Thorntons (Kentucky) Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Matt Thornton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people awesome at taking care of team" (in 6 reviews)

• "chances for extra hours, free drinks during your shift, discounts on certain items" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard work, long hours, early mornings" (in 5 reviews)

• "i work hard but feel very appreciated by my team and those at the corporate office" (in 4 reviews)

"Graphic Designer"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Louisville, KY

I worked at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great company! I feel they had to make the decision to layoff employees because they are interested in putting the company on the market. That is a theory.

Cons

No real issues as a company. Great people to work with and they had great company ethics. No cons really. No regrets working for them.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You have a great product and maintain the quality of your product. Do not sacrifice the level of quality you have established for simple monetary gains.

2. "Great family and employee owned company"

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It is a family atmosphere and lots of perks like free drinks and meals while on the clock and vacation days as well as good insurance.

Cons

Very fast paced so if you are not fast and can not multitask don't bother applying.

3. "Interesting Environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time

Pros

Corporate's vision is one to admire. They have rigorous standards with great attention to detail. The benefits for full-time employees are great!

Cons

The work environment within the gas stations are different. Many of the employees lead the "party" lifestyle and have the downfalls associated with such living. The most glaring downfall are the corporate expectations and many rules that do not make sense. For example, a fringe benefit of working there is you get a shift meal. This is great as there is a great breakfast and lunch selection. However, those options are only available, with the exceptions of hotdogs and tornados, during first shift. If you do not work first shift you either get the option of hotdogs or bringing your own meal. This is further complicated by the lack of having an employee refrigerator.

Advice to Management

Being ambitious makes a person or business successful. However, being unrealistic is a detriment to the company both in means of morale and success.

4. "Sneaky Snakes"

Former Employee - Administrative in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Administrative in Louisville, KY

I worked at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay can be decent, somewhat normal hours, cheap snacks and free soda

Cons

Highly deceptive management, rampant discrimination, antiquated software systems, lack of organization, lack of proper discourse for HR violations, and a generally bull headed attitude by most of the long time employees.

Advice to Management

Sell the company, fire every single manager at the SSR. Don’t gloss over massive issues on your financial books just to make your company easier to sell.

5. "Shift Leader"

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always room for advancement.
    Meeting our customers.

Cons

Not enough people to cover a shift
    Favoritism

Advice to Management

Its not right that first shift gets all the help...always plenty of employees working but rest of shifts suffer. We feel it's always covered because it's usually the manager shift. First shifts are not busier than any other shift and needs to have enough help on other shifts too.
    Need to treat everyone equal.
    Every shift needs to have next shift set up ready to go ...hard to come in to our shift and doing things previous shift should have had done.
    Team members are becoming frustrated.

6. "Good Company"

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) part-time

Pros

Get paid weekly, get to move around

Cons

Sometimes you may not be fully staffed

Aug 4, 2018 – Senior Director HR Field Operations

We have had an incredible summer selling season and are working diligently to be staffed and stable. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication. If you know someone that works as hard as you do... More

7. "Work work work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime , free hot dogs , esop

Cons

Hours, culture, call out policy leaves managers stuck working crazy hours. Applications and products tested at high volume locations and not introduced to team. Not a job to have with family

Advice to Management

Start over.

8. "Store Manager"

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time

Pros

It is never boring. Always work to keep you occupied. Interaction with customers is a plus.

Cons

Long hours. Dealing with her issues is a pain. You need to be on call at all times to deal with (cover for) GSR call offs and no shoes.

Aug 4, 2018 – Senior Director HR Field Operations

Thanks for sharing both your pro’s and con’s with employment at Thorntons. I agree working in a 24/7 business is never boring and I’m glad to read that interactions with our guest is a plus. I am... More

9. "Better than most retail jobs"

I have been working at Thorntons (Kentucky) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a newer team member at Thornton's (2 months in), and I feel that I have been trained very well in my position. My starting pay is also two dollars above minimum wage. Very good if you like a fast pace. Good hours, and pretty good coworkers and managers. I also love that we are paid weekly!

Cons

There is a lot of work you have to do, and it can be stressful when you are very busy. If you cannot handle completing multiple tasks in a fast paced environment, Thornton's may not be for you. It can be a lot to handle, but your shift goes by fast because of it.

Advice to Management

I like the PTW points program, but maybe find a way to reward individual team members with bonus PTW points for good work. It'd be nice to have an individual component to it rather than just relying on the performance of the store as a whole for points.

Aug 4, 2018 – Senior Director HR Field Operations

Thanks for sharing your experience so far working with Thorntons. We have positioned ourselves to pay competitive wages and benefits within our industry. We have a team of HR and Operations currently... More

10. "Crazy"

Former Employee - GSR in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - GSR in Louisville, KY

I worked at Thorntons (Kentucky) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours and job isn't super hard to do if you're physically able. They give you a free lunch.

Cons

Long hours, no lunch break, sometimes I would be expected to work 25 hour shifts with a smile and not complain.

Advice to Management

They got. Rid of the old managers, made. It a much better place. Patrick is on the ball I think he's definitely a good fit for the role.