Thompson Creek Window Co. Reviews

Updated Aug 4, 2020

4.4
Thompson Creek Window Co. President Rick Wuest (no image)
Rick Wuest
Pros
  • "willingness to help; content of the training; depth of the training; the fact that Tim Shanty is the best who ever did it(in 10 reviews)

• "Great Pay, Leadership Training, Great Benefits, Fun Work Environment, Room for Growth(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "I can't come up with many cons it's a lot of driving but I like driving so I don't consider that a con(in 11 reviews)

• "A work life balance for outside sales needs to be found, such as rotationing weekends etc(in 5 reviews)

1. "Sets you up for success/ great training"

Current Employee - Factory Representative in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Tim Shanty (national head of training) is an amazing coach. He keeps you fully engaged and is extremely helpful. The entire company gives you every opportunity to succeed and exhausts all resources to help you do well.

Cons

driving, competition, nothing else, great company

Continue reading
  2. "TCW will prepare you for success!"

Current Employee - Factory Representative in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Thompson Creek does such a great job preparing you for your role. It starts with the outstanding trainer that is Tim Shanty. Tim adapts his training to your needs. Meaning, you are going to get out what you put into it with TCW. Would definitely recommend giving TCW a look for employment opportunities.

Cons

Driving for appointments, but that is nothing compared to what you gain from TCW.

3. "In depth and engaging training"

Current Employee - Factory Representative in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Top of the line training with experienced and down to earth professionals. Tim Shanty is top notch and is always encouraging and positive while at the same time offering constructive feedback to help you grow. Always willing to help anyone within the sales force close those deals! Super company culture as well that breeds great teamwork.

Cons

None so far. They make sure you know what you are getting into.

Continue reading
  4. "Such a great company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

There have been some changes in management and leadership and they are very positive now. This is such a great company and the culture is fantastic!

Cons

You have to be good at managing your time and being organized. But the day flies by!

5. "Amazing Training"

Current Employee - Factory Representative

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Training class led by Tim Shanty is the most fun and productive learning experience I’ve ever had the pleasure to be a part of. The company takes care of its own, will not let you fail, and will provide ongoing training. Low stress; work hard and get rewarded!

Cons

Lots of driving, but that is the only sacrifice you’ll have to make

"Its okay"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Upper Marlboro, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The money is okay. Could be better .

Cons

Customers always mad. Sales don’t care what they sell knowing we can’t so the job.

7. COVID-19

"Okay if you do not care about your work"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I worked at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have worked with the company for almost two years, and my opinion greatly changed. The facilities are very nice and there are a few seriously fantastic, nice, and hard working people. They also do host some nice parties and morale boosters. I also appreciate that they work with different charities in the area and help out the communities in that way. I think this company has good potential with some things being fixed.

Cons

TCW has potential but where it is right now, there are other companies in this area that offer more. To start, benefits are WAAYYY to expensive. I would bet the higher end of the chain does not value paying into benefits because if you wanted to stay competitive, it not hard to do. You just have to pay into it. If you are single, they are not too bad, but if you are needing to add anyone to your plan, you can forget about being able to bring a substantial paycheck home for the majority of positions here. There are quite a few positions at the company that make around or less than $20/hour and if you are providing benefits for a family of 5 . . . let's just say you better have a second job or income in your household. A good amount of successful, or could be successful people leave because of that. Until you work for a couple years with the company, you only earn a little over 3 hours of PTO a paycheck from the day you start. That means you can accrue 2 weeks’ worth of time off a year, and it takes a year for you to earn that. You can start using after your first 100 days but small chance you will have enough to take a week or two weeks paid vacation because you know, life happens. Accruing pto over time is normal, it’s the small amount and the low cap on what you can accrue that stinks. Which only started to bother me when this Pandemic with COVID-19. Thompson Creek showed its true colors at this time. I know there are companies that do nothing and companies that go above and beyond. I know TCW is not a fortune 500 company, but you work to win the “Top Place to Work” awards each year, there should have been more done. You can tell everyone in my department and others were fearful of losing their job, or worried about paying bills because we needed to call off for being sick, family members were sick, or afraid to be near people. If we wanted time off, we had to use PTO (normal) , but when they eventually came around to ASSURING US WE WOULDN’T BE FIRED for needing to not come in, some people maybe had a few days worth of PTO, and then we went unpaid. An additional email went out saying there will be a reduction in force. I was worried about how I was going to get paid and no one really communicated what that email meant for me. COVID-19 has made a couple things clear, parties are used as a distraction, communication is rough, and you are just a number if you are not a manager. There are some managers that do not pull their weight by either micromanaging or completely ignore the issue, and will very easily put it on their department instead of taking the "accountability" or having "integrity" . The quotes are because that is what they claim to be their values. You can’t even depend on the HR department to help you out, they either do not care and let things slide or are clueless. None of the HR leadership has been there for the past month. Its hard to feel the “open door policy” when no one is in the office during a critical time. While I was furloughed for over a month because of COVID-19, there were employees posting the pizza and spiked seltzer parties on social media. Good to know that everyone was having fun while I still do not have a job. Other companies in the area get things sent to their house, or regular communication. I know that costs money, but no one that I know in my department has even been checked in on and no one has checked on me. I know that is not an expectation, but that would have been nice. I get it, things are crazy right now, but it stinks to know your throwing parties, when I am still waiting to come back to work. When times are hard is when it matters. The mass email is good for an across the board message, but an email, text, or phone call would have gone a long way. I truly feel bad for those hard workers i mentioned earlier. Thompson Creek does possess some really great and talented people but their ability to shine is stifled and learning bad habits from managers. There are many younger managers or individual employees in a couple departments that are kept from shining or used to make those managers that slack, shine. There is a lack of support and mentorship. They feed you a little to keep you happy, but you have to be on the right side of the right manager to move up. I feel worse because we are all told that there is so much room for growth and development from our first call with a recruiter and it seems like a way to start blowing smoke early. Not to fault them, it is probably what they are told to say to get people in the door. They can not help that leadership does not care enough to grow and develop their staff.

8. "My Start"

Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Windsor Mill, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of help from your team. Continued work education to build upon.

Cons

Recruiting could be more on point.

9. "Training Staff"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Real live training. Great support from staff members and teammates. Tim Shanty and the Management Team's style of teaching prepares you for what you will see in the field. The culture at TC is what every Sales Rep is looking for in a company.

Cons

Must love driving! Must be flexible enough to work alone and with a supporting team.

"Fantastic training"

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Thompson Creek Window Co. full-time for less than a year

Pros

You’ll not only learn everything about the industry and our products, but the initial training and ongoing training will get the best out of you. Tim, the instructor and company motivator can identify each ones strengths and build from that. HIGHLY recommend if you’re selected.

Cons

So far I have seen no cons. Great environment all around.

Found 155 reviews