Don't make your favorites so obvious. Acknowledge all of your employees the same way. Give everyone laptops. Give managers with no experience real management training. In meetings you can tell they are unexperienced by the way they act. It's sad that the company has so much potential, but things don't change.

"A Good, Straightforward Job"

Current Employee - Copy Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Copy Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started recently in the marketing department, and I'm very glad I made the move from my old job. Everyone I've met here is very nice and knowledgeable, and no one's trying to get on anyone's case or sabotage each other's work. It's not the snazziest marketing agency, but the work is pretty straightforward, and it's challenging in a stimulating way.

The beauty of Thomas is that you can always count on manufacturing clients to be very steady. I go into work every day knowing exactly what I'm gonna get, get it, and then leave by 5. That, mixed with the good culture in marketing, make my day-to-day life here very positive.

Cons

Some of the HR policies are a little outmoded. All work can technically be done remotely, but the leadership is very against remote work, even if working without the distractions of the office makes me more productive in the long run. I used to have one work from home day per week at my old job, and I used to always look forward to it because I could turn around a much higher volume of articles at a time

Advice to Management

Keep improving on your workplace culture - I've heard horror stories about the restructuring, but I feel lucky that I'm here after that. Overcome your fear of remote work--it's not as scary as you think! Also, we desperately need more cream cheese on bagel day :)

"A mix"

I have been working at Thomas full-time

Pros

There are some really good managers at Thomas. They care about your progress and career path. In some positions you get independence. You can often leave at 5. Not a chaotic environment in many cases. You get privacy at your desk in most cases.

Cons

Some departments are very different than other departments. Some managers do not trust workers and micromanage extremely. Everything varies. The pay is really low for most people. It is way lower than the average for the titles and region. This is the major problem for most people aside from the micromanagement in some departments. And no 401k matching and not very good insurance. The offices are kind of bleak. No bonuses. Raises can be as low as 1.5% in some departments.

Advice to Management

Give bonuses and incentives. Offer more flexible options for areas where that is manageable and would give people the chance to do better work and feel more valued. Match 401k. Stop micromanaging certain departments and trust people more. Pay salaries so that people can afford to live in this expensive region of the country. People will not stay and you will not attract the right workers with the salaries in place at this moment.

"An Unfortunate Decline"

I worked at Thomas full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Convenient location right across the street from Penn Station. A good place to get experience early in your career.

Cons

Once you've gotten comfortable in your role and begin a path of growth, the rug gets pulled out from under you. There's so much turnover that by the time you get to know your bosses and colleagues, they're gone.

Literally every year around October, there's a mass layoff. It has nothing to do with your value as an employee - they get rid of non-senior-level employees after a few years to bring in cheaper college grads. Once you make it past about 3 years, you're living on borrowed time.

There's a ton of favoritism, too. If you fit in well the frat crowd, you're in luck. If not, at least you gained some experience before they let you go.

The worst I saw was last year. The week after a layoff, the company proudly introduced a top-of-the-line coffee machine so that at least current employees could have some free coffee in the morning. They literally traded loyal employees for coffee... That tells you everything you need to know.

Also, salary is below industry average, health benefits suck, and new leadership is fervently against working from home.

Advice to Management

Value your people. Get to know them. Recognize skills and experience.

"Terrible terrible culture"

I worked at Thomas full-time

Pros

Good location for commuting. Some good people.

Cons

Terrible culture of cliques, gossip, and incompetent management. Depressing offices.

"Decent Workplace, Great Manager, Sparse Workload, and Definitely Not "Engineering""

Current Intern - Sales Engineering Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Sales Engineering Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomas as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- My manager was fantastic and genuinely interested in helping me and developing my career. They were very friendly and completely understood I would rather be at a company that performs design engineering.

- Manager was very flexible about me taking off, even in as little as 1 day notice. He also had no problems with me occasionally leaving early to catch a train.

- I didn't feel like I was being stalked in the progress of my work. If someone gave me a time table for a task, they didn't precede to hawk over me to done and instead trusted me to complete it.

- Those who did actually make use of me were very thankful of my help and trusted me to get things done efficiently and with high quality, I wasn't treated like an ignorant intern.

- I was not made to do any silly stereotypical low effort, unrelated intern tasks. Everything I did used some part of my skill set.

- The team I worked with seemed to socialize and be very friendly with each other, unlike other departments

- I was never pestered about going out to lunch for too long or too early

- As the office can be noisy sometimes with all the people on calls, I sometimes put on headphones and listened to music. I thought someone would hassle me for it, but no one cared. I don't think there is anyone in the company that is going to go out of their way to criticize what you are doing/how you work.

Cons

- It's a bit of stretch to say my job was an "engineering" internship. I only exercised my knowledge in that area a handful of times, and only for projects from other departments that were not in line with my normal work.

- Hope you like Microsoft Excel. Especially 2010 on Windows 7, because for some reason they have not upgraded beyond that for their standard employee laptops.

- My pay barely covered having to live and eat in the NYC area

- None of the teams seem to know how to actually fully utilize an intern. A lot of time is spent just sitting and waiting for work to come your way.

- I didn't even have my own desk for a week, and then when I did I was isolated from the team I work with in an empty row.

- 8th floor office is kinda bland, can put you to sleep a little bit

- The elevators in the building are programmed horribly. They never go to the right place and often stop at every floor on the way down despite being full. This is a legitimate complaint as the company is split between the 8th and 17th floors, which by the way, aren't even accessed by the same set of elevators...

- The "chocolate milk" button on the coffee machine dispenses hot chocolate, which is identical to an already a separate option. Beware...

- The bathroom has seen some better days in terms of maintenance

Advice to Management

Be ready to have interns. If you don't have work for them, fully expect them to sit around and do nothing. Even giving a vague long term project is enough to keep the job interesting.

8. "Customer Success Manager"

I have been working at Thomas full-time

Pros

I recently returned to Thomas where I had previously been employed for roughly three years. In my first stint, the company offered me every chance to succeed and grow my career, and I was exposed to many different marketing and sales tactics and strategies. The company rewards anyone who lives to be helpful, whether that be to clients or internal teams. Mid and senior management are very accessible and always open to ways to improve systems and processes and are quick to reward strong performance. This is a great place to grow since there are always new learning opportunities and no red tape to stifle new ideas.

Beyond that, Thomas has been a fun place to work with team members who are always exploring new ways to grow the culture and make every feel as though they're part of something bigger. I'm excited to be back with the team!

Cons

There can sometimes be a lack of communication between internal teams and the outside sales force. However, this certainly isn't something that anyone in sales or marketing doesn't usually deal with.

Advice to Management

Continue to pursue the strategy of promoting from within - continue to explore new tools and product offerings for clients - continue to emphasize the culture of being helpful and getting things done!

"Revolving Door"

Former Employee - Content Analyst
    Former Employee - Content Analyst

I worked at Thomas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits but nothing else

Cons

Management doesn’t care, job is given to anyone with a degree.

10. "Exciting, Engaging, and Dynamic Place to Work"

Current Intern - Video Production Intern in New York, NY
    Current Intern - Video Production Intern in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomas as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Every day is different and everyone here is different. You get to work in an exciting environment with exciting people from all different backgrounds doing all different jobs. Great location as well.

Cons

Sometimes I work a little too hard and tire myself out, but the days go by very fast with all of the work!