TiER1 Performance Solutions Consultant Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

TiER1 Performance Solutions Consultant Reviews

Updated Aug 27, 2019

4.3
TiER1 Performance Solutions CEO & Founding Partner Greg Harmeyer (no image)
Greg Harmeyer
  1. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at TiER1 Performance Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work! First and foremost, I love working with such smart, talented and creative people. There is a lot of passion in delivering highly effective solutions to clients and exceeding their expectation. To be successful, you must be up for a challenge, enjoy the fast pace, be willing to flex with the busy times and be able to find clarity in the complex. I couldn't be more proud to work here.

Cons

If you're someone who likes a lot of structure, finds comfort in the predictable and needs constant affirmation this is not the right place for you.

2. "Many good aspects"

Former Employee - Principal Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at TiER1 Performance Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Management seems to be sincerely trying hard to create a great company. Definitely one of the better places I have worked in a long career.

Cons

Management could communicate strategy better. As they have grown they have struggled with keeping a balance of developing people and meeting their financial goals. Distributed authority sometimes feels chaotic and overtly political.

Advice to Management

Examine your commitment to developing people and bringing out the full potential in the wonderful people who work there.

TiER1 Performance Solutions2019-08-27

"Like no other company I've ever worked (totally awesome)"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant

Pros

TiER1 is the best company I've ever worked for. The three founders are the best people on earth - kind and giving. They constantly surprise employees with rewards and recognition, and have had a significant positive impact on my whole life. I'm respected, paid very well, I receive regular and significant bonuses and my efforts are recognized quite regularly. TiER1 hires the best people, and they constantly teach me and encourage me and help me develop. I am a better consultant because I work at TiER1, a better leader, and most importantly, I'm a better person. TiER1 is very service-minded, offering scholarships for time off to do volunteer work. Leadership also encourages community involvement, and actively enables employees to do volunteer work, serve on boards, attend community events and more. The organization believes in giving back to our regional communities where we live and work. Our owners inspire me to be an active, contributing and kind member of our community, which is yet another way that they help my personal growth and development. I am who I am because TiER1 provides such a great environment, place to work and support of its people. The entire leadership team puts our people first - no matter what.

Cons

You need to be a highly motivated high performer. If you need someone to lay out your tasks for you on a regular basis, drive your development for you, require strong oversight or like very defined hierarchical reporting structures, you likely won't thrive at TiER1. If you want to contribute to the culture, demonstrate initiative, have a positive outlook on life and assume positive intent, you'll love TiER1.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. I've never had more positive, impactful leaders, mentors and role models. You all are amazing, and I can't imagine working anywhere else. LOVE YOU, TiER1!!

TiER1 Performance Solutions2015-11-13
  4. "Great culture, fantastic leadership, amazing clients"

Current Employee - Principal Consultant

I have been working at TiER1 Performance Solutions full-time for more than a year

Pros

TiER1 Performance Solutions was founded by three core individuals (Greg, Norm and Kevin) and even though this core group has varying degrees of interaction with the company today their entrepreneurial spirit carries over to current employee base. This company has a very supportive culture and is focused on helping people do their best work. That may mean offering coaching, providing employees with growth opportunities or taking risks which at times means 'failing forward' - we often learn more from our mistakes that from our successes. TiER1 is growing rapidly to meet a healthy pipeline of client demand. With that comes the need to evaluate and update internal processes that may have become outdated or are unable to sustain the growth trajectory. The leadership team is very proactive in making core infrastructure changes (operating model, HR practices, core technology) to support the growth required to be successful. Great work to all who make TiER1 a great place to work!

Cons

As with most small/medium sized companies who are growing rapidly, there comes some ambiguity that may make some people uncomfortable. Employees who thrive at TiER1 are focused on finding solutions instead of being limited by problems. It's safe to say that this isn't the right environment for everybody. It takes someone who has an entrepreneurial spirit and doesn't shy from challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing the boundaries and challenging current processes.

TiER1 Performance Solutions2015-11-13

"Some of the best people I've ever been around."

Current Employee - Consultant in Covington, KY

I have been working at TiER1 Performance Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

First, in full disclosure, I’m Greg Harmeyer, CEO and one of the co-founders of TiER1 Performance Solutions. My views of TiER1 are admittedly a little biased. But I’ve worked here pretty much since the beginning so I thought they were also relevant. The positives: The people at TiER1 are some of the best people I’ve ever been around in my life. Hands down how people treat each other and the level of compassion people have for others is the best thing about the company. (A close second is the level of talent they have). The character, personal values, commitment to great work, and compassion for others that exist are both humbling and inspiring. If you walk into a TiER1 office, you will feel the energy, camaraderie and warmth. It is a special environment and the people make it so. It is a growing organization. It has grown about 25% per year and is profitable. It will grow about 25% in 2014 and we project similar growth in 2015. Profitable growth is a “pro” because it provides both a secure environment and opportunities for individual growth. It has been amazing to watch people flourish here; I certainly have grown considerably. TiER1 is low on structure. It is very client-centric and client focused and doesn’t have a lot of bureaucracy. If you prefer a lot of structure and/or direction it may not be the best environment. It has a great deal of transparency (ironically, our main office has “glass doors”….and glass walls as well). Everything – strategies, financials, successes and failures, underperforming projects - is shared openly with everyone. People at TiER1 will do anything to help each other professionally and personally. I have seen countless situations where people have faced personal challenges and the entire organization has rallied around them. It is one of the many reasons I am deeply connected to the people here. TiER1 has two central core values: People and Performance. The company philosophy is that People are at the center of our lives and our work. This is true in the relationships we have with our clients and in the actual work we do. But it is also true internally; the organization consistently puts the well-being of people above everything else. But Performance also matters. The organization has high expectations. People that do well at TiER1 have high expectations of themselves and love being around other high-performers. If you like being challenged and being around others who do, it’s a good environment. If you prefer more predictability and consistency in the work environment, it’s probably difficult. It is, fundamentally, a client-driven consulting organization. That means there are often real deadlines and real demands placed upon people. This is the nature of professional services. While most people’s work weeks are very reasonable, it is a professional environment. You shouldn’t expect a 40 hour work week to be typical and if you do, it’s not the right place for you. On the other side, you have tremendous flexibility to manage your life. (There really is no excuse for you to miss events with your kids…anyone here at TiER1 will help you manage your work so that you don’t have to.) Overall, for me, it's been a great place to work. There are days where it can be challenging. There are always opportunities to improve; there exists a great deal of openness in seeking ways to get better and we're continually getting ideas surfaced. The best evidence that it is, on the whole, a good place to work is the nearly dozen awards as a Best Place to Work in Cincinnati and Pittsburgh (awards given based on annual anonymous all employee surveys). That said, meeting and talking to the people who work at TiER1 is far more compelling. While most reviews on this site are anonymous and for good reason, anonymity keeps you from knowing the context of the individuals. It can make an assessment of the company challenging. If you really want to know something about TiER1 - or any company - I'd suggest you talk to people who work there. If you don't know anyone at TiER1, connect with someone on LinkedIn and I'm sure they will be happy to help. I'm also certain you'll get an honest opinion.

