ThousandEyes Reviews | Glassdoor

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mohit Lad

1. Featured Review

"'Scale' defined, and believe this company will continue growing exponentially for years to come!"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ThousandEyes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Want to be a part of a company that's actually solving tough problems for applications and services that many of us use on a daily basis? Look into joining the talented pool of employees at ThousandEyes.
    The company has evolved tremendously over the last few years -- the revenues continue to go up and to the right as they add house-hold logos as their customers, they have an incredible knack for being fiscally responsible (i.e. don't waste $) and the management team is on the same page for the most part.

Cons

Company has plenty of perks, but needs to ensure 'culture' doesn't dwindle across their various office locations.

Advice to Management

Continue investing in employees' growth. Offer a forum of receiving honest feedback.

"Great Culture, Run With Smarts"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThousandEyes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership team has both smarts and experience. Company is chock-full of bright people that challenge the status quo, and possess real technology chops, raising the bar for everyone. Culture of transparency, innovation, and fun help a lot. A good dose of company-sponsored events integrates a healthy social mix into the equation. Excellent office/location in SF, and keeping that up in new locations in Austin, NYC and London.

Cons

Company growing at a good pace, so some processes still being built out. Desire to vet for talent and culture fit, results in more thorough interview process. Not for people that aren't passionate about technology or analytical in nature.

Advice to Management

Continue strong focus on growth and culture.

3. "Uncommon Opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you work at ThousandEyes, you are lucky to be apart of something uncommon. The product is slick and easy to use. It's a game changer in the market. We have passionate customers with superpowers. Passionate employees and great leadership. People are funny and collaborative, but serious about the product and execution.

Cons

Like many start-ups we move fast but gaps in process can slow you down.

Advice to Management

Keep Hiring the best and brightest. Keep communication consistent.

5. "Cool Place"

I have been working at ThousandEyes full-time

Pros

ThousandEyes provides free lunch everyday which is a nice perk. They also provide really great benefits.

Cons

Sometimes you get a bait and switch when it comes to roles and responsibilities. But overall not too bad.

"Great environment, great company with a promising future"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThousandEyes full-time

Pros

No competitors in the market and the number of clients is growing super fast!!
    Engineering using cutting edge technology collaborating with the open source community.

Unlimited vacation days and flexibility in all the aspects!!!

Cons

I would improve the food catering, it is ok, but could be better

"This is one start-up with a bright future!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThousandEyes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing Technology
    Great Momentum (look at the customer list)
    Smart Management Team
    Company cares about the culture and the employees
    True Multi-cultural environment
    Great workspace

Cons

Have not found any yet

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThousandEyes (Less than a year)

Pros

ThousandEyes has a great product, and a great bunch of people delivering that product. It is a great place to work at - everyone works hard, takes pride in their work, and has fun doing it. The management team is great and the culture of the company permeates from the top down.

Cons

The company is experiencing growing pains - scaling up and out is the big issue facing the company.

Advice to Management

Love the "Don't be an a**hole" policy. It keeps the company culture on the right track and helps people grow into their jobs and responsibilities.

"Amazing workplace"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThousandEyes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ThousandEyes is building a cool innovative product which offers all sort of challenges and from day one you have the opportunity to contribute with important components. Every engineer is heard and work as a team. Management is good at providing the right opportunities for people to grow.

Cons

It is still a small company and it is fighting the scaling issue. The management is still being built and direction as a company defined but the path looks very promising.

Advice to Management

Keep evolving as a company but keep the current culture - it is a great environment to work and evolve in. Try to improve on cross function collaboration to push the company even more.

"Okay place to work, mediocre compared to other options"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at ThousandEyes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've edited my review to try and make it more useful. Glassdoor may not support newline separation. If this comes up without newlines, pipe this through sed replacing * with two newlines. ThousandEyes is a pretty small company and to some it may be obvious who I am. In the interest of an open and honest review, hopefully to your benefit, I will not try to be overly generic. I'd also like to focus a bit more on the positives. I am a former employee and I was there for eleven months. In my absense there have been some positive changes from what I hear.

* The founders are tech savvy and sharp. Mohit gives good speeches. Ricardo is a bit of a networking wizard.

* The food is great. There are off days here and there, but they make a great effort to have good catered food.

* The office management staff is phenomenal. I miss a particularly warm smile every time I came into the office, possibly one of the best parts of my day.

* Generous stock options.

* I was once skeptical about pay, but it seems to be on par. You could probably make more at a non-startup, but either way you won't be making much with the insane cost of living in San Francisco. (50k in a normal city will offer a better quality of life than 100k in SF)

* Business is doing great: The customer list is incredible, as is the growth.

* Very fun offsites here and there. Overall, there's a decent community element between the employees.

* Interesting technical challenges. A lot of the problems ThousandEyes faces are somewhat unique, both internally and intrinsically imposed. I had some pretty interesting things to do while I was there. There were some dumb grunt workish jobs at times, but overall I was given a good bit of flexibility. I would propose writing an in-house solution and work on it all on my own at times, rather than be forced to use something out of the box that didn't quite fit.

* There's a high bar for code in some parts of the company. While it's annoying at times, I feel I really learned a lot by having such high standards put on what I was doing.

Cons

Now, on to the negatives.

