Thumbtack Reviews | Glassdoor

Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "For instance, no 401K matching etc" (in 11 reviews)

• "The changes feel positive but there are some growing pains and cultural shifts" (in 18 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

I've been very happy working at Thumbtack for many reasons:
    - Inspiring company mission and opportunity for impact building a local services marketplace
    - Strong leadership
    - Supportive, smart and collaborative coworkers
    - Great benefits and culture

Cons

- No 401k matching here yet

Advice to Management

Keep empowering the teams to do great work.

"Pro Success Specialist"

Current Employee - Pro Success Specialist in Draper, UT
    Current Employee - Pro Success Specialist in Draper, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome culture, seriously I have never had so much fun at a job before. The actual job itself is pretty standard to a call center job, however, it doesn't feel that way because of how many fun things are going on at Thumbtack. There is a very open feel, as there are no cubicles, couches to sit on, weekly meetings with leadership, that makes you feel like you are included in the process. You get catered lunches Mon-Fri which save a ton of money especially since they are great caterers that make the food fresh every day, kombucha on tap, and tons of snacks to munch on. There is a gym to use, and tons of events to break up the monotony of the work week. Culture is everything here! Oh and you get "Thumbtack bucks" to use quarterly which can save you a lot of money on your personal projects you'd use the site for on your own.

Cons

Constant changes with teams and the product itself, this can be good or bad depending on how you like a changing environment. For me I don't mind but I know some people have a hard time with it. There is not as much room for growth as I would like, it seems a lot of people when they get to where I am at have left for other companies after applying for multiple positions here and not getting them. There has been talk of getting a bonus structure built out for quite a while, but nothing put in place yet and it's been over a year. Honestly, I love the culture but other jobs do seem tempting that have a more competitive compensation for similar roles.

Advice to Management

Don't mention a bonus structure until it is ready to actually be put into place. It leads to disappointment when one isn't built out when you thought it was going to be. I love the culture though and keep up the good work with making things so fun at work! It's what keeps me wanting to go in every day which is rare for a "call center" type of job.

"Software Engineer"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

Flexible working time
    Free coffee or snack
    Learning opportunity

Cons

I lost my purse in nearby bus station. :sadface:

"Best Place To Work"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management cares. Trust, encouragement, educational ops, your voice matters. Freedom to branch out and try new ideas. Growth ops. Incredible benefits (on & offsite). Eople care about each other.

Cons

People move around internally from various departments quite often. Departments try "sniping" good talent leaving other departments perpetually hiring.

Advice to Management

Look at compensation more closely so people aren't motivated to change departments srictly based on pay.

5. "Best Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Draper Commercial Parkway, UT
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Draper Commercial Parkway, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've loved working at Thumbtack. There is lots of opportunity for growth both professionally and personally. I've learned so many valuable skills and have been challenged in many ways and have grown from it. There are great benefits and it's a great stepping stone for other opportunities. Catered lunches, lots of PTO and great pay.

Cons

No 401k matching yet.

"The company is targeting against money"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Perks are good:
    The good thing here is that you get 3 meals a day, except Friday evening. And the food were cooked by the chefs.
    Fully paid dental/medical/eye/life premiums
    And people there are friendly.

Cons

BI not doing a good job, so does the leaders. No one has an idea why the user amount is going up or going down. And everyone just trying to meet the company goal of increasing user amount + per user revenue. Which is insane! Because say, if you get $50 per user, it is likely that those pros on Thumbtack will ask a price $60 higher than craigslist. And in turn, users will leave thumbtack.
    There at least should be a prediction on how the company will do using historical data now. And at which factors the business will change to what ways. And seems this model is not even under construction.

Advice to Management

Target on what's valuable to users, not money.

Oct 29, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Feedback is important as we continue to improve our product and our company.

"There are some issues with the cultures that go unnoticed from the inside"

I worked at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- I'm normally not really a big fan of the free food perk, but at Thumbtack, the culinary team really outdoes itself compare to the other companies.
    - The company makes an effort to be respectful towards LGBT employees.
    - You realize how much impact you have when you look at the changing lives of independent professionals who use Thumbtack.

Cons

- Remember that awkward scene in the movie "Social Network", where Zuckerberg wears his headphone on, and nobody is allowed to approach him because he's in "the zone". Well someone at Thumbtack thought it was cool and turned that into a policy. Now it becomes the norm to have to message the coworker sitting right next to you to ask a question, because they wear their headphones on.
    - At some point, someone pointed out that employees should clean after themselves and not leave their mugs behind. Nothing wrong with that, but suddenly several employees started jumping the bandwagon, then we'd regularly see some public shaming on Slack, with attached pictures of unattended mugs. To me that's just weird.

Advice to Management

- Pay attention to what's happening to the culture.

Sep 12, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

We're incredibly sorry to hear this was your experience and appreciate you taking the time to voice it. Company culture is important. We want to hear when it's working and when it's not. We've shared... More

8. "Best Job Ever!"

Current Employee - Marketplace Trust and Safety Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many perks that I can't even keep track of them. There is a real sense of community at Thumbtack, and anywhere you go, you will feel very welcome.

Cons

Because the environment is very friendly, you have to make sure you're still remaining professional. It's easy to get sucked into the camaraderie, and forget where you are.

Advice to Management

As someone who has worked in a few departments at Thumbtack, the attention to career development changes depending on the department. It would be nice to be able to have the same attention to career development and advancement, no matter what department you're in.

Sep 12, 2018 – Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience working with us. Equal career development across all departments is something we strive for. We want to ensure that everyone feels challenged... More

9. "A Wonderful Place to Work"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The environment of mutual help that is beneficial for engineers to ramp up and keep learning
    2. A fast growing middle-size company with more opportunities to make impacts
    3. Nice food and WLB

Cons

We could do a little bit better in brand recognition

10. "Great Company!!!"

I have been working at Thumbtack full-time

Pros

Fantastic place to work with great perks and great culture.

Cons

can be hard to advance your career