Tigard-Tualatin School District Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 8, 2017

3.9
Ernest Brown

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Students learn here!"

Current Employee - Licensed Teacher in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Licensed Teacher in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Tigard-Tualatin School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Good district training. Wonderful staff to work with. Licensed pay is on par with the metro area. This is truly a wonderful place to work! It is very hard work but the rewards are outstanding! Our current district office upper level staff are amazing. I have a tremendous amount of confidence in our current superintendent. You are always encouraged to get further training and there are funds set aside for that. There are advancement opportunities for those with high skills and inclination. Knowledgeable staff among one's peers and at the district level.

Cons

Long hours. But you expect that in this field. Would be nice if there was more reimbursement for common things teachers need to purchase for students. The district does do a good job at providing what they can from donations for back packs and supplies for the start of the year, but some basic supplies are not available. There is a employee allowance for purchasing items for the classroom, but the needs are larger.

Advice to Management

What would be nice would perhaps be a central location that employees could pick up needed supplies for students. This is partly already done, but often the supplies really needed are those that the district has not gotten donations for. It would also be nice for the district to provide a way for schools to receive nutritious snacks for students who cannot afford to bring in their own snacks. In elementary school it is difficult for students without snacks to watch their peers eating snacks during snack time.

2. "teacher"

I have been working at Tigard-Tualatin School District full-time

Pros

It is a great place to work.

Cons

It can be stressful and draining.

3. "The school district not only gives amazing support to the students, family & community, but also the staff."

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Tigard, OR

I have been working at Tigard-Tualatin School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The school District offers continuous training to make sure that we know the latest on education, behavior and how to work with students, as well as computer and basic knowledge of how the school functions.

Cons

I can't think of a single con. I feel supported by not only the staff, my peers, but also the families of the students that we work with. I would highly recommend working for the Tigard - Tualatin School District.

4. "Substitute"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beaverton, OR

Pros

There are many schools in the district.

Cons

Too many short shifts so a day will not be a full work day. Not enough vacancies to keep all of the subs busy. Employees are asked to find the sub themselves so many vacancies never even reach absence management.

Advice to Management

Combine some short shift jobs. Offer more money per hour for short shifts.

5. "Substitute teacher"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in Tigard, OR

I worked at Tigard-Tualatin School District part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Students at elementary level were a joy to work with. Lessons plans left were easy to understand. Regular teachers appreciated a sub bringing a guitar.

Cons

Under used for my experience as a full time educator with a master's degree. The haphazard way quotas for remaining a sub was handled poorly.

Advice to Management

Middle school and above need to provide more activities for substitute teachers, especially for the special education teachers. Behavior problems occurred often when not enough work was provided.

6. "The work was fantastic, if you were placed with the right team."

Former Employee - Substitute Food Service Assistant in Tigard, OR
    Former Employee - Substitute Food Service Assistant in Tigard, OR

I worked at Tigard-Tualatin School District part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I simply LOVED working there, because serving lunch to the kids is one of my favorite jobs! The teams I was placed with were friendly, for the most part, and helpful to me as a newcomer. It was great to be sent back to the same place more than once (I was a substitute helper), and to learn I'd been asked for by name. The staff are always good at making sure the children behave well in the cafeteria, and the Tigard-Tualatin School District is the best in the world.

I'd go back in a heart-beat, except standing for hours at a time is no longer my forte. But I definitely recommend the job for anyone in need of a lift, because the kids will always give you that. :)

Cons

One challenge I found at this job was being placed with a few people who are not willing to work with anyone new. But these are few and far between. The other was having only a few hours of work at any given assignment. But I feel sure this would have lessened over time. Of course, standing for 4 hours in a row is difficult for some people. Other than that I can't think of anything really negative about the job.

Advice to Management

Make sure the food service workers at each school retain their team attitude as they become used to their position, so that substitutes are not alienated. Provide more thick plastic aprons for each dishwasher. Request feedback from each substitute at each assignment.

"The place where educators go to die"

I worked at Tigard-Tualatin School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people in the schools and helping kids makes this a really worth wild company to work for.

Cons

To many decisions are based solely on who suggested the idea, for example you could give a great presentation to show the benefits of a program and get shot down. The administrators friend could propose the same idea weeks later and become head of the program. Lot's of nepotism going on here.

Advice to Management

Just because someone has been there for 20 years doesn't

8. "Love the small town district!"

Current Contractor - Substitute in Tualatin, OR
    Current Contractor - Substitute in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at Tigard-Tualatin School District as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

It has a really nice small town feel :)

Cons

The atmosphere between schools is VERY different!

Advice to Management

Be more welcoming to the public and on-call staff.

"A drain on my life............................but not enitrely"

Former Employee - Building Monitor in Tualatin, OR
    Former Employee - Building Monitor in Tualatin, OR

Pros

Pretty diescent wage and hours, Teacher staff and MOST building users are great to work with, Simple job tasks, at least one of the three supervisors was good to work with

Cons

IMMENSE lack of feedback, could be called up at random if another employee ditches their job, being on your own most of the time, a few (but certainly not all) building users are difficult to deal with

Advice to Management

Let's see how should I put this? Oh OK now I've got the exact words...................................INVEST MORE TIME INTO EVALUATING YOUR EMPLOYEES FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!!!!

10. "Godd place to start"

Current Employee - Building Monitor in Tigard, OR
    Current Employee - Building Monitor in Tigard, OR

Pros

Excellent beginner part-time work, hours are not too bad, above average part-time pay

Cons

hours (though not too bad) can be unpredictable, isolated most of the time during work

Advice to Management

More inspection of employee performance needed, other than that it's a pretty good job