Thomson Reuters Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

Updated November 16, 2017

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Some Good, Some Not As Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

*Some terrific people at this company.
    *Tends to be good work-life balance and flexibility.
    *There is a lot going on. Always something new to learn or do. A very exciting, engaging workplace.

Cons

*Outsourcing has made it hard to get even basic tasks completed. The transition to outsourced providers has been rocky and there is not enough oversight of the quality of service provided.

Advice to Management

*Develop your people and continue the focus on diverse recruiting.
    *See the whole picture of outsourcing and the productivity costs that come with it, rather than just the bottom line.

2. "A decent experience in legal area"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, employee stock plan, good environment

Cons

Tough to move up without a law degree, lower than average pay.

Mar 22, 2017 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for your contribution. We are always looking at ways to make improvements and we thank you for your feedback.

"Great place to sit back, collect paychecks and wait for retirement"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters (More than a year)

Pros

-Some contractors really knew their stuff: I was a recent graduate and learned a tremendous amount from a couple of the contractors there.
    -Great place to learn the basics: Thomson Reuters' code could've been used for textbook examples of enterprise code. Good place to get a foundation before finding something more exciting
    -Some opportunity to design features/systems (altho if you're new, you'll likely get relegated to the simpler stuff)

Cons

-Lots of old dudes just sitting around, not really wanting to work and doing everything they can to slow processes down.
    -Very little enthusiasm
    -Not the most exciting product

Advice to Management

-Stop sticking up for your friends, especially when they're developers who are weighing down the whole team

Mar 28, 2017 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for your feedback - we are always looking at ways to make improvements & candid feedback is the best way for us to understand the areas where we need to focus.

"Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Technology Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Technology Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Given room to make a difference, business units understand the need for the technology that runs their departments, lots of opportunity for training and great people.

Cons

IT was outsourced with the belief money would be saved! How many times have I seen this.

Advice to Management

Insource IT. Take care of your people.

Mar 16, 2017 – Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your review and valued contribution. We agree that when you work at Thomson Reuters, you’re partnering with the industry’s brightest thinkers. We are always looking at ways to make... More

"Compliance Attorney"

Current Employee - Compliance Attorney in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Compliance Attorney in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is flexible. The job is very low stress and there are no expectations to work overtime. The job comes with nearly 4 weeks of vacation and 5-6 sick days which you don't feel any pressure to avoid using when necessary. Company has 8 paid holidays. Annual bonus is generous. 401K matching and investment opportunities are decent. Healthcare costs are reasonable.

Cons

Pay is quite poor for an attorney role. Career path opportunities are scant and/or disappointing. Day-to-day work is often very repetitive. Expect small pay raises that amount to cost-of-living adjustments.

Advice to Management

Increase base pay and provide employees with better annual raises. Provide a clear career path.

"Workers sacrificed for upper management"

Former Employee - Reference Attorney in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Reference Attorney in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Convenience if you live in area

Cons

The pay and working conditions are abysmal. At my interview, I was promised opportunities for advancement and benefits, none of which materialized. Management is encouraged to keep salaries low and not allow use of benefits. Turnover was very high and we were often required to work weekends and nights without ot pay. The company has been sued for flsa violations. The only people promoted in my department were male. Women who hadchildren didn't come back. It was a very hostile working environment. The pay is so low they have trouble hiring, so expect to be short staffed. Nevertheless, management is constantly cutting positions or reducing people to contractor status or replacing staff with h1bs.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better.

"Systems Engineer"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Thomson Reuters is a huge company, with a global footprint. Many opportunities for education, advancement, job training, and continuing education.

Cons

I was with TR for over a decade. The cons are only related to working in IT for their Legal division.

I left TR 3 years ago. I got out before the first wave of IT outsourcing layoffs hit my department. I cannot say anything bad about the company as a whole, but what I can say is that working in Legal (formerly West Publishing, St. Paul/Eagan, MN) was an interesting experience. The company was completely different to work for before West Publishing was bought by Thomson, then later Thomson purchased Reuters until we have the conglomerate we see today. Since the merger I saw the company going downhill…wages for employees were less than market average, benefits went downhill, the tuition reimbursement program was cut in half, then cut all together, hiring freezes, promotion freezes, and the discontinuing of the pension program for newly hired employees. TR also divested a large share of their money making divisions…Thomson Learning and Thomson Health. I fear Thomson Legal will be divested soon as well because all of the signs of a failing division are present (see previous notes). Their legal division has been hurt by the failing print business. People do not read books anymore, they want information online. Their Westlaw product, while strong, could not keep up with the revenue enjoyed by their print business for decades. As the internet expanded, print subscriptions lessened.
    From an employee perspective, working at the Eagan, MN (former headquarters of the West Publishing business) location was typical to what you see in many Minnesota based companies…clickiness, ole boy club, subtle racism, and a definite glass ceiling for minority employees. Combine this with the poor financial outlook for this division and I would look elsewhere if you want a career…or even a job that is secure. Working in Eagan, MN was also the most toxic environment I have ever worked in. People were clicky, bigoted, back-stabby, untrustworthy, working in fear under authoritarian leadership models, non-supportive feckless HR, and you are getting paid less than other jobs in the same market. It is a no brainer…meaning work here if you have no brain.

Advice to Management

None

8. "Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work environment, people, benefits, technology, and products.

Cons

questionable valuation of local knowledge versus outsourcing decisions

Advice to Management

make America great again

Feb 24, 2017 – Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We thank you & congratulate you on your 10+ years of service.

9. "Sr Marketer"

Former Contractor - Senior Marketer in Eagan, MN
    Former Contractor - Senior Marketer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Forward thinking company and great building.

Cons

You may possess the skills and experience for positions at TR, however, if you do not have a 4 year degree, they will not even consider you.

Advice to Management

Drop the MUST have 4 year degree. You are losing a lot of well qualified people with actual work experience.

10. "Account executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, pays well for the work

Cons

Stressful, high pressure environment

Feb 16, 2017 – Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your review and valued contribution. We thank you & congratulate you on your 3+ years of service. We're proud to have been named among the top 25 companies striving to promote a... More

Showing 565 of 6,619 reviews