KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 1,120 of over 2,011 reviews

4.4
Thoughtworks President and CEO Guo Xiao
Guo Xiao
Pros
  • "The work life balance of employees are given importance(in 102 reviews)

• "You get to work with some of the really smart people(in 98 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance to some extend(in 49 reviews)

• "Being a consultancy there is no real ownership of the work being done(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Thoughtworks and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

career growth and remuneration

Aug 3, 2021 - Senior Product Manager in China, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

always have good opportunities for growth as long as you are willing to take it on

Cons

the remuneration is much lower comparing to same level companies in the industry/market

2. 5.0

They don't make 'em better

Jun 22, 2021 - Principal Technologist in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

- There are only a few other consulting companies where you will find your niche irrespective of your level of experience - Highly collaborative teammates - Excellent leadership communication - doesn't matter if the news is good or bad - Lots of young enthusiastic and smart folks - If you don't like a client or a project, you have the ability to walk away which is awesome - Personal Dev Budget is great - Learning is everyone's middle name - Dogmatic about the ceremonies and processes (both a pro and a con)

Cons

- Sometimes the more tenured ThoughtWorkers have a NIMBY attitude, but most of them open to their required reeducation - Lack of hierarchy is great, but I find that most ThoughtWorkers respond to those with titles (which is the same as everywhere else). So what's the point? - Luminaries, and there are quite a few here, are somehow listened to more than those with practical experiences - Growing too fast without hierarchy means lack of support for most members of the organization. More junior folks haven't seen the best of class - Horrible insurance choices

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great culture and career opportunities

Jan 13, 2021 - Lead Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

ThoughtWorks tries it best to treat everyone well. The health and wellbeing of its people is a top priority, and that's reflected in the hiring of managers and leaders of people that ascribe to 'servant leadership'. I was (and am) among those. There are also ample career growth opportunities if you are not entirely passive about your career. The tools, people, and client staffing opportunities made available to everyone support a wide variety of career paths.

Cons

You must be at least somewhat of a self-driven, self-directed person to succeed here. A large percentage of the unhappy people I have seen leave the company were not prepared to drive their own career path and take advantage of the opportunities presented to them. Most people - especially in Professional Services doing direct client work - have no solid line boss. You have no-one telling you what to do day-to-day and you can go a long time doing very little and suffering no consequences, leaving you feeling like there is no objective or rhyme or reason. This management format does not work well for some people. With that said, you do have several people senior to you who will guide and mentor you. And, you will have someone on your client engagement that is somewhat responsible for your results. They are the closest person you will have to an official boss. If you come to ThoughtWorks, please be prepared to take charge of your career path.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Hard work, Thought-Provoking, Great people

Jun 30, 2021 - Lead Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- I think every developer benefits from at least 2 years here to let you see the forest in your work and see how/why company internal structures exist. - Working with thoughtful, inclusive people - A lot of personal growth if you are self-motivated and network well - There is a lot of incentive for your work to be higher value projects for clients - Vibrant internal community of developers

Cons

- Pay/(hours per week) is not competitive. - Hard to see growth in the company past "being a good consultant"(development skills + communication + selling ideas + getting projects to deliver) - Baseline working is 45-50 hours and depending on the project you might need to work more.

Thoughtworks Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback! And we're glad to hear you recognize what makes Thoughtworks remarkable: our people! And thank you for your candid advice to management. We're constantly looking for ways to improve and create with the well-being our each Thoughtworker top of mind. If you're reading this and thinking about applying, when you speak to your recruiter please ask them about our work-life balance programs and initiatives that we have in place as well as provide any ideas that you might have. We are a culture of feedback and value your perspectives.

5. 5.0
      Former Employee

Best company to work for in India

Jul 12, 2021 - Graduate Student in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1) Best Work Life Balance 2) Best Environment 3) Best people 4) Great food & variety of snacks, play area to relax

Cons

1) There are not anything I could think of.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Team work really does makes the dream work

May 17, 2021 - Director, Client Leadership in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- a huge differentiator for ThoughtWorks over its competition and often even full-time employees at many clients [which do include some of the world's most recognized brands] is the ability to come together to deliver large and complex end-to-end outcomes or programs of work - super smart technologists, product owners, business analysts, experience designers, etc. while independently would be rockstars on any team, together really become a force to be reckoned with... most of the time resulting in the poster model for how large-scale software projects should be delivered - Its not uncommon for orgs to call up TW once they've been burnt by Accenture, Globant, EPAM and the like to reset and salvage their big org modernization or cloud transformation effort - you are your best advocate to ensure your career heads in the direction you want/need it to; if you stay on top of it, you can get into the type of engagements and teams that will help you grow and advance and have a ton of fun along the way - deliberate focus on diversity by all counts means its maybe a tad ahead of its competition; and delivery results and culture demonstrate those values - mix of travel and local account options let you find that perfect sweet spot that feels right for you

Cons

- in rapid periods of growth in the thick of a straight up engineering talent war, internal interview requests to chat with the consultants of tomorrow, while super important, can be a little.....persistent - seeing some of the incredible things we build for our clients, sometimes the state of our internal tooling that we rely on to manage our business can be rather sad and embarrassing - we're definitely known for our tech chops which can give organization leadership the wrong impression that we wouldn't be equally as competent in slightly less digital spaces

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great People, Okay Pay, Rough Career Advancement.

May 7, 2021 - Lead User Experience/UI Designer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are top notch — thoughtful, fun, friendly, considerate, amazing teachers and learners. Thoughtworks' true skill is attracting and retaining great people. Thoughtworks also taught me a ton of very useful skills for my following job at a startup — deep knowledge of the "work around the work" and the best ways to accomplish it made me and my team perform much better.

Cons

Pay is good but not great — if you have the skills to work at TW you probably have the skills to make 1.5x at a different place. The work is not always interesting, and traveling to client locations often sucks. Career advancement is limited because it's not well-structured for anyone but software engineers, and often highly dependent on staffing and client work.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A company that truly values their people

May 6, 2021 - Senior Recruiter in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flat environment (no bureaucracy nor politics), work life balance, vast amount of learning opportunities, amazing culture, and opportunity to work with incredibly bright and passionate people

Cons

Some people enjoy a very hierarchal company environment - this company does not offer that. Thoughtworks is very flat, which allows everyone to make an impact regardless of role or “seniority”

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

A fantastic place to learn amidst thought leaders and make a difference to clients.

May 18, 2021 - Lead Consultant - Program Management in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Smart colleagues thought leaders Great clients with interesting problems Good benefits

Cons

Traveling consultancy - unless you love traveling every week

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work.

May 22, 2021 - Senior Consultant in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good leadership and offers opportunities for growth.

Cons

Not any at this time.

1 person found this review helpful