Thumbtack Reviews

Updated May 2, 2021

3.9
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
  • "Company really cares about employee welfare and work life balance(in 37 reviews)

• "The in-house culinary team (though they were laid off)(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "As the company grows there are also some growing pains(in 25 reviews)

• "They don't offer any 401K matching(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

Positive so far!

May 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of cross-functional collaboration - Innovation is encouraged - Continual opportunities to provide leadership with feedback - Newly refreshed perks to balance Remote work life. Also, we’re able to stay remote after pandemic subsides.

Cons

- can be meeting heavy, have to carve time in calendar to get actual work done - growing pains, so 1:1 time with manager isn’t as frequent as it used to be

Social Media Support Manager

We're happy to hear you are enjoying the decision to continue working from home. Our goals are to always collaborate and listen to feedback. Thank you for writing this review and for all the hard work.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Thumbtack is the best employer to work for!

Mar 2, 2021 - Pro Success Coach in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Each and every day I am incredibly grateful to be employed through Thumbtack, as I can honestly say Thumbtack has been the best company to work for! As a small business owner myself, I absolutely love coaching pros on how to optimize their success on the platform. It's super rewarding to know that I'm helping business owners take their business to that next level! A healthy work-life balance is also super important to me. Thumbtack provides us with a good amount of PTO days, Holidays, and amazing benefits that allow me to maintain that ideal work-life balance. I love how challenging the work environment is! Thumbtack continues to push me to think outside the box, consider different perspectives, and constantly level-up on all aspects of life! And of course, the people I work with are all amazing, real-genuine people who contribute to the culture in a positive way! If you get the opportunity, I would definitely recommend working for Thumbtack!

Cons

I miss working in-office and interacting in-person with all my co-workers and having our culinary team create amazing meals for us. But also incredibly grateful for the opportunity to work from home during these challenging times.

2 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

Wow, chills! Thumbtack really is the BEST. Thank you for this amazing review and the details you shared about day-to-day life at Thumbtack. We really appreciate all the hard work you put into your job each and every day. We're so lucky to have employees like you. :)

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work full of mission-driven, intellectual people

Dec 23, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack is a really great company with a very strong culture and an obsessive focus on improving itself. Everyone from the engineers to the recruiters to the operations teams are approachable, curious, humble, dedicated to learning, and fun to talk with. The product makes a difference in people's lives and the opportunity is huge, which makes the environment exciting and the work satisfying. Decisions from hires to product changes to ad buys are made in a very thoughtful, rigorous manner, but bad decisions are owned up to and abandoned quickly. Very little ego or politics within the company, as everyone seems committed to making the best decisions to help the team, and working hard to make that decision making process as analytically rigorous and free from bias as possible. As a start up there are many opportunities for team members to contribute and expand their horizons and leadership offers support for people to figure out and implement new things. I love coming to work here.

Cons

The relentlessly thoughtful decision making process means that the company can move more slowly than it perhaps should at times. Engineer hiring has proven to be a major bottleneck due to absurdly high standards for new hires. As a result, teams that could get by with less than world-class engineers are left without any engineering resources at all. Also as a result the product has simple, glaring flaws that go left unaddressed, and there are clearly areas of the company set up years ago that have been given no thought in a while as attention is focused elsewhere. Huge opportunity for new hires to fix these things and help this company realize its potential.

175 people found this review helpful
    4. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Feb 22, 2021 - Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack really cares about its people and has made very visible efforts to make sure benefits are fair and equal across locations as much as possible. Thumbtack has great benefits and flexible time off, they support you in having a life outside of work. I've always felt that Thumbtack was an inclusive place, I've always felt welcome and comfortable being myself. Overall there is a great culture and they support the person, not the employee.

Cons

As Thumbtack has grown, the opportunity for growth within the company has gotten slightly more difficult. There may be a wait before a significant career advancement opportunity presents itself. I think this would be the case for any quickly-growing business. However, they do a great job of supporting skills and educational advancement so you can always be improving even if there is not a promotion readily available.

Social Media Support Manager

We truly value the thoughts and feedback you've provided here and we've passed it along to the appropriate teams. Making sure each person who works at Thumbtack feels they have the opportunities they need to advance their skillsets and career is very important to us. It's such a joy to hear that you've felt comfortable to be yourself here and we hope everyone who joins us feels the same. Thanks for sharing your kind and helpful thoughts. We look forward to your continued impact here at Thumbtack.

