ThoughtWorks Principal Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 13 Nov 2019

2.2
ThoughtWorks CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao

"ThoughtWorks is comprised of very talented people"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working with very talented people. Great brand and culture. I genuinely liked my colleagues. Great people, amazing technical talent and strong/passionate community

Cons

Not many if you can tolerate the traveling/consultant lifestyle and find the right project

Advice to Management

Keep senior people honest and relevant by keeping them in front of clients and in touch with project teams

ThoughtWorks2013-04-16

"Not what it was, has devolved into a higher end body shop"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You might get to meet Martin Fowler

Cons

Everything else. Seriously. This is a company where good talent goes to be exploited. They hire great talent, promise the world, underpay people by over 50%, and make talent that has skills to start companies and change the world build things that do not matter and are not interesting. Do you have the talent to get into Google, but want to get paid 50% of your market rate, never see your family (100% travel... required), and write boring Java code for grocery stores or banks? Come to ThoughtWorks! We will put you on a plane to amazing locations like Ohio, Delaware, and Oklahoma City while you work on your 4th divorce!

Advice to Management

Sell yourselves as soon as possible.

ThoughtWorks2019-10-05
  3. "Amazing journey"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

ThoughtWorks has some of the best and brightest people in the industry. They will challenge you to be your best every day. I had the chance to try our a variety of roles throughout my journey. The flexibility and support for career development is great.

Cons

Traveling to clients every week can get tiresome after a while. The non-hierarchcial management structure can make finding internal leadership opportunities challenging.

ThoughtWorks2016-01-26

"Great company to work for"

Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ThoughtWorks for more than 3 years

Pros

Some really good people. Lots of learning opportunities. Interesting work. Flattish structure. Heart in absolutely right place.

Cons

Does not pay market salary. Flat structure confusing in terms of reporting lines

Advice to Management

People come to TW for interesting work and interesting colleagues. Dont take on unaligned work or you would break the model.

ThoughtWorks2015-07-01

"Loved working with lights-out brilliant people. Great place to spend a year; TW on your resume is a great door opener."

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You'll learn alot - about technology, about yourself, about people.You'll learn at an incredible rate - mostly due to the smart people who will surround you. Of course - that will depend on the projects on which you get slapped. ThoughtWorks' approach to agile is better than that of any other company I've seen. When you travel, you're often with at least several others who are also traveling. Offers... opportunities to socialize with colleagues in strange cities. Most ThoughtWorkers don't like Scrum. They prefer XP. This is good. Agile engineering practices are vital to successful implementation of agile. You'll learn this.

Cons

Travel can be onerous for those who want to maintain their personal relationships where they live (e.g. spouses, kids, friends). You don't often get a choice in where you end up. Fort Lauderdale in the winter? Great. New Hampshire? Not so much. You'll hear that you have a say in where you go, but you often don't have much of a choice at all. Flat hierarchy sounds nice, but can impart a significant political... toll on your career. I know at least a dozen excellent folks who have been fired for various reasons - political, scapegoats for projects, folks not willing to violate their own sense of integrity to push company objectives that were incongruent with their values. Decide whether to fly under the radar, or challenge the radar itself. I know many current TWorkers who chose the former. I know ex-TWorkers who chose the latter. Politically, conservative views are poison here. There's a contingent there who thinks that Venezuela - under Chavez - was the model government. The predominant view is for bigger government. Contrary to the claim that dissenting/challenging views are accepted at the company, I've seen such expressions emit firestorms and tank careers. One very high level leader oscillates between saying he's a communist and that he's a socialist. If you're aligned with this - no problem. If not, consider staying under the radar with your views. Bill your hours to the client, then do your ThoughtWorks work. Expenses. Interviewing. Booking travel. Code Reviews for candidates. Working on RFP's. You get the picture. Be sure that you continue to bill your 40 hours though. Bill 60 hours on a project week after week? Not even an attagirl. Another integrity issue: SVIP.

Advice to Management

Eliminate the political favoritism. Provide some leadership training to those who are running the offices. TW mantra is "Attitude, Aptitude, and Integrity". Rate yourselves on these dimensions. Have a retrospective on it. Ask employees - anonymously - where they see a dearth

ThoughtWorks2014-03-17

"ThoughtWorks is great in so many ways, but the lifestyle is draining."

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Culture Great Benefits Work with Best and Brightest

Cons

Travel Work / Life Balance Developer Centric

ThoughtWorks2014-02-16
  7. "ThoughtWorks is a great place to make a difference in the world"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Work with and learn from amazing people. Push for social justice.

Cons

Travel is a big part of consulting.

ThoughtWorks2013-01-29
  8. "Top notch networking and learning"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- You will work with many of the best people in the industry - You will have easier access to speaking and publishing opportunities - You will be at the cutting edge of your field - Having ThoughtWorks on your resume gets people's attention

Cons

- Most employees travel constantly - Salaries are not commensurate with the level of skill required to work at ThoughtWorks - Most of your clients will be dysfunctional teams in large companies - If you want to move out of constantly billable roles it becomes very political

ThoughtWorks2012-10-19
  9. "I've learned so much, and been given an opportunity to work at high profile clients"

Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks

Pros

Smart people. Problem Solving Culture. Open. Flat. Influential Company. Agile (leaning towards XP rather than Scrum). Martin Fowler is the Chief Scientist. There's opportunity to try out other offices globally after you've served a year in the company.

Cons

It can be chaotic at times. Even as a consultant from an esteemed company, clients can sometimes ignore good advice. ThoughtWorks occasionally signs work that's not good for staff.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing without selling out to a) unsustainable pace, b) big evil corporations. Grow the influencers inside.

ThoughtWorks2012-05-20
  10. "Great Learning Experience"

Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks

Pros

transparency, knowledge sharing is amazing, first class development teams

Cons

too much forced socializing when on the road

ThoughtWorks2012-01-23