Thomson Reuters Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Cons

1. "Experience vs Education"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Eagan, MN
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent building and perks for employees

Cons

You can have awesome experience and meet requirements of positions posted, however, no degree -- no job.

Advice to Management

There are those people who couldn't afford to go to college, however they have years of experience to hit the ground running.

2. "Eagan, MN & Global"

Former Employee - Media Support Tech in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Media Support Tech in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is a great stepping stone, but don't stay to long!

Cons

I have not been with TR for 2 years now and love my new job! TR was holding me back on pay, family time and benefits are non-existent.

Advice to Management

You put your pants on one leg at a time too.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong name and presence around the world

Cons

A company which lost its way in the financial industry

Advice to Management

Make Thomson Reuters great again

5. "Sales Employees- watch out for huge money problems!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great building, great amenities.

Cons

I got a notice that I was overpaid over $2000 and they threatened to take me to collections if I couldn't pay it all back immediately. Then, I couldn't get a hold of anyone to talk to and it took over 7 calls and emails to finally talk to someone that could explain it to me. After that, they didn't give me any direction and just told me the consequences if I didn't pay. I set up my own repayment plan which they agreed to. After that, I mailed my payments in, to the address provided, which was the only method of payment they would take, and they kept losing my checks in the mail. After another 3 months of 3 lost checks in the mail, I finally had to send certified mail to the same address for them to receive it. Now, the payments have gone into a new calendar year because of their lack of organization, and it will effect 2 tax years. They will not give me any direction on how to help me with my taxes or how this could effect my taxes. They said if I wanted to get a wage adjustment I could, but I didn't have to. They have no guidance, they are rude and hard to understand, and I regret fully working there. No amount of money could take back the countless hours of stress and actual dollars this company has forced me to spend. On top of it all, current employees there have all made jokes how they never repay their debts in overpayment and I am the only person that has fell for their threats if I don't pay.

Advice to Management

Use plain language to tell your sales employees about how the commission structure works. Offer assistance and guidance when you expect thousands of dollars to be repaid.

"Senior Engineer"

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

Work from home availability before the mass outsourcing - reorg.

Cons

On call was THE WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing to "Whatever Country is the cheapest" and keep sensitive data within our boarders where it can be monitored.

"Run away.. place run by consultants and politicians!"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free cheap soda, Partial gym membership re-reimbursement

Cons

Politics - employees treated like bots - messed up unclear strategy - FX services leadership is immature. employees both senior and junior feel lost after the recent changes and layoffsand re-orgs - employees laid off in the name of complexity reduction but instead a bunch of consultants hired who basically run the place now!

Bad Benefits, worst health insurance, no health center at work

Advice to Management

Treat employees better by letting them have a sense of ownership instead of treating them like bots.

"Very unprofessional"

Pros

they have a cafeteria that is it. Huge UNCOVERED parking. Nice double monitor computers. Big space. Free coffee and tea.

Cons

This place is terrible. They are very unprofessional. While I was not an employee but an independent contractor that was hired for a document review project, I would NOT work as such a terrible place. I started the project and 2 days later the project was fully paused and we all had to leave. Three weeks later and the project is STILL paused. They sent one emails weekly almost always saying they would start again soon but nothing ever happened.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat people as human beings. Be cordial. If a project will be paused place us on another one. We need an income.

"Poisonous Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Large organisation, lots of infrastructure

Cons

Tons of politics and backbiting, conflicting cultures and dishonesty. Good if client facing, horrid if internal or support employee.

Advice to Management

Can't think of aanything that would be positive, so no.

"Entry-Level Sales"

Pros

They offer a great base salary, benefits and commission. Very well know company. The other employees are helpful, but the management is often MIA.

Cons

They have a lack of training for new employees. It is very learn as you go. Even if you are making your sales numbers they will let you go due to new the structuring they are going through. They say you are hired for one thing and you will be going with a certain training and change it. No work life balance. Long hours at the end of the month.

Advice to Management

Do not hire new employees if the company is letting thousands of people go. If the employee is making numbers don't fire them and work with them if you see they are struggling with other aspects.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexibility/ remote work/ friendly people and personal cubicle

Cons

Low salary, compared to market rate. Politics get you further than hard work. No matter how many years you put in the company, it's not good enough, you can be sent packing the next day if the management decides to outsource your project

Advice to Management

I don't know who hired you guys, but if you keep laying off hard working employees in batches of thousands to sell yourself short to cheap foreign labor, get ready to lose your clients and be prepared to see the decline in quality and get what you pay for. The company you outsourced can't even get a website design right, let alone anything else on your product. People who have been working hard for multiple years are just being sent packing without proper notice and that too during the holidays which is pretty upsetting and shameful.If you think laying off people with families is funny, good luck ,as what goes around comes around and you'll eventually lose your jobs soon. All these hardworking employees will join the competitors and work extra hard to make sure they offer the best product in the market there is. If you make decisions that affect people's families they come back with a force to reckon with. I would rather advice the board to get rid of management to see their company prosper, it's full of incompetent people who can't make a single decision.

Showing 347 of 5,650 reviews