Thrillist Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Thrillist Media Group Reviews

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ben Lerer

Pros
  • Consistent happy hours to lighten the mood and add to the fun environment (in 7 reviews)

• Free Beer, crappy snacks, pto, discounts (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is not so great (in 7 reviews)

• Way too laid back, upper management is a complete joke (in 10 reviews)

1. "Interface Developer"

Former Employee - Interface Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Interface Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Thrillist Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working on the Thrillist Tech Team was one of the best decisions I have ever made. The team is extremely talented, smart, and fun to be around. People are warm and welcoming, always willing to help out when you are stuck on a problem. You are writing code from day one that is being deployed into production. Hacker Fridays every other week to work on side projects

Cons

I had a great experience at Thrillist - no cons!

Advice to Management

Work hard to keep the culture alive, it is a crucial part of the company and the tech team especially.

2. "Thrillist is THE place to work!"

Former Intern - Events & Promotions in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Events & Promotions in New York, NY

I worked at Thrillist Media Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

really cool, smart, professional and experienced people.

Cons

not much to say for cons - i loved my experience at thrillist

3. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Thrillist Media Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friends, relaxed atmosphere, great company parties. Customer service is a tight knit group. Everyone is welcoming and willing to help each other out. I worked during the Christmas season and it was intense. They're really busy with calls and chats, and I felt overwhelmed at times. If I felt I needed help, I was always able to find a shoulder to cry on or a more experience CSR to give me advice! I loved my time here. This job is great for a college kid looking for good hours and money.

Cons

There's not much opportunity for growth within the company, though I was able to apply what I learned at my full time job.

Advice to Management

Be more clear about the hierarchy of the office. CSR IIs help the CSR Is with the day to day, tier two (upset client) calls, not the office executives. I feel like as lon as people know who to go to and for what/when, people would succeed more easily!

4. "Tons of fun and a solid experience"

Former Intern - Web Applications Developer in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Web Applications Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Thrillist Media Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely smart developers who are constantly trying to learn and further their knowledge. The entire tech team is close and everyone knows each other. Consistent happy hours to lighten the mood and add to the fun environment.

Cons

The staff is young, so the atmosphere reflects that. This can be considered bad, if you hate fun.

"Internship"

I worked at Thrillist Media Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Work Environment
    Valuable Connections
    Plenty Of Opportunity To Learn

Cons

No Pay
    Sometimes Too Loud
    Little Guidance

Advice to Management

Offer the interns some kind of compensation, or introduce a fellowship program. Make slightly more effort to expose the interns to real-life marketable skills as opposed to whatever happens to pop up that day.

6. "TMG Tech is incredible."

Current Employee - Tech in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tech in New York, NY

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

really smart people slinging hundreds of lines of nearly flawless code, fast-paced environment, tons of opportunity to advance. tech has a huge commitment to writing stable code that isn't so precious as to be called "craft."

Cons

tech kegerator often has substandard beer compared to fifth floor. lines for company lunches can be long. employee discount for jackthreads makes it too easy to buy stuff.

Advice to Management

keep it coming!

7. "Such an educational and inspiring experience..."

Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started off working at Thrillist Media Group as an entry-level developer. Over the course of the year, I developed great friendships and learned so much from my peers. This place taught me how to be a great developer.

There are opportunities to use a lot of new technologies here. The work environment is a great team effort, and everyone's expertise is utilized.

Also, there are many after-work activities. My superiors are very mindful of our personal needs. I never feel stressed at this job.

Cons

Sometimes you feel like eat too much bacon, lol.

"Not once was there a day I wasn't ecstatic to go to work at Thrillist."

I worked at Thrillist Media Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome Company Culture, No BS Content, Very Often People Are Promoted

Cons

The company is growing rapidly, so it's starting to get more difficult to keep up with all of your co-workers are.

9. "Great company to work for"

Pros

Friendly co-workers, reasonable responsibilities, productive atmosphere. I enjoyed my time employed here. I felt valued as an employee and knew the company was a good one to work for.

Cons

I had to look for advancement elsewhere. I felt I needed a different challenge and couldn't find That within this company.

10. "Best company to work for!"

I have been working at Thrillist Media Group (More than a year)

Pros

I work with an amazing team who care about the work just as much as I do, always willing to pitch in and share ideas. For awhile I thought the working hours were 9am to 7pm...turns out that's when the doors to the office open and close. At our last company call the President was very clear that they care more about the work getting done so if you get in early and leave early, or get in later and leave later, as long as your work gets done, that's all they really care about.

While this company isn't really a startup anymore (they've been around 11 years now), it still feels like it is because everyone sits in an open space (except for HR which is understandable). They offer standing desks, yoga balls for chairs, the executive team sits out on the floor with everyone else, you can wear whatever you feel comfortable in (it's a casual environment), managers encourage their employees to share their ideas, and they offer cool benefits like Whiskey Wednesdays and Thirsty Thursdays.

Most importantly, there's room to grow! The company has grown tremendously which afforded many employees the opportunity to be promoted internally or move across departments. In the 2+ years I've been here, I've been promoted twice (hard work pays off) and I know I'm in control of my own career path (unlike other places where they dictate where you will go next or what you're allowed to do).

Cons

I wish there was a learning and development team (they were responsible for providing trainings to employees at my last job) but it's not the end of the world because my manager has offered to send me to seminars outside of work.