ThredUP Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

1 review

Engineer

5.0
James Reinhart

Pros
  • i met great people, the managers werent too bad as long as you did your job right (in 4 reviews)

• A great place to start a career--you will wear a lot of hats and learn things quickly (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely high turnover rate in Mechanicsburg warehouse (in 4 reviews)

• The point system is absurd and the pay is alright, but for the amount that you do it seems less than what you should get (in 4 reviews)

"Highly recommend the thredUP engineering team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ThredUP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I believe it's a great company for an engineer to work at. Their tech stack is great (Node/React, Rails, engineers are given a lot of autonomy regarding how to do their job, the engineering team itself has a lot of great people on it, and there are a lot of professional development opportunities (running point on projects, spearheading initiatives, helping out with architecture decisions, helping evolve the processes, etc.). thredUP has "Maker Days" as well (work from wherever you want on Tuesdays/Thursday) so that's a really nice way to break up the week and guarantee time of uninterrupted focus. I've been on the engineering team for 5+ years and I can honestly say I look forward to going into work every day.

Cons

The work-life balance is solid, but thredUP moves pretty quick, which can be hard to adjust to sometimes. They do a lot of testing to gather data about what direction to take certain parts of the product/business in so for those tests, it's a lot of build up / test / analyze / iterate / teardown. It's obviously not all testing though, most of the engineering team is focused on long term efforts such as de-coupling/architecture projects, product evolution, and marketing automation. Their compensation isn't the same as some of the bigger players in the market (Google, Facebook, etc.), but the stock has more upside and there's more opportunity to make an impact.

Advice to Management

The executive team is strong and very transparent so I honestly don't have any advice for them. They've had the same executive team for years (all three founders play prominent roles in the business) so that consistency is really nice.