KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Thumbtack

Is this your company?

Thumbtack

Add a Review

Thumbtack Employee Reviews about "401k matching"

Updated Dec 23, 2020

Found 20 of over 407 reviews

4.0
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
  • "Company really cares about employee welfare and work life balance(in 37 reviews)

• "The in-house culinary team (though they were laid off)(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "As the company grows there are also some growing pains(in 25 reviews)

• "They don't offer any 401K matching(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Thumbtack and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "401k matching"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

An amazing company to work for!

Sep 29, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. The level of transparency at the company in terms of how decisions are made, or how well the company is doing or not doing is a refreshing change as compared to my previous experience working at a large tech firm 2. There is a culture of data driven decision making that permeates the entire company 3. As a senior engineer, I have also noticed that people here are open to the idea of making large and radical changes, assuming you can build consensus 4. Pre-covid, TacKitchen, Thumbtack's in house culinary operation was amazing, and made people really want to come into the office 5. Colleagues & management are friendly and approachable, creating a very collaborative culture

Cons

1. Culture of iterating on experiments quickly, sometimes leads to more bugs in production 2. Being a startup, you don't have as many benefits (e.g 401k match) as some of the big tech firms 3. Can be a con to some: It's a fast paced environment, even though management is not necessarily breathing down your neck

Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate this review, and you! You've made some great points and we appreciate you taking the time to let us and others know your thoughts. We're so glad decisions have felt transparent and management has been approachable as we strive to have a safe culture for employees here at Thumbtack. We welcome all feedback and thank you for your honesty in what you believe could improve. We're always working to be better and feedback from our employees helps us to do this. Lastly, we definitely agree that Tackafe and TacKitchen are truly missed each day!

2. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Thumbtack Review - creative, huh?

Dec 23, 2020 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have been at Thumbtack for less than 1 year (similar to many other TT-ers). I have never been to the office, but I hear there was an amazing culture pre-Covid. The company is pretty spread out already with teams in SF, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and the Philippines. Based on hiring since Covid started, I would be surprised to see a strong move to have everyone back in an office post covid. Though, I do think that there will still be a majority of employees working a reasonable amount of time in an office with exceptions for roles that can largely be done remotely (engineering comes to mind). There have been leadership role hires outside the Bay, which seems to have been rare (non-existent) pre-Covid. This year was a rollercoaster for the company, but luckily things seem to be looking good going into the end of the year. People are optimistic about the future, and there are a lot of new, strong ICs and Leaders that joined to help continue the current momentum into the new year and beyond. Pros: - Overall the people at Thumbtack are smart and kind. - The people team really does try to create an awesome culture (even while working remotely). - Leadership at the highest levels seems aligned and focused, with clear goals in mind. - There is a lot of freedom to try things and experiment, as well as own your area of the product. - TT Bucks, Internet, Phone Reimbursement, Good comp - Remote events show that the people at TT also have skills outside of work (singers, poets, chefs, athletes, overall musicians - people are crazy talented) - The work on my team is interesting, the problems are hard, and the data are actually quite clean (not the dumpster fire of most companies) - so the opportunities are large.

Cons

Cons: - There are a lot of new people, and (like a lot of other startups) also reasonably high attrition, which can make it hard to move in an aligned direction and know where everything is to help move together. Some TT-ers seem to still be holding hard feelings from layoffs earlier this year. - There are a lot of things that aren't figured out or haven't been built that you might expect a company that has been around for 12 years to have already figured out. Why this is the case - could be related to attrition - there is a lot of poaching of TT talent, but I am truly not sure. Could be that the problems are hard - yea, they are, but I don't totally buy that... - Note: Many of these projects seem to be on the roadmap, but from my observation, short-term wins often seem to take priority over these lengthy investments. In the remote world, my view isn't super far into what other teams are working on. - I have been here almost a year and have not once had a talk about growth or a performance review from my manager. Potentially folks being overlooked due to not having these conversations also leads to attrition? - No 401k match

Social Media Support Manager

We’re so glad you joined our team to help us ride out the rest of this rollercoaster of a year. We have had to adjust our culture to evolve with the current remote state. We truly appreciate that our teams have been making the most of it and working to stay connected while being apart. It’s been amazing to see so many of our team members share their many individual talents and help us to see growth this past year. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us and we’ll be passing your feedback along. We always suggest working with your manager and bring up any concerns you may have about growth and performance opportunities here at Thumbtack. We value the work you’ve been doing to help us grow and we look forward to working with you in the year ahead.

