ThoughtWorks Reviews | Glassdoor

ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Keep work life balance can be a challenge" (in 38 reviews)

• "There tends to be a lot of travel involved, depending on your home office and your specific projects" (in 14 reviews)

1. "The people"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm constantly inspired by all of my brilliant coworkers. The personal support at ThoughtWorks is top-notch. I've had exposure to many innovative ideas, and been able to explore these on a daily basis.

Cons

Can be difficult to balance work with personal life.

"Lead Software Developer"

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Denver, CO

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues: professional, smart, interesting.

If you like to travel, this is a place you will definitely do it. That's maybe a double-edged sword.

Some engagements can be very professionally rewarding.

Cons

100% travel is the norm for North America.

Many assignments are more "staff augmentation" than the higher-value roles that TW ostensibly prefers. I wonder how much TW *actually* avoids staff aug roles.

Advice to Management

Strive to differentiate between staff aug and other roles - maybe even via organization. If it's a part of the business, make it explicit.

Get going on "location independence" or other ways to allow people in North America to not have to travel 100%.

3. "Unique community of thoughtful, bright, empathetic humans"

Current Employee - Lead Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people! From the first day I interviewed, I felt like these “ThoughtWorkers” could literally all be friends, not just colleagues. Everyone is very sharp, opinionated, and cares about making the world a better place (through technology, activism, and/or solidarity with worthy causes). Lunchtime conversations are always interesting and engaging.

I also really appreciate that the company considers very carefully who they will take in as a client; if it’s not in line with our values we may not take the work even if it’s lucrative. We also do a lot of pro- and low-bono work for nonprofits and cool social organizations; it’s fun and energizing to work on those projects but even when I’m not working on one of them, I know my billable work with corporate clients is going to help us do more work to make a difference in society.

I love how global the ThoughtWorks community is — we have offices in something like 18 countries. And it is relatively easy to request a long term assignment in another company if you like.

If you enjoy the lifestyle of being a show-by-doing consultant (your time is split between doing your craft and advising/upskilling client teams in that craft), you get into some really meaty consulting scenarios; I personally thrive on that balance of doing and teaching.

What’s different with ThoughtWorks as a consultancy is that we partner with the clients on everything from concept creation and validation through developing the final solution, so you aren’t pigeonholed into just creating a concept or just executing on someone else’s vision.

Client projects can be anywhere from a few weeks to a year-ish, so you get to try out a lot of different domains and challenges — it’s rarely boring because your assignments are always changing.

Finally, it’s a very flat organization that gives you a lot of flexibility in creating your own career path. That can be difficult for some people to navigate, but if you’re a self-starter and enjoy driving your career into different directions, it’s fabulous for that.

Cons

Everyone is very opinionated. This is both a pro and a con because it brings up many engaging conversations and also can be challenging to navigate.

The flatness of the organization can be difficult for people that don’t enjoy making their own path.

There tends to be a lot of travel involved, depending on your home office and your specific projects. Some think of this as a pro, and some people get tired of traveling frequently and get burned out.

Advice to Management

The beauty of ThoughtWorks is in the people — make sure you keep the magic of our hiring processes that bring such awesome people together to form such a unique organization.

"Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good mix of experience, from entry-level to super senior.
    People operations manager in SF is very kind and understanding

Cons

constant weekly travel
    super political
    below market value pay
    arrogant people
    promises to be transparent but politics reign supreme

"Principal Consultant"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent people to work with. On any random project with 10 employees you ave personally never met before you can 100% count on them all being excellent and dedicated

Cons

heavy travel requirements. unwillingness to accept government contracts.

Advice to Management

add an equity participation program

"Good for entry level consultants and hands-off "principal" consultants. Not so good otherwise"

Former Employee - Lead Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many people in the company are passionate and pragmatic technologists who want to help their clients to deliver value to customers.

Cons

ThoughWorks is about travel. Do not join the company if you want to be based and work in a given city.

Management can be fine, but if you're unlucky you'll suffer. Most managers in the company are not trained or experienced to act as managers, which means they end up causing a lot of damage. I had a great time with some managers in the NY office, but in the past one of the MDs had a management style that caused a high attrition rate, and despite the shortcomings she was kept for years. HR management is generally not great either. Unfortunately the company has a policy of moving inept managers into "social responsibility" roles, as opposed to let them go.

Consultants in general are great, and make good colleagues to work with. However, the "principal" consultants are generally disconnected from technical work and seem to spend most of their time doing sales-related activities (or personal marketing). Whenever they end up coming with actual technical solutions, they generally cause a lot of damage to clients.

The company is fairly inconsistent among its offices. In the USA, in general, it's not a company I'd recommend. In Europe it's ok-ish. In India and China it's about offshore work, and substantially better than other local companies. In Brazil it's mostly about left-wing politics. In Australia it seems to be a decent company.

Advice to Management

In the past, a lot of new work coming to ThoughWorks was due to consultants who left the company, and eventually refer ThoughtWorks to help their new companies. Nowadays people leaving the company wouldn't recommend it anymore. Fix this, or you'll progressively become another Accenture.

7. "Great people, great potential."

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people who are curious about technology and social issues.

Cons

There's little organizational coordination, meaning that most things are ad hoc and personality driven, rather than strategic.

Advice to Management

Maintain the flatness from a culture and accessibility perspective, but add some meaningful organization.

"All employees are equal, but some are more equal than other"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, culture, multiple offices all over the world, benefits

Cons

Heavy on travel - you might need to travel 100% of your time and there's nothing you can do about it, this company runs on travel
    Pays less than what you could earn, especially if you've been there for a few years.
    Tells you that there is no limit for what you can do and how you can grow, but actually have some obscure ways of gathering performance feedbacks from managers that have no idea about what you do.

Advice to Management

Please hear your folks. Compensate them adequately, people can't pay their kids daycare with love and energy, they need decent pay.

9. "Software Developer Consultant"

Former Employee - Software Development Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, getting to work with lots of different companies and gain a lot of experience

Cons

You have to travel, you don't get a lot of choice about what you work on

"A good place to start"

Current Employee - Consultant Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people. Really good people. Both technically, and just really chill to work with, talk and find mentorship from.

Cons

100% travel really takes a big hit to your social life.
    So many changes, you need a neck-brace.

Advice to Management

Steady the ship.