Thomson Reuters Reviews | Glassdoor

Thomson Reuters President & CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

1. "Business Analyst-Tax"

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

flex time, colleagues, interesting jobs

Cons

out sourcing, management turn over, bonuses instead of pay,

Mar 23, 2017 – Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for your contribution. We are always looking at ways to make improvements and we thank you for your feedback.

"Going Downhill Fast"

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Usually good coworkers
    Understanding of work/life balance to a point

Cons

No one knows what they are doing
    management is a joke, act like their hands are tied on really important problems
    Let completely inexperienced people drive entire factions of the company in to the ground
    Huge culture downshift that they spent a lot of money into "fixing" when in reality, they needed to spend that money to hire people to do the 5 jobs 1 person was expected to do/give people raises.

Advice to Management

Stop rewarding idiocracy--fire those who don't work out/aren't pulling their weight. It crushes people who are actually doing their job to be stuck with people who aren't.

Stop blaming culture problems on employees--it's 100% from the management/company and not on the "attitude" of your employees who are just trying to get by while they watch the company tank and all the good people leave.

Mandatory Fun is not fun and not a good way to build a better culture. Requiring people to "take a break" from their work that they still have to stay late to finish, is not a reward.

"Great Work Life Balance, Shoots Self In Foot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company offers very competitive benefits. Also offers reasonable hours, good work/life balance, flexible hours, working from home.

Cons

Company focuses on EBITDA and profit margin more than a sustainable business plan. Lack of single direction, lots of competing, poorly funded initiatives.

Advice to Management

Invest for growth.

Mar 16, 2017 – Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for your review and valued contribution. We're proud to have been named among the top 25 companies striving to promote a work-life balance as a part of company culture. We are always ... More

5. "A good place to learn ... and move on"

Former Employee - Senior Correspondent in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Correspondent in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Working with some of the most experienced and talented journalists in the world
    - Leveraging the Reuters brand, which still helps you get employed elsewhere

Cons

- To save money, management has been systematically replacing work done by U.S.-based journalists with that done by junior reporters trained and based out of Bangalore.
    - The management is also out to bust the Guild (union) by pushing out senior unionized journalists with 15 years or more experience
    - Once targeted for so-called "questionable performance", such journalists never have the recourse to turn around; the system is rigged to ensure they don't

Advice to Management

Learn to value your senior journalists -- their experience is what makes a news service like Reuters great. Using juniors out of Bangalore, of course, saves money. Good value-added reporting and news judgement, however, takes years to hone. If you ever want to take on Bloomberg -- and quit lying that you don't because I was there long enough to know -- treat your senior journalists like they are your greatest assets and compensate them enough to stay, rather than making them feel.welcome to leave.

Mar 2, 2017 – Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

6. "Constant Reorgnizations"

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

Large company with lots of differing global opportunities

Cons

The company has reorgs constantly. It's very hard to grow in your role or division because every few months because roles, responsibilities, and managements structures are constantly changing.

"Pockets of Good- Dave Thomson needs to look closer at Legal"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Privilege to work with professional customer and focus on needs and value
    Good amount of resources and tools to accomplish goals
    Lots of areas to grow move within the company

Cons

To many people coasting or hiding behind outdated KPI's and getting in the way of progress - especially lower management
    Slow to adopt and implement better management practices
    HR seems to have little interest in resolving issues or helping the business, more concerned with managing problems and looking at short term goals
    Too much ego in marketing and among directors - many were promoted through knowing the right person not for excelling at skills - especially statistics is lacking

Advice to Management

Get a better idea of individual contributor's activity and why those people are succeeding and challenges they are facing - find the real value going on at the contributor level and prioritize that not low -level activity. Find this out directly not through lower management.

8. "Disorganized and Tedious"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Thomson Reuters as an intern

Pros

Many resources, good pay, fair hours

Cons

Divisions were compartmentalized and office politics were stifling. No one knew the duties of anyone else, and everyone seemed focused solely on their task without looking at the bigger picture.

Advice to Management

Invest in a better office culture and more transparency to improve morale

"Not worth it"

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

Hope you love legacy management techniques & no possible upward mobility

Cons

Silo'd business units
    No marketing automation/optimization
    Constant restructuring

Office space cultural vibe
    "Open office" = 'Congrats, you all have mini cubes now'

What product management?

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Director in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful work environment. Your fellow colleagues mentor and support you.

Cons

Too much churn and lack of direction. The company use to care about their employees and service dedication was recognized. Employees dont feel as valued and are no longer the companies greatest asset.

Advice to Management

Experience does matter

11. "Tax software implementations"

Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Implementation Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home when possible. Flexible hours when not traveling or on phone calls.

Cons

+At year end management let too many experienced employees go to increase the bottom line so the workload has increased for all tax implementation employees!
    +Pay is 20 percent lower than comparable market jobs.
    +Pay raises are historically always less than 3.5 percent no matter what unless you are promoted which is rare as not much career development or room to move up beyond Senior Manager position.
    +New quarterly bonus plan not fare as based on billable utilization as if we all contractors and not individuals with different skill sets. Expertise or management abilities not taken into account.
    +Company depends too much on the few billable groups to increase revenue which increases pressure on employees to remain steadily billable even when our clients are not available due to their own companies quarterly and year end obligations. We do have clients with blackout periods and are a seasonal type industry which management does not take into account or possibly understand hence a problem with this type of bonus plan. Not always possible to stay billable/utilized.
    +Company doesn't seem to care about employee morale and it is at an all time low for the past 15 years.
    +Sales people dictate too much (time frames) and make promises to clients that are not always realistic without coordinating and/or communicating to people doing the actual work. This leads to uncomfortable conversations with clients once the actual work starts.
    +There is no true method of assigning new work as work is assigned as soon as it comes in the door no matter when the work will start which can lead to employees being given to many assignments at once. We do lack capable resources in certain circumstances especially with the year and layoffs as we lost quite a few experienced people which will eventually lead to overwork and burn out so I wouldn't be surprised if we see more turnover as time goes by.

Advice to Management

Understand we are a cyclical business. We work hand in hand with tax and accounting departements which we need to work closely with to get most of our work completed in certain products. When the clients are blackout dates and are not available to assist us or have calls with sometimes the work standstill until they are available so it is difficult to maintain steady utilization at certain times of the year. Try to improve employee morale by finding out what employees do not agree with or are upset about and address it before we lose more valuable people which increases the workload for everyone and harms morale.

Showing 750 of 5,777 reviews