ThoughtWorks Reviews

3.6
ThoughtWorks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
Pros
Cons
  • "Travel can be taxing to work life balance over time(in 43 reviews)

• "Nowadays I'm observing that many old thoughtworkers are leaving company which is not good sign(in 22 reviews)

1. "Genuinely inclusive company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

- Everyone is truly kind, thoughtful, and smart. I haven't encountered any jerks since I've been here, which is refreshing. - The work is challenging and there are a lot of opportunities to learn as much as you want - Interesting company story/history that is a bit different from most other tech companies - Real dedication to inclusion that can be felt from day 1 when gender pronouns are declared when at orientation; really cool work done (solidarity over charity) to support causes dealing with poverty, health, climate change, etc.

Cons

- There is a bit of a divide in mindsets between some people who have been with the company for a long time and others who are newer; not too different from other companies in that sense, probably, but seems to be a bit more prevalent here. Will be interesting to see how the company progresses as a business considering its history - Lots of opinions, which isn't always a bad thing, but can feel a bit like 'death by committee' at times - ThoughtWorks is very committed to social change but needs to figure out how to balance that work/mentality with thriving as a business

ThoughtWorks2020-03-09
  2. "Consultancy with growing management concerns"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Empathetic culture for tech; Encouraged autonomy; Sharp colleagues; Variety offered through projects - which is always a two-way conversation

Cons

Personal growth hinges on project opportunities; Culture has changed since acquisition; Management has not been great at articulating changes or mitigating confusion in timely fashion

ThoughtWorks2020-02-26

May 1, 2020

Thank you for your detailed review. We're glad to read that you enjoy both the culture and the work you do: these are two of the most important aspects of a career! And you're right - our culture has evolved over time, however we feel confident in the direction we're heading. We always want to develop better ways of working in order to better deliver for our clients. Our leadership team, especially in recent times, has been very transparent and active in ensuring that employees feel supported. Thanks again for taking the time to write a review and for being with us!

3. "Used to be an awesome company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Passionate people to work.

Cons

Losing its culture and secret sauce since focus is to scale up too fast.

ThoughtWorks2020-02-16

"Better than average company with travel drawbacks"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent people, cool projects, creative problem solving, collaborative work environment, intellectually stimulating

Cons

Group-think, excessive travel, caters to developers and neglects others

ThoughtWorks2019-11-11

"Mixed Experience as a Designer"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have met a few great people here that I would want to continue a friendship with outside of work. I feel I'm compensated fairly for my role. The company makes an effort to train and support the skills development of employees. ThoughtWorks is extremely diverse and I've really enjoyed meeting all kinds of talented people here.

Cons

There is no real career path available for designers. ThoughtWorks is a tech first company, who has not demonstrated to me that they value design. This is apparent through lack of design leadership, lack of funds allocation to design initiatives, and lack of interest in career and leadership advancement of designers. For example, design does not get a seat at the table with the tech leaders in the business. There are no design-oriented promotion paths, but there is a strong and clear path of advancement for tech roles. I often feel I get mismatched with opportunities that do not challenge me and are transactional vs. strategic. There is a general lack of teamwork I feel working on projects. Instead, I have experienced divisiveness and argumentativeness on teams, which does not lead to great results or culture experiences. Leadership on projects is distant and uninvolved, so a lot of the time I've felt like there was no one to go to if I was having an issue or needed clarification. I've been told that I'm too introverted to be as successful as I want to be at ThoughtWorks.

ThoughtWorks2019-10-21

December 17, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Our people are arguably our greatest asset and we're glad to read that you feel supported in your role. However, both introverts and extroverts (and everyone in between!) have a home here, so we're disappointed to read that you have been told otherwise. Regarding career trajectories, we work hard to foster an environment where ThoughtWorkers can explore opportunities and create a path for themselves that might not be predefined. We will share your feedback with the design organization in order to address any pain points that may exist. Thanks again for your review!

"Not what it was, has devolved into a higher end body shop"

2.0
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You might get to meet Martin Fowler

Cons

Everything else. Seriously. This is a company where good talent goes to be exploited. They hire great talent, promise the world, underpay people by over 50%, and make talent that has skills to start companies and change the world build things that do not matter and are not interesting. Do you have the talent to get into Google, but want to get paid 50% of your market rate, never see your family (100% travel required), and write boring Java code for grocery stores or banks? Come to ThoughtWorks! We will put you on a plane to amazing locations like Ohio, Delaware, and Oklahoma City while you work on your 4th divorce!

ThoughtWorks2019-10-05

December 4, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to submit a review. We know work travel can be challenging at times. As a software consultancy, we believe we’re the best partner for our clients when we can be there working alongside with them. However, in order to better support our consultants, we’ve rolled out some changes in the last year, such as our Global Travel Program which improves flexibility, convenience, and choice for our consultants while traveling. We do appreciate the time you spent with us, though, and wish you the best of luck in your new role.

