Thomson Reuters Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

Cons

1. "Run Don't Walk to the Nearest Exit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Global company, pretty decent reputation in the marketplace. Benefits are good.

Cons

Incompetent management, they don't know how to manage their own people never mind themselves. Very little structure, a lot of unwritten policies and rules. Work/Life balance only applies to certain individuals. Many silos here, morale is low and most of the employees are introverts with little to no personality.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and start over - clean house it's a dirty one!

2. "I have a Job."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Creve Coeur, MO
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Creve Coeur, MO

I have been working at Thomson Reuters as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

I still have a Job.

Cons

More than 80% of the employees were born and raised in the St. Louis area who work at the Creve Coeur MO location and have never lived anywhere else but in the St. Louis area. If you have graduated from college, and have lived in other cities and states, you will more than likely not fit in. If a manager does not like you, they are skilled at making your work life miserable, and if someone at the site complains about you to your manager and they are best buddies with your manager, your manager and his friends will turn your work life into a cesspool to the point that you will resign and find another job with a company that appreciates you.
    The onsite Human Resource office is a joke and will do nothing if you file a complaint about a manager, but tell the manager which you might as well start wearing a helmet, because retaliation will be what you will receive until you quit. Retaliation runs rampant because HR does not follow-up on complaints filed and/or give you a status on the outcome or decision of a complaint filed.
    The managers and employees at the Creve Coeur, MO site know that there are no repercussions for any of their actions from the New York office and will openly state this without of course adding any special ingredients. The New York office has a running joke that if anyone willing transfers to the Creve Coeur MO location, your career will be over.
    What I have described above only occurrs to a select group of people.

Advice to Management

No point in giving advice to management when nothing will be done about it.

"Workers sacrificed for upper management"

Former Employee - Reference Attorney in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Reference Attorney in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Convenience if you live in area

Cons

The pay and working conditions are abysmal. At my interview, I was promised opportunities for advancement and benefits, none of which materialized. Management is encouraged to keep salaries low and not allow use of benefits. Turnover was very high and we were often required to work weekends and nights without ot pay. The company has been sued for flsa violations. The only people promoted in my department were male. Women who hadchildren didn't come back. It was a very hostile working environment. The pay is so low they have trouble hiring, so expect to be short staffed. Nevertheless, management is constantly cutting positions or reducing people to contractor status or replacing staff with h1bs.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better.

5. "Sr Marketer"

Former Contractor - Senior Marketer in Eagan, MN
    Former Contractor - Senior Marketer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Forward thinking company and great building.

Cons

You may possess the skills and experience for positions at TR, however, if you do not have a 4 year degree, they will not even consider you.

Advice to Management

Drop the MUST have 4 year degree. You are losing a lot of well qualified people with actual work experience.

6. "Politics everywhere. Stay away."

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is decent and so are benefits. You get to travel with the company to exciting destinations for conferences.

Cons

It's very political. Management has favorites and it's all about who likes you. I was a top performing rep but the managers didn't like me. Coworkers were openly rude to me, and management just laughed it off. Then when a coworker falsely blamed me for something I didn't do, the same manager reported it to HR and gave me a warning in spite of all the good work I did. I was constantly put down, ridiculed, and made to feel like I didn't belong. I was great at doing the work, but the culture was beyond toxic.

Advice to Management

Learn to manage. Values trickle from top down.

Thomson Reuters Response

Mar 9, 2017 – Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your contribution. We are always looking at ways to make improvements and we thank you for your feedback.

7. "Meh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of nice people and great friendships

Cons

Horrible comp plan, horrible overlapping of accounts. too many cooks in one kitchen.

Advice to Management

stop overlooking the fact that your inside sales team deserves the same treatment and respect as your field team.

"Almost everything promised was undelivered."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

I've never seen a pro so far.

Cons

I was interviewed for one department but offered a position in another for less money. Since then I have been told by my recruiters that they only want me in the department in which they passed me up in the first place. I have continuously been passed up for promotions while male members of my office with less experience have been given them. I was also told they refused to train a girl in our office because she was pregnant. Then they passed her up for a positions because she hadn't done any trainings that year. Which is illegal by federal law. This company is a joke. They claim to be a positive forward thinking workplace but they are actually a sexist cesspool. Avoid a job in the Ann Arbor office at all cost if you are a woman.

They lie, treat their employees like slaves. Mandatory overtime less than $50,000 salary and only straight time for overtime. They have breached federal workers mandate and who knows what else.

Advice to Management

Take federal law seriously. Don't just wait to see if people will sue you make it right immediately. Stop telling people you look internally when you ignore long time valuable employees and hire more sexist men from outside of the office.

9. "Eagan, MN & Global"

Former Employee - Media Support Tech in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Media Support Tech in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company is a great stepping stone, but don't stay to long!

Cons

I have not been with TR for 2 years now and love my new job! TR was holding me back on pay, family time and benefits are non-existent.

Advice to Management

You put your pants on one leg at a time too.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong name and presence around the world

Cons

A company which lost its way in the financial industry

Advice to Management

Make Thomson Reuters great again

11. "Sales Employees- watch out for huge money problems!"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great building, great amenities.

Cons

I got a notice that I was overpaid over $2000 and they threatened to take me to collections if I couldn't pay it all back immediately. Then, I couldn't get a hold of anyone to talk to and it took over 7 calls and emails to finally talk to someone that could explain it to me. After that, they didn't give me any direction and just told me the consequences if I didn't pay. I set up my own repayment plan which they agreed to. After that, I mailed my payments in, to the address provided, which was the only method of payment they would take, and they kept losing my checks in the mail. After another 3 months of 3 lost checks in the mail, I finally had to send certified mail to the same address for them to receive it. Now, the payments have gone into a new calendar year because of their lack of organization, and it will effect 2 tax years. They will not give me any direction on how to help me with my taxes or how this could effect my taxes. They said if I wanted to get a wage adjustment I could, but I didn't have to. They have no guidance, they are rude and hard to understand, and I regret fully working there. No amount of money could take back the countless hours of stress and actual dollars this company has forced me to spend. On top of it all, current employees there have all made jokes how they never repay their debts in overpayment and I am the only person that has fell for their threats if I don't pay.

Advice to Management

Use plain language to tell your sales employees about how the commission structure works. Offer assistance and guidance when you expect thousands of dollars to be repaid.

Showing 356 of 5,919 reviews