Cons

The cons: Growth can be a con because sometimes it stresses the organization; we do have a unwavering commitment to delivering to our clients. Sometimes in a growing environment that can be demanding. If you are looking for a predictable 40 hour work week, this isn't the right place. It’s a growing company with big dreams. Sometimes the resources to realize those are stretched thin. TiER1 rewards initiative, but expects initiative. If you don’t assert yourself, you might struggle. Developing relationships w high performing mentors and career advisors is very important to help with this. It is a very flat environment. Some people are far better suited in something more structured and hierarchical.

TiER1 Performance Solutions2014-10-09

"Amazing culture for high-performers to learn, grow and help others"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

tons of opportunities to stretch and grow, variety of clients, positive culture where "thank yous" abound, value and appreciate the "whole person" (in that they recognize the importance of family, well-being, etc. to your ability to perform and allow a great deal of flexibility for when and how you work. Ability to "jump around" to find the best fit/focus for you.

Cons

High expectations for performance, pressure to be as wonderful as smart and talented as the people you work with (good problem to have!)

Advice to Management

TiER1's leaders do a wonderful job. It's hard to find something to criticize other than the benefits plans are expensive, but this is in line with national trends.

TiER1 Performance Solutions2014-10-06

"I would not work here"

Current Employee - Consultant in Covington, KY

Pros

From the outside, TiER1 does an good job of presenting a good image and making themselves "look good", (glossy marketing, cool office, etc.) but don't be fooled because it's only an illusion. Vacation time is decent. Compensation is fair (health benefits not so much). That's about it, unfortunately. The owners/founders of the company I believe, are genuinely good people but have lost control due to very rapid growth in the last 3 years and poor leadership who lack accountability directly under them, which is really unfortunate. Maybe a good place to work straight out of college to get some experience for a year or maybe two, but that's it.

Cons

Another earlier post here on Glassdoor about TiER1 (“Appearances are Deceiving....”) said it best... "Where to start..." This is a very, very cliquish company. You find out really fast if you are "one of them" or not. If not, your career is basically over at this company. Project management is incredibly poor, and leadership (with the exception of ownership) is even worse. Very little accountability and people throwing everyone under the bus to save their own butts is pretty much the way it goes here. Projects (and ultimately people) are constantly set up for failure due to incompetent leadership. Many long hours, late nights, and weekends cleaning up project catastrophes are the norm. Leadership claims they are open to suggestions, but it is essentially a kiss of death for ever speaking up. Everyone acts as though they are happy, drink the Kool-Aid, and act like the biggest cheerleaders for the company, but at least 80% will tell you in confidence how absolutely miserable they really are. If you are truly a consultant (and not a recent grad) you will likely be miserable as well. Leadership talks about values and culture constantly, but it is amazing how little it is really exercised (and even blatantly ignored). Despite all of this I still like the CEO.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately you are more concerned about rapid growth and profit margins (in all likelihood to try to sell the company) and over the last few years just about everything has spiraled out of control in terms of caring for your biggest and most important asset - your people. You really don't seem to understand (or not even really aware) how disgruntled most of the company is. Your employees may clap their hands and smile at company meetings, but most are pretty miserable and would leave, but there really aren't a ton of options in Cincinnati or Pittsburgh, so they reluctantly stay. You are blowing it. This company has such potential, and there are a lot of hard-working and talented people trying to do their best but get thrown under the bus or stabbed in the back and ultimately demoralized. You say you truly care, but actions speak louder than words. The office politics and gossip (even by your top brass) is very unprofessional.

TiER1 Performance Solutions2014-07-08

"The big learning/performance game in town."

Current Employee - Consultant in Covington, KY

Pros

Growing company and has grown during all of the recession Excellent CEO - company vision Senior staff ramping up for next level of growth Diverse client base and projects A fun group of people to work with. Good community involvement No micromanagement Encouraged to try new things

Cons

Somewhat clickish Expect conservative compensation Less than average benefits although improving as company grows Growth pains. Not necessarily a con but you must be a self-directed person and quickly develop an internal network. People will help you but you must not be shy in asking.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. Keep engaged with employees and study employee engagement

TiER1 Performance Solutions2012-11-20