Thumbtack Reviews

4.3
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
Cons
  • "There are little to no significant cons to working here, other than growing pains are causing parking to become an issue(in 25 reviews)

• "They don't offer any 401K matching(in 17 reviews)

1. "A great company to work"

5.0
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

- People are really nice to work with and always willing to help - No strict working hours limit

Cons

- Food not very tasty to me :(

Thumbtack2020-02-27

February 28, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for the 5 stars! :) We agree that Thumbtack is a pretty awesome place to work.

"The most disappointing end possible."

Former Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

The in-house culinary team (though they were laid off) The in-house employee resource group leads (though they were laid off)

Cons

Unfortunately, Thumbtack laid off about 250 people. Yes, that’s happening everywhere and it was a necessary business decision, but the way it was delivered was not good. Employees were left scrambling to call their managers and peers trying to figure out what next steps were after being let go. Computers were shut off within minutes (we weren’t told they would be cutoff so quickly, no time for goodbyes) and we barely got 3 weeks of pay and about 4 weeks of health insurance. So many teams, and we’re given absolutely zero details on who they decided to cut. Even executives and long-tenured employees CHOSE to leave alongside those layed-off. I’m not even sure if there’s a recruiting team there anymore but I imagine Thumbtack is no longer a “best workplace”.

Thumbtack2020-05-15

May 15, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate you being transparent with us and sharing your experience. Having to remotely say goodbye to 250 team members was a decision we had to make due to COVID-19 and it was an extremely hard decision. We support all former employees in their future endeavors, and wish you the best. Thank you for this feedback.

"All good things must come to an end!"

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culinary staff and ERG Leaders. Unfortunately all laid off.

Cons

Unfortunately all good things must come to an end, and that is the case for Thumbtack's culture and employee morale. Once a thriving employer has seen it's business decisions both internally and externally cause massive waves of attrition across multiple departments (this is well documented) and in masses in 2018 and 2019. 2020 saw Covid layoffs of 250 employees a mere 2 weeks into lockdown (Huge cash issue signal) including many ERG Leads, and all Diversity staff. Struggling to find CPO and CFO. Valuation is barely beating inflation over past 4 years. The work is meaningful but the culture is completely shot unfortunately. Many left there after layoffs are actively interviewing.

Thumbtack2020-05-20

May 21, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We support all former employees in their future endeavors, as you know we made the hard decision to lay off 250 team members. We continue to support our ERG's and diversity efforts during these tough times. Your honest feedback here is beneficial for our team and we are grateful you took the time to share it.

"Incompetent Management & Lack of Product Leadership"

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Entry level IC colleague is smart and helpful. I learned and grew a lot during my time there * Mid-level managers are generally good (this still really depends on your team though) * Culture is easy and food is good

Cons

***I was affected by COVID-19 layoffs so my opinions could be biased*** * Product decisions are extremely slow due to consensus-driven culture. Huge turnovers in PM team during past year due to unsustainable growth * Some serious issues in Management team ("Coord"): unable to hire a new CFO and CPO has changed twice within a year. Running out of money in the bank * Layoffs at random (some brightest and most hard-working people are laid off). ONLY 3 weeks of severance pay, which is extremely unfriendly to a lot of visa holders affected. Many who are staying have been actively interviewing and jumping ship

Thumbtack2020-05-01

May 8, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for being a part of a Thumbtack for over a year and for sharing your feedback. We have shared it with the team. We wish you all the best with your next career move.

"Dishonest When it Mattered Most"

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some good perks like food and fun events

Cons

Dishonest to team members when it was most important

Thumbtack2020-05-04

May 8, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Saying goodbye to 250 team members was an incredibly difficult decision and one that happened because of the impact of COVID-19 on our business. Having to do it remotely made it even harder, and I'm sorry to hear that it had this impact on you. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for all you provided to Thumbtack. We wish you the very best with your next steps.

"Avoid Thumbtack If You are a Doer"

Former Employee - Analytics in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved my team and my manager to death. It was a team of great people who really tried to help me grow. I was fortunate to work with them and they became some of my best friends in SF. The tech infrastructure is also decent. When I do analysis seldomly would I face blockers from data infra. I also like the accessibility of information. You can learn what other teams are doing easily from reading their decks and dashboards.

Cons

(I’m biased because I was impacted by the COVID layoff) The leadership promoted some of the worst culture a tech company could have. First, Thumbtack culture had stifled innovation in favor of predictability and forecast. If you interview, ask them if they can name one big innovation Thumbtack had succeeded in the past year. Second, the leadership is more a politician who cared about appearance more than execution. Not only would it would never admit to strategic failures, it celebrated the silver linings as success. Third, instead of defending the truth, the business analysts were forced to hack analysis to deliberately confirm the result leadership wants to see, and those numbers were used to set company annual planning. Lastly, the leadership is a hypocrite. They will tell you how they cared about employees by doing PC things like paternity leaves, while laying off 30% people without any performance based review.

