KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Thumbtack

Is this your company?

Thumbtack

Add a Review

Thumbtack Employee Reviews about "growing pains"

Updated Oct 9, 2019

Found 25 of over 407 reviews

3.9
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
  • "Company really cares about employee welfare and work life balance(in 37 reviews)

• "The in-house culinary team (though they were laid off)(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "As the company grows there are also some growing pains(in 25 reviews)

• "They don't offer any 401K matching(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Thumbtack

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Thumbtack and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "growing pains"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Textbook Example of a Good Company

Oct 9, 2019 - Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack's greatest asset is the culture. The company provides benefits that go above and beyond industry standard. People are encouraged to be themselves. Diversity is celebrated here. While Thumbtack has been around for just over a decade, it still has the energy of a startup. I love the environment working here.

Cons

As the company grows there are also some growing pains. This can be difficult if you are someone who has difficulty with a fast paced environment and constant change.

Social Media Support Manager

We couldn't agree more! Even through all of the changes, we'll work to continue to protect our company culture. Thanks for the love :)

2. 5.0

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Oct 9, 2019 - Manager in Draper, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company Values - These are actually something that is lived and emulated from the top down. Thumbtack cares not only about their customers and Pros, but also cares greatly about the happenies and work-life balance of their employees. Benefits - The benefits are amazing! Comp - For B2B sales is very competitive. Growth - The sales team is growing with lots of opportunities to add value and grow into leadership roles Culture - It is not a cutthroat sales culture. The atmosphere is very competitive but also very collaborative. Managers - Those in management positions are servant leaders and care about their people

Cons

Growing Pains - As the company continues to grow, finding and adopting the right tools will be crucial to maintaining an efficient productive sales teams.

Social Media Support Manager

We love this insight you've shared! Thanks for your thoughts on the importance of management development, we couldn't agree with you more.

3. 5.0

Excellent Culture & Vibe

Oct 9, 2019 - Sales Account Executive in Draper, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company does everything to show us how valuable their employees are, and we feel that every single day at work. There are few companies out there that treat employees like actual assets, and Thumbtack does an excellent job providing positive reinforcement.

Cons

There are little to no significant cons to working here, other than growing pains are causing parking to become an issue.

Social Media Support Manager

Ah, we're very sorry about the parking issue due to the construction! We're hoping for a speedy work through with that. Thanks for being patient during this time :)

4. 4.0

Great Place to Be

Oct 9, 2019 - Strategic Account Executive in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

A good work environment that supports a work/life balance. Management is supportive and always encouraging and helping you grow at the company. They have great benefits and leave you with the feeling that they really care about their employees.

Cons

Lots of growing pains. The company is growing fast so be ready to always be ready to adjust.

Social Media Support Manager

Thank you for these wonderful words about your Thumbtack experience. We know changes aren't always easy but we hope we can help each other through any growing pains to continue to build a great platform!

5. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great opportunities to grow at Thumbtack

May 25, 2019 - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Great food and working environment -Transparent management

Cons

-No 401K -Suffering from growing pains

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Always interesting work; great people

Oct 31, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Before Thumbtack I was working for a larger corporation... in search to work for a smaller and more innovative company, I found Thumbtack. I have absolutely loved it here. We operate at a super fast pace, which keeps you on your toes. Thoughtfulness is also highly valued, and therefore people arent sloppy with their work. We do things with intention and it ties up into the bigger picture. Also with the growth, by default I've been able to own a substantial chunk of the business. I've thrived off of the breadth of responsibility and opportunity for broader impact. Needless to say, the perks are great too. We have flexible time off (so there is no set bank) and we have the "typical tech start up" perks - i.e. 3 chefs.

Cons

With rapid growth there are of course some growing pains. For example, we are building out a new org structure for one of the departments and the changes were not communicated to the right people at the right time. It raised questions and caused the existing team, which was very passionate about what they were doing, to question decisions. That said, I think everybody learned from the experience, and now we have a VP of HR to help with this sort of thing!

6 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

6 months in and loving it

Nov 30, 2016 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

I joined Thumbtack because of the special energy I felt when I came to interview here, and I have not been disappointed. This is a very creative and open work environment, with tons of hard problems and smart/fun people to work on them with. The company is in a huge growth cycle right now and so there is plenty of opportunities to make a huge impact very quickly. I've surprised myself by how much I have accomplished since coming here because of the responsibilities I've been given, and this is without anyone pushing long unnecessary hours on us! Most importantly to me, above anything I mentioned above, is knowing that I'm building a product that is helping people carve out careers for themselves by their rules. We constantly get to hear stories from people that have created meaningful employment for themselves and others through Thumbtack and it really makes me feel like I'm doing something that matters. Also we have an AWESOME in house kitchen that feeds us oh so well!

Cons

Plenty! But they are primarily in the department of growing pains, and it seems like management is doing their best to address these problems correctly... or let all us motivated go-getters offer up potential solutions ;)

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Current Employee

3.5 Stars

Mar 10, 2016 -  in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

There's a lot to like about Thumbtack. - Employees are super intellectual while being very down to earth. - The office is gorgeous: flooded with natural light, cozy work nooks, lots of meeting spaces, and an incredible rooftop view. - The food is amazing. We're so spoiled with talented in-house chefs who keep us well fed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. - We're doing very human-centric work that positively impacts so many lives—it's very cool to see. - We're on verge of getting very big, very quickly.

Cons

But thing's aren't perfect. - A lot of very similarly minded people—a little diversity of thought would do us good. - Our high focus on data and conversion changes is good but comes with the danger of thwarting creativity, big-picture thinking, and risk taking. - All those smart people who work here mean a lot of employees are doing work they're overqualified for with unclear paths for internal growth. - Growing pains. We're still learning how to adapt our structure and process to accommodate a much larger office. There's a lot of hustle and far less attention to culture.

8 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Rocketship startup. amazing culture. transparent and impact driven team

Sep 8, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Thumbtack has an impressive group of talented, thoughtful, fast-moving people. It's been a pleasure and absolute fire hose working here. You take on as much responsibility as you can like and in a company growing this quickly, it's endless. Love the no politics, get things done attitude. Checks the boxes on all the silicon valley startup perks.

Cons

As with any startup, there's growing pains around communication and and moving too quickly. However, be proactive and bring up issues as you see them, and people really appreciate it and always (almost immediately) work to make it better.

5 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0

Unique Culture & Start-up with Real Potential

Nov 13, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Draper, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked in many start-ups in my career and this is the first one with incredible potential. The executive team is engaged in the success of the business and with its employees. We are shifting the product and the culture to drive better outcomes for our pros, customers, and employees. Thumbtack is great to its employees. They are very transparent with how the company is doing, the company goals, soliciting feedback from employees, leadership is very approachable to all.

Cons

Things have been really laid back and at times it is hard to drive accountability. The good news is the leadership team recognizes this and is making changes to address this. There are growing pains for sure but nothing that cannot be worked through.

2 people found this review helpful