Thomson Reuters Reviews in Ann Arbor, MI | Glassdoor

1. "Working @ TR"

Current Employee - Strategic Sales Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Strategic Sales Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance. Very laid back office environment. Competitive comp plan. Base + commission + quarterly bonus. Year one (9 months because I started in late March) $65,000. Year 2 $105,000. Your provided with a nice set of tools to work with.

Cons

Definitely not an environment where you can learn to sell. Must have those skills walking through the door. Inside position so there is the drama that goes with it. Unique structure with reps in field selling same product. Success is reliant on relationships you develop with your counterpart in the field. Ability to earn at a high level is compromised if your not "well liked" by the old boys network.

Advice to Management

Nothing for my manager and his boss. They are fantastic. The Area Sales Managers are stuck in a time warp. Terrible.

"Experience working at Thomson"

Current Employee - User Services Representative in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - User Services Representative in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career opportunities, development oppportunies, diversity, building friendships

Cons

Micromanagers, some managers/teams lack transparency, teams are "ok" with status quo, managers/leaders aren't always on the same page, some managers are more controlling than empowering.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. Stop misleading employees to think you trust them but yet micromanage everything that's done. Empower, trust, support, guide employees to accomplish goals/tasks rather than micromanaging everything. This isn't all managers but this applies to some.

"Other big companies are probably the same"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Flexible hours
    -Good benefits outside the workplace - some 401k matching for example

Cons

-Pinching pennies everywhere - switched to having just a few communal trash cans for a floor, got rid of plates and bowls in the kitchen, never even had cups, etc.
    -Annual raise is about the same as inflation but that's probably true of most big companies
    -We were all moved to an open work space plan which is very bad for productivity. Hard to stay focused when working in the middle of a call center for a few months of the year (support season) - the vast majority of employees were strongly against the OWP due to it not working well with our work environment
    -Management is not responsive to ideas from below them until it meets their direct and immediate objectives

Advice to Management

Please include employees in at least some decision making that affects us and our work. We often better understand our own implementation and can save more time and money overall if we can be a part of the process not just told what to do after others decide for us. Also please be open and direct about organizational change instead of hiding it behind corporate jargon. We all now know that "standardizing benefits across global departments" means we are losing some perk.

"Average Company"

Current Employee - Sr Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Sr Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to work with technology. There is a lot of effort to be open and welcoming culture to all employees. Lots of travel opportunities. Flexible hours, some work from home opportunities.

Cons

Employees are treated as a cost liability. Employee benefits and day-to-day niceties are sliding and have been for years. The uniform and accepting culture does not reward excellent employees for fear of being disrespectful of under-performing employees.

Advice to Management

Upper management is focused on being profitable in the short term, which is hurting our long-term potential. Some of these efficiency cuts are demoralizing. Outsourcing employees and eliminating jobs are demoralizing, as the cuts are always directly related to performance.

Mar 30, 2017 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for your feedback - we are always looking at ways to make improvements & candid feedback is the best way for us to understand the areas where we need to focus.

"Awesome place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility: You can arrive a little later if you're willing to leave a little later
    Team flexibility: Freedom to move around other teams if you decide you would prefer something different
    Good pay: Decent salary

Cons

None, that I know.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you do.

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your review and valued contribution. We're proud to have been named among the top 25 companies striving to promote a work-life balance as a part of company culture.

"People are the most important part of a business"

Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The team I work on is great: supportive, helpful, intelligent, smart, savvy, resourceful.
    Management - immediate supervisors is laid back, approachable, open to new ideas, offer constructive criticism, resourceful, intelligent, etc.
    There is a lot of experience on the team. Most members have been with the company for more than ten years.
    Upper management keeps you informed of what is going on company and division-wide

Cons

Upper management is too concerned with the bottom line. Two thousand people were laid off because 2016 profits weren't as expected. But 2015 was a banner year. Management was too quick to make cuts. The teams are lean - they were not over-staffed. With the recent cuts, teams are over-worked and staff are grumbling.

Advice to Management

The employees are your greatest asset. With the recent cuts, remaining staff is over-worked. There is a high possibility of more people leaving because they are unhappy.
    Upper management needs to focus on the long-term big picture and not short term bandaids.

Jan 25, 2017 – Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your review and valued contribution. We thank you & congratulate you on your 3+ years of service. We agree that when you work at Thomson Reuters, you’re partnering with the industry’s ... More

"Meh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of nice people and great friendships

Cons

Horrible comp plan, horrible overlapping of accounts. too many cooks in one kitchen.

Advice to Management

stop overlooking the fact that your inside sales team deserves the same treatment and respect as your field team.

"Almost everything promised was undelivered."

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

I've never seen a pro so far.

Cons

I was interviewed for one department but offered a position in another for less money. Since then I have been told by my recruiters that they only want me in the department in which they passed me up in the first place. I have continuously been passed up for promotions while male members of my office with less experience have been given them. I was also told they refused to train a girl in our office because she was pregnant. Then they passed her up for a positions because she hadn't done any trainings that year. Which is illegal by federal law. This company is a joke. They claim to be a positive forward thinking workplace but they are actually a sexist cesspool. Avoid a job in the Ann Arbor office at all cost if you are a woman.

They lie, treat their employees like slaves. Mandatory overtime less than $50,000 salary and only straight time for overtime. They have breached federal workers mandate and who knows what else.

Advice to Management

Take federal law seriously. Don't just wait to see if people will sue you make it right immediately. Stop telling people you look internally when you ignore long time valuable employees and hire more sexist men from outside of the office.

10. "Good Experience"

Current Intern - Technical Support Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Intern - Technical Support Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters as an intern

Pros

Learn about taxes
    Accounting tools used
    friendly and open environment
    Training is detailed
    independent
    Casual dress code for the most part

Cons

lower pay
    long hours
    work weekends during tax season
    Cafeteria doesn't have good food
    overtime can be full days
    Not as flexible with time off

Advice to Management

Really give a heads up on the hours.

11. "Tech Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willis, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Willis, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty good pay, the management is good they seem to really care about you, great benefits

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement within the call center. Pretty limited as far as what position you can go to.

Showing 142 of 6,025 reviews