Thomson Reuters Data Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 78 reviews

3.2
Thomson Reuters CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

"TTA PS&S a Great Thomson Reuters unit to work for!"

Data Analyst in Dexter, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

The resilience and financial results of Thomson Tax and Accounting, TTA PS&S, aka, Creative Solution’s (CS) for the last couple of years has provided a job environment that feels secure in these uncertain market times. The environment at CS is laid back but extremely profession as it comes to our products and deliverables. Employees of all levels at CS seem to understand the importance of family and a life outside... of work, yet at the same time want to and do deliver excellent services and products. It is a great place to grow professionally and have the opportunity to learn many aspects of business.

Cons

Not all business units are the same. Healthcare is a terrible unit to work for compared to Creative Solutions.

Advice to Management

Thank you for effectively managing your people and not just focusing on projects, for it is the people that complete and deliver the projects. Healthcare could learn a lot from CS’s management.

Thomson Reuters2008-09-07

"It's a Big Company"

Current Employee - Senior Data Analyst

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

After many years, I still love the content area I work in and really like my team and direct manager. I have worked both as a Manager and an individual contributor. I prefer being an individual contributor as they don't give managers much time to manage. They are typically expected to pick up a fair share of the workload in addition to managing their staff. Although I specialize in a particular area, there is... good exposure to a wide variety of financial data and tools. I periodically work on projects across multiple departments, and I have found most co-workers to be helpful and not territorial. As many have mentioned, the benefits are very good. Generous vacation+sick days+volunteer days, 4% matching 401(k), decent health benefits (but used to be better), flexible hours and work from home (depending on position). There are opportunities for development and advancement, again depending on department and interest.

Cons

The experience you have depends on the department/division you are in. My much smaller company was acquired by Thomson Reuters many years ago, and along with benefits of a large company, there are definite downsides. You really are just a number in the grand scheme of TR. Over the years there have been numerous rounds of layoffs and offshoring, and I've seen a lot of good people let go. (On the flip side,... severance packages have generally been good for those employees that are laid off.) My particular department has shifted from being a high expertise/leading edge content area to commoditized data, and the department has been shrunk and re-aligned numerous times, resulting in increased workloads. Not surprising, this results in lower morale and a bit of cynical attitude, while other priority departments and projects have received significant increases in resources. That said, layoffs, reorganizations, imbalances in resources, etc. are typical at any very large company. Pay increases are minimal, with little flexibility to reward high performers or adjust pay for shifting responsibilities. (Only 1-2.5% each year for the past 10 years. ) Unless you move to a completely different position, you cannot simply renegotiate your salary with your boss. There are specific pay scales for various positions/levels.

Thomson Reuters2017-06-13
  3. "Good not great company"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Woodbury, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a huge place (If you are looking at working in Eagan, MN). There are over 5000 employees at this particular location so there are multiple departments. The Pros would be, good pay. I did get college tuition reimbursement while I was there.

Cons

To big for me. People seemed to be paranoid to chat or get to know you, very corporate feeling. I didn't need there health insurance because my wife's company offers get coverage, but I heard that there health insurance was not good. You had a $3000 deductible you had to pay first (each year) before they would start to cover medical bills.

Advice to Management

Work on creating a better atmosphere for your employees to tell you how they really think things are going. People are afraid to tell you what there managers are not doing or not saying.

Thomson Reuters2016-09-12
  4. "Good work life balance"

Former Employee - Data Analyst

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work life balance is good. People are helpful at most levels.

Cons

Below market wages, minimal increase in yearly pay. Very little mobility.

Advice to Management

TR needs to focus on one big initiative and not small competing ones. As with most companies when you outsource you get what you pay for.

Thomson Reuters2016-03-22
  5. "Good people, bad management, not very challenging work"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers are great, great office location in downtown Denver

Cons

Constant reorgs cause lack of trust and job certainty. Work isnt very exciting, and management doesn't do a great job helping with career development

Thomson Reuters2014-05-24
  6. "Not bad"

Current Employee - Market Data Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits, division of labor, and good work-life balance.

Cons

Repetitive and non-challenging, but room for growth.

Advice to Management

N/A

Thomson Reuters2014-05-12

"Mediocre"

Former Contractor - Business Data Analyst in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters for less than a year

Pros

Stable work in the Legal division, and some of the lower level management tries to make your job interesting. Some policies are in-place to identify talent, but the culture isn't there yet.

Cons

Staid culture in Legal, somewhat baffling that they don't make more money given that half of their legal business is an effective monopoly, vis a vis law school and prisons. Major initiatives get derailed when leadership changes their minds.

Thomson Reuters2014-04-19

"Inexperienced Management Makes Work Miserable"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Big company with a lot of opportunity IF you get the right manager. Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Management is absolutely awful. The complete lack of experience and professionalism makes life miserable. Work-from-home opportunity is simply a trap to overload employees with work (no choice but to bring it home and work 60 hours a week). Additionally this company is extremely cliquey. The culture reminds me a lot of high school.

Advice to Management

Seminars on improving managerial, communication, and professional courtesy skills would vastly improve working conditions for all.

Thomson Reuters2013-08-19

"Short-sighted management reaction to Obamacare"

Data Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

good vacation benefits and health and dental

Cons

Management exports jobs to non-US locations to save on healthcare and other costs.

Advice to Management

Don't sacrifice talent for cheap labor.

Thomson Reuters2011-10-26
  10. "Poor management"

Data Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Thomson Reuters

Pros

Good people to work with. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Too much nepotism, politics revolving around promotions. etc. Product developed poorly. Upper management running department poorly.Overall morale of employees is low. Limits on career development.

Advice to Management

Spend more time/money on developing product, not driving sales. Listen to employees. Expand career development.

Thomson Reuters2011-04-01