Thomson Reuters Business Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Thomson Reuters Business Analyst Reviews

Updated Sep 14, 2019

3.1
Thomson Reuters CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

"One Year Anniversary with TR Review"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Culture (Welcoming, Flexible, Value-Driven) - Collaborative Atmosphere - people value your feedback/input at all levels of the organization - Employee Appreciation - TR truly values their employees (Employee Picnics, Continuous Education/Training, Career Development, Maternity Leave Policy (AMAZING!!!), and the overall Culture makes you feel appreciated and happy to be apart of this wonderful company. -... Campus - this building and the campus is beautiful!! I have yet to walk around and explore. - Commute - my commute is so much better now. Makes a huge difference in my stress level not having to sit in traffic for hours! - Work/Family Balance - This company truly "Gets It" when it comes to balance with family and work. This is so important for your well being and state of mind.

Cons

- Communication - sometime with a company this big, it's hard to keep up with what's going on. The notifications are nice, but the come in all sort of directions and it can be a little overwhelming. - Company Structure - I know this is in the works - but it's challenging to know who does what and where! I've only been here a year, so I'm still learning the ropes around here :-)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!! This is an amazing company and I'm proud to be a part of it! :-)

Thomson Reuters2018-06-25

"A Glassdoor Review From A Former TR Alumni"

Former Employee - Senior Business Operations Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work/life balance (especially for NYC), my manager was great & very professional, micromanagement was not something that was prevalent throughout the workforce, vibrant office culture (at least for the most part), flexibility to work from home once established, pretty reputable company that will enable you to gain exposure in a countless number of areas, and overall solid product.

Cons

Layoffs & employee turnover is excessively high, bureaucracy & corporatism has unfortunately become more and more rampant, poor compensation for the entry & mid-level employees that are required to wear many hats, lack of job security & upward career mobility, too much emphasis on org restructuring & trying to remain "agile," some in executive leadership or at the director level can lack... transparency, some in HR can by phony, some in IT can be rather shortsighted, and the health benefits & employee perks are mediocre especially for such a large scale organization.

Advice to Management

When things are economically sustainable, customers are satisfied, employees are loyal, the product is working, and the org is growing at a manageable pace there is no need to go in over your head and jeopardize it; actions have consequences and change is not always for the better hence, the 'domino effect.'

Thomson Reuters2019-07-01
  3. "Good work-life balance, required to fulfill multiple roles"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home, good maternity and paternity leave, good vacation time

Cons

Required to fulfill multiple roles in an Agile environment

Thomson Reuters2019-06-24

"It's a job"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

Good honest employment and good teammates

Cons

Outsourcing alot of work overseas

Thomson Reuters2019-05-09

"Layoffs layoffs layoffs"

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good work life balance. Coworkers are great.

Cons

Layoffs, layoffs, layoffs. If you like layoffs, this is the place to be. Laying off people is the easy way to raise stock prices. Not a good long term option for employment. Just to be clear, I was not laid off. Layoffs are still occurring at Thomson Reuters.

Advice to Management

Any amount of advice won't make an incompetent person, competent.

Thomson Reuters2019-03-31

"Large Corporate Cultural Woes, but a Good Company overall"

Former Employee - Lead Business Analyst in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A good company overall. They tend to stay current and competitive in their technology. That, and the size of the company, affords lots of opportunity to grow and move into other areas - as long as you keep yourself current and competitive. Overall, the benefits are good and also competitive with most other corporations.

Cons

There's some downsides, probably typical of large public corporations. There seems to be a tendency to make decisions driven by more immediate stockholder expectations rather than what's necessarily best for the company. For example, there were quite a few layoffs while I was there, with a couple of pretty disruptive outsourcing reorganizations. I assume supposedly to save payroll expense, but at what other... cost to the business in terms of lost knowledge and expertise. In recent years, the focus is on moving the entire company to an "enterprise" organization, creating enterprise shared services support groups, and trying to standardize systems and processes across many varied business units. Therefore, change can be slow b/c every project has to be considered in terms of how it fits into the enterprise plan. I'm guessing certain specific departments and business units are able to respond to change more quickly and less bureaucratically. But those are likely to be the outlying areas and not the areas that are central to the company's success. So, in those core areas, there's been some pain and frustration with that. But they seemed to be getting there, and once they do I think they should be able to adapt and respond more quickly. But it's still going to be a pretty big ship to turn. So, will have to see.

Advice to Management

Worry less about stockholder expectations or just about meeting a bonus goal, and focus on what's truly good for the company and the employees. If you say that employees are your "most valuable resource", but then just treat them as collateral damage, then your message rings hollow.

Thomson Reuters2019-02-27

"Don’t work at TR if you want career growth and raises"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Amazing work-life balance, vacation time, and maternity leave. Amazing employees who will do anything to help you.

Cons

Don’t expect any career growth - managers will entice you with senior/lead promotions but never actually give them out - there isn’t even any guidelines within the org about what determines whether or not you’re on the right path to become a senior or lead. Thomson’s work policy for working remote is a joke - some departments can work completely remote, some departments can’t work remote at all, and there’s no... internal guidelines about how this policy works. Some employees even get preferential treatment and can work completely remote, while others might not be able to even work remote 1-2 days a week. You also shouldn’t expect any significant raises - in the 8+ years I was with TR, I was severely underpaid (thanks Glassdoor!), and my manager always claimed his hands were tied by HR/management. I think my average raises were 1%-3%, even with good performance reviews and continued education.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent about the expectations of a job and any future job growth potential like senior designation. Create transparent policies that spell out how an employee becomes a senior employee. Create company-wide guidelines about working remote.

Thomson Reuters2019-02-02

"Disorganization at its best."

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vacation is good compared to other companies.

Cons

No leadership, no goals, no training. Bosses are more worry how their bosses see them to actually lead their teams. It is a shame, many people leaving.

Advice to Management

Get your act together.

Thomson Reuters2019-02-04

"Average place to work"

Current Employee - Business Analyst

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Average place to work and fairly flexible with hours.

Cons

At Thomson Reuter’s you are just a number. They put less and less emphasis on the employees each year. For them it is all about the bottom line.

Thomson Reuters2019-01-30
  10. "Good company, but environment can be hit or miss"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Carrollton, TX

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, transparent processes for employees, excellent benefits.

Cons

Different managers offer wildly different work environments. A lot of confusion regarding next steps for a lot of groups within the organization.

Thomson Reuters2018-11-08