KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Thumbtack

Is this your company?

Thumbtack

Add a Review

Thumbtack Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 4, 2020

Found 34 of over 408 reviews

4.0
Thumbtack CEO Marco Zappacosta
Marco Zappacosta
Pros
  • "Company really cares about employee welfare and work life balance(in 37 reviews)

• "The in-house culinary team (though they were laid off)(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "As the company grows there are also some growing pains(in 25 reviews)

• "They don't offer any 401K matching(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Thumbtack and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fantastic place to work - Great culture and great people!

Sep 29, 2020 - Product Designer in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great collaborative culture. - Smart people - great for peer learning -Company really cares about employee welfare and work life balance. - Love the transparency in leadership - employees are always kept in the loop, sharing the good and the bad. - Design has a seat at the table - excellent design org, really cares about career growth and all new ideas are welcome. - Flexible time off is great. - Your work is really valued. - From a product perspective there are some very challenging problems to solve.

Cons

- Benefits could be better. - There could be better employee recognition programs.

1 person found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

Thanks so much for leaving this review! We're so glad you feel how important work-life balance and each and every employee is to us. We also appreciate your feedback as it helps make us better. :) Thank you for all the time and effort you put into your position at Thumbtack every day. We're lucky to have great employees like you!

2. 1.0
      Current Employee

Lacking real leadership

May 25, 2020 - Full Time Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing food when we were in the office Good work/life balance when in the office

Cons

- I didn't get laid off during the mass layoff but the way it was handled really upset many people including me and leadership never addressed head on why they were so heartless. It was a ton of platitudes and avoiding the real question. Just take a look at the copied and pasted responses to all the reviews to understand the type of stuff we hear weekly as questions are asked. There are things that need to be done to keep a business alive, but there are more humane ways to do it (literally any other way would have been better). - Performance across teams and offices are uneven, which comes across as unfair, making it difficult to get promoted. Leaders don't even seem aware of the numerous people issues or at least they don't care about them. - The culture seems to really vary based on the team you are on and if you end up on the wrong team then it's difficult to move up because of the inconsistencies stated above. - Leadership and management in general can never seem to take ownership of mistakes they've made or continue to make which makes it difficult to give meaningful feedback without fear of repercussions. This is even harder because feedback is not anonymous. - Benefits have deteriorated in the past year including pay cuts

14 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We’re sad to hear the impact of the layoffs from you, and we know it’s not just you feeling this way. This has not been an easy time or easy transition through COVID-19. Your thoughts are very valuable to our leadership team. We urge you to also share these thoughts with your Manager to better the culture here at Thumbtack. Taking ownership of mistakes, being able to be promoted, and have consistency across teams is very important, and we want to make sure your feedback is heard. We have also passed this feedback along to the appropriate teams. We wish you the best as we all try to navigate this tough time.

3. What people are saying about Thumbtack

Join the conversation on
      Join the conversation on
    4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Unless you are planning to work in SF, stay away!

Nov 4, 2020 - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Generous PTO. Good medical, paternity, maternity benefits. Some of the staff who believe in a transparent, collaborative, employee and customer focused workplace are still employed. Fair compensation. Condones work life balance. Flexible work from home even before the pandemic. Health and safety of employees are a priority.

Cons

No longer customer focused. Sales is pushing increased revenue, but Thumbtack is purposely employing so little staff that customers wait excessive amounts of time for issues to be addressed. Older female employees do not last long here. The majority of women in senior leadership older than 40 has been pushed out or laid off by the "moral compass". Anyone with the audacity to disagree with People Ops becomes a target. Marco condones individuals in People Ops who bully, make derogatory comments publicly about employees, and have extreme integrity issues; even calling them the company's "moral compass" . All escalations of inappropriate behavior in People Ops have been brushed off possibly not even looked into. Disciplinary action is not equitable. Someone can steal thousands of dollars and still be employed while someone else will be terminated for far less. Customer support is no longer a collaborative entity. One person controls all meetings. One person speaks through the majority of these meetings. Managers were even told to stop having one on one meetings with each other. Planning used to be a collaborative process with employees on several levels providing ideas and input. Now one person creates all planning initiatives and dictates them to the team. Input from anyone at a "level" beneath Director level is routinely ignored. Titles are more important than actual knowledge. Turnover has increased exponentially in Salt Lake. The atmosphere is now that of a typical outsourcing call center. Constant back to back contacts with no end in sight. The hierarchy of San Francisco as most important, Salt Lake as 2nd class, and Philippines as 3rd class employees has returned.

