Thumbtack Reviews | Glassdoor

Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "The changes feel positive but there are some growing pains and cultural shifts" (in 18 reviews)

• "For instance, no 401K matching etc" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Best Job Ever!"

Current Employee - Marketplace Trust and Safety Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many perks that I can't even keep track of them. There is a real sense of community at Thumbtack, and anywhere you go, you will feel very welcome.

Cons

Because the environment is very friendly, you have to make sure you're still remaining professional. It's easy to get sucked into the camaraderie, and forget where you are.

Advice to Management

As someone who has worked in a few departments at Thumbtack, the attention to career development changes depending on the department. It would be nice to be able to have the same attention to career development and advancement, no matter what department you're in.

Sep 12, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with us. Equal career development across all departments is something we strive for. We want to ensure that everyone feels challenged... More

"There are some issues with the cultures that go unnoticed from the inside"

I worked at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I'm normally not really a big fan of the free food perk, but at Thumbtack, the culinary team really outdoes itself compare to the other companies.
    - The company makes an effort to be respectful towards LGBT employees.
    - You realize how much impact you have when you look at the changing lives of independent professionals who use Thumbtack.

Cons

- Remember that awkward scene in the movie "Social Network", where Zuckerberg wears his headphone on, and nobody is allowed to approach him because he's in "the zone". Well someone at Thumbtack thought it was cool and turned that into a policy. Now it becomes the norm to have to message the coworker sitting right next to you to ask a question, because they wear their headphones on.
    - At some point, someone pointed out that employees should clean after themselves and not leave their mugs behind. Nothing wrong with that, but suddenly several employees started jumping the bandwagon, then we'd regularly see some public shaming on Slack, with attached pictures of unattended mugs. To me that's just weird.

Advice to Management

- Pay attention to what's happening to the culture.

Sep 12, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

We're incredibly sorry to hear this was your experience and appreciate you taking the time to voice it. Company culture is important. We want to hear when it's working and when it's not. We've shared... More

3. "A Wonderful Place to Work"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The environment of mutual help that is beneficial for engineers to ramp up and keep learning
    2. A fast growing middle-size company with more opportunities to make impacts
    3. Nice food and WLB

Cons

We could do a little bit better in brand recognition

4. "Great Company!!!"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

Fantastic place to work with great perks and great culture.

Cons

can be hard to advance your career

"Pro services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great benefits, free food, free open bars (sometimes) and great equipment

Cons

Product changes are not communicated as frequent. Platform is not user friendly.

Sep 19, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Pro Services is a hard-working department and greatly impacts professionals' success on our platform. We thank you for being a team member. As for communicating product changes - we hear you. Our... More

6. "Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing team, very welcoming and energetic workplace, amazing product to be working on

Cons

I have no complaints about working at Thumbtack

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

7. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

1. People here are friendly and nice to work with.
    2. The company is still a start up, which means there are tons of oppurtunities to get touch in lots of cores of the company.
     3. I think here you get very good work/life balance. Of course you have work load, but you can still have family time.
    4. The food worth mentioning is that the menu get updated everyday!

Cons

The company is not big, which means there's only 1 food count.

8. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people + mission is what makes Thumbtack amazing! Not only are we helping the lives of our customers and small to medium size business owners, but we also have the opportunity to work side by side with the best people around. You have the opportunity to learn and grow while making a difference at the same time.

Cons

None at this time.

9. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

Strong engineering team and humble culture.

Cons

Legacy stack has yet to be replaced

10. "Great Experience So Far"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to drive significant impact towards a clear and tangible mission. Local services and the gig economy are going to be a huge space in the years to come.

Transparency and accessibility of leadership team. CEO/VP of Product will regularly sit in experiment reviews, product reviews, and sometimes even just routine team meetings.

Humble and compassionate coworkers. Our recruiting process does a rigorous job in screening for both technical and cultural fit.

Ambition and drive to do something that hasn’t been done. It’s been said multiple times, but we’re not trying to make micro adjustments to existing technological solutions. We’re trying to shoot the moon and build something radically different.

Cons

Codebase is nearing on 10 years now, so we need to be more deliberate in how we trade off tech debt with product development.

Advice to Management

I appreciate how you make an effort to bring up and address the less palatable topics at Q&A.