Thumbtack2020-05-07

May 8, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate this genuine feedback, and thank you for all you provided to Thumbtack. Supporting a healthy culture is always a top priority here at Thumbtack, and this feedback has been passed along to the team. It is important to us, that every voice has a place to be heard here. We wish you all the best moving forward.

"Former Customer Success Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lunch each day was amazing and the colleagues were great

Cons

Lack of transparency in policies overall

Thumbtack2020-05-04

May 5, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate you coming to review Thumbtack! Thanks for your hard work and dedication to the Team. We welcome all feedback and are grateful for your transparency. We wish you the best of luck!

"Worst place for mid-senior people to grow"

1.0
    Former Employee - Product

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

Robust infrastructure to support new product launches Detailed documentations for new hires to get hands on quickly

Cons

*Worst place for mid-senior people to grow* Thumbtack is great for new grads to learn and grow but not for mid-senior people. Overall, Thumbtack SUFFERS FROM HIRING SENIOR PEOPLE for all teams. 75% of my teams was at my level. 25% was below me. There were no seniors above my level except my manager. Managers spent more time on managing up and judging you based on limited knowledge. You would think you could learn from XFN teams but after just a few months, half of the senior people from XFM teams left. What a coincidence! *Unfair evaluation + non-competitive pay* The 360 performance review was completely unfair. Managers ignored XFN teams say about you and made ratings based on pre-judgement. There were no salary raise + no bonus + no 401k match. I would SUGGEST incoming new hires NEGOTIATE YOUR BASE SALARY AS MUCH AS YOU CAN. Because you had no chance to raise your pay unless getting promoted. That’s another reason why the average tenure at Thumbtack is less than 2 years. *How Thumbtack lose top talents during layoff* 5-minutes Zoom layoff message from our CEO Marco marked the ending of ~250 employees life with Thumbtack. Everyone understood the difficult times Thumbtack went through. However, the 250 employees had no individual 1:1 with their HR partner or senior leaders to know specific reasons but forcing to face a lockout screen in front of them. This poorly handled layoff message not only made the talents you laid off NEVER WANT TO CONSIDER THUMBTACK AGAIN but also give survivors a big cue to start to look for new opportunities ASAP. Oh forgot to say, the revenue went up in 10 days since the layoff. Are we really running out of the $150m money received 9 months ago? *Less feeling like a family” After laying off, my team never hosted a goodbye party for us. My manager also didn’t call me to explain what has happened. Totally echo the comment below “Thumbtack laid off ~250 employees as a result of the covid pandemic. One week after, promotions of the remaining employees started trickling in on linkedin. Downright UNETHICAL and INSENSITIVE while a number of us are still reeling from the job loss.” Goodbye Thumbtack. Good luck!

Thumbtack2020-05-18

May 20, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We understand your frustration and are truly grateful for all of the hard work you poured into your position with us. We also really appreciate this detailed feedback as it can help our company improve. We most certainly want our team members to feel that they are being compensated appropriately and are able to grow and develop at any level. Saying goodbye to 250 team members was an incredibly difficult decision and one that happened because of the impact of COVID-19 on our business. Having to do it remotely made it even harder, and I'm sorry to hear that it had this impact on you. We truly wish you the best in all of your future endeavors.

"I thought it was great until things started to surface"

1.0
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great food and healthy snacks.

Cons

Thumbtack laid off ~250 employees as a result of the covid pandemic. One week after, promotions of the remaining employees started trickling in on linkedin. Downright UNETHICAL and INSENSITIVE while a number of us are still reeling from the job loss. Messaging was poorly handled at the time of the layoff with Marco reading a script that it would be our last day. Poor severance pay. Your true character is revealed in this especially tough time and Thumbtack just showed that. VP of People at least reached out with a personal email. Lack of trust from management. Recruiter-Sourcer partnership was more of Manager-subordinate relationship. Sourcers are treated like some adopted children at this company.

Thumbtack2020-05-11

May 15, 2020Social Media Support Manager

Saying goodbye to 250 team members was an incredibly difficult decision and one that happened because of the impact of COVID-19 on our business. Having to do it remotely made it even harder, and I'm sorry to hear that it had this impact on you. We appreciate your feedback, and thank you for all you provided to Thumbtack.

"Leadership is Junior"

I worked at Thumbtack full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company mission is noble and the food is great. They offer their employees many great perks.

Cons

The leadership team is too junior and tend to focus on meaningless things. There are a lot of really great employees to work with, but there are a fair number of entitled and snobby people. There tend to be an “all about me” culture. Titles are also grossly inflated.

Thumbtack2020-04-11

April 14, 2020Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate your input. This is some great feedback to push along as we strive for a culture of helping each other. We're grateful for the time you spent working with us and wish you the very best in your future career!

Found 273 reviews