Thrillist Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Ben Lerer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free Beer, crappy snacks, pto, discounts (in 7 reviews)

"My time at Thrillist"

Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I worked at Thrillist Media Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome vibe, cool people. Easy to enjoy and get along.

Cons

Crazy schedules and deadlines. Difficult to keep track of multiple projects

2. "No Thanks"

Pros

free sandwiches sometimes, room temperature water

Cons

Ridiculous hours, low pay, no fun

3. "Fun Office"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time

Pros

Very relaxed office, nice & smart people, cool perks

Cons

Cliquy/fratty at times, not a lot of growth for certain roles, long hours

"A waste of time and talent"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time

Pros

Awesome co-workers who are all on the same page about the awful management
    Free beer

Cons

Upper management is lost
    Zero transparency from one level to the next or across departments
    Constantly "changing direction" with zero reasoning, and then those changes in direction don't actually happen as management is unable to make firm decisions
    Expect to be ignored if people don't have answers
    Rather than focusing on being creative as you are promised, you will end up chasing arbitrary goals via clicks and likes on social media

Advice to Management

Either grow up or give up. Recognize the fact that the handful of employees you have left are trying to unionize because they want to make great content, not out of spite for your misguided and random decision-making. Follow the vision that got you here and not the Facebook algorithms.

"Temping"

Former Employee - Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at Thrillist Media Group (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice company overall, smart writers, great content.
    Cool atmosphere generally

Cons

Not a place for adults, very college dorm mentality, pranks and jokes

Advice to Management

Really pay attention to who works hard, not just the word of long term employees

"Dishonest, tactless, unprofessional"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free sunflower seeds. Free beer?

Cons

Management are those who've stuck around a long time and put up with ongoing BS. They do not manage, barely lead, and reinforce the general feeling of an inner circle of cronies and a bunch of outsiders. Open-floor plan affords no privacy. Work/life balance = atrocious. Culturally speaking the company's best days are clearly behind it, like an aging yuppie reading old emails it wrote drunk and thought were funny, but turned out not to be funny. Editorial grunts are underpaid and largely underappreciated, old-timers sit on the couch and laugh all day. Expect to be treated like you're expendable. Do not bother to overachieve, merit does not weigh in. Company is not well thought of outside its own delusional circle. All day you hear the sound of click, click, clique, click. Like high school mixed with middle school mixed with the worst parts of college. Do not trust most positive reviews, someone's probably been put up to it.

Advice to Management

Read a single article on how to manage people.

"Not Even Worth It To Just Fill Your Resume"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Frequent happy hours, but I'm an adult and need more.

Cons

It's a complete boys club. Friends get promoted and people who have been there the longest get to do whatever they want. I understand seniority, but you can't run around like a clown and then get a huge promotion for doing nothing while other people are more qualified.

Tons of gossip from management and used to manipulate you into thinking something isn't their doing, it's someone else creating the drama or making you work 10 hr days.

Zero direction. Thrillist doesn't have any clear direction because they promote their friends who have no idea what's going on in the industry. Things change daily and they don't even understand the consequences of their rash decision making.

Sometimes I thought the managers read Management 101 or Management For Dummies together. A lot of things they do are just to show their power or show they're being "leaders." Unnecessary and very odd tactics.

You can't try to change things. This company doesn't welcome anyone outside of their group because changing would require effort and the ability to reflect on their own wrongdoings. Only certain people have the ability to do that and it's not the management at Thrillist.

HR is useless.

Advice to Management

Promote the people who deserve the promotion. This company could really be something if you stopped promoting your friends. Listen to your employees when they tell you they're unhappy. Understand it requires a special skill set to be a manager and not everyone has that skill set. They can be perfectly good at their job, but just because they're good at their job doesn't mean they know how to manage a group of people. Especially stop promoting people who aren't good at their job.

8. "Great company to work for"

Pros

Friendly co-workers, reasonable responsibilities, productive atmosphere. I enjoyed my time employed here. I felt valued as an employee and knew the company was a good one to work for.

Cons

I had to look for advancement elsewhere. I felt I needed a different challenge and couldn't find That within this company.

9. "Best company to work for!"

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group (More than a year)

Pros

I work with an amazing team who care about the work just as much as I do, always willing to pitch in and share ideas. For awhile I thought the working hours were 9am to 7pm...turns out that's when the doors to the office open and close. At our last company call the President was very clear that they care more about the work getting done so if you get in early and leave early, or get in later and leave later, as long as your work gets done, that's all they really care about.

While this company isn't really a startup anymore (they've been around 11 years now), it still feels like it is because everyone sits in an open space (except for HR which is understandable). They offer standing desks, yoga balls for chairs, the executive team sits out on the floor with everyone else, you can wear whatever you feel comfortable in (it's a casual environment), managers encourage their employees to share their ideas, and they offer cool benefits like Whiskey Wednesdays and Thirsty Thursdays.

Most importantly, there's room to grow! The company has grown tremendously which afforded many employees the opportunity to be promoted internally or move across departments. In the 2+ years I've been here, I've been promoted twice (hard work pays off) and I know I'm in control of my own career path (unlike other places where they dictate where you will go next or what you're allowed to do).

Cons

I wish there was a learning and development team (they were responsible for providing trainings to employees at my last job) but it's not the end of the world because my manager has offered to send me to seminars outside of work.

"Fantastic People"

Pros

Great people, amazing perks, fun events, inclusive office culture. Working at a media outlet that promotes fun and having a good time is indeed fun and a good time.

Cons

Long hours, media culture, at times cliquey atmosphere. Some of the decisions made by management/HR seem to have been haphazard and random, and it feels that at times they pick favorite employees based on merits other than work and move forward with them.