Tiffany & Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tiffany & Co. Interim CEO & Chairman Michael J. Kowalski
Michael J. Kowalski

Pros
Cons
  • It's retail so work life balance isn't that great but weekends too are when Sales spikes the highest as weekend shoppers and traffic increases (in 35 reviews)

• Extremely limited room for growth or advancement (in 15 reviews)

"Senior Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, comfortable nice work environment, nice people to work with, great iconic brand to work for, nice discount

Cons

Very small raises year over year- less than cost of living even with high PMP review results, very hard to move up- really feel like you can only move laterally,

Advice to Management

Care more about your employee's growth & investing in strong people, Tiffany's is a revolving door because they refuse to stay competitive and instead waste everyone's efforts training people just to lose them a year or two later

"It's great if you work in a Top 25 store, if you don't? Meh."

Former Employee - Sales Professional in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Austin, TX

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great reputation, good (not great) earning potential, good benefits, on-going training, GIA tuition reimbursement. Addition of Francesca Amfitheatrof as first ever female director of design was much needed design "shot in the arm" for a company who's jewelry offerings had gotten stale. Leader in environmental protection practices.

Cons

Poor work/life balance. Political culture. No local advertising outside of NYC, SF, LA, Chicago which inhibits growth and earning potential in other markets. Top 25 stores performance dictates every corporate decision to the detriment of smaller stores with amazing growth potential i.e. merchandise transferred out the same day it arrived for client showings, no marketing/events budgets, et al. On-line business set in direct competition with brick and mortar. Compensation realignment that favors high-volume stores/markets. Base pay not commensurate with local cost of living indexes.
    In the five years I worked for TCO, compensation structure changed, we lost holidays with our families, and hours of operation were extended, even though our anchor (Neiman Marcus) was closed. The company doesn't invest in local advertising so even after being open for eight years, people would still remark daily that they "never knew" there was a store in town. I exceeded my sales plan every year by double digits, I am a producer, and my potential was stunted because I didn't work for one of the "top 25". That is precisely why I left the company. Excellent people are only valued if they work in one of those locations.

Advice to Management

Your store level employees drive your business. It's their relationships with their clients that fuels the company and generates revenue. Base wages need to reflect cost of living in each market, it's not cost-effective to be open on Labor, Memorial, and Independence Days, rediscover the air of exclusivity by limiting store hours to one late night per week and limiting the number of stores. Answer questions and concerns with complete honesty and transparency, rather than vague and misleading CYA platitudes.

3. "Awesome opportunity"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's Tiffany & Co. who wouldn't love working here?? They are a wonderful jeweler, rich history, beautiful jewelry. It was an awesome opportunity.

Cons

Hours were difficult. Pay was low. Holiday hours were terrible, but such is retail life. Probably could have overlooked a lot if the pay was better.

Advice to Management

Higher pay and better rotation of off time

5. "Cash Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time

Pros

The company culture was great. I worked in a small department, everyone got along great and very helpful to one another.

Cons

I was a seasonal employee for several holiday seasons. Difficult to advance to permanent employee coming from this department.

"Tiffany & Co. Seasonal Sales Professional"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Tiffany & Co. part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Houston location had a wonderful management-employee dynamic. Managers are very approachable, employee moral is high, and it's a wonderful work environment.

Cons

The holiday season is hectic, but that is to be expected in retail.

"Wonderful place to build your career"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful products, talented people, great benefits - there is a reason Tiffany has been the best there is since 1837.

Cons

Not much negative to say.

Advice to Management

Really glad to see Mr. Kowalski back - he drove a company culture based on being socially conscientious, having empathy, and doing the right thing.

8. "Hostile work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well known iconic brand. Hard working staff professionals. Nice blue boxes. Not much else to say but I need more words...

Cons

Horrible and hostile work environment. Senior Management should not consider themselves leaders in any way. They only care about the bottom line. They talk a big game about caring for their employees and have beautiful marketing material to promote it. The truth is their employees are at the bottom of their priority list. Good luck if you are truly ill and need time off. They will target you, give you a poor review and make your work life terrible until you are asked to leave or you are fortunate enough to leave on your own. I've seen multiple coworkers be impacted in this way. It's surprising there aren't more lawsuits pending their unlawful actions.

Advice to Management

Start caring more for your employees, who do so much to better the company. Provide a clearer and consistent direction and stay the course for more than a minute.

9. "Poor local managment"

Former Employee - Operations in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Operations in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You are working for the most well known high end jewelry company in the world. Great benefits. Good pay.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities at store level and beyond. Snakes for managers. They never have your back even if they told you to do something. Always asked to compromise your duties, then punished for it later in reviews.

Advice to Management

Promote the people that were handling managment duties without the title. Don't stifle their careers to use them as pawns so you don't have to work as much. And find managers that lead instead of panic.

"Operations Review-Atlanta-Phipps Plaza"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Tiffany & Co. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

learn how to clean jewelry, small employee discount, nice compensation package

Cons

The operations staff is completely different from the sales staff. With that said, from my experience, the operations staff is unruly and it seemed like management did not have it together. As a result, the staff ran many of the managers. I expected more from Tiffany. However, it was like working for an organization that caters to recently rehabilitated inmates. Now, I don't like anything from Tiffany's. It was the worst job I've ever had.

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tiffany & Co. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and good quality product

Cons

Senior Management do not understand retail and are slow to react in a fast changing retail environment. Not enough product to support the number of stores across the company. Unreal expectations for store management especially in the areas of appearance and client outreach. No support for stores to grow business with high ROI goals.

Advice to Management

Used to be a great company to work for, but has lost its way and is not competitive in the marketplace.