Thumbtack Reviews | Glassdoor

Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • There are growing pains for sure but nothing that cannot be worked through (in 16 reviews)

• You can imagine what this means for your work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place for female engineers"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Perks are good, work is great, the people are AWESOME.
    Great values, that aren't just talked about, these seep through the organization.
    One of the core values is Make Each Other Better. I've found it easy to learn, share and grow technically. Having a common goal and clear shared vision help integrate the team. I've worked at multiple companies and I value the transparency at Thumbtack. Join Us!

Cons

Middle management is super new and learning the ropes. Employee median age is likely below 30's.

Aug 10, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

We like that you're apart of our team. We can't wait to see what you bring to the table.

2. "Rewards Hard Work"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Thumbtack is an all inclusive place that rewards those that grind. The Salt Lake office has some of the best leadership that I've encountered. Your suggestions are heard, and I have seen positive changes due to that feedback. They are constantly working to make the environment competitive and rewarding. Those who don't survive here don't work hard.

Cons

Very laid back to the point where some employees push the limit to unprofessional - napping at work or wearing in appropriate work attire.

"Management Changes Killed The Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Thumbtack offers a lot of perks and benefits, including a generous PTO policy, laptops for work and personal use, free lunches, tons of snacks, coffee machines, fun company events, etc. The company vision is something that I believed in from day one, and still do. They want small businesses to grow and succeed. It shows, especially when you visit the San Francisco office. There's a lot of energy behind that vision.

Cons

In the Salt Lake office, the culture was once laid-back, fun, and amazing. At the time I started working there, it was hands-down the best place to work in Utah. People were promoted based on hard work and drive. Employees constantly went above and beyond because at that time, you were recognized for doing so.

Now, however, the Salt Lake office has become riddled with political agendas and favoritism. Managers that were once friendly with their employees became bosses, pushing numbers instead of empowering people. People get promoted based on their friendships outside of work with their managers, rather than their actual achievements. (For example: The people who go out drinking with the boss are the ones that get the most attention, rather than the ones that keep their heads down.) You can have the exact same metrics as someone else, but they'll get promoted over you because they're sucking up and you're not. This never, EVER used to be allowed at Thumbtack (most managers would be annoyed with the teacher's pet kind of employee), but now it's the norm.

Many departments are weighed down by stressful goals and ridiculous, impossible performance plans that only set people up to fail. There are multiple managers in multiple departments that aren't people leaders and don't know how to be. Those managers in particular are a HUGE part of what has destroyed the culture and have pushed people to their limit.

Surprisingly for a company that's growing rapidly, there's little to no opportunity for growth in many departments there. The only hope you have for moving up is starting in customer support. However, once you're out of that department, good luck going anywhere else.

The Salt Lake office is also riddled with HR red flags, but it's virtually impossible to go to HR without getting in trouble for it. Multiple managers and "star" employees are walking HR violations, but continue to be rewarded rather than punished for their behavior.

Overall, Thumbtack WAS an amazing place to work but now the culture is stressful, toxic, and severely overrated.

Advice to Management

Management needs to go back to treating people like people rather than numbers. The culture has wilted and died because of managers who don't stand up for the best interest of their employees and ultimately let them fail.

Jan 10, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

We’re sorry your time with us hasn’t been the best. We strive for a strong, positive work environment where each person feels engaged, respected, with room for growth and personal development... More

4. "Best Place to work in San Francisco"

Pros

Extremely thorough onboarding process. Wonderfully organized

Cons

The food is so delicious...you might gain a few extra pounds!

5. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

People at Thumbtack are very thoughtful and kind. We try to make decisions rationally and deliberately. The company is unafraid of making big bets and moves fast. People are here because they want to be here.

Cons

Most of the cons that Thumbtack has are cons that any growth-stage company has. Too many great things to do -> hard prioritization tradeoffs.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great engineers.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

I love working at Thumbtack. The company provides a productive and supportive environment to work where everyone can succeed. I'm very happy I decided to work here.

