Thomson Reuters "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

Thomson Reuters Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Oct 19, 2019

3.7
Thomson Reuters CEO James C. Smith
James C. Smith
2,745 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"In transition, don't have a plan"

Former Employee - Creative Manager in Eagan, MN

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. Family leave. Decent pay.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch.

Advice to Management

Listen more.

Thomson Reuters2019-09-05

"Satisfaction Roller Coaster"

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work Life Balance Praised when boss likes you

Cons

Work life Balance is flaunted as a perk but isn’t exactly given. Upper management has lack of humanity for employees If promoted on the same team, old managers have a hard time letting go of control and new manager allows too much delegation by old manager causing confusion.

Advice to Management

“Trust is at the heart of what we do” start with putting some of that trust into your employees. Micromanaging adults creates a hostile work environment. Take some culture and sensitivity training and learn how to be mindful of others cultures.

Thomson Reuters2019-06-28
  3. "Great place to work"

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

Great people, great work life balance

Cons

There is no turnover in upper management

Thomson Reuters2019-05-17

May 31, 2019Global Employer Branding Lead

Thank you for your contribution and for taking the time to leave a review! We're proud to have been named among the top 25 companies striving to promote a work-life balance as a part of our company culture.

"Annual Structural Changes and Layoffs, Future of Company is Uncertain"

Former Employee - Communications Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Good work/life balance -Opportunity to work from home -Good benefits -Nice, capable colleagues -Competitive salary

Cons

-Limited growth opportunities, especially in certain office locations. -Lots of bureaucracy, unnecessary teleconferences detract from productivity. -Often difficult to figure out who to contact with specific questions or concerns. -Upper management is inaccessible. -Annual organizational changes and layoffs. Often the annual changes will undo the previous year’s changes. -Many tenured, senior executives have... left the company recently. The future direction of the company is unclear.

Thomson Reuters2019-04-10

April 22, 2019Recruitment Marketing Intern

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We thank you & congratulate you on your 5+ years of service.

"Heading towards oblivion"

Current Employee - Cog In the Machine in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Co-workers are great. Work itself isn't bad.

Cons

Bureaucracy is an issue. Some senior managers are nightmares. Too much politics and favoritism, which lead to very low-morale. Pay is below market standards. Top performers do most of the work, while the inept/lazy/manipulators continue to slide and hardly do any work because they ride the coattail of their superiors who protect them. Silos (I did not know this word until I started working here). Company recently... and still is going restructuring/reorganization: I was excited about this, and perhaps the toxic culture, because of incompetence, blind, and power-hungry supervisors, will be eliminated. However, those who know how to play politics and attach themselves to power and grovel to the power-hungry remain and continue to make decisions to further their personal and political interests instead of benefiting the company or their customers, the latter part being the company's focus -- customer-centric but is not being met. Company keeps moving to automate and outsource jobs and positions to the point that the remaining people are themselves "automated", that is they just plod through work like a zombie or a robot. Also gerrymandering -- the abuse of power and authority manipulating boundaries. Management needs to stop being firefighters (a crisis/"fire" they, unbeknownst to them, themselves are creating because of their recalcitrant mindset) and move into more of agile and proactive mindset. Upper management touts customer experience and employee engagement. Every action they take is not focused on either, all just talk. Mismanagement at all levels especially at manager supervisor level. Those in charge want to make their poor decisions the fault of remaining employees of not working hard enough and saying yes often. Culture also is where any dissent is discouraged. And they are trying to create a culture of being young -- mostly young are hired and retained while the seniors with experience and are industry experts are let go (unless, again, you're one of these incompetent seniors who have just been gliding through the work hardly doing any work except kissing their superior's be-hind).

Advice to Management

What' s the point? They ain't gonna listen anyway.

Thomson Reuters2019-04-07

April 22, 2019Recruitment Marketing Intern

Thank you for your review and valued contribution. We agree that when you work at Thomson Reuters, you’re partnering with the industry’s brightest thinkers. We are always looking at ways to make improvements and we thank you for your feedback.

"Used to be a great place to work."

Former Employee - Lead in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Had a lot of opportunity and variation to job and job duties. A lot of caring and hard working people.

Cons

Upper management touts customer experience and employee engagement. Every action they take is not focused on either. Its all about short term stock price and not about the customer or employees.

Thomson Reuters2019-03-14

March 20, 2019Recruitment Marketing Intern

Thank you for your feedback - we are always looking at ways to make improvements & candid feedback is the best way for us to understand the areas where we need to focus.

7. "Great money, poor structure and organization"

Current Employee - Server in Concord, NC

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Money opportunities Sundays off No late nights or early mornings

Cons

Demeaning leadership Poor upper management No structure or training

Thomson Reuters2019-01-20

January 28, 2019Recruitment Marketing Intern

Thank you for your contribution. We are always looking at ways to make improvements and we thank you for your feedback.

"Sinking Ship"

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

*Good benefits *Great people to work with *Ability to work remotely *Work-life balance is ok

Cons

*Well below market pay *Constant reorgs and layoffs *Upper management is out of touch with reality about how much work is required at the lower level, and is unwilling to provide the necessary resources/personnel needed

Advice to Management

Laying employees off is only a temporary fix for shareholders and is not a long-term solution. You have to realize the getting rid of programmers and developers hurts the product. This in turn angers clients who go looking elsewhere for products that will fit their needs. While you say that we will be shifting from a product based approach to a customer based approach, you have to realize that a vast majority of our... clients are product based clients. Not to mention that these clients would actually like it if our product worked with consistency. It will not function well if you keep getting rid of the necessary resources needed.

Thomson Reuters2018-12-08

December 11, 2018Recruitment Marketing Intern

9. "Good Benifits"

Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomson Reuters for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits competitive pay and good management.

Cons

Product needs major overall. Upper management does relay a consistent message

Advice to Management

Improve product

Thomson Reuters2018-11-29

November 29, 2018Recruitment Marketing Intern

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We thank you & congratulate you on your 3+ years of service.

"Good benefits"

I have been working at Thomson Reuters full-time

Pros

TR has good benefits especially parental leave and vacation time.

Cons

Frequent reorgs with lack of helpful communication from upper management.

Thomson Reuters2018-11-24