Thomson Reuters Reviews in Dexter, MI | Glassdoor

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Enjoyable colleagues, eroding benefits"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dexter, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Dexter, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, flex hours, difficult problems to solve, new things to learn, opportunities to grow and contribute outside skills and passions, good local management

Cons

Awful HR department, lack of onboarding education, eroding office amenities (eg moving to an open floor plan), cost-cutting at global management level

Advice to Management

Listen to what employers actually want instead of just declaring what we should want

"Big but ethical company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dexter, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Dexter, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management here is pretty great. Of course it varies, but in my location managers trust you to get the job done. There is no micromanagement here.

Our particular branch is developing on a new platform. Rather than hiring a bunch of outsiders, executives decided to invest in the talent they already had. We have had some truly top-notch training sessions and conferences to help us in the transition. This gives me incredible confidence that senior leadership is looking out for us.

TR's benefits package is progressive. It allows for domestic partnerships. It grants benefits for adoptive parents. It also allows you paid volunteer time and matching donations. The benefits themselves, however, lack a bit. The health insurance, from what I hear, is pretty cut-rate. They will match up your 401k contribution up to 4% of your salary. Bonuses are pretty high and, for the 3 years I have been here, are paid out almost in full.

Cons

TR is one of those companies that buys lots of other companies. Therefore, your mileage may vary depending on your location.

Sometimes, the work can be rather boring. At times, you feel like a cog in the war machine against our competitors.

If you don't work hard to promote yourself, you may get overlooked here. It is very easy to be a butt that fills a seat.

Advice to Management

Understand your best strengths: trust and willingness to invest in your talent. Understand your worst weakness: being too big to function. Empower local management to make decisions and incentivize their employees.

3. "Not to bad!"

Current Employee - Assistant Sales Director in Dexter, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Sales Director in Dexter, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and pay!

Cons

Advancement very difficult and with 700 sales people make you just # that is expendable

Apr 8, 2016 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We are always looking at ways to make improvements and we thank you for your feedback.

4. "Tax Analyst"

Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Dexter, MI
    Current Employee - Tax Analyst in Dexter, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You get to work with wonderful co-workers. Generous PTO. Money is set aside for each department to spend on employees for team building such as lunches.

Cons

Most years there is lots of overtime with deadlines at the holidays. Salary is not competitive for a profitable company. Company is now very large and it seems that top management makes decision based on improving stock price.

Advice to Management

Allow local management to make more decisions. Decision makers at the top seem to have little knowledge of the daily activities and challenges faced by employees in the divisions. Many of the decisions to try to make every division the same have a huge impact on employee's lives and working conditions. What might be good for one section may have a huge negative impact on another.

5. "Relaxing to work at, not much pressure"

Current Employee - Intern in Dexter, MI
    Current Employee - Intern in Dexter, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters (Less than a year)

Pros

relaxing, no pressure, no micro management

Cons

straight, big company which already developed its ways

Advice to Management

management is great and friendly

Sep 22, 2015 – Human Resource Partner

Thank you for your feedback and prior intern contribution.

6. "Great Internship"

Current Employee - User Experience Design Intern in Dexter, MI
    Current Employee - User Experience Design Intern in Dexter, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters (Less than a year)

Pros

Got to work on big, important projects. Really cool to see my work appreciated and used! But also had smaller jobs here and there to keep me busy when not working on larger projects.

Cons

A bit disorganized at times, but hardly an issue to complain about.

Sep 10, 2015 – Human Resource Partner

Thank you for your feedback and valued intern contribution.

"Comfortable but advancement difficult"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Dexter, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Dexter, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Friendly, hard-working co-workers; management is hands-off but always has a "door open"; terrific flexibility in time off, working from home accommodations; you get the feeling that everyone wants to put out a good product every year; decent work-life balance; pay is good.

Cons

Office is dated and low on perks; rare lead/senior turnover, making advancement difficult; feedback may be difficult to receive, depending on the team; software product outdated,ugly, and slow (though functional); yearly Q4 crunch period for tax products; rare opportunities for education or learning new skills.

Advice to Management

Give your employees clear, honest feedback, good or bad, whether or not they request it.

"Great company if in the right division"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dexter, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Dexter, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solid company with lots of growth and a global reach. If working in the right division there is a lot of good people, good management and opportunity for growth. 401K match @ 100% for the first 4% is also a great plus.

Cons

Lots of outsourcing going on right now with IT, Development, and Data Storage. Also pushing entire business to SAP which may not make sense for all units. Pay is average and health care leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Management

Trust in the talent that you have and trust that they know their business needs. A standard out-of-the-box solution such as outsourcing and moving to SAP may "save money" on paper but at what cost?

Jul 23, 2015 – Human Resource Partner

Thank you for your review and valued contribution.

"Good Growth Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dexter, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dexter, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will have the opportunity to work with a lot of great people. The environment is full of many talented, bright, and energetic people in the trenches. Pay is okay. This is a great company for people who are starting out in their careers, and looking to gain some initial experience in a growing software company. What you learn here will provide you with the experience and exposure you need to build out your resume and become a strong candidate for other, better, companies. If you aspire to become a politician, instead of a leader, this is a great company for cultivating your political skills.

Cons

Leadership has become disconnected, from both the staff and the customers. Performance management and career advancement are largely subjective and based on popularity. Those who are well liked can do no wrong. Those who are not well liked can do no right. Benefits are on the decline. Regardless of what they say, profits come first. Profits matter more than people. Profits matter more than customers.

Advice to Management

Remove the entire senior leadership team and start over.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Dexter, MI
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Dexter, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales training, great tools, great opportunity

Cons

Its a factory and your a disposable COG. Incredibly cold. Some of the worst management I have ever seen. They hire anybody and dispose of those they shouldn't have hired to start with. Does that sound efficient?

Advice to Management

Start treating people LIKE people. Not disposable assets.

Jul 20, 2015 – Human Resource Partner

Thank you for your review and prior contribution. We encourage employee engagement and at the same time strive to remove obstacles along with being supportive of everyone’s success.

Showing 33 of 6,438 reviews