Thycotic Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Thycotic CEO James Legg
James Legg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "If you're a self-motivated individual that likes autonomy - this is a great place to be in sales" (in 8 reviews)

• "Fast growing software company with TONS of growth potential" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains but knowing you can always ask for help and advice helps a lot" (in 9 reviews)

• "Growing as fast as we are, some days I can't get it all done - but I always know who to ask for help when needed" (in 3 reviews)

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really have nothing but good things to say. Every manager that I have worked with here has been so knowledgeable and supportive, which really helps you succeed and flourish in a sales role. Something that I really appreciate is their openness about feedback and they are constantly looking for ways to improve. We are modernizing this market and our products will continue to have a huge edge over the competition. There are endless opportunities to succeed here.

Cons

No cons. Just work hard and you will be rewarded!

"Great Company - Enough of the Negativity Already"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Thycotic is a fast growing company and I challenge anyone to find a better company in the security space. With rapid growth over the last four years the company has changed and will have to continue adapting to be successful. For those with all of the negative comments - it is good you have either moved on, or you should think about it. Sales is a contact sport and in this market and at the level we are now playing it is not easy - it requires hard work. Glad to be here

Cons

With growth there will be some pain and changes - oh well that's life. No big deal.

Advice to Management

Remain transparent and continue to coach, mentor and motivate employees. Happy employees will make customers happy.

"Great product and great people"

Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product is great and coworkers are supportive. Promising market that only has three real players. Benefits offered to employees are excellent as well. Prime location in the heart of DC allows for an easy commute for employees living in the DMV area. If you're a self-motivated individual that likes autonomy - this is a great place to be in sales. While focus on individual metrics can very from manager to manager, it is a comfortable environment.

Cons

Although the office is in a great location, it's reaching its capacity and is becoming a little dated. If you're not willing to devote extra work or ask for help (training is brief and is reliant on you shadowing others and learning on the fly), this may not be the place for you - at least from the sales side.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage feedback, but have an open mind to what people have to say. While many would take management up on its open door policy offer - others are hesitant. Reach out to people that aren't doing well to find out why, and reach out to people doing well to see how they can help their teams and coworkers. Unofficial team lead or mentor roles could offer a stepping stone to promotion while benefiting new hires and coworkers that are struggling.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Thycotic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good space to be in. Everyone works hard.

Cons

Not enough supporting resources.

"Spectacular Organization - Highly Recommend"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative & Team Lead for International in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Thycotic part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being part of an industry as meaningful as IT security has many positives. Management is excellent - they are constantly willing to help you improve and meet goals. Thycotic invests heavily in its' employees and strives to maintain positive morale. I was impressed by the flexibility Thycotic offered to remote workers. I've worked remotely for two-and-a-half years with Thycotic, and have never felt out of touch with my team or my manager. At Thycotic, we work together to enable group success and growth. I've never felt out of place with Thycotic and hope to be with the team for many more years to come.

Cons

Minor headwinds are natural for a company growing as quickly as Thycotic. Employees are expected to improve over time, and for some it may seem to be too quick for comfort. Thycotic has always supplied the resources and support to aid in our improvement - and it has built a more viable workforce. Given the circumstance and outlook at Thycotic, it is palpable for some to be frustrated by the pressures of growth, but I cannot recall a time that I have been flustered without a manager or colleague nearby to guide me.

Advice to Management

Genuinely have little advice to management that could improve conditions. I've always worked with excellent managers who I consider mentors. I think this can be attributed to how interconnected we are as a motivated and satisfied organization. Not only are our managers great leaders, but they are also great friends and down-to-earth people.

"I love it here, but some warning signs"

I have been working at Thycotic full-time

Pros

This is the most helpful group of individuals I have ever worked with. Not just my team, but many individuals across the company go out of their way to help me with things that in other companies, would get shoved into a system and never looked at. I can't stress how much this helpful culture has allowed me to enjoy my job. After being in other companies where job protection and deflecting based on 'not my job' is the norm, this is really appreciated.

I have been well compensated for my work, although at times it's been a little late coming. This is nothing unique to this company though!

Remote staff are invited to the office more than I have previously experienced, though with growth I worry this will decrease rather than increase. It's good to feel part of a team.

Cons

Growing really fast which is a good thing, but the way it's being done is clearly focused on an exit. Race to $100M, and using a tried and tested 'brute force' sales method. It works, but I'm glad I'm not in sales! Other teams aren't keeping up with the pace of sales (hiring) and it's showing. A company looks more attractive if the software it makes is cheaper to support, and rather than make documentation and QA better (I know we're trying here, but it's not enough yet), support is really suffering from the change in strategy.

Advice to Management

Make your vision clearer. Hire more Dev, QA, and support staff than you are already planning to, as we're not keeping up.

"Embrace The Grind to Reach New Peaks of Success"

I have been working at Thycotic full-time

Pros

Change is challenging. Change exposes weaknesses. Change builds strength. Thycotic is on the cusp of radically changing the Privileged Access Management market. Thycotic leadership has revealed the vision that if achieved will result in a remarkable, life changing organization. However, it will take a daily focus to execute, produce and win. Embrace The Grind in 2019!

Cons

Thycotic's leadership validation that individuals needs to be coached differently to maintain focus and motivation. Peel back the metrics to reveal what passions, adversities and dreams exist in the heart and soul of Thycotic's people.

Advice to Management

Reinforce daily, weekly, monthly by what achieving Thycotic's vision, goals and market success will ultimately mean to Thycotic's people and their families.

"Not the company it used to be"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and good product, easy to implement. Located in downtown DC next to a metro station so getting into work is simple and easy. Young company, occasional free lunches and sales contests. Used to be a great place to work so I still have some hope they can turn it around.

Cons

Expanding far too fast, especially on the sales side. Management is planning to expand headcount by a third next year even though less than half the sales team is hitting their targets! Three senior sales reps have recently left, in addition to several that left a few months ago. Sales strategy is lacking and consists of just brute force heavy cold calling with little direction or logic. Sales turnover is very high since once you sign on you realize that you have very few inbound leads (downloads of a super general resource such as an ebook titled "cybersecurity for dummies" doesn't count as a valid lead since they're almost always an irrelevant contact who has no interest or need for our product) and territories are constantly shrinking even as more and more reps miss their quota. Base pay isn't great and doesn't make up for the fact that you almost certainly won't hit quota. If you're thinking about joining then ask to see the salesforce reports that show the previous 6 or 12 month sales for the territory they're hiring for. I guarantee you'll get excuses or no callback because no one in their right mind and who isn't desperate for a job would take a sales job here knowing that they're more likely than not to miss their targets. Just look at the trend in Glassdoor ratings over the last year for the DC office: from 4.9 down to 4.2 and still dropping.

Advice to Management

You'll all make your money when the company is sold, how about a sales strategy that allows the rest of us to make some money too?

"Bring back the Good Old Days"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Thycotic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good start-up for anyone interested in the tech field. Near Metro and food trunks. Even if you decide not to work long-term, this is a great company to learn the ropes for better employment down the road.

Cons

It pains me to read some of the recent negative reviews about Thycotic, because I remember the company before it was sold. Now, under the existing ownership, the culture is slowly turning sour because of unrealistic high growth expectations.
    But to be fair, the seeds of despair were already being planted long before the Big change. Inexperienced sales managers were being hired with little venting due to a hasty hiring process. Onboard training was being rushed. Mentorship was almost nonexistent. Favoritism crept in.
    But despite that, the company has its charm. It developed a can-do spirit, an us against the world, attitude It had a friendly culture, but beneath its veneer hide malcontent and negative employees that would sometimes undercut and sabotaged naïve but well-meaning employees who were blinded by a culture that eventually twisted into a cult.
    The company now appears to be nothing more than a churn and burn entity, slowly grinding good salespeople into cold calling robots, as they bang the phones in hopes of meeting excessive quotas.

Advice to Management

Turn back the clock. Go back to your roots. It’s not too late.

"Don’t work here"

Former Employee - Sales Operations in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Thycotic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. They don’t pay well compared to other software companies

Cons

Long hours, bad management, greedy management not good work place culture

Advice to Management

Pay your people what they deserve

Thycotic Response

Jan 28, 2019 – vp of hr

Hello, Thycotic has never had any Sales Operations staff located in San Francisco. Are you sure you have the correct company?