Thrillist Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 23, 2017

1.0
Ben Lerer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free Beer, crappy snacks, pto, discounts (in 7 reviews)

1. "No Thanks"

Pros

free sandwiches sometimes, room temperature water

Cons

Ridiculous hours, low pay, no fun

"A waste of time and talent"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time

Pros

Awesome co-workers who are all on the same page about the awful management
    Free beer

Cons

Upper management is lost
    Zero transparency from one level to the next or across departments
    Constantly "changing direction" with zero reasoning, and then those changes in direction don't actually happen as management is unable to make firm decisions
    Expect to be ignored if people don't have answers
    Rather than focusing on being creative as you are promised, you will end up chasing arbitrary goals via clicks and likes on social media

Advice to Management

Either grow up or give up. Recognize the fact that the handful of employees you have left are trying to unionize because they want to make great content, not out of spite for your misguided and random decision-making. Follow the vision that got you here and not the Facebook algorithms.

"Dishonest, tactless, unprofessional"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free sunflower seeds. Free beer?

Cons

Management are those who've stuck around a long time and put up with ongoing BS. They do not manage, barely lead, and reinforce the general feeling of an inner circle of cronies and a bunch of outsiders. Open-floor plan affords no privacy. Work/life balance = atrocious. Culturally speaking the company's best days are clearly behind it, like an aging yuppie reading old emails it wrote drunk and thought were funny, but turned out not to be funny. Editorial grunts are underpaid and largely underappreciated, old-timers sit on the couch and laugh all day. Expect to be treated like you're expendable. Do not bother to overachieve, merit does not weigh in. Company is not well thought of outside its own delusional circle. All day you hear the sound of click, click, clique, click. Like high school mixed with middle school mixed with the worst parts of college. Do not trust most positive reviews, someone's probably been put up to it.

Advice to Management

Read a single article on how to manage people.

"Not Even Worth It To Just Fill Your Resume"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Frequent happy hours, but I'm an adult and need more.

Cons

It's a complete boys club. Friends get promoted and people who have been there the longest get to do whatever they want. I understand seniority, but you can't run around like a clown and then get a huge promotion for doing nothing while other people are more qualified.

Tons of gossip from management and used to manipulate you into thinking something isn't their doing, it's someone else creating the drama or making you work 10 hr days.

Zero direction. Thrillist doesn't have any clear direction because they promote their friends who have no idea what's going on in the industry. Things change daily and they don't even understand the consequences of their rash decision making.

Sometimes I thought the managers read Management 101 or Management For Dummies together. A lot of things they do are just to show their power or show they're being "leaders." Unnecessary and very odd tactics.

You can't try to change things. This company doesn't welcome anyone outside of their group because changing would require effort and the ability to reflect on their own wrongdoings. Only certain people have the ability to do that and it's not the management at Thrillist.

HR is useless.

Advice to Management

Promote the people who deserve the promotion. This company could really be something if you stopped promoting your friends. Listen to your employees when they tell you they're unhappy. Understand it requires a special skill set to be a manager and not everyone has that skill set. They can be perfectly good at their job, but just because they're good at their job doesn't mean they know how to manage a group of people. Especially stop promoting people who aren't good at their job.

"Horrible experience, and one of the most unprofessional places I have ever worked"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A casual office atmosphere that quickly becomes a con. Cool coworkers who share your professional despair and understand the horrors of working for this company.

Free mediocre snacks and happy hour Wednesdays, both of which they use to try and cover up the numerous professional shortcomings.

Cons

There is zero room for advancement.

There is zero corporate organization.

Indecisiveness and general lack of professional action.

90 percent of the meetings at this company do not accomplish a THING. There are no agendas. There are no plans. You sit in a room, someone tells a few semi-inappropriate jokes, you pretend to be productive, and then you leave.

Their "business model" will change multiple times a month/year.

The 401(k) is a joke.

It is NOT a professional environment. It is NOT a welcoming environment.

