TigerDirect Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
TigerDirect Chairman & CEO Richard Leeds
Richard Leeds

Pros
  • energetic sales, high paced work environment, great spiff opportunities (in 13 reviews)

• Liked the team in the Atlanta office, good people for the most part (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement, some upper management individuals were some straight busters (in 10 reviews)

• Low pay, and low commission for hourly (in 8 reviews)

1. "Inside Sales Account Manager"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at TigerDirect full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training, flexible and nice facilities.

Cons

Nothing significantly wrong worth mentioning.

Advice to Management

Stay on top of tech trends.

2. "It was definitley not a good fit for me"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at TigerDirect (More than a year)

Pros

In house management was nice

Cons

Company as a whole was a disaster

Advice to Management

Run

"Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at TigerDirect (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with an aggressive company

Cons

The opportunity faded with all the money and management problems

Advice to Management

Define want your strengths are

5. "Great opportunity"

Former Employee - B2B Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - B2B Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at TigerDirect (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent start out pay. For meals from vendors periodically. Awesome coworkers.

Cons

Pay rate will drastically drop in 6 months due to you having learned the job and having more commission coming in. Commission scale

Advice to Management

Training could be better and streamlined

"Senior Account Manager"

Former Employee - B2B Account Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - B2B Account Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at TigerDirect (More than 10 years)

Pros

pay was good up until 2012? Was even a better company under the florentino days! Now gone and sold for pennies on the dollar to PCM

Cons

Pay was good up until they brought in a the owner to call the shots called Richard Leeds!...which has no vision and innovation. Stop treating management like puppets and quit being stubborn!

Advice to Management

Advice to Rich Leeds stay away from making the decisions use your team of leader and management to avoid losing another company.

"B2B Account Manager"

Current Employee - B2B Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at TigerDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work along side with

Cons

Low pay, have to fight for your spiffs and commissions, inept CRM in place, constant shipping issues, site shows incorrect information, have to babysit each order from entry for pricing correctness, making sure distribution receives and doesn't reject, finding correct tracking info, the list goes on......

Advice to Management

They won't listen so I won't waste my breath.

8. "Solid Work if you Have the Drive"

Current Employee - B2B Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at TigerDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Potential for $
    Good Benefits
    Lots of Free Stuff from vendors
    Lots of lunch and breakfast provided from vendors
    Great potential to earn career-boosting IT certifications

Cons

systems are a bit clunky
    account management is EXTREMELY territorial. everything must be marked a certain way or you will not get paid for it
    Not a whole lot of room to move up in the company
    Becoming a senior account manager is just a title, no extra pay, benefits, or perks

Advice to Management

Attach some sort of benefit to working hard to become a senior account manager. Also go to bat for your employees when in disputes against the consumer website for customer transactions placed over the web

9. "B2B Account Manager"

Current Employee - B2B Account Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - B2B Account Manager in Miami, FL

Pros

Great work environment, co-workers are very good, lot of freebies

Cons

They didn't tell you that the commissions are from the profit

"Good for a recent grad, but don't stay long if you don't have too!"

Current Employee - B2B Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at TigerDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Set hours. You know when you are going home. Free lunches are common on training days. Unlimited earning if you stay there long enough and you are good at selling to people.

Cons

Extremely micromanaged. Some sales manager are told to analyze exactly what we say on the phone and tell us how to say it. If it doesn't "sound good" they will literally tell you exactly what to say, which does not usually create results.

I've had a very experienced sales coach come in from a training company to give us advice during an all day "sales blitz." One sales rep who was very good about saying exactly what his sales manager wanted him to say on the phone, was actually advised by the coach NOT to say what he was saying! He sits next to me, and I watched as he had this really conflicted look on his face and said "u-uh, ok!"

There is miscommunication from upper to lower management it seems. I am told to do something one day, and why it's important that I do it, then a few weeks later, once I changed my daily routine and got used to it, I am advised to go back to what I was doing before.

The PCS sales system is not optimized at all. It is very convoluted and counter-intuitive. So much so, that most of the month long training was spent on the system alone, and not the countless other moving parts of the job. Those other aspects were briefly mentioned, but it wasn't hands on enough to really grasp all of what the job entailed. You basically train yourself as you go on the other job aspects. There is also another system called MACS that we were told was "going away," so we need to stop using/relying on its functions as much. I do that, and I get confronted about not utilizing the old system, and am suddenly told that it's not going away, so please keep using it.

Not any room for advancement. The people that do advance, do so at another company. It's actually common for people to leave after 6 months or less due to the complete lack of organization and low pay.

Advice to Management

Get rid of PCS. It's your baby, sure, but it's not going to be successful if your own reps are pulling their hair out over it.

"Thinly disguised telemarketing job"

Former Employee - B2B Account Manager in Jefferson, GA
    Former Employee - B2B Account Manager in Jefferson, GA

Pros

Training sessions with IT vendors, gained industry knowledge, got free lunches/breakfast.
    Nice workplace, free gym, local management (in my location) sympathetic to employee needs when sick/needing time off (unpaid)

Cons

Essentially minimum wage +13% commission when off initial guarantee. You have to sell at such low margins (5% or less) to make sales that you absolutely cannot make the wage promised in the interviews. Most B2B sales employees make >30,000. Being responsible for EVERYTHING related to the sale (customer service, shipping, etc.) means that you're dealing with issues that eat your sales call time for no $.

TigerDirect is only concerned with call numbers and they do not purchase call lists. New account managers are left to look up possible accounts from the internet or an internal list of former accounts, almost all of which are too small to be profitable.

Unrealistic expectations for call times/numbers.

Corporate HQ is in Miami, and if you aren't based there, with a few exceptions for good employees, you may as well not exist.

The company values call numbers above servicing existing accounts, you literally cannot do anything but make cold calls during certain times of the day as opposed to handling your actual accounts.

Tiger has a consumer website that often times offers lower prices and free shipping, try selling against that when they won't allow you to do the same thing.

Takes weeks to get anything done outside of just a run of the mill sale.

Advice to Management

Decide if you want to be a consumer or B2B company, you can't be both. Support the remote offices more, right now if you aren't in Miami, you may as well not exist.