Thomsons Online Benefits Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomsons Online Benefits CEO Michael Whitfield
Michael Whitfield

Pros
  • Great people good salary good work ethic i like working there overall i had amazing experience (in 9 reviews)

• Great company with a great culture (in 4 reviews)

Cons

"An absolutely brilliant opportunity for growth within a leading global tech company!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture at Thomsons is extremely important and they really care about making each employee understand the value they bring to the business. They do a great job of rewarding self-starters who show that they want to get stuck-in and smash their targets. I wouldn't say the culture is"work hard, play hard", but everyone is passionate about being successful and likes to have a good time. All of my colleagues have a great sense of humor and we all like to have fun when we get together. The co-founders are not only highly-accessibleto new-joiners, but they are always helpful and are both inspiring individuals to learn from. Management has always been very supportive and willing to negotiate so that you are happy and have everything you need to succeed.

I love that we have a start-up feel here in the States, even though we have a bigger machine that supports us out of our London headquarters. We already work with some of the world's most exciting companies, but I love how much opportunity for growth we have considering the fact that we are pioneering this market here in the States. It really is a fantastic solution that we offer and I am genuinely excited about the future of our US team, in addition to the business as a whole. I truly believe this is an excellent time to join Thomsons here in the States.

Cons

Although they offer top of the line medical and dental, the benefits offered to US employees might not be as comprehensive as some other tech companies. However, I am sure this is temporary as the US team is quite new.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in training programs for your employees, as they can dramatically improve the level of performance and overall success of the business.

"ThomExit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Thomsons Online Benefits (Less than a year)

Pros

Suitable product for the UK, but not feasible for other markets... Absolute need for global benefits platforms, but one platform is where the world is going and not partnering..

Cons

Poor leadership, lack of direction, shifting directions, lack of transparency, lack of respect from the top down.... Poor treatment of employees who are victims of shifting directions. If you don't party then don't work there....

Advice to Management

Treat people with dignity and respect would be a great start....

Thomsons Online Benefits Response

Aug 16, 2016 – Talent & Engagement Partner

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to create a unique culture globally which we're immensely proud of. We appreciate the time you’ve taken to write this comment as we are always looking to ... More

"Director - Sales"

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company with a great culture! Recently started working at Thomsons and I love the software and the people. Everyone has been willing to help me be successful. Would highly recommend!

Cons

Growing company so we are learning new things very fast. Some people may not like the work hard play hard attitude but those who are self starters will be successful!

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging the people - the attitude shines through with the people. Glad I am a part of the team! Think PINK!

"Great Career Opportunity, Greater Potential!"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Truly disruptive product
    - Unlimited Enterprise and Industry Potential
    - Prospects love the product - super intuitive, simple to use, ahead of the market.
    - Very Competitive Salary and Commission Structure.
    - Excellent executives and management.
    - Real long term potential- If you do well here you are REWARDED!
    - Because the company is growing so fast, if you perform you can get promoted much faster than any other start up out there
    -The company is very fair and open to discussing almost anything employees want addressed.

Cons

-There are growing pains with setting up U.S. office however we are backed by large machine in the U.K.
    -The team is small and you need to mesh well in order to fit in.
    -Expected to deliver

Advice to Management

-Continue to be accessible and responsive to staff.
    -Continue investing in Employees.
    -Training can be more streamlined and efficient.
    -You are on the right road to building a truly special team in the U.S.!

6. "Exciting, fast paced company, strong culture, truly dedicated to best of breed global benefit management software."

Current Employee - Director of Enterprise Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Enterprise Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong, involved management support, even from the founders; great training on software; cool culture of work hard, play hard; modern marketing plan with strong use of social media; true global company with disruptive software that makes a difference. Huge upside on career opportunities as we grow the business.

