ThoughtSpot Reviews

Updated May 6, 2021

4.2
ThoughtSpot CEO Sudheesh Nair
Sudheesh Nair
Pros
  • "Selfless Excellence culture that starts from the top(in 13 reviews)

• "Great product that is quickly becoming one of the leaders in the BI space(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "fast paced environment(in 7 reviews)

• "Work life balance is non existent, many late nights and weekends(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Love it!

Mar 7, 2021 - Vice President
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership better product! Amazing customers

Cons

Growing extreme fast. Tough to keep up

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Passionate Execs, poor management and engineering culture

Dec 12, 2020 - Member Of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Passionate founders - Meaningful product - Many smart engineers who are a pleasure to work with - Bleeding edge technologies in many aspects

Cons

- Lack of diversity (90% engineering staff are Indian males), recruiting efforts doesn’t help. - People who lack management skills being put i to middle managing roles on merit and seniority, not leadership ability. - Work life balance is non existent, many late nights and weekends. Especially hard during pandemic for employees who are parents. - Product team focusing more on adding features instead of fixing known issues and empathize on the core value feature, the search. - Lack flexibility in engineering culture. Engineers often has little say on what they want to work on. Managers just assign stuff without discussion.

5 people found this review helpful

CHRO

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts with us. We are always striving to improve our employee's experience and direct feedback from employees is essential to that. We are definitely focusing on how to expand our hiring efforts to invite a broader and more diverse pool of candidates. This will not happen over night, but we are committed to this effort. I am currently recruiting for a Global Talent Acquisition Leader who will help us on that journey. If you are at all open to connecting with me directly to discuss any of the other concerns you raised, I would love an opportunity to learn more from you. All the best to you!

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Plenty of opportunities to lead and grow

Feb 1, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lean teams create a lot of opportunities to take on responsibilities if you want it. It's exciting to help build the company as it continues to grow.

Cons

Some teams try to do too many things at once. Attention gets diverted from time to time.

4. 5.0

Fast pace creative destructor

Feb 2, 2021 - Solution Architect in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great team, High Growth, expanding customer base

Cons

building and flying, workarounds adapting to release schedule

5. 1.0

Not worth it

Mar 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* innovative product * good health care benefits

Cons

* highly political * employees are overworked and underpaid * some teams are dysfunctional and unorganized * zero work life balance (if you want a life outside of work, don’t come here) * based on previous reviews, their culture of selfless excellence needs more work. it seems to be more of an issue now

6 people found this review helpful

CHRO

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts. I'm sorry to hear that you are not having a great experience. I would love to have an opportunity to talk about your concerns further. Please reach out to set up time with me at any time.

6. 5.0

Excellent Company Culture

Jan 4, 2021 - Field Security Engineer in Chesapeake, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Small Company, Attention to detail, Family like environment

Cons

None to report at this time

CHRO

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts with us! I'm so glad that your experience with ThoughtSpot is a positive one. The company definitely puts a lot of effort to ensure our employees feel like this is a family environment. It is a huge part of our culture.

7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Decent product, Poor culture, fragile architecture

Sep 10, 2020 - Member Of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The product has some features which competitors don't have. There are so many things to improve that there isn't a lack of opportunities.

Cons

- Brown, Male, Indian is what the 90% employees look like. - Only 25% of the people are from good background and mentally sharp. - Culture is quite non-existent. - The design of most components is hollow - and not meant for scale. - Most features are good only for small deployments - eg most Rest APIs take > 10 seconds for medium deployments. - Most people are trapped with stock options which cost a lot - and IPO does not seem any time near. Leaving the company forces you to buy those options.

18 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company to begin career and grow

Sep 6, 2020 - Member Of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Thoughtspot after finishing my Master's degree. So far I have enjoyed working here. It's a really relaxed and calm environment, even though the work we do can be fast paced. The company runs on trust and transparency and this provides a feeling of mutual respect for everyone in the company, regardless of position or rank. - Great Company Culture. - Great work environment - Generous PTO - You truly feel valued as an employee.

Cons

Sometimes work can be overwhelming.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent product and team - big market opportunity

May 1, 2020 - Senior Director in Sunnyvale, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

ThoughtSpot is an excellent place to work. The product is top-notch, as are the leadership and individuals on the sales and product side. The addressable market is significant and growing. The exec team drives hard, but also genuinely cares for the employees, partners, and customers. The Executive team and Sr. Management is also very transparent which drives cohesion and makes people feel part of the journey. The benefits are also very good. There are also very good processes in place for a 600 person company at the current growth rate.

Cons

With any high growth company, it can be intense and there is a fair amount of chaos, but this is no different than other hyper-growth companies. The leadership team at ThoughtSpot has proven to be seasoned and level headed throughout.

10. 1.0

Inconsistent Messaging from Leadership and toxic culture

May 11, 2020 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are good, company pays a monthly gym stipend.

Cons

Last week the company abruptly laid off 12% of the company without explanation to those lucky enough to keep their positions. The leadership team committed to no layoffs, and changed their minds with no notice or reassurance that it wouldn't happen again. This has created a culture of panic, anxiety, stress, and toxicity amongst the remaining team. We can no longer trust or have faith in the message from the execs, and learning about our peers that were let go is shocking since so many were top performers. Other startups have announced pay-cuts or other measures to lessen the impact of employees, but ThoughtSpot went directly to layoffs. For now, my job is safe but who knows when the next round of layoffs will happen. I do know there will be several people leaving as soon as the market improves, and that includes myself. I would not recommend joining this company. There's a reason most of the founders have left.

43 people found this review helpful