ThoughtWorks Reviews

Updated May 7, 2021

4.2
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
Pros
  • "The work life balance of employees are given importance(in 102 reviews)

• "You get to work with some of the really smart people(in 98 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance to some extend(in 49 reviews)

• "Being a consultancy there is no real ownership of the work being done(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of ThoughtWorks and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years
      Featured Review

Believe the hype

Mar 26, 2021 - Manager in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

You'll work with some of the smartest people in the technology industry You are treated like a human, trusted and respected You are always made to feel welcome The work is interesting - clients challenge us with complexed problems which keeps us on our toes and in turn makes the work challenging and enjoyable The benefits aren't spoken about enough, length pat leave, 6 months full pay, or 12 months half pay maternity alongside an incredible new fertility policy to support IVF treatment and child loss

Cons

Training has been a problem in the past, but in the past 6 months there has been some great initiatives put into place for folk to really learn and advance their own expertise

1 person found this review helpful

Community Manager

Thanks so much for your review!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that truly values their people

May 6, 2021 - Senior Recruiter in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flat environment (no bureaucracy nor politics), work life balance, vast amount of learning opportunities, amazing culture, and opportunity to work with incredibly bright and passionate people

Cons

Some people enjoy a very hierarchal company environment - this company does not offer that. Thoughtworks is very flat, which allows everyone to make an impact regardless of role or “seniority”

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great People, Okay Pay, Rough Career Advancement.

May 7, 2021 - Lead User Experience/UI Designer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are top notch — thoughtful, fun, friendly, considerate, amazing teachers and learners. Thoughtworks' true skill is attracting and retaining great people. Thoughtworks also taught me a ton of very useful skills for my following job at a startup — deep knowledge of the "work around the work" and the best ways to accomplish it made me and my team perform much better.

Cons

Pay is good but not great — if you have the skills to work at TW you probably have the skills to make 1.5x at a different place. The work is not always interesting, and traveling to client locations often sucks. Career advancement is limited because it's not well-structured for anyone but software engineers, and often highly dependent on staffing and client work.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture and career opportunities

Jan 13, 2021 - Lead Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

ThoughtWorks tries it best to treat everyone well. The health and wellbeing of its people is a top priority, and that's reflected in the hiring of managers and leaders of people that ascribe to 'servant leadership'. I was (and am) among those. There are also ample career growth opportunities if you are not entirely passive about your career. The tools, people, and client staffing opportunities made available to everyone support a wide variety of career paths.

Cons

You must be at least somewhat of a self-driven, self-directed person to succeed here. A large percentage of the unhappy people I have seen leave the company were not prepared to drive their own career path and take advantage of the opportunities presented to them. Most people - especially in Professional Services doing direct client work - have no solid line boss. You have no-one telling you what to do day-to-day and you can go a long time doing very little and suffering no consequences, leaving you feeling like there is no objective or rhyme or reason. This management format does not work well for some people. With that said, you do have several people senior to you who will guide and mentor you. And, you will have someone on your client engagement that is somewhat responsible for your results. They are the closest person you will have to an official boss. If you come to ThoughtWorks, please be prepared to take charge of your career path.

2 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best place I've ever worked!

Mar 19, 2021 - Principal Consultant in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Variety or work. Emphasis on learning. Diversity.

Cons

ThoughtWorks hires tremendously talented people and, not surprisingly, some don't stay long (recruited elsewhere).

ThoughtWorker

Thank you for sharing your review. We're happy to read that you enjoyed your time here and found ThoughtWorks to be a diverse organization that provided interesting work and learning opportunities. We wish you the best of luck in your new role!

6. 5.0

Great place to work

Mar 19, 2021 - Senior Experience Designer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Growth opportunities and great community

Cons

I like everything related to the company so far

ThoughtWorker

Thanks for sharing your review. We're glad you're enjoying your time here and we're happy you're with us!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Changing but tech still @core

Dec 19, 2020 - Lead Consultant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

TW is growing, opening up stretch roles across the board. It's also broadening the range and complexity of work we're doing. TW is maturing it's offerings, providing a clear path for specialization. TWers consistently strive for excellence on engagements, often going above and beyond to get the best possible outcomes. TW remains a relatively flat organization and the best ideas trump any title or hierarchy. Tech remains at the core.

Cons

As with all consultancies, work is largely related to problem-solving and rarely in decision making. This presents a challenge for those wanting to grow into product management or engineering management roles. Compensation lags behind the market. This is now more apparent with the benefits of travel drying up.

8. 5.0

Opportunity, inclusivity and debate

Jan 5, 2021 - Operations in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to work on new things that interest you, if that's what you want to do. You won't be held back from trying new things (which you have to be careful about, too, because no one will tell you you're overworked!) Company is really inclusive, wants to do the right thing internally and externally.

Cons

Sometimes way too much time is spent getting everyone's input vs just getting things done. Everyone has an opinion and is encouraged to use it but not every opinion is helpful or needed.

ThoughtWorker

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! We're glad to read that you're enjoying the opportunities ThoughtWorks provides. And since we value collaboration and feedback, you're right in that at times ThoughtWorkers will provide their thoughts on a topic. We do however believe that this helps us produce high-quality work, as getting input and challenging our ideas can help us learn and grow. Thank you again for your review.

9. 4.0

I LOVE ThoughtWorks, I LIKE the work

Jan 26, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture, incredible people who are interesting and kind, agile/nimble (despite the occasional growing pain). Been here almost 2 years and have made a good little network within the company. You can move within the company quite a lot. TW is adaptable and responsive to employee feedback, which is so cool. CEO of North America is amazing. Probably will stay here several more years. I have good work life balance currently, but I think it depends on project. Overall I hold a very strong opinion of TW.

Cons

Sometimes you get on bad projects that don't align with your interests/the client is just not awesome. Pay is a little below industry standard.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great culture

Apr 2, 2021 - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Training is great. Culture is excellent

Cons

Workload is high, pay is below market rate

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,018 Reviews