Thomson Reuters Systems Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 9 Sep 2019

3.9
Thomson Reuters CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith

"Work at TR - Real Reasons to Appreciate"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Respect to employees Salary Communication Transparency Benefits Appreciation and managers support

Cons

Huge amount of changes, employees nervous with risks of dismissal Non real opportunities to non-US citizens

Thomson Reuters2018-10-01

October 16, 2018Recruitment Marketing Intern

Thank you for your feedback - we are constantly working towards making improvements and we encourage you to take a look at the global efforts that are taking place around the organization, by reading the company global strategy on The Hub.

"Company in decline"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large campus with amenities. Generous vacation policy. Large company with plenty of projects to work on. Culture and values are a priority.

Cons

Thomson Reuters has been slowly declining for many years. Salaries do not keep up with the market. Every fall there are large rounds of layoffs and outsourcing. Everything is about "cutting costs". Morale and quality are low.

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to make money besides: "cutting costs", outsourcing or layoffs.

Thomson Reuters2018-11-05

November 8, 2018Recruitment Marketing Intern

Thank you for your feedback - we are always looking at ways to make improvements & candid feedback is the best way for us to understand the areas where we need to focus.

3. "System Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

12 hour shift working day and working 4 days and off 4 days which will have longer personal life days for relax

Cons

Sometimes I have to work on Holiday and Weekend.

Advice to Management

Not re-org too aften

Thomson Reuters2018-01-16
  4. "Lots of Re-Orgs"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, PTO, Sick Pay, Medical, Dental, 401k match. Opportunity to move laterally within company always helps with burnout.

Cons

A lot of reorganization of groups. Management can't keep up with the constant change of priority. Lots of jobs are moved to India.

Advice to Management

Dont reorganize groups that have been together less than a year. You are losing great employees because of a lack of direction.

Thomson Reuters2017-11-09

"Senior Systems Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Rochester, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good people. Usually a bonus every year. Great software opportunity if you are in the right group.

Cons

Management changes frequently. You can get "locked" into a position supporting legacy systems.

Advice to Management

Focus more on good products and not shareholders.

Thomson Reuters2017-02-28

March 2, 2017Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We thank you & congratulate you on your 10+ years of service. We agree that when you work at Thomson Reuters, you’re partnering with the industry’s brightest thinkers. We are always looking at ways to make improvements and we thank you for your feedback.

"Systems Engineer"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Thomson Reuters is a huge company, with a global footprint. Many opportunities for education, advancement, job training, and continuing education.

Cons

I was with TR for over a decade. The cons are only related to working in IT for their Legal division. I left TR 3 years ago. I got out before the first wave of IT outsourcing layoffs hit my department. I cannot say anything bad about the company as a whole, but what I can say is that working in Legal (formerly West Publishing, St. Paul/Eagan, MN) was an interesting experience. The company was completely... different to work for before West Publishing was bought by Thomson, then later Thomson purchased Reuters until we have the conglomerate we see today. Since the merger I saw the company going downhill…wages for employees were less than market average, benefits went downhill, the tuition reimbursement program was cut in half, then cut all together, hiring freezes, promotion freezes, and the discontinuing of the pension program for newly hired employees. TR also divested a large share of their money making divisions…Thomson Learning and Thomson Health. I fear Thomson Legal will be divested soon as well because all of the signs of a failing division are present (see previous notes). Their legal division has been hurt by the failing print business. People do not read books anymore, they want information online. Their Westlaw product, while strong, could not keep up with the revenue enjoyed by their print business for decades. As the internet expanded, print subscriptions lessened. From an employee perspective, working at the Eagan, MN (former headquarters of the West Publishing business) location was typical to what you see in many Minnesota based companies…clickiness, ole boy club, subtle racism, and a definite glass ceiling for minority employees. Combine this with the poor financial outlook for this division and I would look elsewhere if you want a career…or even a job that is secure. Working in Eagan, MN was also the most toxic environment I have ever worked in. People were clicky, bigoted, back-stabby, untrustworthy, working in fear under authoritarian leadership models, non-supportive feckless HR, and you are getting paid less than other jobs in the same market. It is a no brainer…meaning work here if you have no brain.

Advice to Management

None

Thomson Reuters2017-02-28
  7. "Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is no work pressure and will enjoy our work at Thomson Reuters.

Cons

There is no exposure to learn new things and could not implement all our new things.

Thomson Reuters2016-11-15

November 16, 2016Recruiting Communications and Marketing Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We encourage all of our employees to take advantage of our Learning and Development resources which are self-directed, where you can build your skills, learn about the business and ways to develop your career. We are also working on a Management Training program to help build management skills.

8. "excellent corporate responsibilty & professional development"

Senior Platform Infrastructure & Systems Engineer in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters for less than a year

Pros

social responsibility diversity professional /career development management communication

Cons

Intense focus on bottom line and decisions often based exclusively on revenue and expense. understandable but corporate politics can be harsh.

Thomson Reuters2016-04-21

April 28, 2016Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback.

9. "Senior System Engineer"

Senior Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters for more than 3 years

Pros

No Work Pressure Work / Life Balance

Cons

No Recognition for hard workers Slowly started the cost cutting

Thomson Reuters2016-03-22

March 24, 2016Analyst, Recruitment Brand and Channels

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We're glad you have been with us for more than 3 years - We're proud to have been named among the top 25 companies striving to promote a work-life balance as a part of company culture. We are currently working on an enterprise recognition program to honor our employees - you can read more about this on The Hub.

"Datacenter Ops"

Current Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Hastings, MN

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/Life balance is decent, benefits are OK at best.

Cons

Lack of direction, iterative instead of innovative, very process constrained, re-orgs and name changes are the norm but always remain status quo.

Advice to Management

Replace the old guard that is preventing change for the better and driving away talent.

Thomson Reuters2016-01-22