Thompson Hine Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
David J. Hooker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Excellent Large Firm"

I have been working at Thompson Hine full-time

Pros

Company is up to date on newest technology and very forward thinking.

Cons

Work distribution a little uneven.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"TM"

I worked at Thompson Hine full-time

Pros

Free food and year end bonus. Enjoyed the interactions with the lawyers and staff. Very friendly people. I developed many lasting relationships here. Compensation is fair, but be sure to factor in parking costs when negotiating salary.

Cons

Pay for parking, No telecommuting for non exempt staff. I can only speak for the Talent management dept but working in the dept I felt like I was back in grade school. Support staff can’t listen to music while working, managers treat staff like children, they watch your every move from bathroom breaks to going to lunch. EXTREME MICROMANAGEMENT AND pettiness. Everyone is walking around on eggshells. You will be assigned to 2 managers, but in reality you will report to ALL 6-7 managers who can’t make a move without “permission” from the higher up. If you have a brain, have a hard worth ethic, and need little to no supervision to do your job then this isn’t the department for you.
    If you are a “doer” and go with the flow you will do fine here. Very little interest in developing leaders and do not invest in professional development opportunities for support staff. Everyone leaves.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and allow people to do their jobs. And just have everyone report to the director since she makes all of the department’s decisions anyway. You will continue to lose people (esp millennials) with your outdated management style. Reward your high performers or risk losing them. Take a course on how to lead and work with millennials.

"Talent Management"

I worked at Thompson Hine full-time

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were good people. I genuinely loved what I did.

Cons

Stay away from the Talent Management department. Turnover is high and for good reason. There is blatant favoritism among a certain member of the dept. Upper management is rude and condescending. I was expected to be available at any time, including days off.

Advice to Management

Ask yourself why there were so many GOOD people in that dept who have left and reflect on whether or not your management style could be the issue.

4. "SPARK"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Thompson Hine (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing that I can think of.

Cons

F+; Caste System wherein associates have no ability to get work unless they are part of the "In Group". Everybody leaves. Compensation is very low.

Advice to Management

Move away from Ohio.

"Not a good place to work"

I worked at Thompson Hine full-time

Pros

Year end bonus is all I can think of

Cons

Very toxic environment. Felt I was back in high school. I wouldn't advise working here.

6. "The Lackadaisical Approach"

I worked at Thompson Hine full-time

Pros

Kind staff. The rest of the pros I could cite would only be superficial providing no real cause to apply.

Cons

The docket department has unnecessary weekly meetings that deflect from actual production and produce no results or change. The firm has terrible benefits and no room for personal growth. They do not invest in employees where it matters most to employees.

Advice to Management

The entire department could be phased out with very little disruption to the firm. The group could add value by taking on more projects but the manager does not see the value or necessity and in some cases is putting the firm at risk because it would be more work not to.

"Beware of Disastrous IP group!"

Former Employee - Attorney in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Attorney in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Thompson Hine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice main office in Cleveland, free food, many nice people, and the firm has a good reputation as a general practice law firm (at least in the Cleveland area).

Cons

The firm has a very good reputation in Cleveland for general business and product liability litigation. That being said, some other practices are not strong at all. The IP group is a complete mess, and should be avoided at all costs. The clients are figuring out many IP attorneys are clueless and are pulling their business. The work load is unstable at best. Many partners and associates are leaving due to this. They are hiring new patent associates, but more often than not there is not enough work to keep them busy - and then the associates are asked to leave.

Also, the pay is way below market. They'll tell you that you will get a bonus, but you probably won't. If by chance you bill past your minimum and do, the bonus is so low it's like an hourly wage of a Walmart manager.

Advice to Management

You should concentrate more on a few practice successful groups, and get rid of the rest of them.

8. "Associate"

I have been working at Thompson Hine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of client interaction and good sponsorship

Cons

Hours, slow to partnership and low bonus

9. "Associate"

Pros

Great people, great salary, great opportunities.

Cons

Not much to say in the negative.

Advice to Management

N/A

10. "Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at Thompson Hine (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture was good and much respect between lawyers and staff. Good Benefits

Cons

Not much room for advancement