ThoughtWorks Reviews | Glassdoor

ThoughtWorks Reviews

Updated May 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Cons

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ThoughtWorks (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really good people. Lots of learning opportunities. Interesting work. Flattish structure. Heart in absolutely right place.

Cons

Does not pay market salary. Flat structure confusing in terms of reporting lines

Advice to Management

People come to TW for interesting work and interesting colleagues. Dont take on unaligned work or you would break the model.

2. "You get out of TW what you put in!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Open culture, collaborative environment, flexibility & benefits

Cons

Lack of leadership & growth opportunities

3. "Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time

Pros

Fantastic place to work for

Cons

Things would have changed a lot in past 10 year. So can't comment on Cons now.

"Great place to work at, but perhaps not forever"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ThoughtWorks has great people who are very talented, smart and serious about software excellence. They are dedicated to improving social justice in the world though I think, unfortunately, they don't actually achieved very much in this regard. Young developers can learn extremely rapidly here because of pair programming. A wonderful place for young single people.
    Besides the intense travel expectation, they do support work/life balance.

Cons

Traveling 4-5 days per week is difficult for everyone except young, single people. Not a sustainable lifestyle for most people as they approach more advanced years and want a family. There is also a glass ceiling on both responsibility and pay so that retaining experienced people is very difficult. Experienced people find themselves mostly in a teaching role and many leave. The culture is a bit cultish and insular. If you are expecting to rise in the ranks of management, you need to be on board with the company dogma and social values, and leftish political slant. The Owner Roy is completely focused on growth and this is at odds with the consultants desire for interesting work on innovative projects. Pay is not very competitive particularly for more experienced people. Projects sometimes feel bloated and high cost to clients. We could be much more lean and become more price competitive.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like a small company. You are no longer small. Get real about sales and marketing. Create better opportunities for more experienced people. Slow down on growth and focus on better more interesting work.

"3.5 Years at TW"

Former Employee - Applications Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ThoughtWorks (More than a year)

Pros

- Awesome colleagues
    - Tons of opportunities to travel around the U.S. and around the world
    - Relatively flat hierarchy
    - True advocates for the progress on the developing world
    - Open source champions e.g. Selenium, JBehave, Calatrava

Cons

- Some colleagues are extremely judgemental and non-team players (mileage may vary)
    - One person's experience is likely very different from another...it all depends on the kind of project you are staffed on
    - Professional growth takes a back seat to actual business need when staffing on projects

Advice to Management

Endeavor to find more interesting work and projects, particularly in booming markets. A bit more structure in career growth and prospects esp for more entry-level employees. Especially a years ago, it felt like leadership was making things up as they went

"Good worklife balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of technologies to learn
    good company culture
    very knowledgable people

Cons

politics
    finding good project is difficult sometimes

"An excellent place to get quality experience fast - real fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

a lot of interesting projects
    plenty of smart people to learn from
    opportunity to get international experience
    Agile powerhouse
    tons of fun

Cons

travel can get pretty intense
    generally comp is OK
    can get pretty political at times
    career paths for aspiring to become senior folks are unclear

Advice to Management

Figure out how to build a strong career development paths for talented employees - you have plenty to pick from

"Passionate about solving the world's and clients problems through tech with awesome, fun people?"

Current Employee - Lead Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

+ The people are smart, fun, sensitive, warm, always hungry for more challenges... they keep me learning! Some of my best friends are ThoughtWorkers or ex-ThoughtWorkers.
    + Opportunities to learn... I came in w/o a technical degree and through training, pairing and coaching, I've been able to perform well in many roles over the years (QA, BA, IM, PM). The first time I wrote an automated script I felt empowered and thought I could do anything!
    + Connection to our mission to improve the world through software... I've learned and grown so much as a human being. I am more aware about what's going on in the world that I have ever been.
    + Variety of projects... I've been able to work in different industries... retail, telecom, healthcare, energy distribution, energy transportation...
    + Really enjoy working with a diverse group of people... ThoughtWorks makes real efforts to recruit/retain and create an inclusive environment where people can be themselves.

Cons

- We're a growing company but our internal systems and processes haven't caught on with our size and our ambition. We need to fix that so that our people (our most valued asset!) don't fall through the cracks.

"ThoughtWorks is what you make of it."

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of lateral and upward mobility — you can easily try out stretch roles and quickly become a leader if you display competency
    The smartest people anywhere — nearly everyone at TW is brilliant. Expect lots of people to learn from.
    Strong Cultural values — TW's commitment to the "three-pillar" model, balancing a social mission with sustainable business is not just talk. It's taken seriously from the junior people all the way up to the executive level.

Cons

Unstructured and messy org — you have to figure out to navigate it, which can work to your advantage or your detriment
    Only for self-starters — don't expect a path to be laid out for you

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThoughtWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passionate driven people, interesting technologies, emphasis on learning, test driven development, agile company, focus on social and economic justice

Cons

not as high paying as some companies