5. 5.0

Best decision I have made in 2020

Dec 29, 2020 - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership is on point - sales managers are subject matter experts and almost all of them were former top performers before being promoted - our director has to be one of the most down to earth and hands on leader I have ever seen and it's clear the org would walk off a cliff for this guy. The company is doing very well given everything that has happened in 2020, benefits are outstanding and the onboarding process given I joined thumbtack in 2020 was pretty impressive considering the company moved to 100% remote this year. Overall I am very impressed with the people and culture and see myself here for many years to come

Cons

Although the sales culture is great I don't get the same vibe when interacting with other departments - our customers like the product but wish we could deliver more, I have pros literally asking me what else they can buy and it turns my stomach when I have to turn them away because our product is very narrow at the moment. The pay is average (which is not a bad thing) but feel it was hyped up how much the earning potential could be during the interview process.

Social Media Support Manager

We're thrilled to hear that you can see yourself with us in the years to come. We take great care in building a culture that helps to support our employees to grow and advance in their careers at Thumbtack. It's important that we always have an eye on the future and continue to evolve our product for our pros and customers. We appreciate your insights and we'll be sure to share your feedback with our team. Thank you for choosing to be a part of our growing company and we look forward to the years ahead as we continue to make Thumbtack a special place to work.

6. 5.0

Great place to work!

Apr 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack is fast-growing, the teams are extremely collaborative, and has an inspiring company vision: to become the best place for customers to fix, maintain, and improve their home. It's also great to find new ways to help local service professionals grow their business and find success.

Cons

There are challenges that come with scale and moving quickly, but the level of transparency and communication around changes or updates helps keep everyone informed.

Social Media Support Manager

We love the shared mission here at Thumbtack and we need everyone's help in order to make it happen. Thanks for all the hard work you do and we strive to always have that high level of transparency.

7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Steady Decline Over the Years

Feb 2, 2021 - Operations in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are incredible and kept me at Thumbtack for many years. Team members are generally very smart and good at what they do. And of course, the work Thumbtack is trying to accomplish is inspiring and the opportunity for success is big.

Cons

Leadership, specifically Marco. Over the years I've watched him transform from a humble, easygoing co-founder, to a CEO that seems angry and annoyed when anyone questions him. it's been hard to watch him make mistakes impacting hundreds of people and prioritize money over small business owners that are hurting. Unfortunately, Thumbtack leadership as a whole has a long way to go. Women and other underrepresented minorities don't have a seat at the table. And there really is no excuse for that. Another problem they have is their product. Their product vision is a mess. I'm all for pivoting and trying new things, but many of the experiments and updates teams roll out equal a poor user experience and rarely benefit the end user. Another issue I had working there was career development. They make a lot of promises but rarely follow through. The requirements for promotion also vary across teams and roles and isn't consistent. The reasons they give for promoting one person, but not another don't make sense.

9 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We agree that the work we do is inspiring, and we want to be sure we have our pros and customers best interests in mind as we work to accomplish our goals. We value the feedback you’ve provided about how we can better support our employees through DEI efforts and clearer expectations. We’ve passed your comments along to the appropriate teams. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us and we wish you all the best.

8. 5.0

Best company ever

Apr 17, 2021 - Premier Support Agent in Miami, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work environment, everyone is really friendly and helpful, excellent salary and benefit, the best company I ever worked for.

Cons

None, it's a great company

Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for writing this great review, we're lucky to have teammates like you.

9. 5.0

A great place to work

Apr 6, 2021 - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Transparent, democratic, balance view towards revenue growth and experience, strong product leadership (mostly ex Lyft/Linkedin), good work-life balance

Cons

Pretty iterative innovation on customer experience, difficult to make decisions on pro side given retention metric

Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for being part of the team for so long. We appreciate your feedback on our iterative nature and we've passed this along. Being transparent is a huge part of Thumbtack, thank you for contributing this to our culture.

10. 5.0

Great place to work!

Dec 2, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I started working at Thumbtack right out of college, and I couldn't think of a better place to kick-start my career. I still can't believe that I get to work for such an amazing company and do what I love every single day! It was really important to me that I found a company that actually lived their values, and I can confidently say that Thumbtack does. Our values are at the foundation of everything we do. Something else I really appreciate is how open and honest our senior leadership team is. It's not common to work for a company that is so transparent, so it's very refreshing. Thumbtack really cares about their employees, especially through the pandemic that we're facing. They've given us extra paid holidays to support our mental health. They also hold workshops to learn more about mental health, healthy habits for working from home, empowering women, and so much more. They even have fun yoga classes taught by a Thumbtack pro, which is my personal favorite! This is just a small glimpse of the benefits you get for working here. Overall, I love Thumbtack. I can't wait to see how much I will grow by working here!

Cons

As of now, I haven't seen any cons of working for Thumbtack.

Social Media Support Manager

It's such a joy to hear we've been able to help you kick-start your career and do what you love every day. We're always working to find ways to support our employees and foster an environment where we can learn and grow together. We strive to live up to our values every day and we value employees who do the same. Thank you for contributing to our Thumbtack culture and keep up the amazing work. We look forward to seeing the impact you will continue to have in the future.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 345 Reviews