Thomson Reuters Reviews in Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN | Glassdoor

Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN Area

"Legal Managed Services"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good work life balance. Strong company branding and market penetration. Plenty of different product lines and positions to move around.

Cons

Unrealistic quota increases. Poor cross product/segment collaboration. The order writing and submitting process is terrible. Internal resources are difficult to use and navigate.

Advice to Management

Set reasonable goals with a slower growth model. Fix all the internal contract/order issues that bough down the sales process.

Apr 4, 2016 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

We thank you & congratulate you on your 5+ years of service. We are always looking at ways to make improvements and we thank you for your feedback.

"Corporate environment"

Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Business Technology Analyst in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very secure position - all people I work with here have at least 8 years of experience here. Many have been here over 30. They do support your growth, they're covering my expenses to go through Villanova's Lean Six Sigma certification course. Benefits and days off are great.

Cons

Creativity is stifled here, it's such a corporate culture. With recent budget cuts and incentives to show growth there has been a lot of recent M&A activity which has negatively affected the business. Fewer people are accountable for their work as they can blame the teams overseas. Lot of back biting and people in general seem to watch out for themselves competitively instead of being truly collaborative.

Advice to Management

Listen to the floor, lower and mid management more. There is a growing incentive for people to make numbers speak to what their superiors want to see, people are beginning to just go through the motions to keep seniors happy as if it's all business as usual. There are serious growing pains.

3. "Thomson Reuters - Westlaw"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Eagan, MN

Pros

Great Opportunity - Excellent management - Premier products - Fun collegues - good money if you work hard

Cons

Expensive product - Firms have been taken advantage of by reps in the past thus you deal with some very pissed off clients - changed comp plans frequently sometimes biannually - if you have a bad territory you could be out of a job in 3 months

Advice to Management

Team managers were great - Need to do more to keep your employees happy - it's a high stress gig and therefore more support and training is needed.

Apr 4, 2016 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for your review and valued contribution. We are always looking at ways to make improvements and we thank you for your feedback.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Excellent work-life balance
    >Work from home is allowed
    >Entry level positions are not expected to work over 40 hours a week
    >Flexible hours, given availability during core hours (10am-3pm)
    >Comp time for weekend work

-Above average benefits
    >19 days vacation/floating holiday for entry level. 24 days after 5 years. In addition, 8 Company holidays and 6 sick days.
    >3 tiers of health plan
    >Company matches 4% on 401k
    >6 weeks maternity leave
    >Charity matching gifts up to $1000
    >Ability to enroll in group legal, which gives you access to TR's lawyers for personal matters

-Large teams, so work can be distributed equally

-Good facilities
    >2 cafeterias, coffee shop, subway, bank, health center, fitness studio, game room, car repair, etc

-On the up & up
    >TR as a whole as made a profit for the first time in 8 years in 2015. The CEO is taking the company in the right direction.

Cons

-Middle management is oblivious to the work their teams are doing
    >Tech managers are almost always in meetings, some which they don't need to be in, which makes it difficult to interact with teams. Often use team leads as intermediaries rather than direct interaction. Managers and team leads have too many direct reports (my lead has 10, and manager has >30).

-Miles of red tape
    >A large company means dealing with many different teams for simple tasks. Teams can take days to weeks to respond which leads to a lot of wasted time

-Lots of people makes it difficult to chase down contacts
    >A team may have 5 members, with 1 of them knowing half a product and another 2 specializing in another half makes it hard and time consuming to get answers to questions

-Old technologies
    >Many apps are based on java, c#, and javascript. Very little use of new technologies (ruby, go, etc).

And most importantly, I feel my job is a 'dead end job'. I don't feel like I can move up with the amount of competition, and I definitely don't think I can even stand out to management, since they are never around to see work.

Advice to Management

-Team leads should never have more than 6 direct reports. Managers should be capped at ~20. Teams across the organization need to be able to freely communicate with each other, not just via service tickets and forms.

Mar 23, 2016 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for your review and valued contribution. As you may know, we have a 'Learning at Thomson Reuters' group on The Hub and encourage you to take a look at the resources offered under the ... More

"Wonderful Place To Work"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great commission structure. No micromanaging, very friendly laid back sales floor. Great culture and improving all the time. If you're looking for a sales job, this is a great place.

Cons

It can be a little hard to navigate through the bureaucracy to find opportunities. Connections are very important but with intention, it's possible.

Advice to Management

Have us spend our time effectively. Flexible hours are important to us all, so please don't crack down on our hours. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

Mar 25, 2016 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We're glad you have been enjoying your time at Thomson Reuters. We're proud to have been named among the top 25 companies striving to ... More

7. "Network Engineer support side - Thomson Reuters"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Depending on how you enter the company and on which teams you land, it has a varied network environment of so many different types of systems. If you enjoy a non-siloed environment in a massive enterprise network including a massive data center environment with dozens of data centers around the world, all using every service possible on what is 50% of the time cisco devices, then this is the place for you. There is always something to need to learn to support in this environment.

Cons

Pay for network engineers is easily 20% lower than market standards, raises are never near inflation rates even when highly rated in yearly reviews. Work life balance is promoted once a year in one of the weekly newsletters but it is not reflected out through the team leaders. For a few years attrition has been used as the paring tool to reduce employee costs, so advancement has been a rather difficult internal path.

Mar 31, 2016 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. All Thomson Reuters employees may apply for flexible work arrangements and we encourage you to have a discussion with your manager if you ... More

8. "Flexible schedule and great team to work with"

Former Contractor - Uxe in Eagan, MN
    Former Contractor - Uxe in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It is very pleasant experience to working on the contract with mindful manager and helpful team members.

Cons

40 minutes commute from my home location was a minor and I could work remotely as needed.

9. "Great Expectations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great exposure to large complicated environments, friendly professional colleagues, frequently presents new challenges and experiences, consistently improving processes, upgrading to current applications, and utilizing ITIL and data center best practices. Semi flexible work schedule and potential to work remotely.

Cons

Unfortunately it is actively restructuring to decrease budge requirements. Limited staffing and large projects required significant investment of time outside of a 40 hour work week. Global company looking to leverage reduced labor costs in India and Thailand vs US and UK.

Advice to Management

Please retain experienced, knowledgeable, dedicated, top talent in the US and UK. Many of us sacrificed significantly to help better the company like were family.

Mar 10, 2016 – Human Resource Partner

Thank you for your feedback and prior contribution.

10. "Good Company"

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Eagan, MN

Pros

I was working as a contractor with Thomson Reuters for close 3 years. I have zero issues, the manager and team were nice. Flexible timing. Over Time rate as well.

Cons

None that I cold think of.

Mar 4, 2016 – Human Resource Partner

Thank you for your review and prior contribution.

"Thomson Reuters"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly decent benefits and flexible work schedules

Cons

A shell of the company it used to be. The culture has changed significantly. The move is to outsource more and more. The Legal business (TR's bread and butter) is barely growing. Management does not seem to know, care, or appreciate the skills employees bring to the table. They are quick to hire (and spend lots of money) on outside consultants when they have talent in-house. Too many people who have been around a long time - just biding time because they have a pension. Motto is often, "This is the way we've done it for years."

Advice to Management

Empower and utilize the skills of your existing employees. You somehow seem to think that giving someone a title equates to them having superior intellect. There are many intelligent people who could contribute MUCH more if you truly valued their feedback. People don't feel free to speak up.

Mar 30, 2016 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for your contribution. We are always looking at ways to make improvements and we thank you for your feedback. We are also working on a Management Training program to help build management ... More

Showing 500 of 5,650 reviews