Thycotic Reviews | Glassdoor

James Legg

1. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working on difficult problems
    Occasionally integrating new software
    Great people to work with

Cons

Increasingly corporate atmosphere
    Tighter and tighter deadlines
    Large tech support burden on development

Apr 8, 2017 – CTO

Thanks for taking the time to provide your review. So glad to hear that you enjoy the people on the team - Thycotic has such a great bunch of people.

2. "Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great tech.
    Growing space
    Strong roadmap
    Industry leading product

Cons

More players are coming into the space

Advice to Management

nothing ... they are doing a great job

Apr 8, 2017 – CTO

Thanks for your review and validation of the stuff we are doing at Thycotic. We couldn't do it without all the great folks on the team. :)

3. "Great Opportunity at a company with a stellar CEO!"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Thycotic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working at Thycotic! Fast growing software company with TONS of growth potential. The people who work there are talented and fun to work with.

Cons

Growth pains that come with any fast growing software company.

Apr 8, 2017 – CTO

Thanks for the review. I will let Jim know he is stellar but we can't let it go to his head. :) Jokes aside - Jim is a great leader and is a driving force in Thycotic's acceleration. We have an ... More

"Thycotic is heading in the right direction!"

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company! One of the better team oriented office environments that I've seen and the location of the office is great, as well (2 blocks from the White House!) Amazing product with the right leadership to handle the hyper-growth that the company is experiencing right now.

Cons

Just like with any growing company, there are growing pains. Sometimes short on resources but that is changing with all of the hiring Thycotic is doing this year.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and do not let your foot off of the pedal.

"Best place to work in D.C.!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here for almost four years and have had the best career experience ever. Thycotic has truly let me grow into the career path that I wanted to take and has always challenged me. There are incredible benefits and the top talent in Washington, D.C. to learn from. We have grown tremendously, but our wonderful culture has not changed. Our management focuses on employee happiness and growth. What more can you ask for? If you are up for a challenge and want to work for a leading IT security company, Thycotic is the company for you. But don't worry about work-life balance, Thycotic is extremely flexible and offers incredible vacation time.

Cons

I really only have amazing things to say about Thycotic, but one con is that as we are grow (with any company) there can be a few growing pains and adjusting to new ways, but it's all a part of the experience.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow please keep our same culture and work-outings! And please continue to listen to your employees.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Thycotic full-time

Pros

I am relatively new to Thycotic. I was working for Arellia before we were acquired by Thycotic about a month ago. That being said, so far I have been happy with the acquisition and the new colleagues I work with. Everyone seems to be hardworking and willing to help each other when needed.

Cons

As a growing company scheduling meetings with employees across the world has occasionally been challenging. There is also more software development process than I am used to.

Advice to Management

I love swag and would love the ability to get more. As part of the acquisition we got the new hire welcome kit that included a t-shirt, mousepad, water bottle, and usb bottle-opener, but it's always fun to get more.

"Growing Company & Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I simply do not have enough time, nor words, to describe the joy I feel every day coming to work for Thycotic. Everyone is always glad to see me, and I am glad to see everyone. There is a constant air of positivity and success that permeates the very fabric of Thycotic and its employees.

Cons

The rate of the company's growth can make the individual feel a little overwhelmed and/or underappreciated. It is hard, at times, to see personal feelings of accomplishment and success within the scope of how many new employees are hired or how many more things the company drives to achieve for each milestone.

Advice to Management

Do not change too much of the informal/social aspects of the company. The atmosphere is fantastic and the fostered sense of everyone working together despite being in different departments is vital to the company's continued growth and success.

Feb 2, 2016 – CTO

Wow - thank you for the glowing review! Thycotic is only great because of the wonderful people on the team. We will definitely take on your comments about possibly feeling overwhelmed or ... More

9. "Gap for engineers"

Former Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Thycotic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Thycotic is, as other reviews have said, an extremely fast paced company. For an engineer, you will solve hard engineering problems, this isn't just a LOB application that you spend putting data in a database day-in-and-day-out. You'll likely work with something you have zero experience with and be expected to figure it out. That could be a bad thing, but if you are like me, you like new challenges.

- Benefits are mostly competitive.

- The entire company is made up of genuinely good people. They are friendly to work with and I have made some real friends working there.

- The engineers are made up of very smart people, from junior to senior. Their interview process is quite thorough, both technically and culturally. Working with bad people should be at the bottom of your worries here.

- The development team's code quality is good. Compared to some of the other rat's nests I've worked in, the products are well developed with good engineering disciplines, just old ones (more on that in Cons).

- While most developers put forward a good ~45 hours a week, there was no expectation of "all nighters" trying to get something done.

- My rating of CEO is neutral because I did not work for the company while he was CEO. He very well may be a fantastic CEO.

Cons

- Development team is disproportionate. Most of the senior developers are either team leads and stuck in meetings, or are constantly being involved in upper-tier levels of support. This leaves junior developers to fend for themselves.

- Career paths are muddled for developers.

- There was no formal training budget for engineers. Instead there was a "goals" program where you are financially rewarded with a bonus for doing things on your own time, off the clock. The company however urges you to do spend this time developing features for the product, so it's not exactly a good opportunity to get out of your comfort zone and learn something new. Management will claim that that isn't the intent of goals, but that's just how they are actually being used, intentional or not. There is a budget for conference attendance, however most developers opted to forgo that benefit for cash. Conferences are not a substitute for training, either.

- The technology stack is aging. It's still an ASP.NET WebForms project and progress on adopting something like MVC has been going on for years, and not a single feature had been developed in MVC for the flagship product that 90% of dev time goes. To be clear, I'm not talking about a rewrite, I'm talking about even doing new work going forward. MVC has been used in extremely limited quantities, none of which I would say is an attempt to seriously adopt MVC. Even greenfield projects tend to start in WebForms because most new projects, which are rare, are re-toolings of existing an existing code base. This is often met with "we're on a tight deadline" but that has been the tune for years. There is one notable exception to this where a project was developed completely in MVC, but it was indefinitely shelved and only two or three people ever even looked at the code.

Advice to Management

- Take negative feedback seriously. There is a tendency to view negative feedback as persnicketiness by management.

- Spend money on your developers' training. Because the flagship product is required to work with some very complicated niche technologies that aren't easy to hire experience for, you need to train them. Doing in-house training with people that barely know what they are doing in the first place doesn't cut it. Don't cut corners on time, either. A little lunch-n'-learn time is useful, but it's not going to provide the comprehensive knowledge of a multi-day training course, either. Doing it as goals isn't consistent enough.

- Develop a career path program. Work with people, especially juniors, on targeting milestones and rewarding their progress from junior to mid to senior. Give them something to aim for that is concrete and where the expectations are concrete.

Dec 28, 2015 – CTO

Thank you for taking the time to put together such a comprehensive review with so many suggestions for improvement. Regarding career paths for developers - we are currently putting together a job ... More

"Relaxed and Focused"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture here seems to be extremely healthy. They have taken great effort to maintain an emphasis on personal growth, teamwork, and hard work and it shows through all of my interactions through the interview process, on boarding, and my daily interactions with my new coworkers.

Cons

The only thing that I miss from my previous work experiences would be that there is no company cell phone policy.

Advice to Management

Continue with the targeted hiring, and stay ahead of the need. It's really great that we are a forward thinking company, but if we are ever reacting instead of preparing that will be when we fail.

May 7, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. Thycotic is a very people-focused company and we work hard to find the right team members and create the best collaborative environment. Sometimes ... More

11. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Catered weekly lunches
    -Free Thycotic gear
    -Lots of autonomy
    -Fun outings and activities
    -Informal, fun but still professional

Cons

None to speak of, but If you like lots of very formal structure, this might not be the place for you.

May 7, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for adding your perspective - always appreciate the feedback and glad to hear that we are doing things right. The weekly team lunches really help with team bonding. I am also pleased that we ... More