Thrillist Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Thrillist Media Group Reviews

Updated Sep 9, 2019

Found 69 reviews

2.6
Thrillist Media Group CEO Ben Lerer (no image)
Ben Lerer
Pros
  • "Free Beer, crappy snacks, pto, discounts(in 7 reviews)

• "The editing is pretty laid-back, not forcing a lot of stylistic or generic criteria into your writing(in 6 reviews)

Cons

"Great company to work for"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group

Pros

Friendly co-workers, reasonable responsibilities, productive atmosphere. I enjoyed my time employed here. I felt valued as an employee and knew the company was a good one to work for.

Cons

I had to look for advancement elsewhere. I felt I needed a different challenge and couldn't find That within this company.

Thrillist Media Group2016-11-06
  2. "Fine"

Former Employee - Writer

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

talented people, good friends, good skills learned, great client relationships

Cons

poor management, lack of integrity

Thrillist Media Group2019-09-09
  3. "It was okay"

Former Employee - Journalist

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time

Pros

Fun office atmosphere, free food and drinks

Cons

Terrible management, unclear company directives

Thrillist Media Group2019-06-07
  4. "Eh"

Former Employee - Producer/Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice coworkers with good work/life balance.

Cons

Depressing lack of vision or focus on quality.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be like every other media company and use the talent you have.

Thrillist Media Group2019-05-22

"Rotten at the top, golden on the floor"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time

Pros

Some of the best and nicest and truly most talented folks you'll ever work with in the content industry.

Cons

Perhaps the worst management team I've ever encountered in my many years of production—the executives are largely absent a good deal of the time, then when they are involved in the work, they create untenable scenarios that blend mismanagement, micro-management, miscommunication and an overall lack of understanding of what their product even is. When talking to staff about what's working and what isn't—oh wait, they... don't even talk to staff. The execs communicate solely through email chains that don't state anything and set meetings without context, only to spring demand after demand on the producers, shooters, and editors, expecting them to jump when they say "jump." I've never worked with a group of executives that are more disconnected from what their edicts do to the floor staff and how damaging their complete lack of engagement with the staff does in terms of morale and retention. On multiple occasions, their asks sent team members into spirals of hysterics and anxiety due to how outrageous the asks themselves were, and I had to bring multiple colleagues back from the brink of quitting due to things like last minute changes after picture locking, or forcing operators to reshoot perfectly usable footage because they felt it didn't have the "right look". I was told that this is the 3rd set of executives in 2 years, and that these are by far the worst, and its only getting worse and worse for employees. It manifested itself immediately after my hiring wherein I was subject to such an intense and completely problematic day-after-day exposure to their ever-changing whims that the franchise I was in charge of suffered from the start. What's more, these are executives that are willing to pay $150/12hr to EDITORS, which is INSANE—do they know that this is well below NYS minimum wage? The abuses of power are so rampant here I'd need 10 review boxes just to get in everything I've seen over my time here.

Advice to Management

My advice to management: fire them. I've worked with hacks, and I've worked with micromanagers, but I've never worked with phonies and abusers of this high a caliber.

Thrillist Media Group2018-03-06

"Stay away from this sinking ship"

Former Employee - Writer in New York, NY

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Thrillist is a website and people work there. Sometimes people give you high fives.

Cons

Where to begin? Pay is low. Morale is low. The content is an absolute joke. There was a time when listing things on the Internet was an actual business model; no more. Ah, but don't worry - they have 'pivoted.' They are 'leveraging' their 'talent' to make videos now. You should work here if you've ever seen a commercial for Axe Body Spray and thought, "Yes. I want to live in that world." Everything everyone... else has said on here is true. Obviously except for the fake, vague posts meant to bring the rating of this sad place up a star. Anyone with any sense made moves to somewhere more respectable already. Work here if you're the sort of dude who would play the violin as the Titanic sank with a dullard's sense of duty. Don't work here if you still have hope.

Advice to Management

Dear Napoleon: You founded Thrillist with your bro. His shorts are short, but his hair is long. Who would have thought you could found a website just because your Dad founded a website? Wow, man! You broke the mold! Remember JackThreads? Ah. That was cool, bro. You totally merged content and commerce! Or, at least, you convinced some Germans that you did. They bought you for less than Wall... Mart paid for Bonobos. Remember when the writers tried to consolidate their measly scraps of power? You know, with the union? So they could pay rent? Those pesky writers. How dare they! Just because they made the thing you sell, doesn't mean they should have any say in anything! But they wanted to have a say. You didn't like that - did you, bro? You got in your helicopter and you blocked some reporters who asked you about it on Twitter. Cool, bro. One day, bro, you will look back on your life. When you do, bro, you'll remember I told you so. Your legacy is lists of cheeseburger joints in Roanoke. Thank you, bro. Thank you. :)

Thrillist Media Group2017-11-09

"A Lot Of Young People With Weird Expectations"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of room to grow and be aggressive about your growth. Speak up, come up with good ideas, send them to the right people and be smart about it and you can go far quickly.

Cons

Many very young and inexperienced people. The experienced people are often castoffs from bigger places and have some hilarious crippling professional problem. The unexperienced yet very senior people are remnants from a much smaller organization and while they've learned a lot by doing, don't have the operational or process training that comes from just working in bigger companies. That's why you see a lot of... what I imagine are very young people complaining here about some silly things. If you want to melt into a giant organization and have your hand held through endless procedures and forms to get even basic things done, try working for a big publisher! If you can deal with a little nepotism (which still exists at bigger places) some mild incompetence (also still exists!) and the feeling that nobody knows what they're doing (equally true of every company ever!), you can thrive. If you've got vision, push that vision and you can probably see some of it tested. If you just want to complain that the snacks aren't good enough... I dunno man. Try a different profession. Publishing ain't tech.

Advice to Management

You guys should have accepted the editorial union right away. Can't walk that back now. Open up your wallet and hire experienced senior people that didn't like flee the country for 10 years to escape a parrot smuggling charge or whatever.

Thrillist Media Group2017-08-25

"My time at Thrillist"

Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Thrillist Media Group for less than a year

Pros

Awesome vibe, cool people. Easy to enjoy and get along.

Cons

Crazy schedules and deadlines. Difficult to keep track of multiple projects

Thrillist Media Group2017-07-03

"No Thanks"

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group

Pros

free sandwiches sometimes, room temperature water

Cons

Ridiculous hours, low pay, no fun

Thrillist Media Group2017-06-23
  10. "Fun Office"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time

Pros

Very relaxed office, nice & smart people, cool perks

Cons

Cliquy/fratty at times, not a lot of growth for certain roles, long hours

Thrillist Media Group2017-04-13