Tiger Oak Publications Reviews | Glassdoor

Tiger Oak Publications Reviews

Updated Nov 27, 2019

2.8
Tiger Oak Publications Owner Craig Bednar (no image)
Craig Bednar

"Advertising"

in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Tiger Oak Publications

Pros

Great company with a great way to show you're true strengths and skill set. Making you're own schedule is one of the perks, and being in control of you're own destiny - I have a great team that I love working with.

Cons

You have to be a self motivator in order to succeed here.

Tiger Oak Publications2016-04-20
  2. "A new beginning"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Tiger Oak Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

The owner has always allowed and trusted his managers to work and execute their positions at the highest level. Unfortunately, not all managers have deserved such freedom and have not performed adequately therefore turnover has been high.

Cons

Some negative employees who need to get behind the solution or leave

Advice to Management

Hold all employees to a high performance standard. Employees should be proactive as this company has an opportunity now to evolve into a great place to work.

Tiger Oak Publications2019-11-27

"More Cons Than Pros"

I worked at Tiger Oak Publications full-time

Pros

•dog friendly •casual atmosphere (jeans every day is acceptable) •flexibility to work from home •creative freedom •full kitchen •not necessarily a 9-5 (some people prefer 7-3, 10-6, etc) •incredible, talented people •potlucks, company outings, bonding opportunities •beautiful magazines that are loved by community members

Cons

•parking costs are not covered •401K plan has no match •if starting entry level, no real stepping stones (you’re high or low on the ladder, there isn’t much in-between) •high turnover •financial struggles/insecurity (several instances of late paychecks, currently trying to climb out of bankruptcy) •investments have the wrong focus (lots of $$ is spent on employee travel but none is invested in our own... advertising. the publishing industry has become increasingly digital and we hardly invest any resources in that space) •moral/ethical dilemmas arise (example: you have to enforce that others must prepay and we will not work until we get money, yet we have been late on payments or have not paid at all in many instances) •many vendor relationships soured over lack of payment •huge gap between the Minneapolis and Seattle offices - different processes, foci, culture, and time zones •heavy gossip/rumor environment. new ideas will get you some support accompanied by lots of backlash •lack of communication from upper management until something is trivial •pay is much higher elsewhere for the same type of work •when someone leaves, you have to take over bits and pieces of their job - a replacement may or may not be hired •VERY low PTO your first two years •no adequate training - with 80-90% turnover this last year, it was impossible for everything to be passed on to the newbies, leaving gaps in important job duties & processes •each department has different goals, which is often divisive rather than creating a better overall product in the end

Advice to Management

•Hire an Internal Communications Coordinator. Allow them to communicate things - big and small - so that employees know what is going on. Use this to bridge the gap between upper management and the rest of the company. A feedback loop could easily be created where management is aware of employee successes and struggles without it coming at a cost due to the middleman. •Invest in digital. When we look at companies... in our industry that have successfully emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy, it is because once they got right with creditors, every future financial decision was strategic. Create a 3, 5, and 10 year plan for the company. Have positions focus completely on the digital aspect of our magazines. Such beautiful products are not being properly pushed, promoted, and talked about overall. •Set processes in both offices so that there are clear expectations in terms of deadlines, events, brand standards, quarterly goals, etc. •Reassess the benefits and tweak them to actually benefit employees. 10 PTO days including vacation time, sick time, mental health days, and unforeseen events is just not enough.

Tiger Oak Publications2019-11-06

"Failing company"

Former Employee - Advertising Sales

I worked at Tiger Oak Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours for sales, and that’s it.

Cons

Upper management lacks in any type of communication and does not care about or respect employees, which after the 2 years invested I learned my lesson things will not change and to move myself forward.

Advice to Management

respond to your employers and pay them if you want to keep them

Tiger Oak Publications2019-10-10

"Lots of Cons"

I worked at Tiger Oak Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some flexibility in work schedule

Cons

Tiger Oak Media is the worst place I’ve ever worked. Turnover is very high, especially in leadership, and most who stay wish they could afford to leave. They pay freelancers and vendors anywhere from 6 months to TWO YEARS late, they have been late making payroll more than 5 times in the past year, and often force employees to incur business expenses without reimbursing within a reasonable amount of time – in some... cases up to four months, which if put on a credit card, as you can imagine, can rack up quite a bit of interest (which of course is not paid back). In addition to all this, the accounting department rarely responds to employees regarding payment and almost never will they respond to freelancer/vendor inquiries, leaving other employees to bear the brunt of the nasty calls and emails demanding payment. Sometimes employees would even get letters from lawyers threatening a trip to small claims court or a full-on lawsuit, which, when passed along to the CEO, was replied to with a “Don’t worry about it, they won’t actually do anything.” Aside from finances, the company’s general office morale is terrible. Two C-suite leaders left without any notice. A 20-year company veteran was let go with one day to pack up and leave. Employees are often pitted against each other and encouraged to threaten each other or throw each other under the bus to save their own skin. Lastly, the CEO of the company is one of the greediest men I’ve ever had the displeasure of working for and has shown in many clear ways how little he cares about his employees. People who have some amazing qualifications and have made great strides for the company are passed over for promotions and raises, while attractive, young women sucking up to him have been promoted after presenting one idea that still, four months later, has not produced any actual profit. He has yelled in the office, slammed his fist on desks, and I have seen him literally throw trash on the ground for other people to pick up. Whenever an employee makes even a slight nod to low office morale/ways the company could improve, he says “Then why don’t you just leave?” Anyone getting some he-who-must-not-be-named orange Leader of the Free World vibes? I’ve looked through some of the Glassdoor reviews before and love his defensive remarks back to people, especially the line: “You can't stay in business that long by being rude, mean or unfair to people.” Well, you shouldn’t be able to stay in business paying people a year late and being millions of dollars in debt either, yet here we are. And these problems are all in addition to normal everyday office nonsense, i.e. employees are overworked and underpaid, costs are cut at the expense of the employees, horrible medical insurance, constant gossip, etc. I honestly would not recommend this company to anyone, even my enemies. Thoughts and prayers to the people still stuck there.

Tiger Oak Publications2019-08-26

"run for the hills"

Former Employee - Advertising in Seattle, WA

I worked at Tiger Oak Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

there is some work flexibility

Cons

20 people have left in one year alone.. This is very verifiable! Pay checks are late to staff, free lancers lucky to get paid at all and morale is in the toilet. Owner hired a sales person with an existing non compete, so owner keeps the name of the employee off the masthead - great ethics!

Tiger Oak Publications2019-07-17

"Pretty good place to work"

I worked at Tiger Oak Publications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility to work remotely Good management team

Cons

Office politics can be frustrating

Tiger Oak Publications2019-05-21

"Meh"

Former Employee - Production

I worked at Tiger Oak Publications full-time

Pros

co-workers make it bearable to be there

Cons

very disorganized - no direction

Tiger Oak Publications2019-05-31
  9. "Relaxed Workspace"

Current Employee - Production Coordinator

I have been working at Tiger Oak Publications full-time

Pros

Work with a lot of amazing people in a cool building. Decent benefits.

Cons

No direct deposit, have to pay daily for parking

Tiger Oak Publications2019-04-02

"Worked here for one year"

Former Employee - Editor

I worked at Tiger Oak Publications full-time

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, location, employees

Cons

Pay, instability of company, upper management

Tiger Oak Publications2019-04-10