"Great place to start and advance career"

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are many amazing people to learn from and a wide variety of projects with different technology stacks in different industries. I learned many best practices of software development from my time at ThoughtWorks.

Cons

You can’t always be staffed on an ideal project. Traveling can be a downside depending on the person.

ThoughtWorks2019-07-28

December 9, 2019

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're glad you found your time here to be rewarding! We hear you about staffing and travel. We're always trying to strike the right balance between our clients' needs with ThoughtWorkers' career goals and interests. With travel, it can be challenging at times, but we know it provides strong support for our clients to have our teammates onsite with them. We hope that the improvements we've made to our travel program have helped. Thanks again!

"Great Introduction to the Industry, Strong Core Values, Wonderful Culture & People"

Former Employee - Software Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Individuals from all over the world and different walks of life which shows their strong embrace of diversity and inclusion - Passionate individuals with often strong opinions - Great environment for learning a lot and very fast - Great overview of the state of software companies all of the world due to such a wide variety in projects

Cons

- Paths to success within the company are difficult to identify past a certain point. - Lots of internal politics

ThoughtWorks2019-03-30

April 1, 2019ThoughtWorker

Thank you for your honest and thoughtful review. We take all reviews to heart and appreciate your feedback. I know that we're working on scaling our leadership development programs to ensure everyone has a clear picture of the many career paths and leadership opportunities available to them. - Nicole

"Take advantage of the travel"

Former Employee - Lead Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Endless travel possibilities. Instead of flying home for the weekend, fly somewhere else! ✈️ * Diverse work opportunities. Every project is wildly different, which gives you tons of valuable experience. A couple of years at ThoughtWorks is like 5+ years in the tech industry bouncing around jobs. 💪 * Leading the industry in women in technology! 👩‍💻 * The culture here actively encourages examining really important social and economic issues such as racism, privilege, diversity in technology, the free and open Internet, etc. 🤔 * Fair compensation, especially when taking into account the travel perks (expense account while on the road) and other benefits. 💵 * Unlike some other consultancies, being un-staffed (“on the beach”) does not have any negative connotations. No worry of being fired or something. 🏝

Cons

* Be ready for 50+ hour weeks. 40 hours of billable time for your project plus travel time (at least 8 hours a week) plus any non-billable you do such as interviews, office events, etc. 😪 * Typically high stress. Projects are often on a tight deadline with a demanding client. Projects can get cancelled all of a sudden. On top of that, traveling can be stressful too. Flights getting delayed or cancelled, dealing with hotel bookings, all add to the taxing nature of a traveling consultant lifestyle. 😰 * Lots of projects are in slow-moving, enterprise IT environments. Don’t expect to be working with hip tech companies. Expect huge organizations that move like a tanker ship, locked down laptops, frozen middle management, stuffy offices full of cubicles, and dress codes. 🏢 * Specializing in anything is hard. While you do have some say in what projects you get staffed on, its mostly luck of the draw for whatever happens to be available when you become available. 🍀

ThoughtWorks2018-11-15

January 3, 2019Director, Content

Thank you for such an honest and thoughtful review. I'm so glad that you recognize how diverse the experience can be here at ThoughtWorks, as well as our active commitment to social and economic justice and women in tech. As for the hours and stress, I think that's just part of the consulting world so we encourage people to take full advantage of their travel and wellness benefits and time off. We also try to look out for each other and provide support wherever needed. With regard to the nature of our projects, yes we do work with lots of large enterprises who hire us for the reasons you mention. They come to us with big, ambitious missions and know they need to move faster, be more agile, bring tech to the core of their business, change their culture and unlock people and potential. As you know, each journey is very different but it's exciting when you get to see you're having an impact. Thank you again for your feedback! - Nicole

"Great people deserve great projects"

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The quality of people that work here is unparalleled. I stayed longer than anticipated because it was such a joy to work on these teams. Great camaraderie, extremely intelligent, open, and kind. Culture of feedback is great and allows you to really work on yourself in a professional setting. Rotating teams means you are always learning new things from your peers. Good overall benefit package, and great if you really like to travel since you can fly other places on weekends when you are on a traveling project.

Cons

Many of the projects we take on are not very exciting. As much as well sell ourselves internally that we bring a culture of change, often times it feels as if we are just put in staff augmentation roles. Also, it seems that over the last few years the "social impact" pillar has been disregarded. We take on many clients in industries that the typical TWer is against, and it feels as though this pillar is just a recruiting tool to get like minded people together, but is not something that is ever taken into much consideration in day to day dealings. Always seemed like low compensation compared to what we were billing and what the market was offering. Travel every week can get really tiring, but it comes with the territory.

ThoughtWorks2018-12-07

January 3, 2019Director, Content

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. We’re sorry you didn’t have the P3 experience you were hoping for. We try to create a platform for all ThoughtWorkers to engage around social justice topics and initiatives. And we always appreciate direct feedback on where we can improve. If you'd like to, please reach out to Elise Zelechowski with the Social Impact Group to continue this conversation. We would love to hear more. -Nicole

Found 699 reviews