Thumbtack Reviews

57 Comments

Tech

209.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Thumbtack~414078
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Thumbtack and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Strong Team and Career Focused Company

May 18, 2022 - Manager - Business Applications
    Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack really values creating relationships with a strong welcoming, inclusive environment for everyone at work. There is a firm emphasis on empowering employees to take on challenging work that interests and motivates to them grow their capabilities. People are friendly and really want to provide or accept input to generate the best results regardless of whose idea it is .

Cons

As a Pre-IPO company we don't have a 401k match or ESPP available to us yet but otherwise the benefits and pay are very good.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee

Amazing people, culture, and problems to work on

Apr 26, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack is a great place to work. The people are talented, nice, and down-to-earth across the board. I worked there for years and liked >95% of the people I encountered, and I fundamentally believe that our founders are good people who want the best for employees and our users. The business is also incredibly interesting and complex, with hundreds of categories that each have their own types of challenges, and of course all the dynamics between pros and customers. It's super fun to build a product when there's so much complexity. Last thing I'll call out: Thumbtack has a great culture of growing and promoting people internally. I saw so many people grow into more senior roles while I was there, and for the most part, managers at Thumbtack are supportive and reasonable.

Cons

Thumbtack has had pretty volatile growth -- sometimes really strong, sometimes weak -- and the company doesn't seem to understand/control the real drivers of the business. I'm skeptical that there's really a vision/strategy that we're confident will drive sustainable growth. Related to volatile growth, there have been many waves of attrition, largely due to some combination of burnout and more attractive opportunities at other companies with better growth trajectories. Attrition then drives more burn-out for existing employees. I'd say this was more a problem for managers, directors, and above, but it affected everyone to some extent.

1 person found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for writing such a thorough review. We appreciate the impact you made at Thumbtack.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best Place to Work!

May 17, 2022 - Recruiting Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack cares about it’s people and wants everyone to feel happy and comfortable. Management is very transparent and will answer any question you have and values differing opinions. Plus you have incredible quarterly retreats, unlimited PTO (but they actually want you to use it), and a week long, company wide summer shut down. I

Cons

As Thumbtack becomes bigger and bigger, it can be harder to move up in positions.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work full of mission-driven, intellectual people

Dec 23, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack is a really great company with a very strong culture and an obsessive focus on improving itself. Everyone from the engineers to the recruiters to the operations teams are approachable, curious, humble, dedicated to learning, and fun to talk with. The product makes a difference in people's lives and the opportunity is huge, which makes the environment exciting and the work satisfying. Decisions from hires to product changes to ad buys are made in a very thoughtful, rigorous manner, but bad decisions are owned up to and abandoned quickly. Very little ego or politics within the company, as everyone seems committed to making the best decisions to help the team, and working hard to make that decision making process as analytically rigorous and free from bias as possible. As a start up there are many opportunities for team members to contribute and expand their horizons and leadership offers support for people to figure out and implement new things. I love coming to work here.

Cons

The relentlessly thoughtful decision making process means that the company can move more slowly than it perhaps should at times. Engineer hiring has proven to be a major bottleneck due to absurdly high standards for new hires. As a result, teams that could get by with less than world-class engineers are left without any engineering resources at all. Also as a result the product has simple, glaring flaws that go left unaddressed, and there are clearly areas of the company set up years ago that have been given no thought in a while as attention is focused elsewhere. Huge opportunity for new hires to fix these things and help this company realize its potential.

Continue reading
    180 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Thumbtack is great

May 10, 2022 - Sales in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are great & WFH

Cons

There is no 401k Match

1 person found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for the feedback, we'll be sure to pass it along. We're happy you're enjoying your time at Thumbtack.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company culture

Apr 19, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great perks, transparent management, great remote work culture

Cons

None that I can think of

Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for all of your work at Thumbtack over the years. We're lucky to have you.

7. 4.0

Good place to be

May 12, 2022 - Senior Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, flexibility, fair compensation, and cares about family balance

Cons

Fast paced, rapidly changing, remote only work

Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for the impact you've made at Thumbtack over the years. We're happy to hear about your experience.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

happy as a clam

Apr 11, 2022 - Content Strategist in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-work culture is pretty great -clever colleagues that know how to collaborate -decent pay considering it's a small shop

Cons

-lots of departures -unclear upper management

Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for the kind words! We're so happy to have you here at Thumbtack.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Overworked and underpaid

Mar 24, 2022 - Trust and Safety Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Strong sense of community, loved the team.

Cons

The expectations Thumbtack had for its employees are unrealistic, to say the least. It felt like no matter how hard you tried, no matter how much overtime you worked, there was no way to meet the standards they set for employee success. On top of that, very little opportunities for growth and development exist. It was hard constantly providing the same feedback about the issues with expectations only to be met with no change and watch everyone around me burn out.

Continue reading
    2 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback about your time working at Thumbtack. We'll ensure that this gets passed along to leadership and wish you the best of luck.

10. 5.0

Awesome Place to Work

Apr 11, 2022 - Marketing Operations Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, diversity, inclusion, benefits, growth

Cons

As of writing. Thumbtack is still polishing their virtual work environment.

Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate the time you've spent at Thumbtack and the impact you've made. Keep it up!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 419 Reviews

Thumbtack Reviews FAQs

Thumbtack has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 461 reviews left anonymously by employees. 77% of employees would recommend working at Thumbtack to a friend and 79% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 6% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Thumbtack employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.1 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Thumbtack. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

77% of Thumbtack employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Thumbtack 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.4 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Thumbtack to be senior leadership, culture, benefits and the cons to be management, career development.

Popular Careers with Thumbtack Job Seekers