12 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We always want to support a collaborative environment while promoting a good work-life balance here at Thumbtack. We are sorry to hear if you’ve felt a shift in our priorities for employees or our customers. Maintaining high levels of customer support while ensuring that our employees are heard and cared for is very important to us. We know that the best ideas can come from anyone at any level in our company and we value all feedback. You’ve made some concerning comments about our culture and work experience, we’d suggest you work with your own manager to voice this feedback. We’ll pass this along to ensure that your voice continues to be heard. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us here and we’ll keep striving to provide a workplace where our employees can thrive.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee

Incompetent Leadership, Hypocritical Culture -> Ship is Sinking

Jul 8, 2020 - Undisclosed
      Business Outlook

Pros

- When times were good pre-2020, Thumbtack cultivated a culture of transparency, humility, and work-life balance. - All my managers for the most part prioritized my professional development and supported me to do my job in a fulfilling way. - Most of my coworkers were a pleasure to work with. There wasn't as much politics as other companies at my level due to some good operating processes set up. - The onsite meals were great and the culinary team was world-class.

Cons

But a company's true character shows when times are tough, and Thumbtack completely failed the test. In a founder-CEO company, the true color of company morals is usually a manifestation of the character of the CEO, and I am extremely disappointed how Marco handled the last few months. While Marco had issues pre-pandemic (most prominently, his inability to put together a good executive team and broker cohesion amongst them), I still believed that his overall capability and moral compass would guide Thumbtack through ups and downs. I was wrong: - The covid layoff was a disaster and you can read more about it in the previous reviews. 3 months later both former and current employees are still reeling. Go compare how you handled the layoff to how Brian Chesky handled the Airbnb layoff, night and day difference. Just go read Airbnb's Glassdoor reviews around the same time frame and you will see laid off employees not nearly as scarred. - The icing on the cake is laying off the entire DEI team. Then when BLM protests happened, trying to claim in a public blog post diversity and inclusion is top priority and that they would prioritize hiring DEI folks, without mentioning that they actually laid off the entire DEI team just a couple months ago. Utter hypocrisy. - A lot of the executive team are not qualified. They can't get along with each other. And they keep leaving or keep getting fired. This again illustrates the incompetence of the CEO: -> 4 CPOs over a few years with the last one getting straight up laid off. I think Marco doesn't know how to have a CPO and needs full control over the product. -> No one on the executive team has stayed for more than 3-4 years. The last few years saw complete turnover of the exec team. The current CTO, who's actually qualified, just quit. -> Unqualified people keep getting put onto the exec team. Just one example, the current head of Design has never worked as a Product Designer, but rather a User Researcher and was in school only a few year ago.

25 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate your honest feedback as this is how we grow here at thumbtack. We understand we lost your trust during COVID-19 and how the layoffs were handled. Your feedback has been passed along to make sure we’re building a culture based on trust and transparency. We also take DEI very seriously and hiring that team back is one of our top priorities. We truly wish you the best in your future career and thank you for all the time and effort you put into your position with us here at Thumbtack.

6. 4.0
      Former Employee

Wonderful people!

