Thomasnet Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Eileen G. Markowitz

Pros
  • The work/life balance here is also the best of any place I've worked (in 5 reviews)

• Great location: Penn station is close to everything (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Commuting in New York City can be tough (in 5 reviews)

• Once established and have built up book of business the job can be lucrative (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work with some great people"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Thomasnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The location across from Penn Station is great
    - This company had more of a family feel than any place I've ever worked. I never made so many lasting friendships at any other work place before or since working at Thomas.
    - Both the teams I worked on applications engineers, and project managers, were led by great people who always made me feel valued and welcome.
    - The work/life balance here is also the best of any place I've worked. You rarely need to put in hours beyond the 9-5, and often ended with workplace drinks.

Cons

- The work can get a little stale after a while if you work on some of the more repetitive projects.

Advice to Management

-Keep treating your people great, and coming up with new products to make the business more viable and your people energized to do great work.

2. "RPM has really gone down hill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomasnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of PTO and it's right in midtown, so it's easy to get to. Most of the people here are great to work with.

Cons

Unless you're one of the chosen favorites, you're going to have a bad time. Lately, people who have been with the company for years are suddenly being fired, and other great employees are jumping ship before it happens to them.

The managers don't know how to manage; they are only promoted because they have been here so long.

Advice to Management

Shape up. If you're on a firing spree, start with your management team. Maybe people aren't doing well because chastising has replaced training.

3. "A Great Starting Point"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomasnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Coworkers are always open to teaching me new things.
    - They are good at on-boarding new employees and making sure they feel both welcomed & prepared.
    - There is a lot of room for growth.

Cons

- There aren't many ways for the team to interact with, outside of monthly events and meetings. The cubicles get in the way of daily interactions. During our breaks we used to have more fun...now it feels like the matrix at times.

Advice to Management

Find more ways to get the culture committee to host events.

5. "Project Manager, Director"

I have been working at Thomasnet full-time

Pros

Good place to work, Friendly atmosphere

Cons

Company is refocus goal constantly. Too many changes.

"Great Company Great Pay"

Current Employee - Senior National Sales Representative in Horsham, PA
    Current Employee - Senior National Sales Representative in Horsham, PA

Pros

I have been at Thomas for 8 lucrative years. They provide a very good salary, commision structure and plenty of paid time off. Performers are always recognized with raises and promotions. Management and HR have always been loyal and flexible.

Cons

People who get fired or quit then complaining and blaming on the net!! In turn, not taking responsibility that it might be their own failures that got them where they are.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job. I am not big on the word management. Thomas has leadership hence how they survived over a 100 years in business.

"Has Potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Thomasnet full-time

Pros

Great starting point for me. Worked with an incredible manager. I was able to transition from one position to another as a promotion. Great location as well. Benefits are comparable to other companies. HR was a great resource.

Cons

The culture. It was very, very, very, VERY clique-ish. "Culture fit" was a term they used a lot when hiring people, which meant to say they want to check if you fit in before hiring you. Favoritism abound. Not sure how it is now, but I hope they've addressed this.

Advice to Management

No more favoritism and foster an environment of inclusion, not cliques. There's so much potential to grow, but you're hiring people who do not behave professionally and thinks they're still in high school. Check for character and maturity instead of a "fun and dynamic personality" (which is not a bad thing, but don't let that and the resume be the sole determining factor).

"It's like high school"

Pros

Culture was good in 2015, but has fallen since then. Management appeared to be competent, helpful, and encouraging. PTO is generous, and HR is great.

Cons

Culture committee fails at their job, there's favoritism, cliques, shallowness, and superficial individuals everywhere you look.

Advice to Management

Replace weekly gossip meetings with actual, productive meetings to make this a better organization.

"Big Joke... Stay Away"

I worked at Thomasnet (More than a year)

Pros

The building is located in a great location. If you can play their "favorite", your ride will be easy. If you absolutely NEED a job, you can fine one.

Cons

As you can see in the recent reviews (not just mine), management is a total mess. They have no idea what is going on and only care about money.
    They set unrealistic goals during unrealistic times (when economy is not doing well) and wonder why the company is failing.

The company is understaffed and the employees are loaded with work. People are abused with work and management shows no sign of gratitude. They see that you can handle the work and throw more work at you until drown. Moving up the ladder is not an option either.

Advice to Management

In a professional environment, playing favorites are unacceptable.
    Also, try and listen to your employees more.
    Understand that satisfying their needs is actually beneficial to the company.

"Results Powered Meh"

Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

Pros

Your peers are a passionate group of people who really want the best for their clients
    Generous paid time off and good work life balance
    Good structure to learn

Cons

Favorites go for far with cliquey, unknowledgable (but eternally self-affirming) management
    Culture is cold
    Little room to grow, conservative raises

Advice to Management

Stop being insular and advocate for your employees instead of each other. Less gossiping and bullying, more uplifting and training.

"Good company, very boring culture"

Former Employee - Marketing Strategist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Strategist in New York, NY

I worked at Thomasnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy job, no micromanagement, freedom to work on your own.

Cons

Old corporate culture even with young people in the office

Advice to Management

get rid of cubicles