Thompson Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Thompson Hospitality Chairman and President Warren M. Thompson
Warren M. Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The culture of the work environment is second to none (in 5 reviews)

• There are no Pros working for this slave ship (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • NO work Life Balance expect you to work all the time to please the client (in 7 reviews)

• The corporate office ALWAYS messes up the employees paychecks (in 10 reviews)

1. "Director of Facilities"

Current Employee - Director of Facilities in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Director of Facilities in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent company. From the onboarding process through the day to day work environment, the Corporate, Regional and District Staff provides the motivation, direction and training to be successful. I always feel comfortable in reaching out to my peers and supervisors if I need help. With regular staffing calls and meetings, not only does Thompson provide the training and direction, but also the structure and atmosphere to make a contribution. The HR Team has also been invaluable in providing onsite guidance for day to day employment issues. I have seen that the Company President is also involved in field operations and communicates directly to us to give us that sense of comfort that he is there for us as well. The company also seeks are input on areas where the company can grow. This makes us feel part of the success.

Cons

The company looks for and hires top notch staff. Having gone through the recruiting process, I can verify that the interview and on boarding also is well done.

Advice to Management

Just continue to seek opportunities for growth and continue to hire the top notch staff that you are recruiting.

Nov 10, 2016 – Thompson Hospitality

We thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your experience at Thompson Hospitality. We pledge to try our hardest to continue to serve you and all our team members with the utmost respect and... More

"Production Manager"

Former Employee - Production Manager in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Reston, VA

I worked at Thompson Hospitality (More than a year)

Pros

Will definitely prepare you for any other job you work for, due to the high need of having to improvise due the lack of proper staffing and access to equipment and products.

Cons

Heavy micro-management, firm believers of inflicting fear and not having true respect for employees. Will work you harder than any fast food chain or large company.

Jun 14, 2017 – Thompson Hospitality

We thank you for taking the time to write a review. As a company, we strive to provide a work environment that our team members will enjoy and have experiences that add value to their career. Respect... More

"What a shame"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Thompson Hospitality full-time

Pros

... Can't think of anything.

Cons

No work life balance...like none at all. It is expected to work at all hours, everyday of the week with no comp time as a salaried employee. Upper management sees you as a work horses not as a person and they have no respect for you. HR is a joke. Turn over is the worst I have every seen; even in food service. The health insurance is overpriced and crap. Run for the hills!!

Advice to Management

Rebuild, rebuild, rebuild. Like starting with the owner and work its way down. Change the mind set, change the expectations, and care for your employees.

Jun 21, 2017 – Thompson Hospitality

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are committed to creating a comfortable, positive and collaborative working environment for all associates. As the company grows, we... More

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Board Director in Princess Anne, MD
    Former Employee - Board Director in Princess Anne, MD

I worked at Thompson Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My employees were great! I miss them even to this day.

Cons

-No work life balance. I started on a Monday and 14 days later I got 1 day off. The longest stretch of work was 30 days straight with no day off. No lie, you can go and ask any of my employees and they will let you know how much I was required to work. I had to open and close. The VP and District Manager had no cares about your life as long as they didn't have to come and help open the account. The turn over is high among the hourly and salaried. All salaried that opened the account quit after I left. And the turn over continues.

My parents came to visit me 1 weekend and I wasn't even allowed to take time off to have dinner with them! Just 1 dinner.

-Payroll can't get anything correct. It took 3 months to get my 1st pay check which was wrong. I was constantly on the phone with payroll about my employees paychecks.

Advice to Management

Thompson Hospitality is ranked among the lowest of Food Service companies. When other companies mention how bad the company is when you interview, you know it's bad. I even had to take Thompson off my resume to get a job!

"Corporate Needs to do Better"

Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Reston, VA

Pros

Being at a university, the summer breaks are great. Not to many students to deal with!

Cons

Where do I begin. I used to be proud to work for a minority owned company but since I've been with the company for over 2yrs, I'm embarrassed to say I'm a manager with TH. The biggest issue is the hiring process. I hired so many people over the summer and I'm STILL waiting for them to be entered in the system. The hiring process is ridiculous for a minimum wage job!!!!!! To who ever is responding to these reviews, take a break and enter the hourly associates into the system so we won't be so short staffed! Ya'll know August and September are the busiest months because ya'll see the money coming in. My employees are tired and so are the managers and it's not even a month into the school year. I've read through a lot of reviews and as a manager, I 100% agree with the cons! I used to think it was just my unit but I see that's not the case! This job will leave you lifeless. When you do have a free day, you'll be too tired to enjoy it. I can go and on because I have helped multiple accounts within TH and it's the same BS. TH please get it together, if not for us, do it for the HBCUs we are serving!

Advice to Management

Get your experience and go.

Sep 29, 2016

At Thompson Hospitality people are our “number one” asset. As a manager you are a very important team member who should feel loyalty and team spirit. Our CEO and our team work hard every day to try... More

"Misleading information"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Auburn, AL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Auburn, AL

I worked at Thompson Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They didn't have a problem with hiring family members.

Cons

They transferred me to another position that was supposed to come with a huge salary increase. After three weeks I discovered the move was lateral with no increase in income.

Aug 17, 2016 – Human Resources Director

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to hear of the miscommunication with your transfer. Communication is one of the company's highest priority and the company is working on putting processes and... More

7. "Server"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Thompson Hospitality part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, fast, good food, happy environment.

Cons

Limited variety of food choices to eat as a vegetarian

Advice to Management

Work hard

Jun 18, 2016 – Thompson Hospitality

Your comments are important to us. We will continue to increase our food choices by providing farm fresh, organic, locally grown fruit and vegetables. Thank you for bringing this to our attention... More

8. ""From Good to Great""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and talent. Very little micro-management. The company is working hard to improve services and work environment. The companies has implemented and have been researching great new products in the area of collaboration, performance management, onboarding, recruiting, and communications to enable better business processes and a more positive experience for all employees. It has been a good place to work and I look forward to a successful employment relationship.

Cons

No, cons! I see opportunities for improvement and growth. And that is with every company. There are always opportunities to improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your employees and follow through on promises.

Jun 18, 2016 – Thompson Hospitality

What an excellent book in your subject line: Good to Great by Jim Collins. Very good reading for the professional. We thank you for your positive outlook, this is great! At Thompson... More

9. "Great Place To Work..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Thompson Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, support from the home office and excellent leadership from the CEO downward.

Cons

Nothing to report at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep the mindset that the people are your number one asset. :-)

May 25, 2016 – Thompson Hospitality

We appreciate your positive feedback about your employment with us. We take your review seriously and we look forward to continuing this positive work experience with you and all our valuable team... More

10. "Heartfelt Hospitality"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Professional environment with friendly, hard working colleagues.

Cons

No need to think negatively when there are so many positives to share.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, always treating employees exactly as you want them to treat your best customers.

May 26, 2016 – Thompson Hospitality

Sincere appreciation for your thoughtful comments. Heartfelt Hospitality indeed!