Three Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Three CEO David Dyson
David Dyson

Pros
Cons
  • The only way we can deal with customer complaints is putting them on the phone to customer service which usually angers the customer more (in 12 reviews)

• Lack of transparency from senior management on the companies direction and a lack of trust (in 12 reviews)

"Great"

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Dagenham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Dagenham, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is good and there is also lots of help from staff when you first join the company and from the managers of course

Cons

The targets start of low but they get very high especially if there isn't enough staff during that month or there are people on holiday the targets can get to you

"USED to be a brilliant place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great vision of culture, some great people and leaders, wellness is important, ambitious

Cons

Power driven middle managers, lack of empathy, not prepared and struggling to maintain good staff in current climate

Advice to Management

Really need to reconsider middle management levels- B and C- too many and not the right 'fit' for what we preach to be

3. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maidenhead, England (UK)

Pros

Great work culture, cafe and a lively work environment
    The company is situated in a good location- easy access to train station by foot

Cons

Could probably introduce free breakfast once a week

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!! :)

5. "An excellent vibrant place to work."

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Croydon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Croydon, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They invest in people and try and do the right thing and the pay is competitive.

Cons

Some of the area managers and top bosses are not realistic in expectations and should try and do the job at grass roots level and show what good looks like.

6. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Three full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing drive and ambition - great atmosphere within the company - welcoming - friendly -

Cons

Incapable people being over promoted

Advice to Management

Continue to drive and push to being the best -

7. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at Three part-time (More than a year)

Pros

ideal for students wanting to make money, had lots of overtime available at other nearby stores, great management

Cons

no real promotion ladder, the same manager stays manager, pay rises are rare, only top sales persons valued

Advice to Management

management is great, always supportive if you're lacking when it comes to reaching targets,

8. "I was dismissed due to lack of training & discriminated against for my disability."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burton upon Trent, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burton upon Trent, England (UK)

Pros

Good if you have a decent manager

Cons

I started working at Three and was given very inadequate training. I spent the first 2 weeks shadowing because the computer system was down. I was heavily criticised for practically everything I did by a boss who only cared about sales. When the training system was up I was told I had to finish everything that day which gave me one afternoon which I was often dragged away to serve customers.

Due to this terrible training from the manager of the Burton on Trent store I made a number of errors such as not understanding that blackberry phones required a £5 surcharge, taking the wrong id, not asking at the start if a credit card was registered to the home address.

I was excellent in terms of sales and customer service but was unsupported by the store manager so these errors piled up and I was fired just before Christmas without the bonus that the store wouldn't have got if uni hadn't sold 3 broadband packages on the last day.

To add insult to injury after 5 months seeking work thanks to then dismissing me I have now recieved an aggressive letter demanding I repay a large chunk of my final salary.

Advice to Management

Investigate the management of the Burton on Trent store and

9. "experience"

Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Edgware, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Advisor in Edgware, England (UK)

I worked at Three part-time (More than a year)

Pros

gained valid experiences
    fun environment to work in interacted with various individuals

Cons

benefits were cut and lead to feeling demotivated over a period time as well as restricted opporunitites after a given time .

Advice to Management

n/a

10. "Systems are worthless"

Former Employee - Customer Relations in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Relations in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Three full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Three are based in an easily accessible city centre location in Glasgow and a lot of care has been taken to make this a comfortable place to work.

Some excellent and motivational tenured staff, particularly in grad bay environment.

A lot of fun to be had with little events to keep morale up like visits by Apple or giveaways.

The wage on a TUPE'd Three salary was good for the work (19-21k). All new starts are on 16k now under Capita with reduced time off the phones and a shorter lunch break.

Cons

Three's systems are beyond useless. They're the exact same systems used when the company launched in 2003 and no effort has been made to upgrade them. The support process is also stupidly convoluted. Even experienced staff struggle to find information they need which leads to a lot of misinformation and staff making things up because they sound right. They like to call this "thinking outside the box" when it's mostly educated guesswork.

Every aspect of using the systems is painful and antiquated. It makes no sense to be a forward thinking "technology focused" company all the while you're using software that was designed to run on Windows XP. As an example, if a customer has 5 contracts with Three you can't see them all on screen. You have to enter each account one by one as you can only access two accounts at a time max. This can lead to unnecessarily lengthy calls where the customer is demanding you check multiple accounts at once and you don't have the ability to do this quickly. Almost every customer ends up on the phone for over an hour and it's mostly the fault of the systems which every agent battle with daily.

The company was outsourced to Capita in February and a lot of the new hires are fresh out of high school with no experience. Stat targets were slashed and you're made to use a timer after every call to force you to wrap up faster despite there being a lot you have to do after call for Ofcom compliance. This leads to a lot of mistakes being made which leads to a lot of churn from staff dismissals. Previously in-house Three would protect you if you made an honest to God mistake but Capita Three has no empathy and will drop you in favour of hiring another 17 year old off the street.

Management is evasive and often refuse to take escalations. We're trained to immediately get a manager if requested but often the only option is a 48 hour callback which never happens. A lot of management have never been on the phones before and dodge you if you ask for advice or help because they don't know the answers.

No professionalism or empathy in some of the management and cliques are rife throughout. If your face doesn't fit or you're not a social butterfly then they'll find a reason to drop you or isolate you from your colleagues. A lot of common advisers who spy on you and tell management if you say anything "negative" so they can get a leg up. The headsets also record you at all times even if you're not in a call leading to a lot of paranoia. Some are dismissed for making jokes with friends between calls when nobody should be listening in to what is being said anyway. Forced positivity isn't good positivity.

No significant career opportunities under Capita unless you want to move down to Leeds. Since you're not technically a Three employee if you were outsourced, if you want to move up the Three ranks you have to apply externally with everyone else. The in-house Three intranet with internal positions is locked off to Capita Three staff so good luck finding out what positions you can apply for.

Advice to Management

Upgrade your systems to modern standard. It shouldn't take six months for staff to get to grips with the systems but that's the situation you have right now.

Realise the job is challenging and some people need more time to learn.

Don't fall into the trap of being another stat obsessed churn heavy call centre.

If staff aren't in a call don't eavesdrop on their conversations and punish staff for being themselves.

"Slowly reducing employee pay"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I have been working at Three (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice people to work with
    - Get to help people pick the right phone and or tablets for them.

Cons

- Lots of pressure to sell with some people pushed into misselling. Excessively high target causing people to lose their jobs.
    - Top management keep cutting wages
    - Operating systems make job extremely difficult
    - In big conferences, there is a big focus of customer service however the targets are so high that at the store level so selling is often the main prority.
    - Customers get irritated with customer support and shout at you.

Advice to Management

You will not get the most loved brand by 2021 if you keep pushing so much on sales and you do not invest in the way that customers interface with the company. The app needs to be more reliable. The sales associates need more powers to help the customer in the store. Different pricing over thew phone and in store confuses the customer.

You can tell us all how grateful you are for your employees but if you keep cutting our bonus and make them hard to get it doesn't feel like it.

Stop promising us new systems and then not delivering. It's obvious that you just don't care about making our job easier you just increase our target and expect us to do better.