ThoughtSpot Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 27, 2020

4.7
ThoughtSpot CEO Sudheesh Nair
Sudheesh Nair
Pros
  • "The company believes strongly in selfless excellence and they literally follow(in 12 reviews)

• "Smart people that like to work hard and have fun(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Fast paced, as is every startup(in 8 reviews)

• "There is absolutely no cons to working here(in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Excellent mid tier growth company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at ThoughtSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

1.)Flex time off: Having No max to the amount of days off is a huge value. ThoughtSpot has flex time off meaning you can take as many days off as your manager will approve. I personally have never seen someone get rejected for time off. You also have the flexibility to live your life when things come up. I have had a scenario for example where I needed to abruptly leave due to a emergency surgery happening on my grandfather and there was no questions asked about leaving. 2.)Unique product: ThoughtSpot is one of a kind in its ability to provide self service analytics via search at scale. This was the primary reason for TS being named a leader in the Gartner Magic Quadrant. 3.) Rapid Growth = Opportunity: Since ThoughtSpot is growing so fast, there are new roles/titles regularly being added. Promotions from within are the norm for ThoughtSpot employees that excel in their past and current roles. I have seen many of my colleagues including myself be promoted in the 11 months I have been with ThoughtSpot.

Cons

1.) Change: When you are growing fast you have to be nimble and nimble means change. Many consider change bad because its a shock to the system when something changes from the norm. ThoughtSpot is constantly changing the way it operates and though it is necessary for continued growth it can be frustrating in the moment. 2.) Abrupt Departures: ThoughtSpot does a great job of training and providing resources to its employees, but not performing is not tolerated. I have worked in environments where it seem like colleagues could do anything(or nothing) and still have a job... This is NOT the case with ThoughtSpot. Whether it's not performing or being more of a hassle then you are worth, I have seen a couple of people be abruptly let go without prior notice. At least this was the impression.

ThoughtSpot2019-09-05
  2. "Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at ThoughtSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Supportive, thoughtful management. Excellent product.

Cons

Benefits can use improvement - matching 401K, education reimbursement.

ThoughtSpot2020-01-27
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "An energizing startup full of brainiacs"

Current Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at ThoughtSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

Still early enough to have real impact on the product and company overall, but leadership has a solid vision and long-term view to guide us all in the right direction. Great people, perks and a net-positive mission. A very international company, and diverse in terms of experience and perspective.

Cons

Many pieces to learn and master; maybe too many for any one person. Still not too much process so it can be a little "on the fly" sometimes. But that's a startup - not different from any others I'm sure.

ThoughtSpot2020-01-14
  5. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at ThoughtSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. It's a growing product. So projects are very meaningful and quality of work is great. 2. There are a lot of smart people around. So the learning curve is great. 2. Work life balance is very good. 3. Benefits are very competitive, which include an excellent health coverage, free lunches etc.

Cons

No cons in my opinion.

ThoughtSpot2020-01-02

"Great for few, not for all."

Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at ThoughtSpot full-time for more than a year

Pros

- For the most part, the reason why I have stayed with ThoughtSpot as long as I did was because of the people. Some of the most genuine, kind, and all around great people I have had the please to work with. I enjoyed their company both inside and outside of the workplace. - The benefits were outstanding and the pay was very competitive. - The events that are thrown are amazing. Monique always did a fantastic job; she pulled things off that few could do and always did it with poise and class. - Great potential for upward movement within the company as long as you have a supportive manager. - And finally, the fully stocked kitchen was great, as well as the fully catered meals for both lunch and dinner (if you work late).

Cons

- When I first started at ThoughtSpot, it was an amazing place to work. The management team actually stood by the values they promoted, encouraged work-life balance, wanted you to work hard AND be happy, but over time, the value the company brags about most, "Selfless Excellence" has transformed into a reason for you to forego your life outside of work, for the "greater good of the company." I understand working for a startup requires discipline, longer hours and extreme amounts of dedication to your job, but at what cost should that come? For some, there is no such thing as work-life balance (either by their choice or their manager's). And for those in a management position whose lives are their work, often that expectation is pushed onto their direct reports. - The company boasts of an unlimited vacation policy, but should you decide to use some of it, you are always expected to work during those days off and are reprimanded if you don't. Burnout from ThoughtSpot is a common occurrence across all departments. - The HR department is a joke. Who do you go to about issues in the workplace, when some of the issues are with HR? Pushing ideas on religion and hearing racist comments are things that no one in any company should have to deal with, much less from anyone in a management role. - It is made very clear that everyone is replaceable, which is true, but why should anyone devote all their time and energy to a company that doesn't care about the person behind the product they create or the service they provide?

ThoughtSpot2019-12-17
  7. "The next big market disruptor"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at ThoughtSpot full-time for less than a year

Pros

- I've worked with other disruptive technologies in the past, this is one of the most impactful. Customers are "wowed" by what ThoughtSpot can do compared with how they must do things currently - The post sales organization is great. They will need to maintain this with growth though - Employees are excited and ready to jump in the boat to help out - Massive addressable market, the sky is the limit

Cons

- Need to improve sales talent and process. ThoughtSpot still has existing employees that are not ready to make the jump needed to reach $1b+ in revenue

ThoughtSpot2019-12-11
  8. "Great people, without the egos"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ThoughtSpot full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was a great place to work; tons of very smart and committed people who are willing to help the people around them, and nearly none of the common problems around lack of humility. Couldn't have asked for a better first place to work.

Cons

They struggled with diversity. I do believe that management values diversity highly, but I think things just were too unbalanced too early to make a full recovery.

ThoughtSpot2019-11-18
  9. "Great people, great software"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff

I have been working at ThoughtSpot full-time

Pros

* Extremely smart people * Visionary product * Amazing culture

Cons

* Fast paced, as is every startup

ThoughtSpot2019-11-11

"Good for getting feel for a startup, not great for long term career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at ThoughtSpot full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was exciting to see the company grow so fast so quickly. Health insurance completely was covered. Free delicious snacks. Most people I worked with were very smart and friendly. I got to explore another team, and it was so easy to make a switch. I am glad I made this move, because I enjoyed the work more, and was a turning point in my fledgling career. It led me to pursue the job I have today. Holiday parties were awesome.

Cons

There's a lot of favoritism towards engineers. Even though I was not an engineer, I felt like for the potential I had, no one cared about my personal and professional growth. My manager seemed nice and supportive at first, but was inapproachable over all. After I let them know about some positive events in my personal life, they made some snarky remarks. As a person relatively new to the workforce, I could not speak out. If you're not Indian and you don't speak Hindi, you might not fit in. It's incredibly alienating to hear work related discussions in a language that is not common to everyone around you. I had a barely livable salary, especially for living in the Bay Area, and they wouldn't budge in negotiation at all. There were absolutely no raises during the time I was there. They say world-class and selfless excellence, but that mostly meant giving out gold stickers to people who skipped out early on family vacations to show they're valuable. Give me a break.

ThoughtSpot2019-11-13
  11. "Good"

Former Employee - N/A

I worked at ThoughtSpot full-time

Pros

Pay is surprisingly generous given that it's a startup. Good leadership.

Cons

Lunch occasionally is quite bad, usually when our White catering food service tries to make Indian food.

ThoughtSpot2019-11-06

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 111 reviews