Thumbtack Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Pros
Cons
  • With that growth come some growing pains and of course a bit of bureaucracy (in 15 reviews)

• The company is growing fast, and the inevitable growing pains can be a drag (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Highly Recommended"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The two main reasons I love working at Thumbtack:

1) We're actually having an impact on the world. A lot of people use Thumbtack to fuel their small business. Some wouldn't exist without Thumbtack and some would, but just be smaller. To be able to empower people to pursue their entrepreneurial passions is really cool.

2) The people at Thumbtack are great. It's not always common to find a culture that prizes ambition, intelligence, AND kindness, but all three are definitely present among those working at Thumbtack and this makes working at Thumbtack much more enjoyable.

Cons

It's scary to not be an established player like Google or Facebook. While we're doing well financially, there's no guarantee that Thumbtack will be around in 10 years. Having said that, this is also an opportunity. Everyone can make an impact at Thumbtack and leave their mark here in a way that wouldn't be possible at one of the aforementioned companies.

Advice to Management

Be as aggressive as possible in getting us to where we all want to be. There's a fine line here as no one wants to burn out, but, on the other hand, people at the company will be more disappointed if we don't push ourselves enough to reach our long-term goals.

2. "Great experience! Definitely recommend."

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing team with a strong mission and vision.
    - Great people managers that focus on your growth and development.
    - You can tell people care deeply about our pros and customers.
    - Decisions are data-driven.

I've been recommending Thumbtack to friends! Great company, excited for the future.

Cons

Nothing major here. Like with most companies that are scaling, we need to find the right balance and formats for communicating broadly with other teams for transparency, but also cut down on meetings and information so we can stay focused on our output/impact.

Advice to Management

Keep our users front and center.

Apr 13, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

It's great to have you as part of the team. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

3. "Truly one of the "Best Places to Work 2017""

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Thoughtful leadership team
    - Ambitious product vision
    - Amazing food
    - Worthwhile mission
    - Beautiful office space
    - Compassionate to their employees
    - Very open to making things better
    - Low ego colleagues

Cons

- Not a lot of process figured out
    - Moves a bit too slow

Advice to Management

Everything's heading in the right direction. Keep it up!

"Best in Utah"

Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative in Draper, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, pay and facility

Cons

None to think of specifically

Advice to Management

Keep your talent active and work towards growth.

6. "LOVED this place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandy, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture and work environment. Even better benefits.

Cons

None that I can even think of.

"Great company, employees treated well"

Current Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company in an interesting phase, providing lots of opportunities to experiment and propose new ways to doing things. If you're pro-active you can make a difference. The team is very talented and the quality of work is high.

Cons

It's growing quickly and with that the usual pains. Some processes no longer work and need to be adjusted but the company identifies them quickly and moves to address them.

Mar 29, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

We're always looking towards the future. It’s great to see that you get to be part of this.

8. "Excellent company!"

Current Employee - Analytics Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analytics Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clear long-term vision and amazing opportunity
    People are great
    Work-life balance is respected
    Culture is very collaborative and consensus-driven
    Hiring process is extremely selective
    Company is very data-driven
    All 3 founders are actively involved and care deeply about the company
    The company is unbelievably transparent
    Culinary team is top notch
    Onboarding process for new hires is outstanding

Cons

Having a consensus-driven culture is a strong asset when big & bold decisions are made. It ensures that employees have an opportunity to weigh in and are on board with important decisions. When it comes to small, tactical or operational decisions, this culture sometimes slows us down. People need to be more comfortable recognizing what matters and what doesn't and spend less time on the latter:-)

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, preserve the culture as the company grows, continue building for the long-term, continue innovating, continue hiring experienced people and learning from them! Get hired on Thumbtack more and inspire others around you to do the same.

Mar 29, 2017 – Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for the great review. Glad to have you as part of the team.

"Best company I have ever worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

The culture is fantastic. There are no egos, and pretty much everyone is willing to drop what they're doing to answer a question or to point you in the right direction. The company is built on transparency, so you know what other teams are working on and how that contributes to the larger vision of the exec team.

Everyone has an opportunity to make an impact. We're at that stage in which the user base is relatively well established, and yet is still growing rapidly. You won't be working on some widget that only a handful of people will see or use.

People come here because they believe in the product and the mission, not just to collect a paycheck.

In-house culinary team provides great food 3x a day. It is wonderful not to have to wander around SOMA every day looking for lunch.

Work-life balance is great. There is no pressure to work a minimum number of hours a day, and you have the flexibility to work from home if you have an obligation that prevents you from coming into the office. I've almost never done work after leaving the office for the day.

We're beyond the instability and uncertainty that comes with early startups, yet we've only captured a small fraction of the $700 billion local services marketplace. There's enormous room for growth and I'm confident we are moving in the right direction.

Cons

The company is growing so rapidly that sometimes there are breakdowns in communication, or teams step on each other's toes.

Understaffed in certain areas. Until recently, the mobile team was understaffed, and people with substantial front end experience are still in short supply. That's one of the major pain points in the overall dev cycle.

Greater proportion of people here (anecdotally), as compared to other companies in the Bay Area I've worked at, are married and/or have kids. So, don't expect a lot of interest if you ask people to go out for a drink or do something outside of work as they're probably making a beeline for the Caltrain station.

Advice to Management

Continue to be selective about whom to hire, not only in terms of overall competence, but also in terms how well they "fit" into the Thumbtack culture.

Continue to emphasize transparency in your communications.

Don't be afraid to take big risks and possibly fail.

"6 months in and loving it"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Thumbtack because of the special energy I felt when I came to interview here, and I have not been disappointed. This is a very creative and open work environment, with tons of hard problems and smart/fun people to work on them with. The company is in a huge growth cycle right now and so there is plenty of opportunities to make a huge impact very quickly. I've surprised myself by how much I have accomplished since coming here because of the responsibilities I've been given, and this is without anyone pushing long unnecessary hours on us!

Most importantly to me, above anything I mentioned above, is knowing that I'm building a product that is helping people carve out careers for themselves by their rules. We constantly get to hear stories from people that have created meaningful employment for themselves and others through Thumbtack and it really makes me feel like I'm doing something that matters.

Also we have an AWESOME in house kitchen that feeds us oh so well!

Cons

Plenty! But they are primarily in the department of growing pains, and it seems like management is doing their best to address these problems correctly... or let all us motivated go-getters offer up potential solutions ;)

"False Advertisment!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The blind you with their perks!

People, free mediocre lunch, mac book pro, and pay.

Cons

Young inexperienced managers, micromanaging, no growth, number based, no transparency, favoritism, monotonous work.

Advice to Management

Managers shouldn't be wearing inappropriate tight clothing as they should be the example to employees. Nick is the only professional manager and he will actually remember your name after a year.