Thorntons (Kentucky) Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 1, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Matt Thornton

Pros
  • If you like a fast paced work environment, with no breaks and little management organization, this job is for you (in 4 reviews)

• Great team members in most locations and departments (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent your job is your life 70 (in 7 reviews)

• never out on time, the area, high turn over, short staffed, multiple duties with low pay (in 5 reviews)

"Family of bad promises?"

Current Employee - GSR in Galesburg, IL
    Current Employee - GSR in Galesburg, IL

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You become a family- everyone is always there for each other. There's a way to get a bonus, but it's not just based on you. It's based on everyone.

Cons

Promise after promise, never fulfilled by management. Demotions due to continuing education. Feels like I'm not worth their time. I don't like that one person lost everyone's bonus, because that wasn't MY fault she didn't do her job

Advice to Management

Don't tell someone you'll make them a shift lead for a year and a half and give it to two other people instead.

2. "CSR"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give you a meal while on shift.

Cons

Upper Management tells lies. They say they will prompt you and trick you into thinking you will actually move up in the company but you never do. They say we hire within but always hire new managers. I work at a busy store maybe the busiest of them all and they want me to train their new managers yet they don't want me to be a manager cause of the money I asked for. Corporate comes in with about six to seven people, most of them don't even say hi to you and just walk around the store as they as better than the people working at the store as far as the guests in the store say that about them.

Advice to Management

keep your word. Don't think you're better than team members that work and run the store that makes you look good in front of your management

"Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Nashville, TN

I worked at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food and drinks during your shift.

Cons

Low pay, I worked 3rd shift and the sift differential was ridiculous, I mean the employees that work that shift are putting their safety on the line you would think that would be worth more than 8.25 per hour.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more! I'm pretty sure you couldn't live off of 8.25 per hour so what makes you think the employees who work at your stores can?

"All about the $$"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team members in most locations and departments.

Cons

Short-sighted leadership, poor planning and execution - too many egos.

Advice to Management

value your employees and stop gouging the customers at the pump.

6. "clean but not very friendly"

Former Employee - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Thorntons (Kentucky) (Less than a year)

Pros

clean and up on everything

Cons

some of the other employees were rude to the customers

"This is what you signed up for"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Thorntons (Kentucky) (Less than a year)

Pros

Great starting pay for management
    Good benefits that starts fairly quickly for managers
    Communication is decent as far as allowing store level management and employees to know what's coming next
    This wasn't necessarily a bad company to work for. There are problems that I will cover in the cons section. Mainly though, this job just wasn't for me at this point in my life.

Cons

Work-life-balance is uneven. You're expected to be on call 24/7 meaning that if third shift calls in, you will be expected to drop what you're doing and come to work. Even if that means working all night on zero sleep. On top of that, if you're scheduled to work second shift after getting off in the morning, you will still be expected to make your shift later that day. Complaining will only elicit a response of "this is what you signed up for."
    The stores are not built to protect the employees. There are no metal bars or plexiglass windows at the cash registers. Some of the buildings do not even have doors that lock between the floor and the register area. The employees are basically sitting ducks if a robbery occurs, but then again, "this is what you signed up for."
    Corporate managers do not listen to the employees and store level management. Corporate management gives basic, by-the-books answers that lack real thought and rarely solve problems. Also, if you're ever unfortunate enough to get robbed, don't expect sympathy. What you can expect is to be reminded that "this is what you signed up for."

Advice to Management

The biggest thing would be to build safer buildings. It's appalling that corporate knows that the employees are scared and won't address the situation. Even the customers make comments about how unsafe the register area is. This is something that could be fixed quickly. Quite frankly, cigarettes and soda aren't worth the psychological trauma of dealing with a robbery.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like a fast paced work environment, with no breaks and little management organization, this job is for you.

Cons

Very low pay, little to no breaks. Incompateant upper level managers

Advice to Management

Treat your front line...your foot soldiers better. Come up with positive solutions to help grow your business units-stores. Reward the hard working committed people.

9. "Great Company"

Pros

Great company to work for, I would recommend this company to anyone that is looking for a start to a long career.

Cons

I do not have any cons of this company. Overall the leadership and team members work hard to service our guest.

Advice to Management

Continue to be great leaders for your team members. Thank you for all your hard work day in and day out.

"Fuel Survey Driver"

Current Employee - Fuel Survey Driver in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Fuel Survey Driver in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is simple work. As long as the route gets done on time, the work is super flexible. Cell phone reimbursement. Free meal while working, and free fountain drinks too. Thorntons is a great company to work for, and their corporate values keep the employees at heart.

Cons

Lack of communication can be frustrating at times. It seems like the corporate office knows what is going on, but a lot of the information gets lost in the trickle down to the lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Work on communication to all team members. Don't depend on store and team managers to pass along company news and events.

"Great Company Culture"

Former Employee - Benefits Administrator in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Benefits Administrator in Louisville, KY

I worked at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful people to work for. Top of the line business and well respected in their community. Lots of extra perks working there and the corporate office is nice.

Cons

They will expect you to work hard and put in some hours. The pay is average but plenty opportunities to advance

Advice to Management

Be patient with new managers and assistant managers