Thompson Tractor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Thompson

1. "Quality Control Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrant City, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrant City, AL

Pros

I worked with Terry Benton. He was a great manager. Very clear on what was expected of me and always had an open door with any questions.

Cons

None that I can remember.

2. "Too tolerant of lower-middle management issues"

Former Employee - Parts in Tarrant City, AL
    Former Employee - Parts in Tarrant City, AL

I worked at Thompson Tractor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you want somewhere to just exist and get by, they'll keep you on as long as you show up and don't screw up too badly. This does hurt the morale of coworkers who want to do a great job, however.

Cons

Management is rarely qualified to hold their position. They make many decisions based on metrics that incentivize them to scrimp on things that their departments need to accomplish their jobs. This leads to employees to hoard supplies (or even buy their own) so as to ensure that they will have what they need during the time that it takes management to reorder things that should have been ordered days or weeks prior. This also leads to allowing equipment to get to dangerous levels of disrepair, and they do not follow lockout/tagout procedures (or often even know what they are) so when a dangerous situation is observed and equipment is properly taken offline, that same equipment is regularly put back into service with little to no repair made by a middle manager whose bonus check depends on him not repairing it properly.

The corporate priority is appearance, not reality, so don't let the safety and cleanliness banners fool you. It's not safe (they're currently under OSHA investigation, and they're not fixing what's actually broken), and it's only clean in places that upper management might see. The current CEO doesn't appear to want to know what's going on, as the other C level execs do what it takes to keep him in the dark on many important issues, and he's sharp enough to catch on, if he wanted to.

Information is withheld from employees who need it, for no discernable reason, and in times when it actually hurts the company. I went through three shift changes where the new time to report to work was not known until the Friday of the preceding week. Once, due to a predicted weather issue, people had to call in the next Monday to find out what time they were supposed to be at work, since no one posted a new schedule that Friday before the weather forced a closure. Many times someone has wasted hours on a job that didn't need to be done, or needed to be done a different way, before the manager felt it was time to share pertinent information with the staff. This has affected customers with no repercussions to management, who promptly threw staff under the bus instead of admitting that they did not communicate properly.

Advice to Management

Fire people that are dragging the company down. They're the ones that the whole company and most customers use as a punchline. Admit that their promotion was a mistake and replace them with someone who is actually qualified and will be respected.

Stop valuing appearance over reality. The veneer wears thin quickly.

Stop incentivising unqualified managers to scrimp on supplies and equipment. It's going to get someone seriously hurt or killed.

3. "C class mechanic"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrant City, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tarrant City, AL

I have been working at Thompson Tractor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are ok could be way better

Cons

To much favoritism not a fair environment

5. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Management in Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - Management in Hoover, AL

I worked at Thompson Tractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of the best privately owned companies in Birmingham, AL.
    Outstanding owners and Executive Management Team
    A place where you can have and enjoy a career!

Cons

None. Consider yourself fortunate if you are hired.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

6. "Awesome experience and wonderful people"

Former Employee - Technician in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Technician in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Thompson Tractor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent management. Employees were team players. Moral was exceptional.

Cons

After years of working on heavy equipment as a diesel technician it took its toll on my body. Unfortunately I had to get out of that line of work because of my injuries.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

7. "Stable company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vestavia Hills, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vestavia Hills, AL

I have been working at Thompson Tractor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place if you are looking for stability. The company is fairly well hedged against the coal industry by now. Caterpillar is a stable company and have one of the best dealership networks on the planet and it's hard to imagine a time when people will not need equipment. Most of the people are laid back and easy to get along with.

Cons

Very bureaucratic structure. Managers have little autonomy and small decisions have to be approved by VP's or higher. Therefore, processes and ideas move very slowly and innovation is almost nonexistent. The corporate attitude appeals to the older generation that "work at the same place for 40 years" but does not translate to the younger work force mindset. Vacation time is extremely mediocre- you only get 2 WEEKS A YEAR until your 10th year.

8. "Love this Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Thompson Tractor full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management is extremely flexible, family oriented and seek to do the best for their employees. They encourage self-growth and help develop goals consistent to achieving that growth.

Cons

I think, like most companies, this company has faced economic challenges that have created a low morale among employees, but overall the company has tried to do things to boost that morale back up and encourage employees to continue to work with as much effort as they always have.

Advice to Management

Communication to employees is vital. People don't understand decisions made because they don't know the why behind those decisions. This can often create an environment of confusion.

"Laid Off after nearly 20 years"

Former Employee - Field Service-Idustrial Engine Div in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Field Service-Idustrial Engine Div in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Thompson Tractor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

For the first 10 to 15 yrs it was a great place to work. I made top pay within 3-4 yrs, then to field service. The insurance was good. I was deployed overseas in 2004. Thompson took care of my family as far as insurance was concerned. In the mid 80s, the company took care of the employees as the market was in a down turn.

Cons

Somewhere in the mid to early 90s there appeared to be a change within the company. Ownership was turned over to someone other than the original owner. The management atttitude changed drastically. Often times, upper management covered for departmental supervisors - some were drinking on the job, leaving work early, etc. When these issues were brought to the attention of upper management nothing was done until their hand was forced to. In 2008, there was early retirement buy outs and rumors of possible layoffs. i was finally laid off in June, 2009 after 19 yrs. and 3 os. of service to the company. There was several in similar situations laid off too. Many revenue producers were laid off instead of non-revenue employees. A couple of years after the layoff, Thompson was having to hire more mechanics because they did not have enough for some jobs they had in progress. I would not return to work there. As I was laid off after 20 yrs, how would I know it would not happen again.

Advice to Management

Take care of your enployes and they will take care of you.

10. "Outstanding company, outstanding employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Thompson Tractor full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Thompson Tractor Company is not only an outstanding company that focuses on serving the needs of the customer but also an outstanding company that focuses on the needs of its employees. This is a place where hard work is valued and rewarded.

Cons

If you are afraid of hard work this is not the place for you. No company is perfect, but this has been a great place for me.

"my experiance has been less than satisfactory due to faults in my department."

Current Employee - Leadman in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Leadman in Birmingham, AL

Pros

outside of my department i believe there is many opportunities available

Cons

pay in my department is unfair