TigerDirect Canada Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
TigerDirect Canada Chairman & CEO Richard Leeds
Richard Leeds

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Overall this is a great place to gain entry level experience (in 3 reviews)

• Great place to meet all the vendors and to understand the way the business works (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to sell when you're miserable (in 2 reviews)

• This job is basically a waste of time with poor pay (in 2 reviews)

1. "Unprofessional company in dying industry"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Company is undergoing a transformation from a very toxic culture very poor legacy management. There is opportunity for someone that is a knowledge worker - standing out and getting ahead is not very difficult.

Cons

The culture is rather inflexible and there is not much employee support or communication. There was toxic management in place which led to a lot of unethical behavior and theft from the company. Even though this exec management team was displaced, many mid managers still exist that were connected to some of the unethical behavior. The workforce and talent is rather scarce and can be frustrating for a high performer. There is a general lack of professionalism and not much collaboration throughout the company. Performance management operates from a more traditional "methods management" approach vs. results oriented.

Advice to Management

- Clean house with all mid management and hire all new management externally
    - Poach talent from competition (Amazon, NuEgg, etc.)
    - Provide training and set stretch goals for managers
    - Provide more flexibility for employees -- better mobile capability, etc.

2. "There for a little over six months and that was six months too long"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Naperville, IL

Pros

It was Monday thru Friday so at least you didn't have to work weekends.

Cons

Where do I start? The place will basically hire you if you have any sales experience at all and they know that of the 10 people they bring on, 9 will be gone within 6 months or less.
    The firings seem to be random. Some reps have terrible numbers yet still keep their job and then they let go a rep who was doing pretty well but had a bad couple of weeks. Odd.
    A few of the managers were OK but a few of them had horrible people skills. How they became managers is beyond me.
    Also, the B2B segment of the company is not very important to the suits. The website is what they care about. Very little room to move up. Just kind of an odd place.
    The training was a joke. 2 weeks of complete nothing. Sadly, towards the end of my tenure I started envying the people in the sessions. At least they didn't have to listen to the crap.
    The senior reps somehow have a sense of arrogance about them. Not sure why. Any good accounts a rep that leaves or is fired had goes directly to them. YOU are NOT going to get good leads. Everything is cold call. They give you a list of like 100 "leads" at the beginning and they are all garbage.
    They bold faced LIED during the interview process about salary and when you were eligible for PTO or vacation. You don't even get paid for a freaking holiday until you've been there 90 days?!!! That's the first job I've ever had where that was the rule. Nothing mentioned about that in the interview. I should've known as it was an unsolicited call from Career Builder. I was unemployed at the time and needed a job. They were looking for heads.
    You start out at 30K with a paltry commission and then at six months or something they drop you to half that and a higher commission but you have to have huge numbers just to get back to what you were getting per paycheck at 30K. No choice. That's contrary to what they told me (and a few other new hires with me) in the interview! We were told we would have a "choice". Not the case.
    I tried my best and did pretty well the first 4 months I was there but the demoralizing air of the place just weighed me down and it showed in my work. It's hard to sell when you're miserable. I was fired and to be honest, I was relieved. Got a new job a few weeks later and can't believe I actually wasted six months of my life there.

Advice to Management

Give your reps some leads. Actually just shut the department down. You're worthless.

"Watch your back, someone is always willing to stick a knife in it..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Depends on position - but most positions have a high turn over, so they are always looking to fill those positions.

Cons

Think of the movie Office Space, but replace the cause of bad policy and the lack of efficiency from incompetence to machismo/ego/just being mean

Advice to Management

I know Fiorentino is a busy guy. And when I first came on board, the Notes from Gil were interesting - but you have to work on building Moral - it felt like my soul was being sucked out everyday I was there....

4. "Tigerdirect... great if you are really needed. Terrible if you are a regular worker."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Pros

Stability. Some flexibility when it comes to leave. Depending on who you work for, the company is amazing... or terrible.

Cons

Hours are horrible. Raises only come when you hand in your resignation.

Advice to Management

Loosen your grip on the employees. Remove the 45 hour requirement. Be more fair about raises and reviews. Only then will you be able to build company loyalty. Make long term plans and stop thinking day to day and week to week.

5. "Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I worked at TigerDirect Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great quality of professionals to work with side by side compared to the competition.

Cons

Unfortunately the company does not see the value in professionals, reason why their employees keep on leaving to other companies.

6. "Company failed itself"

I worked at TigerDirect Canada full-time

Pros

colleagues are usually good to work with. working in the office are much better conditions than brick stores.

Cons

Upper management are snobs, look down at you, and act like they know everything when really half the things they suggest to be implemented are idiotic. They're determined to slash front end sales teams ability to make commission and adding weak bonuses (that were hardly paid out), while telling them to work harder which they're under some impression that it will motivate them more. They failed the company and because of it the brick stores closed down. Their marketing team was held back, their analyst teams were ignored.

Advice to Management

listen to those under you, they're your foundation and the ones holding the structure of the company up.

7. "Experts in Micromanagement"

Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Etobicoke, ON (Canada)

I worked at TigerDirect Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Basic salary is reasonable for a call center
    Health Plan including dental and vision
    Casual office attire

Cons

You will be micromanaged constantly and calls will be monitored.
    You are only as good as your current pay period so don't think that your past good work counts for anything.
    Training only in the first week and then when vendors visit but technical knowledge is up to employee
    Commissions are low and not much flexibility with pricing.
    Every transaction is tedious because systems are not integrated.
    Employee "discounts" are only available on specific days and not on items shipped from US to Canada.

Advice to Management

Integrate computer systems to make it easier for agents instead of making it easier to micromanage.
    Pretend to care about employees rather than assuming that they're lying when they call in sick.

8. "Meh."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond Hill, ON (Canada)

I worked at TigerDirect Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The staff (Corp Sales, Admin, CS, etc) are excellent to work with. People generally have a very positive attitude and work very hard.
    In recent years an attempt has been made to eliminate the internal corruption that has plagued the company. That has helped improve the overall morale of the organization in the last 5 years and improved employee treatment.

Cons

As an unwritten policy there is absolutely no promotion from within. New jobs are not posted for internal staff to see. HR actively seeks to hire from outside and keep new openings/jobs quiet until the role is filled.
     The upper management do not see employees as valuable assets, but rather as liabilities.
    Aside from Corporate sales, reviews are few and far between. Raises are non-existant. Salaries are low.

Advice to Management

Wake up and use the staff that you have to full advantage. Grow your employees.

9. "Great at the start, Horrible when management changed"

Former Employee - A+ PC Technician in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - A+ PC Technician in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at TigerDirect Canada part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great sales and associates to work with.
    -Hours are variable depending on position

Cons

-Management tends to have it's own agenda.
    -Company tries to make everyone have sales goals, even if you were hired without them.
    -Can be fired for the smallest thing(they will find others or a way of making it work to their advantage).

Advice to Management

Don't be sheep. TD is not the end all for the company.
    Get some morals. Selling product to the customers with false ideas is wrong. Total Defense is a horrible product, yet you make people lie to customers so they will buy it.

Pay more attention to your tech section. Either you want technicians or sales people.

10. "good at the beginning.. crap at the end"

Current Employee - Bench Technician in Burlington, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Bench Technician in Burlington, ON (Canada)

I have been working at TigerDirect Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

experience wit technology and working withthe public

Cons

garbage corporate handling of every day things

Advice to Management

run it like a Canadian company , not an american one