3. What people are saying about Thumbtack

Join the conversation on
      Join the conversation on
    4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst place for mid-senior people to grow

May 18, 2020 - Product
      Business Outlook

Pros

Robust infrastructure to support new product launches Detailed documentations for new hires to get hands on quickly

Cons

*Worst place for mid-senior people to grow* Thumbtack is great for new grads to learn and grow but not for mid-senior people. Overall, Thumbtack SUFFERS FROM HIRING SENIOR PEOPLE for all teams. 75% of my teams was at my level. 25% was below me. There were no seniors above my level except my manager. Managers spent more time on managing up and judging you based on limited knowledge. You would think you could learn from XFN teams but after just a few months, half of the senior people from XFM teams left. What a coincidence! *Unfair evaluation + non-competitive pay* The 360 performance review was completely unfair. Managers ignored XFN teams say about you and made ratings based on pre-judgement. There were no salary raise + no bonus + no 401k match. I would SUGGEST incoming new hires NEGOTIATE YOUR BASE SALARY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Because you had no chance to raise your pay unless getting promoted. That’s another reason why the average tenure at Thumbtack is less than 2 years. *How Thumbtack lose top talents during layoff* 5-minutes Zoom layoff message from our CEO Marco marked the ending of ~250 employees life with Thumbtack. Everyone understood the difficult times Thumbtack went through. However, the 250 employees had no individual 1:1 with their HR partner or senior leaders to know specific reasons but forcing to face a lockout screen in front of them. This poorly handled layoff message not only made the talents you laid off NEVER WANT TO CONSIDER THUMBTACK AGAIN but also give survivors a big cue to start to look for new opportunities ASAP. Oh forgot to say, the revenue went up in 10 days since the layoff. Are we really running out of the $150m money received 9 months ago? *Less feeling like a family” After laying off, my team never hosted a goodbye party for us. My manager also didn’t call me to explain what has happened. Totally echo the comment below “Thumbtack laid off ~250 employees as a result of the covid pandemic. One week after, promotions of the remaining employees started trickling in on linkedin. Downright UNETHICAL and INSENSITIVE while a number of us are still reeling from the job loss.” Goodbye Thumbtack. Good luck!

16 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We understand your frustration and are truly grateful for all of the hard work you poured into your position with us. We also really appreciate this detailed feedback as it can help our company improve. We most certainly want our team members to feel that they are being compensated appropriately and are able to grow and develop at any level. Saying goodbye to 250 team members was an incredibly difficult decision and one that happened because of the impact of COVID-19 on our business. Having to do it remotely made it even harder, and I'm sorry to hear that it had this impact on you. We truly wish you the best in all of your future endeavors.

5. 5.0

Best Company I've ever worked for

Oct 9, 2019 - Account Executive in Draper, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits here are unheard of. Thumbtack takes care of their employees & does a great job at protecting the special culture they have created here. It's a breath of fresh air waking up & being excited to go to work. The product is awesome and is a very transactional sales process.

Cons

As of now there isn't a 401k match. That's literally the only con I can think of.

Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for this wonderful review! We will continue to work to create a positive environment that you enjoy coming to each day. And we've noted that 401k feedback!

6. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Honest, Ethical Company

Sep 16, 2019 - Software Engineer(Internship) in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working at Thumbtack, I never met anyone who seemed unhappy. It was a company full of sharp minds taking on a difficult problem, and everyone was bringing their full self to their projects

Cons

They don't offer any 401K matching

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Getting to Done

Apr 5, 2016 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic place to work! The team is very cohesive, everyone is on the same page, all working together towards a single mission: helping customer get to done. There's a strong sense of impact on the company, team, and individual level which motivates you to continue delivering great work. Each individual is empowered to make decisions on how to tackle challenging problems. The focus is not only on company growth but also on individual growth and development. Best of all, an in-house culinary team making delicious and nutritious meals every day!

Cons

For engineering, some grunt work involved in revamping old code to be cleaner and more efficient, although this itself is a good learning opportunity. In general, culture is starting to shift due to the fast growth (employee-wise), e.g. engineering citizenship in tackling the not-so-popular work is mostly done by the "long-timers" and not the newcomers, fading participation in brown bags and workshops. Still hoping for 401K matching, though it is mostly a perk at public companies (and not startups).

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Great if you don't work in product

Jul 2, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall company culture is very fun and loving. You'll meet smart, interesting, and fun people. It feels like family. The meals are top rated. Thumbtack leadership makes an effort to better itself and the company. You'll actually see exec involved and participating in the office. Since there's a lot of build and do, you'll get the opportunity to work on ground breaking projects.

Cons

No 401k matching. Worklife balance isn't great, you can expect Slack and email notifications through the night and weekend. The engineering, product, and design cultures aren't well aligned. Engineering tends to get highest precedent. The product development process is still in progress. The day to day working experience is intense because of the EPD culture of urgency and many meetings. Decision making at every stage of product is heavily dependent on committee decisions amongst product management. There is no career development framework or explicit role definition. Although the culture values transparency, management often lacks transparency. Not enough headcount.

4 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

This is concerning to hear as we try to be as transparent as possible throughout the interview and on boarding processes. We strive to ensure that everyone feels challenged and motivated within the roles. Thanks for sharing your experience; our Product Team Management has been notified of your feedback.

9. 5.0

Amazing Culture

Feb 15, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked in high pressure and aggressive companies in the past, and after my first week at Thumbtack, my shoulders started to relax, my head lifted, and I could smile again. Employees are truly happy, kind, and great to work with. The in-house culinary team is absolutely incredible. Friends from other companies frequently ask to "stop-by and have lunch." Executives truly care about building a thoughtful product.

Cons

While the benefits are great (health insurance with no monthly premium, phone reimbursement, and delicious food) they could look to match other companies with perks like a fitness reimbursement, fertility benefits, and 401K match. Not deal breakers for the great work experience in my book, but I do miss those benefits a bit.

Social Media Support Manager

We love the food too, it’s delicious. Being able to relax after your first week is always a plus. We’re so glad you’re smiling again!

10. 5.0

Amazing company!

Mar 8, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

So many! - Great people. Made so many friends since joining last year. Been happy with my immediate coworkers and my manager - Great benefits (the standard stuff+conference budget, education stipend, phone reimbursement, credit to spend on Thumbtack etc.) - Amazing food three times a day - Top of market compensation - Inclusive and thoughtful culture - Convenient office location - Lots of opportunity to have a big impact on the company. Recognition when you do make it.

Cons

- (Natural) uncertainty that comes with a start up that is still figuring it out - No 401K match - Health insurance could be even better with a lower deductible - No performance bonuses at this point

11. 5.0
      Current Employee

Thumbtack is such an amazing place to work!

Dec 3, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have so many pros when thinking about my experience so far at Thumbtack. Below are a few that stand out when I reflect on my time here: - A collaborative, open-minded culture - Humble, intelligent, and kind coworkers - Meaningful work -- an opportunity to help small businesses grow and solve super complex yet interesting challenges - An incredible culinary team that prepares amazing food and meals for Thumbtack employees - A good work / life balance - Transparent management

Cons

No 401k matching offered at the moment and more people need to know about and use Thumbtack! Overall, I have so many pros when thinking about my time at this company and so very few cons -- it is an incredible place to work!

1 person found this review helpful