Dec 1, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Authentic CEO who knows how to take care of people and also make tough business decisions (not one of the bombastic sociopaths you typically find in that role) - Best culinary team in the Bay Area tech scene - Almost all coworkers are nice to work with and worthy of making personal connections with - Excellent work-life balance. You can make time for life outside work and take generous time off to recharge, travel etc - Great office location in SF

Cons

- Frequent major product changes on professionals side make it confusing for both customers and employees - Slower revenue growth than desired - Rank-and-file need more confidence on path to long term success - Good but not magical product; low brand awareness

Social Media Support Manager

We really appreciate you leaving us this review! There's always room for improvement, and you gave some great feedback. We wish you the best in your future career. :)

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic workplace, zero regard for D&I

Jun 8, 2020 - Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent work/life balance Good food -- before COVID

Cons

This company will treat you like you are the best thing since sliced bread one day, and kick you to the curb the next. CEO keeps hiring director-level people who are about 10-15 years behind in experience because folks who are actually qualified are smart enough to know this is place is a sinking ship. Every company decision is political. Leaders claim to be all about transparency but employees know all too well how secretive and diplomatic this place is. Don't even get me started on diversity, equity and belonging -- unless you are a white person, you will always feel left out.

15 people found this review helpful

Social Media Support Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to submit a review about your personal experience at Thumbtack, even if the feedback is rough. One thing we do want to call out: we recognize that while we've made progress, we need to make diversity, equity, and inclusion a greater focus and one that we maintain for the long-term. We're working hard on that now, starting with a retrospective to more deeply understand the areas we need to work on.

8. 5.0

Strong Company with a Great Culture

Oct 9, 2019 - Sales Team Lead in Draper, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great benefits - Culinary team that provides breakfast and lunch - Open environment that endorses interdepartmental communication - Opportunity for growth - Great team focused culture with a collaborative environment - Leaders are always looking out for their team members and doing all they can to make sure the individual finds success in the company - No "sales bro" environment , everyone works as a team and looks out for one another. No one is trying to go behind another's back to get the sale. Very honest and collaborative environment - Work life balance is great; when you're home you're home

Cons

- Thumbtack is always evolving and bettering their product, so you have to be able to adapt to new sales processes. If you are very strong willed and aren't open to changing your routine, then this might not be the job for you

Social Media Support Manager

"Work life balance is great; when you're home you're home". This is what we work so hard for. We want people to enjoy themselves when they come to work ... and enjoy themselves when they get to go home! Thanks for the love.

9. 5.0

Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Oct 9, 2019 - Manager in Draper, UT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Company Values - These are actually something that is lived and emulated from the top down. Thumbtack cares not only about their customers and Pros, but also cares greatly about the happenies and work-life balance of their employees. Benefits - The benefits are amazing! Comp - For B2B sales is very competitive. Growth - The sales team is growing with lots of opportunities to add value and grow into leadership roles Culture - It is not a cutthroat sales culture. The atmosphere is very competitive but also very collaborative. Managers - Those in management positions are servant leaders and care about their people

Cons

Growing Pains - As the company continues to grow, finding and adopting the right tools will be crucial to maintaining an efficient productive sales teams.

Social Media Support Manager

We love this insight you've shared! Thanks for your thoughts on the importance of management development, we couldn't agree with you more.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best place I've ever worked for

Feb 5, 2020 - Product Analyst in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, Career Opportunities/ Professional Development, Autonomy, Work-Life Balance. Plus they serve 3 meals a day! Amazing culinary staff and great food. You can really adjust your work hours to match the personal lifestyle that best suits your needs.

Cons

Could be more diverse, not as many URMs as other companies.

Social Media Support Manager

What a great list of pros! These are some great call-outs about our company and its culture. We're lucky to have employees like you, and we're grateful for your honest feedback about the diversity, This is something we'll always be working at, and we appreciate you pointing it out and keeping it in mind. :)

11. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Passionate team working on an incredibly complex problem

Jul 17, 2019 - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Fascinating set of problem. Thumbtack’s marketplace is several orders of magnitude more complex than I had imagined, making for very interesting challenges across all areas. - Selfless culture and management. The leadership team is lean, refreshingly humble, and free of politics. Leaders are very dedicated to creating a positive work environment, be conscious of biases, and set an example when it comes to work-life balance. - Meaningful work. Especially on the Pro side, empowering small business owners and helping them scale their business feels incredibly rewarding.

Cons

Although one of the company’s values is “Know our customers”, Thumbtack tends to have a myopic view of the problem space it is solving and the competition. It feels like we are often finding ourselves trying to re-invent the wheel.

Social Media Support Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience with Thumbtack thus far! We're grateful to have team members like you who help make us better.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 34 Reviews