Cons

You have to be self driven and want to succeed. There will be high expectations and people who do not want to be the best they can be will have challenges. This is not a company where you want to be just average. Some may not like this type of culture, but I say this is a positive. Successful people are self starters and motivated before they join and know when and where to ask for help. Many people work remote which can be challenge for some. You have to be very patient during the interview process as Thomsons is selective with who they bring on.

Advice to Management

As with any fast growing technology company, especially one that is global with offices all around the world, continue to focus on how the US employees can be better engaged with management, strategic direction, and their own personal benefits. Continue to invest in the valuable employees. Also, continue to strive for bleeding edge technology (UI, Analytics, Business Intelligence...) Continue with access to founders and senior management...Not many companies in the world can say your CEO and Managing Director are actively involved with the highest profile accounts in the world.

"Such an utter waste of time"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone will tell you what you want to hear and sound like they mean it. Close to CalTrain

Cons

It's in Burlingame, CA.
    You will be promised things in the interview that will not be true.
    You will be "oversold" the position (their words - not mine) so if it's too good to be true-- it's probably not true.
    The break room is pitiful.
    The on-boarding process was relentless and they made me feel bad about expecting things to be set up before I started.
    They have a "that's just the way it is" kind of attitude.
    They are a benefits company that won't even invest in a 401k option for the U.S. team or even other mainstream benefit packages (gym, lunches, etc).
    The office has barely any sunlight.
    Getting reimbursed for expenses (flights, phone, phone bill) takes way too long.
    It took them more than 3 weeks to get my insurance set up.
    The main office is in London (which you may never even get to see like they promise you) and it is difficult to communicate with anyone there about important matters.
    It took them more than 3 weeks to get me a proper power cord for my laptop.
    You HAVE to use a Dell Laptop.
    They won't invest in you until you fully invest in them.
    They treat you as though you should be lucky to work for them instead of them being lucky to have you working there.

Advice to Management

Learn to onboard. Learn to train. Learn to manage. Under promise. Over deliver. Do not have a person inexperienced in management running a team. Challenge the status quo. Don't be afraid to embrace criticism and act on it. Work on improving processes instead of just letting them stay as they are.

Thomsons Online Benefits Response

Apr 7, 2015 – Recruitment Partner

We are sorry to hear that your brief time with Thomsons didn’t live up to your expectations. Our US office is very much a start-up and the look, feel and environment of the office reflect that. Our ... More

"Great company to be a part of!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- high growth fast paced environment with room for growth
    - flexible work environment and no micro management - but management is always available when needed
    - access to CEO and MD - they know and interact with every employee and what's going on in their lives
    - revolutionary technology - a concept that is newer to the market and is expected to boom in the coming years
    - endless opportunity for personal and professional growth
    - and yes, Work Hard, Play Hard which makes it fun!

Cons

Occasionally it can be hard working remotely or on the road, but they do a good job of keeping everyone engaged and productive!

"Great company to work for in the US!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is great
    Senior Management is very approachable and happy to give guidance or advice
    One of the best corporate cultures I've experienced- fun and caring
    Creative and professional freedom

Cons

Company opened the US office just a year ago, so is still in the process of figuring things out, though the business listens to the feedback which is good.

10. "Fun & Innovative place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Thomsons is a great place to work and I really enjoyed my time there. You need to work hard to get by here, but if you are prepared to work hard I would recommend it. Thomsons are not stuck in their ways and your input could make a difference. I would recommend getting a job here.

Cons

For some roles Thomsons paid low salaries which meant experience in some departments was limited. Thomsons was good fun, but sometimes the line is too blurred between work/social.

Advice to Management

Provide updates to employees when feedback on the company has been sought. We often had to write our feelings down on post-it notes in group sessions then never heard back from them again.

11. "Great environment, awesome benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I have been working at Thomsons Online Benefits full-time

Pros

Great benefits package, awesome offices, travelling to UK offices, training programs

Cons

Poor salary and bonus, management does not appear too interested in doing more for employees in this respect.

Advice to Management

Figure out a better approach when it comes to employee satisfaction / retention. and stop relying on the benefits package so much.