* Culture of dishonesty: If a customer finds a major bug, it may be brushed off and fixed silently. If engineering finds a bug that affects customers and they don't know, it's silently fixed and no credits/notice is given, even for core functionality. Staff do not want to trust customers with the truth and feel that they can better earn their trust by hiding problems from them by lying. Staff may also not trust themselves for repercussions of their own bugs.

* Fishy use of J1 VISAs for full-time, non-intern employees from abroad. You are quite likely reading this as someone outside of the US and may not know what a J1 is. If you don't, please read up on J1 VISAs. ThousandEyes will generally submit an application for an H1B VISA. Unfortunately, the process sucks and many people don't get accepted. What's sketchy is that they follow it up with a J1 VISA application if the H1B VISA doesn't go through. H1B is for workers, J1 is very explictly for interns at most. ThousandEyes had had one intern in all of my time there, the rest were clearly full time employees. The J1 VISA employees at ThousandEyes often have to fill out forms saying what they learned. These are things they probably learned ten years ago. While immigration is difficult in the US, I say this because you need to be aware that there is a chance (I am not a lawyer) than if you are sponsored on a J1 VISA for a non-intern position in ThousandEyes, you are doing something illegal (as would be ThousandEyes). Furthermore, there's a chance that ThousandEyes, if busted, might send you back home with a very difficult time immigrating in the future. Maybe in this political climate that will never happen, I don't know. But new recruits are not told this as far as I know, and you should know because it may be a huge risk. If you are from abroad, please read up on US immigration, J1 VISAs, and H1B VISAs. One last thing. If you do come in on an H1B VISA, salary information is public. You can go online and search for the salaries of many of the ThousandEyes staff. Maybe you don't want to do this, that's fine. But you should be told because it is public and thus no secret. You can do the same thing for Google, Facebook, etc, if you want to.

* Not a very organic culture, discussions about the product often end up being told to go to off-topic areas. In particular, the VP of engineering will shoot down these conversations, but several in engineering are not very open minded. All in all, the culture at the dining table is pretty good, but when it comes to working it's not always the greatest mix.

* The engineering staff is a huge mix of cultures. Most people speak English as a second language. This is very nice for diversity, but there are some obvious communication difficulties. All and all, cultural differences seem to be handled quite well. I've made some great friends there. Still, communication can be difficult.

* Sales is in the same office and rarely stays around engineering for happy hours and such. There's a little bit of tension over their distance.Sales rarely stick around for lunch. Their turnover rate is very, very high (many gone in 3 months).

* While this may or may not be exactly true, many of the engineers have more education than experience. While this is not a problem in and of itself, there are some narrow minds there that take a while to open up. I would advise that they emphasize more on experience in the future, rather than pulling in PHD students without professional experience.

* After working around the product for eleven months, I was not impressed with it. It's helpful, but seems stop-gap. Feel free to open up a trial account and see for yourself how you feel about it.

* The product is very enterprise focused. You have to buy it in one-year contract terms. This upsets me because I'd like to use the paid product, but there's almost no way I'm going to sign a year-long contract to do that. You may or may not like enterprise-centric businesses, so keep in mind that in mind.

* All in all, it's the dishonesty that kills me. There are a lot of unhappy employees at ThousandEyes but they haven't left because of the difficulties in switching jobs over VISAs, or because they are in the greencard process. There are a lot of happy employees too, but I found that more of them had not had much prior work experience. It is my experience that there are many better companies in the area and in the US as a whole that you can work at. Places where the business is honest to its customers, where employees hear each other out, and where innovation is a bit more sensible. It's not a bad company, but it's not really good either. While there are many glowing reviews here, I recommend that you move along to a better place until there are significant changes at ThousandEyes. If some day they start openly sharing about their outages (and not other company's outages, which they use for publicity) and bugs, it may be a good sign things have changed. I do feel a bit attached and I like the company in many ways, but it has a long way to go, and unfortunately a lot of that work starts at the top.

Advice to Management

Emphasize on honesty. Consider moving past just enterprise markets.

"Get in where you fit in"

I have been working at ThousandEyes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my 15 year career thus far working across a broad spectrum of companies from the first dot-com era startups to Fortune 100 enterprises and everything in between – I have never worked with a such a down-to-earth group of folks possessing as much skill and talent as the team at ThousandEyes. And it’s quite evident, this was not by chance. It started from the top with the founders, who are deeply technical leaders with just as deep business savviness. They were directly involved in my interviewing process and made it quite clear, there is no room for ego here – Even if it comes with hard to find skillsets. To fit in you have to be highly intelligent, driven, and most importantly non-egotistical. This may sound simple, but there are very few who fit this criterion. You either get it, or you don’t…

Everybody is on the same page - From product development and engineering operations to information security, the teams here are doing things that no company has done before. And that innovation is happening at the speed of light. Customers already include the who’s who of the Fortune 500 and pretty much every high-tech logo that matters. Not to mention, the company is backed by the most prestigious VC firms in Silicon Valley.

Cons

Some team members lack previous work experience at highly-structured or well-known companies, which can make things difficult if you’re in a role that involves helping to mature the organization as a whole. But this is not unique to any start-up at this phase of it’s growth – So it comes with the territory.

Advice to Management

Do whatever it takes to preserve this culture and keep the a-holes out – All it takes is one bad apple. I am quite grateful to be able to contribute to the continued success of ThousandEyes and be a part of this amazing journey.