Cons

Have not found any yet

"Great"

I worked at Thumbtack part-time

Pros

This place is great if you work in San Fran, run by millenials, the SLC office needs a complete overhaul. Working long hours, and strict rules and unattainable metrics. Looks good from the outside, but trying to move forward in the company is virtually impossible.

Cons

Moving up is one of the hardest and most impossible things to do, unattainable metrics make it non existant, too many internal rules.

Advice to Management

Ease up on your employees.

Dec 13, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

We’re sorry that you feel you weren’t able to get to your full potential with us. We empower all our employees to be their own advocates re: setting expectations with managers, and we encourage them... More

"Without a doubt the best place I've ever worked at."

Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Inclusive Culture

The culture here is excellent, it really feels like family when coming here, which is a good thing since we spend most of our days with our co-workers. Cross department communication is great as well.

-Room for Growth

Internal mobility is encouraged here, as well as opportunities to be a mentor or mentee with another Thumbtacker.

-Seamless Onboarding

This really gets started about a week before you get here, you get to pick your own equipment and desk setup before you even get here. When you do get here all of your stuff is ready to go at your desk, including a sweet little welcome package. Extended onboarding includes Thumbtack University which is a multi-day training session that goes over the company and its history. The product’s evolution and current state, and some research methods and options within Thumbtack.

-Food

The food here is ridiculously good. Food here is cooked in house by some of the most amazing chefs. You’ll be enjoying daily breakfast, lunch, and dinner (except Fridays). Also with Thursday snack days you’ll be treated to an assortment of in house snacks and beverages. Speaking of beverages there are ‘coolers’ or ‘refreshers’ made in house, a personal favorite is the Passion Fruit cooler. We also have a few beers and wines on tap, and in cans/bottles if you don’t like those options. There’s even an instagram account dedicated to this talented crews’ work.

-Extremely flexible with PTO

Need time off? Take it.

-Transparency

Meeting notes are dispersed across departments which provides a window on what the company is working on. This goes all the way to the top.

-Thoughtful and Hands on Leadership

Leadership here is astoundingly great and active! They’re quick to respond to major events and set a great atmosphere for the company as a whole. They listen to feedback

-Offsite Team Building Events

Want to get to know your team better? Don’t worry you’ll have a lot of opportunities to get out of the office with your team and build that relationship up!

-On-site Guest Speaker Events

Thumbtack is increasing their efforts in being thought leaders and having more community based events.

-Community Involvement

Thumbtackers respond to help out our local community, especially when they need it most like our most recent fires. We also have a few internal groups for different sports and activities that take place outside of work hours.

-SF Office Space / Location

We’re in the Twitter building which is pretty convenient for most people living in the city, and pretty close to most transportation options.

Cons

It's hard to write something here without sounding pretentious and entitled. I don't have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, it's amazing and I'm excited to see where this goes!

Nov 21, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

We love that Thumbtack offers so much too. We're excited to see what the next year has in store, and it's great that you're a part of this journey with us.

"Top Place To Work"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Leadership although not perfect, is always looking to improve and gather feedback on what to improve on.
    Great atmosphere that encourages feedback
    Love the perks that come with working with Thumbtack. Thumbtack bucks, on site lunch and snacks, tuition reimbursement, and team activities that help promote the culture.

Cons

The company is moving so fast there are times when we miss communicating to the right parties.
    Continue to provide leadership training to help support the growing org.

"Unique Culture & Start-up with Real Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked in many start-ups in my career and this is the first one with incredible potential. The executive team is engaged in the success of the business and with its employees. We are shifting the product and the culture to drive better outcomes for our pros, customers, and employees.
    Thumbtack is great to its employees. They are very transparent with how the company is doing, the company goals, soliciting feedback from employees, leadership is very approachable to all.

Cons

Things have been really laid back and at times it is hard to drive accountability. The good news is the leadership team recognizes this and is making changes to address this.
    There are growing pains for sure but nothing that cannot be worked through.

Advice to Management

Continue to drive accountability and recognize your high performers.