Thornton Tomasetti Reviews | Glassdoor

Thornton Tomasetti Chairman & CEO Tom Z. Scarangello
Tom Z. Scarangello

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Used to not care about work/life balance but that seems to be improving now (in 15 reviews)

• Very long hours, with a lot of responsibilities (in 15 reviews)

"Very dissatisfied"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Company name on resume, good benefits, access to technical knowledge based on experience

Cons

Poor salary, too much nepotism and unfair criteria for individual growth in the company

Advice to Management

Go back to how this company worked and performed in the good old days

2. "Engineer"

Pros

Anyway it's big company to start your career.

Cons

They use Engineers to do management, which is terrible.

"Marketing - run away"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Thornton Tomasetti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company, long-standing history of fantastic work, other departments are very supportive - good to work with. cool location

Cons

Marketing is a disaster, terrible leadership in the local office
    Turnover is incredibly high in marketing - averaging 1 coordinator a year because it is so awful here. There is no champion for coordinators; it feels as if Marketing Management purposely keeps the glass ceiling low, it's really unfortunate. not flexible on hours, tough work/life balance. burnout factor is really high. the workspace is odd too, marketing is in a small alcove, almost like an after thought.

Advice to Management

just because someone has been there for a long time, doesn't mean that a change would be a bad thing. turnover is a high in this department for a reason - there is great talent that leave/running away from here.

4. "Classic "Too many Chiefs, not enough Indians""

I worked at Thornton Tomasetti full-time

Pros

Without a doubt, very notable projects. Respectable history

Cons

Here again....too many Chiefs....extremely top heavy....but no avenues or opportunity if your not an engineer...period. A real "good ol boys " structure.
    Too many long hour runs, over nighters due to being understaffed on "production" end.
    Due to being a private company, the end of year "bonus" is only good at the "Chiefs level" and/or office director level...certainly wasn't good during my stretch...more of an insult than a bonus. When an employee "lives it and breaths it" and "does what it takes" management should show it.
    Arrogance of management....absolutely no reason for it...can't feel like a team when an employee is criticized in front of others or all employees are being told to "be like me" or "be like ...." No kidding.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook those who "are" the company....the junior engineer staff, the production staff, the office support staff......everyone, not just the "yes men".
    Again, control the arrogance...leading by example doesn't need words attached..it is noticed and emulated easy.
    Re-evaluate careers ladders for all....not just engineers. Believe it or not these non-engineer types enjoy and are proud of their careers and should be rewarded accordingly.

"Woot woot"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Cool projects - when I worked there we had some of the more interesting structural engineering projects to work on.

Cons

The people "running" the place (which is about 45% of the company) are unbelievably inept. It is clear that they hate engineering and love to pretend they are something else...business people I guess. But they're awful at that.

Advice to Management

I offer no advice, I believe you are all very happy with yourselves and that's good for you. Congrats on that.

"Low pay, high expectations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

TT was a fun place to work because they have interesting, complex projects. My experience with the structure group left me with the feeling that I was working with very smart engineers.

Cons

In my position I did not receive very much in the way of guidance or evaluation. I was expected to be as knowledgeable as an engineer that had been working there for a year. I was not given clear instruction for simple tasks and often was left out of 'big picture' discussion of a project. I did not receive an evaluation from my supervisor when I was let go.

Advice to Management

I would have felt a lot more comfortable if the staff had been friendly to me. There is not much in the way of camaraderie, as every employee seemed preoccupied with their tasks. Managers would literally talk over my head to my cube mates as I sat and worked, neglecting to acknowledge my existence.

"Enjoyed the technical work and clients, but management and company outlook is bleak."

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Because of its name and prestige, TT draws interesting clients and projects, giving you the opportunity to experience and learn a great deal even as an entry level engineer. Opportunities for inter-office transfer are available, and the company is generally flexible with respect to hours and vacations.

Cons

Considering the required skill level (MS degree, professional certifications, etc.), the long hours, and the amount of stress, the salary and benefits are dismal.

Lack of solid leadership skills and collaboration coming from upper management. An incredibly top-heavy company. At the current rate of promotions and lack of hiring, everyone will become a vice-president and no one will be doing any "actual" work. A/E Industry outlook is grim; I wouldn't be surprised to see TT downsizing even more so over the next several years.

Advice to Management

Smarter and leaner upper management is required. Increased focus on improving technical staff benefits and rewards. Consider the possibility that your business model from 25 years ago will no longer be sustainable in the current market.

"Demanding work with very low pay"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Thornton Tomasetti full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work is good, challenging and has a learning environment.

Cons

Pays low salaries to its employees, which ultimately leads to less job satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Can reduce attrition by more job satisfaction by paying competitive salaries as other companies.

9. "Chicago Facade Group Poorly Managed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Thornton Tomasetti full-time

Pros

Many of the projects are high visibility for well known clients; good names and projects to have under your belt.

Cons

Management does not manage the staff, projects or clients well. Staff is left wondering what they are supposed to be doing then to have last minute deadlines with uncertain direction. Working in this group is like working in a small shop with little hope for exposure to the wider firm or for growth.

Advice to Management

Get managers with professional project and people management skills. Discourage the silo mentality and encourage more collaboration. Look around at what other top-rated companies are doing to retain talented people.

10. "Good old boys club, as long as you are a member you can do no wrong and The money flows."

I have been working at Thornton Tomasetti full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good employees, hardworking, well educated, and dedicated to their work.

Cons

Lot of talk about how great the company is but doesn't translate to the typically employee. Across the country people are unhappy.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff.