Thycotic Reviews | Glassdoor

Thycotic CEO James Legg
James Legg

1. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working on difficult problems
    Occasionally integrating new software
    Great people to work with

Cons

Increasingly corporate atmosphere
    Tighter and tighter deadlines
    Large tech support burden on development

Apr 8, 2017 – CTO

Thanks for taking the time to provide your review. So glad to hear that you enjoy the people on the team - Thycotic has such a great bunch of people.

2. "Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great tech.
    Growing space
    Strong roadmap
    Industry leading product

Cons

More players are coming into the space

Advice to Management

nothing ... they are doing a great job

Apr 8, 2017 – CTO

Thanks for your review and validation of the stuff we are doing at Thycotic. We couldn't do it without all the great folks on the team. :)

"Thycotic is heading in the right direction!"

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing company! One of the better team oriented office environments that I've seen and the location of the office is great, as well (2 blocks from the White House!) Amazing product with the right leadership to handle the hyper-growth that the company is experiencing right now.

Cons

Just like with any growing company, there are growing pains. Sometimes short on resources but that is changing with all of the hiring Thycotic is doing this year.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and do not let your foot off of the pedal.

"Best place to work in D.C.!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been here for almost four years and have had the best career experience ever. Thycotic has truly let me grow into the career path that I wanted to take and has always challenged me. There are incredible benefits and the top talent in Washington, D.C. to learn from. We have grown tremendously, but our wonderful culture has not changed. Our management focuses on employee happiness and growth. What more can you ask for? If you are up for a challenge and want to work for a leading IT security company, Thycotic is the company for you. But don't worry about work-life balance, Thycotic is extremely flexible and offers incredible vacation time.

Cons

I really only have amazing things to say about Thycotic, but one con is that as we are grow (with any company) there can be a few growing pains and adjusting to new ways, but it's all a part of the experience.

Advice to Management

As we continue to grow please keep our same culture and work-outings! And please continue to listen to your employees.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Thycotic full-time

Pros

I am relatively new to Thycotic. I was working for Arellia before we were acquired by Thycotic about a month ago. That being said, so far I have been happy with the acquisition and the new colleagues I work with. Everyone seems to be hardworking and willing to help each other when needed.

Cons

As a growing company scheduling meetings with employees across the world has occasionally been challenging. There is also more software development process than I am used to.

Advice to Management

I love swag and would love the ability to get more. As part of the acquisition we got the new hire welcome kit that included a t-shirt, mousepad, water bottle, and usb bottle-opener, but it's always fun to get more.

"Growing Company & Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I simply do not have enough time, nor words, to describe the joy I feel every day coming to work for Thycotic. Everyone is always glad to see me, and I am glad to see everyone. There is a constant air of positivity and success that permeates the very fabric of Thycotic and its employees.

Cons

The rate of the company's growth can make the individual feel a little overwhelmed and/or underappreciated. It is hard, at times, to see personal feelings of accomplishment and success within the scope of how many new employees are hired or how many more things the company drives to achieve for each milestone.

Advice to Management

Do not change too much of the informal/social aspects of the company. The atmosphere is fantastic and the fostered sense of everyone working together despite being in different departments is vital to the company's continued growth and success.

Feb 2, 2016 – CTO

Wow - thank you for the glowing review! Thycotic is only great because of the wonderful people on the team. We will definitely take on your comments about possibly feeling overwhelmed or ... More

"Relaxed and Focused"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture here seems to be extremely healthy. They have taken great effort to maintain an emphasis on personal growth, teamwork, and hard work and it shows through all of my interactions through the interview process, on boarding, and my daily interactions with my new coworkers.

Cons

The only thing that I miss from my previous work experiences would be that there is no company cell phone policy.

Advice to Management

Continue with the targeted hiring, and stay ahead of the need. It's really great that we are a forward thinking company, but if we are ever reacting instead of preparing that will be when we fail.

May 7, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review. Thycotic is a very people-focused company and we work hard to find the right team members and create the best collaborative environment. Sometimes ... More

8. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Catered weekly lunches
    -Free Thycotic gear
    -Lots of autonomy
    -Fun outings and activities
    -Informal, fun but still professional

Cons

None to speak of, but If you like lots of very formal structure, this might not be the place for you.

May 7, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for adding your perspective - always appreciate the feedback and glad to hear that we are doing things right. The weekly team lunches really help with team bonding. I am also pleased that we ... More

"Awesome job"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, great location, awesome management, astounding benefits, and overall just a great atmosphere.

Cons

Constantly challenged to grow your horizons and expand your abilities.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work, and provide more feedback to your employees.

Sep 6, 2014 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We will look at ways to provide more feedback - we did just start a 360 degree review program using an outside 3rd party - this is helping to get more info for the leaders ... More

10. "Constant Learning, Great Environment for an Intern"

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Thycotic as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As an intern, I pair with the full-time software engineers and do the same things they do. There are no boring intern tasks that undervalue my skills - I work on real product code that goes into production. I learn a lot from my experienced co-workers and we learn a lot together when we come across an issue neither of us have experience with. There are a lot of very intelligent programmers here to learn from and share ideas with, making everyone a better software engineer at the end of the day. I also get a prorated amount of vacation days since I'm part-time, which NONE of my friends in college with internships receive. The company also offers the option to pre-load your metro SmartTrip card at the beginning of the month and take out those funds pre-income tax, which is a small but helpful benefit. There is no limit to the amount of hours I can work so long as there is work to be done, and Thycotic is VERY flexible and reasonable regarding my schedule with college. There are no unrealistic expectations for me and an unlimited amount of opportunities to learn new things here, making it a joy to come to work. No one is overly critical or judgmental in the workplace - ideas are valued and shared on a regular basis, and decisions are usually team-based (even if subject to approval of those higher in the chain of command). Similarly, management is usually readily available if questions need to be answered or advice needs to be given. The development process allows for every bit of code to be reviewed by several pairs of eyes, allowing many opportunities for feedback from different engineers. Location-wise, Thycotic is very close to the Farragut North and Farragut West metro stations, so the walk to them is only about a block or two - this makes the DC commute a bit less daunting. The overall laid-back and productive environment of Thycotic make it a great place to work without micro-management or criticism - there are rarely any "slow days" where work seems to drag on and be unproductive.

Cons

The commute to DC can be rough and time-consuming for some people - my commute to and from work is 1.5 hours one way (this is definitely worth considering when working anywhere in DC, and not wholly specific to Thycotic by any means). Although the pay for interns is fair, I know several (intern) peers in college who work elsewhere with higher hourly rates than mine ($17/hr, $18.50/hr, $21/hr) - this is mediated by the benefit of paid time off (which none of those interns receive) and the flexible schedule I work. While some may prefer a higher hourly rate for a high-level part-time internship, it is worth taking those things into account when talking about compensation, along with the constant learning/growing as a programmer and possibility of becoming a full-time employee down the road - being an intern at Thycotic pays off in the long run in more ways than just the monthly paycheck. Speaking of which, the monthly pay can be tricky for some people to deal with - most companies are bi-weekly or even weekly, but this is really a personal preference that will just have to be adjusted when working at a company that pays monthly.

Advice to Management

One-on-one meetings are definitely a great time to address any concerns and give any praise where it is due - interns especially value positive feedback to let them know that they are pulling their weight and improving from where they started. My experiences in the past six months I have been employed at Thycotic, including the one-on-one meetings I have had with management have been very pleasant and productive - this is merely forward-looking advice.

Nov 4, 2014 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to write this review - and for being so thorough - really appreciated. I think this will be really helpful for other interns considering joining our team. I am glad ... More