When you first start working here, it feels more like freshman year of high school than it does a job.

Inappropriate comments in the workplace is a norm. Misogynistic music blasting from the company speakers during a workday is a norm.

Bottom line is: if you care about your career, or would like to work in a place you'd enjoy going to every day, DO NOT work at this company. From the outside, it SEEMS like a dream job. But behind the scenes it is a really, really bad place to work. Stay away.

Advice to Management

Find new management.

"deny deny deny"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

free drinks and happy hour wednesdays. What used to be good snacks is now just ritz crackers and pretzels. Making connections with other team members and free clothes that jackthreads provides.

Cons

There is absolutely no growth movement and upper management doesn't care about the hard work you put into the company. They do frequent lay offs and lay off those who are a true asset to the company but keep the most rudest, incompetent and most indolent workers. They are quick to blame others or point fingers for their mistakes and do not own up to anything. CEO for jackthreads has no idea what he is talking about in their meetings and beats around the bush when asked serious questions about the company outlook. Turnover rate is really high so its either you get laid off within a few months or 2-3 years or people are just quitting for a company with better work standards.

This place is very clique as well! SO good luck trying to fit in.

Advice to Management

you have a lot to work on in terms of company morale, team building, management, literally...everything.

"Spent a little over two years here an truly feel like I wasted time in my career."

Former Employee - Tech in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tech in New York, NY

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent snacks, really cool coworkers. Interesting work if you're proactive enough to look for it. Cool office - lots of beer and alcohol if you're into drinking more than you are personal growth.

Cons

Spent a little over two years here an truly feel like I wasted time in my career. No autonomy here and lots of indecisiveness. We would all work really hard on a particular project, feature or sprint cycle and then plans will get scrapped only after successful prototypes and frameworks have been presented. They will change directions with very little heads up and then implement deadlines that will surely result in a buddy product. Bad communication and very little transparency with important things company-wide.

Lots of cliques here and if you're not friends with them then they will make sure you feel left out. I'm not here to make friends but it would be nice to feel welcomed when you're spending more time here then you are with friends and family.

Few people that deserve it are rewarded here. Some departments are a joke and you wonder how these people get hired. I loved my first few months here but then it all went downhill fast.

Advice to Management

You've got a lot of work to do.

"One of the worst companies I have worked for"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the casual environment and some of the people. The location of the office in Soho was a plus and easy to get to from the subway.

Cons

- Frat house
     - Lack of knowledge
     - Immature CEO who does not know how to run a company
     - No ability to make your own decisions
     - You will not learn anything

"No Work Life Balance"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free beer, snacks, coffee........after you read the cons these pros won't matter

great place if you're straight out of college and don't want to let go of the frat scene

Cons

I was hired on the assumption that it was a 9-5 with flexible hours....I found out it was more of a ...we're flexible as long as you work all the time every day all week and weekend...oh and here is some free booze to ease the pain of not seeing your loved ones. Workload and hours were absurd for the pay. The place was ran more like a frat house with the word Bro being called out every 5 seconds.
    Horrible insurance and extremely expensive. No 401k match and they don't pay for vacation even though I was told they do.

Advice to Management

You need more people if you want more work done, people have lives outside of the office and need to be able to have them

"AVOID"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time

Pros

Honestly, I can't think of any major pros that I haven't found in any other cool startup-y office I've seen.

Cons

Majorly cliquey, management is horrible and has absolutely no direction. Any two consecutive all call meetings have a totally different feel: seems like the CEO is just really good at BSing these meetings no matter what the current state of the company is. Seen them go through multiple layoffs without any acknowledgement from the management. Also it seems like people are promoted not on a merit basis just looking at how competent the managers are (NOT AT ALL). This isn't even based on my own experience but also my friends at the company as well. That's why turnover is so high! AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Advice to Management

I get the vibe you're trying to achieve--the cool startup environment-- but it's not working. More training for your managers would help a lot.